danstadnik

With the way DisneyParks does things, I highly doubt this will happen, but I definitely vote for a massive indoor (but feels like its outdoors) explorable Pandora environment. I'm imagining an attraction similar to Tom Sawyer's Island in that there is no "ride," just a themed area. And with Avatar, WDI could create what would be the most insanely themed area in the world. And as folks have said here, a place where you could spend an hour or two and soak it all in without being rushed past all the scenes the way an omnimover or other dark ride would do.
I imagine a spot where it would appear as though you are at a cliff's edge and you could see the floating mountains in the distance, and see the Ikran (sp?) flying down from them...
I wasn't a HUGE fan of the movie, but this really has the potential to be the coolest part of any theme park in the world. (planet Earth, not WDW!)

zooey

I'd be very sad if they got rid of Rafiki's... unless they set up the lab and vet areas elsewhere because I really love that. I love the train too, so hopefully that can remain.

jumblue

Now that I think about it, I wonder if the funding for this is partly why that Saudi Prince was being shown around? (Along with a couple reports here of Staggs being in AK.)

Added to the talk of other investors buying out the park, perhaps in looking to shore up the funds to secure the rights and the construction price tag, people may have misconstrued what was going on...

I love hindsight.

I'd be surprised if they got rid of Rafiki's - I know it's not nearly as popular as it should be, but there's a ton of backstage animal care facilities back there and I would think they would have to move those.

I'm sure there will be plenty of LEDs and black lights and fiber optics, but I'd like to see some real bioluminescent life as well. Not sure how much of it can thrive in the Florida climate (although if they can do a water-based area, there's plenty of great waterlife that could) - but part of why I love the Animal Kingdom is because it is entertaining and educational at the same time and I could see them doing some great tie-ins of explaining how there are creatures and plant life on Earth that are just as exotic as on Pandora.

steve2wdw

WDW Fan Since 1973
Whether Pandora is indoors or outdoors, the pad at the front of the park makes most sense. The pad near Asia seems to be destined for future animal based exhibits. Avatarland pretty much insures that DAK will be open at night (once this is finished). With the animals tucked into bed at the back of the park, the front of the park can operate without bothering them. I'd put my money on the CMM/BK pad for this expansion.

As for the FotLK, that facility could be moved into Africa. West of the Tusker House (where the Jungle Trek currently meets) is a large piece of land that could easily fit the FotLK theatre. The M&G's, by nature, are easy to move, clearing the way for a very large developement.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
One of the big questions I have is how does Imagineering pull off the night time illuminated aspect of the Panodoran environment. Everything for the most part has a glowing component. This would be next to impossible to implement on a large scale. My thoughts are that a large portion of the "land" is going to be base camp themed. You will then go on expeditions (attractions) within the land. One of the attractions will be based on the night time environment that will allow it to be indoors and highly illuminated. :shrug:

I think Mermaid Lagoon in DisneySea achieves this effect pretty well, though not quite as intense as Avatar's themed areas should be:

http://www.zeroatthebone.com/uploaded_images/IMG_0688-745596.jpg

jmuboy

Whether Pandora is indoors or outdoors, the pad at the front of the park makes most sense. The pad near Asia seems to be destined for future animal based exhibits. Avatarland pretty much insures that DAK will be open at night (once this is finished). With the animals tucked into bed at the back of the park, the front of the park can operate without bothering them. I'd put my money on the CMM/BK pad for this expansion.

As for the FotLK, that facility could be moved into Africa. West of the Tusker House (where the Jungle Trek currently meets) is a large piece of land that could easily fit the FotLK theatre. The M&G's, by nature, are easy to move, clearing the way for a very large developement.

I agree, the front pad makes most sense.

- There is already the bridge from Discovery Island
- Remove the camp area.
- Move LK Show to Africa, behind Tusker House.
- Run a new road from Africa around the river into the Pandora expansion pad
- Move character meet and greets from the camp area to the Creature Comforts building on Discovery Island. A central meet and greet area like EPCOT Character Spot. There are enough shops selling the same old stuff on Discovery Island.
- For the kids move the Bugs Land area from DCA and set up (minus the bumoper cars) in the area where the old Pocahontas show was and down toward Rainforest Cafe and west toward the service area. This would put kids rides in, that adults could also enjoy, and in clozse proximity to Pandora.

RSoxNo1

The location I have is definite. Camp Minnie-Mickey was to be replaced but because of the landscape going in the location, it would of made Animal Kingdom's entrance odd-looking.

I highly doubt that there will be a Soarin' type attraction.

Rafiki's Planet Watch is being removed strictly because it is there for capacity reasons and with Avatar coming in, this would make that part obsolete. There will be an "education" part of the land that will probably replace Rafiki's Planet Watch.

If there was to be any outdoor roller coasters or any "noisy" rides it would be on the far east side of the park away from the animals.

Forgive my ignorance but when we see low post counts with a trigger keyword in "Insider, Imagineer, etc" in their signature we get skeptical. What you're saying makes sense, but I would think they still need the animal care facilities that are at conservation station...

I agree, the front pad makes most sense.

- There is already the bridge from Discovery Island
- Remove the camp area.
- Move LK Show to Africa, behind Tusker House.
- Run a new road from Africa around the river into the Pandora expansion pad
- Move character meet and greets from the camp area to the Creature Comforts building on Discovery Island. A central meet and greet area like EPCOT Character Spot. There are enough shops selling the same old stuff on Discovery Island.
- For the kids move the Bugs Land area from DCA and set up (minus the bumoper cars) in the area where the old Pocahontas show was and down toward Rainforest Cafe and west toward the service area. This would put kids rides in, that adults could also enjoy, and in clozse proximity to Pandora.

Putting Lion King behind Tusker House was an easy move prior to the Wild Africa Trek, to do that now would require moving that around as well.

Uncle Lupe

Something like a pteranodon flyer ride on a bit larger scale and ride time. Would be a flying experience everyone could enjoy and weave around a detailed environment.

Captain Neo

I can see a state of the art exciting family ride with thrills using a revolutionary ride system. And probably a C or D too.

Gotta keep up with the neighbours ;-)

I think Iger and Staggs are gonna get more than they bargained for with Cameron. He's even more hardcore about quality than Lasseter, Lucas, and Rowling combined. I am expecting a land equal or greater to the Mysterious island area at Disneysea.

Most likely 2 e-tickets inside an incredibly immersive land with a budget north of $500 million dollars. The money men at Disney will have heart attacks and I hope Jobs and Lasseter influence Iger to let the man, and imagineering, work this time.

Jimmy Thick

What exciting news!!!

The thing I will wonder about is, only 500 million? While that seems to be a huge chunk of change, and it is, just what are they going to be able to build, and theme for that amount?

Pandora is going to cost a fortune to emulate in Florida, and if it is housed in a dome, like some people have speculated, there is your 500 million right there, and that is not counting any rides unless they move Dinolands inside this dome and slap a Avatar theme on them.

I think its safe to conclude, there will be no dome.

Jimmy Thick-It would be cool though...

JustInTime

What exciting news!!!

The thing I will wonder about is, only 500 million? While that seems to be a huge chunk of change, and it is, just what are they going to be able to build, and theme for that amount?

Pandora is going to cost a fortune to emulate in Florida, and if it is housed in a dome, like some people have speculated, there is your 500 million right there, and that is not counting any rides unless they move Dinolands inside this dome and slap a Avatar theme on them.

I think its safe to conclude, there will be no dome.

Jimmy Thick-It would be cool though...

I hope there isn't a dome anyway.

ob1thx1138

While I would love to have an entire area themed to the Pandora jungle, I feel that the most economical and most likely design for the land will be that of a base camp. You cannot get the feel of being in the wild with paved walkways, garbage cans, and shops. I foresee a “village” that has been constructed for the sole purpose of Pandoran tourists. Sort of like a village in Africa that caters to people on holiday. The attractions would be themed as excursions into the pandoran wild. So basically we are talking Harambe Village Pandora style.

andre85

While I would love to have an entire area themed to the Pandora jungle, I feel that the most economical and most likely design for the land will be that of a base camp. You cannot get the feel of being in the wild with paved walkways, garbage cans, and shops. I foresee a “village” that has been constructed for the sole purpose of Pandoran tourists. Sort of like a village in Africa that caters to people on holiday. The attractions would be themed as excursions into the pandoran wild. So basically we are talking Harambe Village Pandora style.

This makes a lot of sense; I imagine the jungle settings will be saved for backgrounds, queues, and of course, the rides themselves (which arguably might make them even better / more surprising)

Gregoryp73

I think the possibility of incorporating World of Color type effects here is enormous.

I'm almost thinking that any show will be a "lion king" type of show hybrid with a tiki-bird type format...puppets, animatronics, live action...set in-doors, possibly with light adjustment so that pandora can light up. Maybe if camp mini-micky gets the heave ho, we may see the lion king attraction re-utilized?

JCtheparrothead

I think I am buying stock in blue paint. I am really stoked for this. Like a lot of people have mentioned that this a wide open project at this time. The other thing we have to remember is Cameron has 2 other avatar films coming which he has said that we will get to see much more of the world of pandora. Maybe an undersea adventure? Maybe a spiderman/potter like ride on one of the helicopters that takes you all over the world. I also wonder how much it is going to be to get your kid painted blue at the boutique. At least the outfits will be cheap...:ROFLOL:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom