Avengers: Age of Ultron

CaptainAmerica

Well not so much your "boo this man" comment as much as the not taking the time to actually read someone's comments. It made me think of one of these teenage Marvel fanboys who say "Well, you don't like what we like and I never actually read your argument, but I disagree with everything because I said so".
I did read your post. The whole thing. My TL;DR comment was a joking way to say "for future readers who aren't going to bother with your long post, I'll summarize by saying 'boo this man.'"

CaptainAmerica

First off I want to thank you submitting your post, there was a lot of honestly behind it. To be fair I suppose my frustrations behind the MCU stem from the fact that I did not always feel this way. Back in 2008 I found Iron Man 1 mind-blowing, same with The Incredible Hulk, and CA:TFA. They represented, to me what everyone else sees a Marvel film as. I guess what drives my frustration so much is that I know Marvel, Pixar, all these companies are capable of pushing the envelope (they showed they can with films like TWS), and it aggravates me that they are complacent in just being the summer movie popcorn flick (it's like a father looking at his son wasting his life instead of working towards bettering it). Yes, humor is a great tool, comedies are my personal favorite genre but how come there are no "best comedy" categories at the Oscars? Because the "academy" does not consider them to be quality films. Maybe I'm just that one guy who wants Marvel to be recognized by the people who mock them, to put out a film where even they can not have criticisms towards it. "Oh, it's just muscular heroes in bright costumes", and in all honesty, yeah when you have heroes running around spouting off banter with no real impact on anything, those people have a point.
But that's exactly what comic books (i.e. the source material) are. Muscular heroes in bright costumes spouting off banter with no real impact on anything.

Might I suggest the Netflix Daredevil series for your consideration? That guy gets his butt beat and it has real personal and psychological consequences.

NMBC1993

I did read your post. The whole thing. My TL;DR comment was a joking way to say "for future readers who aren't going to bother with your long post, I'll summarize by saying 'boo this man.'"

Ah, I see. Unfortunately for me, I do tend to take those things serious when I'm in the moment (why do you think I hate snark so much?;))

But that's exactly what comic books (i.e. the source material) are. Muscular heroes in bright costumes spouting off banter with no real impact on anything.

Might I suggest the Netflix Daredevil series for your consideration? That guy gets his butt beat and it has real personal and psychological consequences.

Thank you for your suggestion, I actually bookmarked the new Daredevil series the other day and plan to start watching it this week. To be fair though when I say I want consequences in film, it's not the same to just have the character beaten up because that is no different than the MCU films where the villains and other character already beat up on each other. Now if the series showed how Daredevil's becoming a hero and stopping crime effected the city around him, what the damage is to the citizens and how it effects their lives, then yeah that is the type of character development I'm looking for. That and they need to create a villain that actually feels like a threat. I don't want the villain to be taken out by Daredevil's non-superhero lawyer buddy or anything.

Matt_Black

And that's very fair. It's not unlike working for a comic with strict editorial control.

Marvel keeps a tight rein on things, and that is not for everybody, directors and actors included. On the other hand, they've managed to make incredible films while making a coherent (for the most part) continuity on a grand scale.

While there's a point to be made for the artistic vision of the director, there's a similar point that certain edicts need to be maintained as these are characters with decades of cultural cache in some cases. For example, look at the recent news regarding the Wonder Woman film. The original director was let go because, allegedly, she wanted a very different take, including having a talking tiger which... just... huh? Maybe she wanted to capture the spirit of the old Golden Age comics, or maybe she got confused and thought she was making a Shazam! movie, but the fact is there has never, ever been a talking tiger associated with Wonder Woman. (And, honestly, if you want to give Wonder Woman a "super-pet" there's a perfectly fitting candidate already.)

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
Yeah the title is click bait - "Soul Crushing" But Joss doesn't really talk like that in the article. It explains why decided to not sign on for the next movie. It's a lot of hard work.

Matt_Black

Yeah the title is click bait - "Soul Crushing" But Joss doesn't really talk like that in the article. It explains why decided to not sign on for the next movie. It's a lot of hard work.

I get that. At the end of this year, we'll have had 12 Marvel films with 10 different directors (11, if you count the Russos as 2 guys.) Favreau, Whedon, and now the Russos and Gunn are the only guys who can take the heat to do more than one film with Marvel and if history repeats, the Russos and Gunn probably won't do a third.

I've liked Favreau's comments. He could have gone the Mickey Rourke route (who was VERY unhappy with how Iron Man 2 was made); instead, he's focused on the good and how his acting role in IM3 was like a grandparent playing with the kids, knowing he can just focus on the fun now and ditch the hard parts.

Launchpad McQuack

I get that. At the end of this year, we'll have had 12 Marvel films with 10 different directors (11, if you count the Russos as 2 guys.) Favreau, Whedon, and now the Russos and Gunn are the only guys who can take the heat to do more than one film with Marvel and if history repeats, the Russos and Gunn probably won't do a third.

I've liked Favreau's comments. He could have gone the Mickey Rourke route (who was VERY unhappy with how Iron Man 2 was made); instead, he's focused on the good and how his acting role in IM3 was like a grandparent playing with the kids, knowing he can just focus on the fun now and ditch the hard parts.

Regarding the Russos, as of right now, they will actually be doing four Marvel movies... Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Captain America: Civil War, Avengers: Infinity War Part 1 and Avengers: Infinity War Part 2.

Matt_Black

Well, we'll see if that's still the plan after Civil War. It's not as if director's haven't changed midstream once a Marvel production has begun production before....

Launchpad McQuack

Well, we'll see if that's still the plan after Civil War. It's not as if director's haven't changed midstream once a Marvel production has begun production before....

That's true. I guess I am just hoping for the best at this point.

And with that, now that reviews are coming out and people have seen the movie, I must begin my embargo on all articles and threads about the movie. I've been avoiding previews for a while, since they have been releasing far too many and showing way too much of the movie. I want there to be SOME surprise when I see it next week.

Matt_Black

That's true. I guess I am just hoping for the best at this point.

And with that, now that reviews are coming out and people have seen the movie, I must begin my embargo on all articles and threads about the movie. I've been avoiding previews for a while, since they have been releasing far too many and showing way too much of the movie. I want there to be SOME surprise when I see it next week.

Spoiler- the good guys win!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom