1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

Avengers Half Marathon Weekend

Discussion in 'Running at WDW' started by Mad Stitch, Feb 23, 2014.

1. Mad Stitch

Mad Stitch Premium Member

runDisney is at it again with what is probably going to be another over dramatic announcement.

[​IMG]

I guessing something about the W&D race since registration opens a week later. Do we need an official runDisney rumors pinned thread?

Texas84 likes this.
  2. Belle2013

Belle2013 Member

I have heard guesses of a Marvel Half but that would have to be done in California I believe. I thought there were 2-3 new races that were supposed to be announced this year but I could be wrong (or they changed plans).

3. surfsupdon

surfsupdon Well-Known Member

Yeah, the Internet seems to think it's a Marvel/ Superhero race. But that is ALL conjecture, and guessing, and probably hoping.

I'd like to see something p retty cool announced.

#smashthehalf

4. FerretAfros

FerretAfros Well-Known Member

A family friend of mine has very close ties to runDisney and their decision makers, especially regarding DLR races. When I talked to him in January he said that they were definitely planning 2 new race weekends for DLR, that they wouldn't be longer than a half, and that at least one of them would be a nighttime race. He didn't know anything about the themes of the races, but this certainly seems to support the Marvel/Avengers rumors (and Marvel Half Marathon does have a certain ring to it)

Texas84 likes this.
  5. durangojim

durangojim Well-Known Member

If it was Marvel related, it would make sense as SMASH is a Hulk phrase.

6. Katherine

Katherine Well-Known Member

Oh man if it's a night time race in DLR, I'm there! That sounds so fun! One more sleep until we all know!

7. LindsayLoves

LindsayLoves Well-Known Member

I just saw that they posted the time of the announcement at 8:35am PST, which puts the money on Disneyland for the race location if there was a doubt about that.

8. FerretAfros

FerretAfros Well-Known Member

Avengers Half Marathon, November 14-16 at Disneyland. Registration opens March 25. Weekend will include a 5K and Kid's Races
    http://www.rundisney.com/avengers-half-marathon/?src=launch-dpbp

Personally, I'm not super into the character/franchise-oriented races. I prefer the broader themes at Marathon Weekend, DL1/2 and W&D, but I can't deny that this will be popular or that DLR needs another race. Interesting that it's right after W&D, so people can do back-to-back weekends again (looks like I know what I'm doing...again)

LindsayLoves likes this.
  9. Mad Stitch

Mad Stitch Original Poster Premium Member

Meh... not interested.

I agree, and with the rumor that Star Wars is taking the place of Expedition Everest I hope character/franchise races don't become the new trend.

Texas84 likes this.
  10. a2grafix

a2grafix Well-Known Member

Lifted from runDisney.com, the prices are consistent with this year's pricing. Nearly $200 to register for the Avengers Half Marathon, $70 for the Super Heroes 5k, and $135 for the pasta in the park party. Gulp. #Hulksmashmybankaccount ....

Avengers Super Heroes Half Marathon
    • $195 by April 29, 2014
    • $210 between April 30 and June 24, 2014
    • $225 on or after June 25, 2014
    Avengers Super Heroes 5K

• $70 by August 20, 2014
    • $80 on or after August 21, 2014
    runDisney Kids Races

• $20 by August 20, 2014
    • $25 on or after August 21, 2014
    Pasta In The Park Party

• Adult with ticket - $135
    • Adult without ticket - $89
    • Youth with ticket - $115
    • Youth without ticket - $69
    • Under 3 - $0
    ChEAR Squad

• Bronze - $0
    • Silver - $39
    • Gold - $59
    • Platinum - $99
    • Under 3 - $0

Texas84 likes this.
  11. dreamfinder

dreamfinder Well-Known Member

Those prices are crazy. I do applaud the theme and location, DLR needs more races to hopefully help lessen the insanity that is people trying to get the C2C at the other 2 races. And it's a male oriented theme. They need something to counter the Tink/Princess races. An Avengers/Star Wars C2C special medal anyone? And while I can see that locking a race into a certain theme does somewhat limit it's lifespan, (Who knows how popular the Avengers will be in 5 years) there are only so many generic themes they can use, so at some point they need to tie it to something.

12. wdwmagic

wdwmagic Administrator Moderator

Wow that is expensive. Would love to do these events but no way can I afford this for the two of us. Especially when you factor in all the costs that go with it.

Pumpkin Phoenix, JillC LI and Eeyore like this.
  13. a2grafix

Totally agree with you Steve. In 2013 I decided to challenge myself with my first-ever coast to coast and succeeded, but I'm still paying for it and others after I committed / ran five half marathons in 2013 and prepaid for a sixth and seventh half in 2014. The fifth half marathon unfortunately was canceled due to ice and cold (St. Jude Memphis Half Dec. 7, and I still plan on running the course in the next month or so when I gets warmer) and I "raised" $500 for St. Jude, $320 of which came out of pocket.

I thought the 2013 runDisney half prices were expensive at $175 before tax and adding the price of a limited pin, and I know this is Disney and it's the Disney touch and prices to cover volunteers, race coordination and medals is expensive. But I also had to factor in park tickets, roundtrip airfare (Memphis is a black hole when it comes to airfare - high priced), hotel accommodations, food, airport travel, and incidentals. Glad that I saved some money staying at Shades of Green for the Wine and Dine Half, but had to pay an airfare change fee because I could not leave the day before the race. Instead I flew down on race day Nov. 9 and was back home in 24 hours.

I look forward to running in a future runDisney half marathon but as of now $195 before tax and before every other cost associated with it, is out of my price range right now.

14. joel_maxwell

joel_maxwell Permanent Resident of EPCOT

OMG OMG. $195 for 13.1 miles. Are you kidding me. $70 for a 5k. Holy cow that is $22 a mile.

Im glad I didnt waste $5 on a runDisney sticker for my car. It would be coming off. That is embarrassing.

Im going to point and laugh one day when this bubble burst. It'll be a long time, but they are going to out price themselves if they havent already.

The only thing that is reasonable is the Kids Races. Id pay $20 for a mile race for the kids.

wdwmagic, LindsayLoves and Eeyore like this.
  15. joel_maxwell

I paid $75 for the first W&D in 2010.

16. Texas84

Texas84 DVC Fan Boy Premium Member

Yeah, not for me but good for DLR. They need it. But if there is a Star Wars run at WDW it is on.

a2grafix likes this.
  17. a2grafix

Ha! I raise you $100. I paid $175 plus tax for the 2013 W&D Half. See above ^^^

18. LindsayLoves

LindsayLoves Well-Known Member

Agreed.

19. Maryssa*

Maryssa* Well-Known Member

So. Excited. DLR is my local park so I'm thrilled for this! Even have a bunch of friends wanting to go with me finally!

20. joel_maxwell

To each his own.... but Ill stick to my $1.50 a mile events in the woods and skip the $15 a mile on Osceola Pkwy.

Again, I want anyone to do what they want, but I am amazed that people pay this. Simply amazed.