Pre-Trip BABYNERD MEETS MICKEY! Baby's first WDW trip PTR

Well hey there! I haven't done a trip report in quite awhile. Honestly not since my honeymoon! Things have been hella busy around here since then. We went to Disney again in December 2012 and June 2013 with DH's family, we went to Aulani in June 2014 with DH's family (DH's brother is DVC), then Disney again in August 2014 by ourselves to celebrate our 2nd anniversary, although my mom joined us for a few days of the trip.
While we were at Disney last August, I started feeling "different" but ignored it. A few days after we returned home, I realized that DUH I might be pregnant.... I took a test and I was right! Babynerd had been on ALL the rides at Disney (ToT, Space Mountain, and the Mine Train etc). I even drank a margarita at the Boardwalk pool with my mom and I'm proud to say that Babynerd was born in perfect shape, even after rollercoasters, possessed elevators, and fruity alcoholic beverages in his very, very earliest stage. Of course, I gave up all that when I saw those two pink lines!
If you don't remember, we are Lauren and Chris.
Lauren: 35, French Teacher
Chris: 42, Programmer (Code Monkey)
We are huge nerds and are incredibly proud of it. We love Doctor Who, Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, MST3K, Comic books, etc, etc.....and are of course HUGE Disney nerds.
10514663_10152460755054191_3055720235797248000_n.jpg

The new addition to the family is our son Tristan. He was born in April and will soon be 3 months old, and will be 4 months when we take our trip.

11401448_10153137711209191_2313881341939540742_n.jpg

11542101_10153186401384191_1968970288331746923_n.jpg

We are so in love with this little guy and we can't wait to bring him to see the mouse! People do the typical "He's too young, he won't remember" blahbity-blah when we mention it, but we say that the trip is for us, he just happens to be coming along! The memories are going to be wonderful for US, and that's all that matters. Besides, it's not like we can leave him home alone, I can't imagine the parties he'll have while we're gone. It will be so nice to be able to spend time just the three of us in our favorite place in the world. My DH is truly a wonderful father and hates that he only gets to be with us in the evenings
ANYWHO....
We are going for 10 days in August and staying at Animal Kingdom Lodge Villas, Kidani Village in a studio. I have visited AKL several times but never actually stayed there so I'm stoked!! We reserved through David's Vacation Club rentals. This is the 3rd time we've gone through them and have been very pleased. We will go this route until we pay off SOMETHING and can then buy into DVC. Someday.....sigh.

Logistics:
We usually plan our trips with much more activity but this time are going to go Tristan's pace. He is a good-tempered baby and only really gets upset when he's hungry, exhausted, or has a tummyache. Other than that, he's becoming a very smiley, happy little guy.
-We are flying Southwest out of Pittsburgh, which is a quick 2-hour hop down to Orlando, so we decided Tristan will just be a lap child instead of bringing his carseat and our expensive travel system stroller to get beat up in transit. We also don't want to lug our big stroller on and off the Disney buses, since we have to fold it and take it up the step. We bought a 60-dollar lightweight stroller that we absolutely love, plus a summer infant stroller support insert to give him some added cushioning since he is a bit small for his age and only in the 15th percentile. He is just starting to hold up his head for extended periods, but we wanted to have a nice soft place for him to nap during the day. We also bought a stroller fan to keep him cool! I plan on making a laminated sign with our name on it and some sort of big ribbon so that we can identify our stroller quickly when it gets moved.
-We're bringing our Ergobaby carrier so that we can wear him in line for rides and in the non-stroller areas
-Tristan is breastfed so I am really looking forward to checking out the baby care centers to get out of the heat! I also pump so he will take a bottle from DH on and off during the day when we are further away from the baby care centers.
-We plan on ordering a case of diapers and wipes from Garden Grocer so we don't have to bring them. We always bring snacks in to the parks like Clif bars and crackers, so this time we will order them along with the diapers. We will also probably order bottles of water and pepsi.
-We got annual passes since there is a June or July 2016 trip already being planned with the family. There is truly something magical about being able to go into a park, buy a pretzel, and march right back out again whenever you want. LOL

Day 1- We planned a later flight than normal, which will allow us plenty of time to park the car at the Parking Spot and take the shuttle. We'll go through security and get to our gate, which we know will take longer than usual since we have a baby. We're flying Southwest out of Pittsburgh at 10AM-ish, and will arrive in Orlando at around noon. From there we'll take the ME to Kidani Village! Hopefully our room will be ready, but it more than likely it won't be, in which case we'll leave our carry-ons at the desk, get changed, and head off to Animal Kingdom. We made fastpasses for Kilamanjaro Safaris, Festival of the Lion King, and to meet whichever character happens to be at the Adventures outpost. If we don't make any of these FP's we're not worried, because the main reason for going to AK is to have dinner at Tusker House, which is something I've never done. We have a 6:15 ADR there. Afterward, we'll probably head back to the room and maybe have a swim, depending on how the little guy is doing.

Day 2- We have breakfast ADR's at Boma. I love the Jungle Juice there!!!!
I desperately want to get to the World of Disney store to get some baby outfits!!! We are going to head to Downtown Disney for the afternoon, and have lunch ADR's at Rainforest Cafe. Evening poolside!

Day 3-
My DH stayed at Coronado Springs once a long time ago, and he loved it there so we are going to visit and have breakfast/lunch at Pepper Market, then explore. This will just be a chill day.

Day 4- Possibly Hollywood Studios? We shall see. Since it's the closest park to AKL, we might go early, go back and have a nap and a swim, then return later. We'll go baby's pace!

Day 5-
Our 3rd wedding anniversary! We have breakfast ADR's at Crystal Palace. Baby's room is Winnie-the-Pooh themed and Pooh has always been my favorite character, so we need pics!
We are meeting Mickey at Town Square between 10 and 11- this is also something I've never done! We've never been in the character-meeting crowd before...we'd stop if there was a relatively short line and it was someone we liked or we are passing the Disney Character Spot in Epcot for Disney credit card holders, but now that we're parents we need to get this kid's picture with everyone before he gets to the age where he could be scared of them!
We also made fastpasses for Peter Pan, and then lastly Mine Train, which we will use rider switch for. I absolutely loved that ride last year so I want to get on it at least once. I'm sure we will do pretty much everything we can ride with a baby, which is a pretty extensive list for the Magic Kingdom.

Day 6 and up...
We don't have concrete plans yet. I am sure we will be at Epcot at least 2 partial days, and Magic Kingdom at least once more. This is honestly the least amount of planning we've ever done. I'm kind of enjoying this flying-by-the-seat-of-my-pants thing! We do plan on resting a lot more on this trip and enjoying our savannah view at AKL, and just enjoying the resort in general.

So what do you think? Comments? Suggestions? Byeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Last edited:

TaraWdopeyfan

Have a great trip. We took our youngest when she was 2 1/2 months old. We took lots of pictures so when she's older she can see all the fun she had.

And your son is adorable

brb1006

Well hey there! I haven't done a trip report in quite awhile. Honestly not since my honeymoon! Things have been hella busy around here since then. We went to Disney again in December 2012 and June 2013 with DH's family, we went to Aulani in June 2014 with DH's family (DH's brother is DVC), then Disney again in August 2014 by ourselves to celebrate our 2nd anniversary, although my mom joined us for a few days of the trip.
While we were at Disney last August, I started feeling "different" but ignored it. A few days after we returned home, I realized that DUH I might be pregnant.... I took a test and I was right! Babynerd had been on ALL the rides at Disney (ToT, Space Mountain, and the Mine Train etc). I even drank a margarita at the Boardwalk pool with my mom and I'm proud to say that Babynerd was born in perfect shape, even after rollercoasters, possessed elevators, and fruity alcoholic beverages in his very, very earliest stage. Of course, I gave up all that when I saw those two pink lines!
If you don't remember, we are Lauren and Chris.
Lauren: 35, French Teacher
Chris: 42, Programmer (Code Monkey)
We are huge nerds and are incredibly proud of it. We love Doctor Who, Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, MST3K, Comic books, etc, etc.....and are of course HUGE Disney nerds.
10514663_10152460755054191_3055720235797248000_n.jpg

The new addition to the family is our son Tristan. He was born in April and will soon be 3 months old, and will be 4 months when we take our trip.

11401448_10153137711209191_2313881341939540742_n.jpg

11542101_10153186401384191_1968970288331746923_n.jpg

We are so in love with this little guy and we can't wait to bring him to see the mouse! People do the typical "He's too young, he won't remember" blahbity-blah when we mention it, but we say that the trip is for us, he just happens to be coming along! The memories are going to be wonderful for US, and that's all that matters. Besides, it's not like we can leave him home alone, I can't imagine the parties he'll have while we're gone. It will be so nice to be able to spend time just the three of us in our favorite place in the world. My DH is truly a wonderful father and hates that he only gets to be with us in the evenings
ANYWHO....
We are going for 10 days in August and staying at Animal Kingdom Lodge Villas, Kidani Village in a studio. I have visited AKL several times but never actually stayed there so I'm stoked!! We reserved through David's Vacation Club rentals. This is the 3rd time we've gone through them and have been very pleased. We will go this route until we pay off SOMETHING and can then buy into DVC. Someday.....sigh.

Logistics:
We usually plan our trips with much more activity but this time are going to go Tristan's pace. He is a good-tempered baby and only really gets upset when he's hungry, exhausted, or has a tummyache. Other than that, he's becoming a very smiley, happy little guy.
-We are flying Southwest out of Pittsburgh, which is a quick 2-hour hop down to Orlando, so we decided Tristan will just be a lap child instead of bringing his carseat and our expensive travel system stroller to get beat up in transit. We also don't want to lug our big stroller on and off the Disney buses, since we have to fold it and take it up the step. We bought a 60-dollar lightweight stroller that we absolutely love, plus a summer infant stroller support insert to give him some added cushioning since he is a bit small for his age and only in the 15th percentile. He is just starting to hold up his head for extended periods, but we wanted to have a nice soft place for him to nap during the day. We also bought a stroller fan to keep him cool! I plan on making a laminated sign with our name on it and some sort of big ribbon so that we can identify our stroller quickly when it gets moved.
-We're bringing our Ergobaby carrier so that we can wear him in line for rides and in the non-stroller areas
-Tristan is breastfed so I am really looking forward to checking out the baby care centers to get out of the heat! I also pump so he will take a bottle from DH on and off during the day when we are further away from the baby care centers.
-We plan on ordering a case of diapers and wipes from Garden Grocer so we don't have to bring them. We always bring snacks in to the parks like Clif bars and crackers, so this time we will order them along with the diapers. We will also probably order bottles of water and pepsi.
-We got annual passes since there is a June or July 2016 trip already being planned with the family. There is truly something magical about being able to go into a park, buy a pretzel, and march right back out again whenever you want. LOL

Day 1- We planned a later flight than normal, which will allow us plenty of time to park the car at the Parking Spot and take the shuttle. We'll go through security and get to our gate, which we know will take longer than usual since we have a baby. We're flying Southwest out of Pittsburgh at 10AM-ish, and will arrive in Orlando at around noon. From there we'll take the ME to Kidani Village! Hopefully our room will be ready, but it more than likely it won't be, in which case we'll leave our carry-ons at the desk, get changed, and head off to Animal Kingdom. We made fastpasses for Kilamanjaro Safaris, Festival of the Lion King, and to meet whichever character happens to be at the Adventures outpost. If we don't make any of these FP's we're not worried, because the main reason for going to AK is to have dinner at Tusker House, which is something I've never done. We have a 6:15 ADR there. Afterward, we'll probably head back to the room and maybe have a swim, depending on how the little guy is doing.

Day 2- We have breakfast ADR's at Boma. I love the Jungle Juice there!!!!
I desperately want to get to the World of Disney store to get some baby outfits!!! We are going to head to Downtown Disney for the afternoon, and have lunch ADR's at Rainforest Cafe. Evening poolside!

Day 3-
My DH stayed at Coronado Springs once a long time ago, and he loved it there so we are going to visit and have breakfast/lunch at Pepper Market, then explore. This will just be a chill day.

Day 4- Possibly Hollywood Studios? We shall see. Since it's the closest park to AKL, we might go early, go back and have a nap and a swim, then return later. We'll go baby's pace!

Day 5-
Our 3rd wedding anniversary! We have breakfast ADR's at Crystal Palace. Baby's room is Winnie-the-Pooh themed and Pooh has always been my favorite character, so we need pics!
We are meeting Mickey at Town Square between 10 and 11- this is also something I've never done! We've never been in the character-meeting crowd before...we'd stop if there was a relatively short line and it was someone we liked or we are passing the Disney Character Spot in Epcot for Disney credit card holders, but now that we're parents we need to get this kid's picture with everyone before he gets to the age where he could be scared of them!
We also made fastpasses for Peter Pan, and then lastly Mine Train, which we will use rider switch for. I absolutely loved that ride last year so I want to get on it at least once. I'm sure we will do pretty much everything we can ride with a baby, which is a pretty extensive list for the Magic Kingdom.

Day 6 and up...
We don't have concrete plans yet. I am sure we will be at Epcot at least 2 partial days, and Magic Kingdom at least once more. This is honestly the least amount of planning we've ever done. I'm kind of enjoying this flying-by-the-seat-of-my-pants thing! We do plan on resting a lot more on this trip and enjoying our savannah view at AKL, and just enjoying the resort in general.

So what do you think? Comments? Suggestions? Byeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
If you're planning on heading back to the Magic Kingdom. I would really recommend you and you're son to meet Marie from The Aristocats. She can be found near the Roy Disney and Minnie Mouse statue near the flag pole. She comes out at 10:30am during days when it's nice outside. But that might have changed since my Senior Trip last month. Be sure to talk with a local cast member once you head inside Town Hall. Marie does the cutest meet and greets with guests and especially children. I hope you read this and have fun with the rest of the trip.

boilerpicc

I had the same experience that you did. I found out I was pregnant a couple of weeks after getting back from WDW. I rode all of the rides, drank alcohol, ate sushi. If I wasn't supposed to do it while pregnant, I did it during that trip. I'm pretty sure that ended up making my daughter really smart and a Disney fan for life!

We took our daughter at 3 months. Your plans seem pretty much on point, based on our experience. Good call with taking both a stroller and a carrier. We were able to take the stroller into almost all of the restaurants we went to (Crystal Palace and Coral Reef were the exceptions), which was great because kiddo could get some nap time in while we ate. Also, the baby care centers are AWESOME! You will have so much fun!

lovenerds2012

Original Poster
Have a great trip. We took our youngest when she was 2 1/2 months old. We took lots of pictures so when she's older she can see all the fun she had.

And your son is adorable

That's great news! Yes we are planning on showing him all his pictures, especially one with Mickey!

If you're planning on heading back to the Magic Kingdom. I would really recommend you and you're son to meet Marie from The Aristocats. She can be found near the Roy Disney and Minnie Mouse statue near the flag pole. She comes out at 10:30am during days when it's nice outside. But that might have changed since my Senior Trip last month. Be sure to talk with a local cast member once you head inside Town Hall. Marie does the cutest meet and greets with guests and especially children. I hope you read this and have fun with the rest of the trip.
I saw Marie once when I was there, and it's funny because I just watched the Aristocats! Too cute!

Have great trip! We took our youngest when she was 8 months old & it was one of the best trips we ever had! Enjoy!!!
I keep hearing people who say their best trips are when they have taken their babies. Two more weeks!!!

Have a great, marvelous and magical trip! No suggestions to add! Thanks for sharing!
Thanks! Can't wait!

Reading along!! Tristan is adorable! You guys are going to have so much fun !
Thank you! We think he's a charmer too :)

I had the same experience that you did. I found out I was pregnant a couple of weeks after getting back from WDW. I rode all of the rides, drank alcohol, ate sushi. If I wasn't supposed to do it while pregnant, I did it during that trip. I'm pretty sure that ended up making my daughter really smart and a Disney fan for life!

We took our daughter at 3 months. Your plans seem pretty much on point, based on our experience. Good call with taking both a stroller and a carrier. We were able to take the stroller into almost all of the restaurants we went to (Crystal Palace and Coral Reef were the exceptions), which was great because kiddo could get some nap time in while we ate. Also, the baby care centers are AWESOME! You will have so much fun!

That's awesome! I'm glad we will be able to bring the stroller in some of the restaurants so he can nap. We are having breakfast at Crystal Palace though but we will want him awake for that! And I am totally pumped for the baby care centers!

If you're planning on heading back to the Magic Kingdom. I would really recommend you and you're son to meet Marie from The Aristocats.

I'm 25 and I still love meeting Marie. It made my BF's day when she made a huge deal over his Phillies shirt once. Aristocats is my absolute favorite Disney film, and I wish it had more of a presence in the parks. Other than Pooh and Tigger, who are always really fun and make a fuss over us even though we are adults (a lot of characters act awkward with us), Marie is definitely my favorite. I agree that she's one of the best M&Gs for little ones! On that note, you should definitely watch the film with Tristan before your trip if you haven't already. I feel like it's always overlooked in favor of the newer films.

PS- I am in love with the name Tristan- have been since middle school- and have it picked out for my future child (even though we aren't planning on children). Just wanted to say that! :)

brb1006

I'm 25 and I still love meeting Marie. It made my BF's day when she made a huge deal over his Phillies shirt once. Aristocats is my absolute favorite Disney film, and I wish it had more of a presence in the parks. Other than Pooh and Tigger, who are always really fun and make a fuss over us even though we are adults (a lot of characters act awkward with us), Marie is definitely my favorite. I agree that she's one of the best M&Gs for little ones! On that note, you should definitely watch the film with Tristan before your trip if you haven't already. I feel like it's always overlooked in favor of the newer films.

PS- I am in love with the name Tristan- have been since middle school- and have it picked out for my future child (even though we aren't planning on children). Just wanted to say that! :)
I remember meeting other character during my Senior Trip. The only awkward one was with Goofy than again this is Goofy we're talking about. But Marie is one of those meet and greet characters that children and even teens and adults would enjoy. I literally could not stop smiling when I seen her walking to her meet and greet spot and when she kissed me when ever she hugged me. I think she had crush on me when I told her about me searching for her. She started flirting with me when she finished signing my autograph book when I first seen her. I can only imagine how Tristan will feel when he first meets her. She even made a crying gesture when I told her this is our last day at WDW. She even blew a farewell kiss as I left the line.

Various Aristocats merchandise featuring Marie can be found in various parks in WDW. But the France Pavilion in Epcot is the easiest to find anything related to The Aristocats. Tokyo Disneyland has alot of Aristocats merchandise due to the popularity of Marie other there.

Last edited:

brb1006

That's great news! Yes we are planning on showing him all his pictures, especially one with Mickey!

I saw Marie once when I was there, and it's funny because I just watched the Aristocats! Too cute!

I keep hearing people who say their best trips are when they have taken their babies. Two more weeks!!!

Thanks! Can't wait!

Thank you! We think he's a charmer too :)

That's awesome! I'm glad we will be able to bring the stroller in some of the restaurants so he can nap. We are having breakfast at Crystal Palace though but we will want him awake for that! And I am totally pumped for the baby care centers!
Tristan would love seeing Marie when you visit the Magic Kingdom sometime between 10:30 or the afternoon.

12in12

Tristan is too cute! I love that pic of him with the glasses. I'm sure you will have an amazing trip. Enjoy!

Jaly05

He is precious! I know so many moms who drank early pregnancy before they knew (myself included with BOTH kids) .I really think our bodies naturally protect them that early for that very reason. He may be too young to remember but he will probably be the easy as he'll hang out in the stroller or carrier just happy to be along for the ride. I think it's a smart strategy to leave enough time for taking it easy. Enjoy!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom