"Babysitting" for 13 year old?

2kidzmommie

I was hoping to spend our 18th Anniversary at signature resturant. I have a 9 yr and a 13yr. I know i have options for the 9 yr. I am not comfortable letting the 13yr or even both kids to thier own devices for 2 hrs. I did have family coming with us, but have since backed out. She dosen't need babysitting per se, just a eye on her. Do I have any options?

MagicHappens1971

I was hoping to spend our 18th Anniversary at signature resturant. I have a 9 yr and a 13yr. I know i have options for the 9 yr. I am not comfortable letting the 13yr or even both kids to thier own devices for 2 hrs. I did have family coming with us, but have since backed out. She dosen't need babysitting per se, just a eye on her. Do I have any options?
They could stay in the room, explore the resort. And no offense but it also depends how much you trust the 9 year old. I asked my mom about this because she has left my sister and I (im 13 and shes 8) on a cruise every night for the whole trip by ourselves. Are you staying at a disney resort?

Upvote 0

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Would you hesitate to leave your 13 year old in charge of the 9 year old for a couple of hours if you were home? If not, then let them stay in the hotel room, with snacks and a kid friendly meal, like pizza and watch ALL the Disney TV they want. Make sure you tell the 13 year old there will be consequences if she or her sister leaves the room for any reason other than an emergency (and my experience, you will need to define "an emergency") or answers the door. I would also give the resort, like Housekeeping or the front desk, a heads up, just in case something happens, so they know.

And be prepared to get texts and calls from the kids during your romantic adult dinner. lol

Upvote 0

Disvillain63

Due to weather concerns at a marathon a few years ago, we gave our 13 year old charge priviledges. Both children (ages 10 &13) stayed at the resort (value), got up on their own, and went to breakfast at the QS restaurant, returned to the room, and waited for our return. They watched television, read, played video games. If it hadn't been raining and brutally cold, they may have explored some.

Upvote 0

CAPTAIN HOOK

Serious question - are there any legal restrictions in the US which dictate at what age a child can be left alone in charge of another ?

If not, and you're comfortable at leaving them alone for two hours then go for it. I'd just make sure that they have a phone on which they can contact your mobile in case of an emergency

Upvote 0

CheshireCat12

Serious question - are there any legal restrictions in the US which dictate at what age a child can be left alone in charge of another ?

If not, and you're comfortable at leaving them alone for two hours then go for it. I'd just make sure that they have a phone on which they can contact your mobile in case of an emergency
I think this varies state to state.

Upvote 0

2kidzmommie

Original Poster
Thank you for your responsess. We will be staying at the resort and have they been left in charge of themselves at home. I was hoping for a monitored activity they both could attend. We are considering letting them explore the resort(Wl), but not into the parks. I'm just not there yet.

Upvote 0

LAKid53

Premium Member
I don't think security would let a 9 year old into to the parks with just a 13 year old accompanying them. At least I hope they wouldn't.

Not that I'm a big proponent, but there is a nice video game arcade at Wilderness Lodge. I would be hesitant to let a 9 year old wander around that resort, with just a 13 year old supervising, since they can wander themselves down to the boat dock or beach at night.

Upvote 0

MagicHappens1971

I don't think security would let a 9 year old into to the parks with just a 13 year old accompanying them. At least I hope they wouldn't.

Not that I'm a big proponent, but there is a nice video game arcade at Wilderness Lodge. I would be hesitant to let a 9 year old wander around that resort, with just a 13 year old supervising, since they can wander themselves down to the boat dock or beach at night.
They would. I (13) have walked my (9) year old sister into the parks while our parents were still at security. Even if we ran to the park entrance and the cast members at the turnstiles couldn't see our parents.

Upvote 0

MagicHappens1971

According to the florida website LEGALLY 12, http://www.dcf.state.fl.us/programs/childwelfare/caregivers/whentoleaveyourkidshomealone.shtml, however they don't SUGGEST you leave a child under the age of 15 in charge of your younger child. Its all personal preference though.

Upvote 0

dreamfinder

You could look into something from Kids Night Out or Fairy Godmothers, see if they will watch a 13 yo. It would basically be a babysitter, but if you are already going to pay for one, I think the costs are trivial to add the other.

Upvote 0

Lucky

They could stay in the room, explore the resort. And no offense but it also depends how much you trust the 9 year old. I asked my mom about this because she has left my sister and I (im 13 and shes 8) on a cruise every night for the whole trip by ourselves. Are you staying at a disney resort?
From your posts that's about how old I thought you were. But your profile says 18.

Upvote 0

stevehousse

I honestly think a 13 year old Teenager would be extremely embarrassed to be left with a babysitter! If you let your 13 year old stay home alone at home then doing it at Disney will be no different. Have some faith in your teenager and show her you trust her! Offer her a special souvenir she wanted or something if everything goes well!

Upvote 0

kels650

When I was 11 and 12 my mother and father would send me from the deep corners of the Caribbean beach or all-stars to get us drinks -they were not so used to walking back then and it was only our first and second trip so I'm sure we took the longest paths ever. I was certainly full of energy at that age and I would like to say I was well behaved, but I was also adventurous. I also knew the rules and the consequences that awaited me which were by no means dry threats, should I choose do something I am not supposed to. I made the many, many, many trips back and forth alone and it was never an issue. I agree with above posters, it really is individual to the child and if they are at a mature enough point to know what is okay and not okay and to know what to do if something unexpected or bad happens then more than likely they will be fine. If there are clear boundaries set, and your children can handle it at home, I would say go for it. The 13yo might love it, seeing it as a sign of being thought of as more grown up.

Upvote 0

LAKid53

Premium Member
They would. I (13) have walked my (9) year old sister into the parks while our parents were still at security. Even if we ran to the park entrance and the cast members at the turnstiles couldn't see our parents.

From your posts that's about how old I thought you were. But your profile says 18.

Which is a dumb thing for Disney to allow. If I had been that CM at the turnstile, I would have prevented you and your 9 year old sister from entering until your parents showed up. Especially with a 9 year old in tow.

Upvote 0

Rob562

Which is a dumb thing for Disney to allow. If I had been that CM at the turnstile, I would have prevented you and your 9 year old sister from entering until your parents showed up. Especially with a 9 year old in tow.

They're slightly under the Disney rules, which are officially:
"Children under age 14 must be accompanied by a Guest age 14 or older to enter the following Walt Disney World parks and locations:
  • Magic Kingdom Park
  • Apcot
  • Disney's Hollywood Studios
  • Disney's Animal Kingdom Park
  • Disney's Typhoon Lagoon Water Park
  • Disney's Blizzard Beach Water Park
  • DisneyQuest Indoor Interactive Theme Park"
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/faq/parks/minimum-age/

-Rob

Upvote 0

jaklgreen

I have 2 girls 12&13 yo. I would allow them at WDW to take care of themselves for a couple of hours. Mainly because I feel they are aware of the dangers and can be smart about it. Also I feel that a Disney resort is a good place for them to walk around together with all of the other families that are always around. I think your kids would be fine alone for a couple of hours. Just tell them to make sure they don't lock themselves out of their room.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom