CaptainAmerica

Original Poster
Not sure if this is being discussed elsewhere. If so, mods feel free to move. Animal Kingdom's hours this summer are going to be insane.

MWX4D73.png

That's 8am to 1am every single day for over a month, plus an extra hour in the morning every Monday and Saturday. That's absolutely nuts. Have we ever seen anything like this? Certainly not New Fantasyland. Potter maybe? How do they support this from a labor perspective? Makes me shudder for Star Wars.

wdwgreek

I think its smart, they have been building up for a year to make the park ready to handle increased crowds. Increased nighttime offering, increased hours, new nighttime shows, new resterraunts, expanded seating, I still AK needs one more dark ride, but it should be ready to handle Avatar but it will def need the extra hours. Its going to be crowded! I'll be one of those crazies braving the crowd.

doctornick

I'm curious as to what happens after July 4. July and early August tends to be very busy still at WDW so even with the "buzz" decreasing, there would still be large crowds at DAK I would imagine. Will they add regular evening EMH at DAK like one or two days a week? What will the hours look like during that time?

HairyChest

I wonder if fastpass will be needed for onsite guests that are going there mostly for emh. Im thi king all resort guest will want to be there for emh. Looks like the last fp you can get is 930-1030.

matt9112

Not sure if this is being discussed elsewhere. If so, mods feel free to move. Animal Kingdom's hours this summer are going to be insane.

MWX4D73.png

That's 8am to 1am every single day for over a month, plus an extra hour in the morning every Monday and Saturday. That's absolutely nuts. Have we ever seen anything like this? Certainly not New Fantasyland. Potter maybe? How do they support this from a labor perspective? Makes me shudder for Star Wars.

It's better to over sell hour wise now and if demand isn't what they expect they can easily scale back however if demand is huge and they didn't change hours it would be a PR nightmare. I wouldn't read too much into it as I don't believe it's going to do anything potter did or star wars will do.
Great addition? Sure. Makes the park much Better? Sure. Makes people plan entire vacations around it? Not likely.

Edit: might tie into the scaling back of other park EMHs so in reality labor costs aren't going up as much as you might think.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
The biggest concern is the Animals. That should be their first priority.

My understanding is 11pm-1am is Pandora area, the Tree of Life Awakenings will be the only things available.

If the park shouldn't be open at night because of the animals that sleep at night, then it shouldn't be open during the day for all the animals that are nocturnal and sleep by day.

flyerjab

It's better to over sell hour wise now and if demand isn't what they expect they can easily scale back however if demand is huge and they didn't change hours it would be a PR nightmare. I wouldn't read too much into it as I don't believe it's going to do anything potter did or star wars will do.
Great addition? Sure. Makes the park much Better? Sure. Makes people plan entire vacations around it? Not likely.

Edit: might tie into the scaling back of other park EMHs so in reality labor costs aren't going up as much as you might think.

I know a few people that have made vacation plans for this. Including us; we didn't have a trip planned in May. Now we do.

To be fair, however, there is no way that this expansion does anything like Potter did or Star Wars will do. Star Wars literally has decades of rabid fans, multiple movies, books, TV shows, etc. Not to mention characters that people absolutely loved. Same with Potter. Great literary stories that translated exceptionally well into movies. Again, the fact that JKR's stories are popular mainly due to the characters (my opinion, I never felt that the story lines aside from Snape's were that great, but the characters that she developed were incredible) is what helps people get drawn into her stories.

Compared to these points, Avatar suffers dramatically. One movie with no real literary basis, and characters that people really didn't attach themselves to at all. This expansion will thrive more so due to the beauty of the world that Cameron created and that Rohde and the Imagineers have now brought to life.

In all honesty you are right. I don't see a lot of people making a vacation just for Pandora. However, I still think that this addition will do exceptionally well. It will just take longer, as opposed to something like Star Wars that already has a built in fan base of millions.

twebber55

I know a few people that have made vacation plans for this. Including us; we didn't have a trip planned in May. Now we do.

To be fair, however, there is no way that this expansion does anything like Potter did or Star Wars will do. Star Wars literally has decades of rabid fans, multiple movies, books, TV shows, etc. Not to mention characters that people absolutely loved. Same with Potter. Great literary stories that translated exceptionally well into movies. Again, the fact that JKR's stories are popular mainly due to the characters (my opinion, I never felt that the story lines aside from Snape's were that great, but the characters that she developed were incredible) is what helps people get drawn into her stories.

Compared to these points, Avatar suffers dramatically. One movie with no real literary basis, and characters that people really didn't attach themselves to at all. This expansion will thrive more so due to the beauty of the world that Cameron created and that Rohde and the Imagineers have now brought to life.

In all honesty you are right. I don't see a lot of people making a vacation just for Pandora. However, I still think that this addition will do exceptionally well. It will just take longer, as opposed to something like Star Wars that already has a built in fan base of millions.
i disagree
DAK as a night time theme park will bring people into the parks
if EE can add 1 million guest i have no doubt this will bring an additional 1 million plus to DAK

flyerjab

i disagree
DAK as a night time theme park will bring people into the parks
if EE can add 1 million guest i have no doubt this will bring an additional 1 million plus to DAK

That wasn't my intended point. What I meant to say was that I doubt there will be a crowd opening day like what Potter saw, or what Star Wars Land will draw. I did say that I still think it will be a success, more so in the long term. I would not be surprised at all to see this add more than 1 million visitors annually.

djkidkaz

I think its smart, they have been building up for a year to make the park ready to handle increased crowds. Increased nighttime offering, increased hours, new nighttime shows, new resterraunts, expanded seating, I still AK needs one more dark ride, but it should be ready to handle Avatar but it will def need the extra hours. Its going to be crowded! I'll be one of those crazies braving the crowd.

AK's attractions are so very well spread out in the park. None of the headliners are near each other and that will be great for dispersing crowds. I agree with you that one more dark ride attraction would be an ideal fit for the park. Something with no height requirement, placed on the pathway between Africa and Asia possibly.

doctornick

That wasn't my intended point. What I meant to say was that I doubt there will be a crowd opening day like what Potter saw, or what Star Wars Land will draw. I did say that I still think it will be a success, more so in the long term. I would not be surprised at all to see this add more than 1 million visitors annually.

Yeah. I don't think that there will be all that many people (relatively speaking) who will say "I'm going to book a trip to WDW this summer because Pandora looks cool" even though they weren't otherwise going to go to WDW any time. some people might say "Ley's go in June once Pandora is open instead of over Spring Break"; others might say "let's go this summer since Pandora looks cool instead of waiting until 2018", etc. And, in contrast, there are probably people who didn't go in 2015 or 2016 because they just figured they'd wait until the major new offering comes on board (I'm more or less in that boat). I don't think it will create a significant number of new people to visit WDW that weren't otherwise going to go anyway at some point.

That said, if it is well done, it will potentially lead to people taking more days at DAK, even doing more park days than planned to spend time there and will almost certainly lead to a bump in attendance at DAK (whether that will be from a loss at the other parks or due to a total gain will be interesting to see). One quibble I would have is I wouldn't say "1 million more visitors" as much as "1 million more visits" -- it's quite possible/likely that additional gate entries will be from APers going more often and/or guests staying for longer trips or doing more park days.

UpAllNight

I'm hoping as someone who isn't staying in a Disney Resort, that these late extra Magic Hours will make it slightly more bareable during the day.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom