JustInTime

I think the possibility of incorporating World of Color type effects here is enormous.

Totally agree. It was my first thought. Plus research and developemnet has been done so it saves money and time. Picture all the spirits and the massive tree during the show! I am so excited. That would eliminate the conflict with the tree of life and they could show it's the destitution and conservation of the planet. Bring it on, Disney! :)

MarkTwain

I'm most curious about the location.

I'm assuming this is going to go on the CM-M pad, but if so, that's going to leave questions as to where Festival of the Lion King will go. That would also gonna pretty much be the nail in the coffin for Beastly Kingdom, since the site originally reserved for it would then be gone.

I read one concept on MiceChat that speculated that it might take over Dino-Rama, with Dinosaur being rethemed to a military jeep and having the few still-functional AAs in there replaced with Pandora-themed ones. :eek: I think it's unlikely, but still an interesting theory.

As for attractions, I have a hunch Disney is trying to go hand-to-hand with Harry Potterland as much as possible, so I'm predicting on at least one mega-dark ride with a flying vehicle (dragons?) through a combination of physical sets and lots and lots of screens.

JustInTime

I'm assuming this is going to go on the CM-M pad, but if so, that's going to leave questions as to where Festival of the Lion King will go. That would also gonna pretty much be the nail in the coffin for Beastly Kingdom, since the site originally reserved for it would then be gone.

I read one concept on MiceChat that speculated that it might take over Dino-Rama, with Dinosaur being rethemed to a military jeep and having the few still-functional AAs in there replaced with Pandora-themed ones. :eek: I think it's unlikely, but still an interesting theory.

As for attractions, I have a hunch Disney is trying to go hand-to-hand with Harry Potterland as much as possible, so I'm predicting on at least one mega-dark ride with a flying vehicle (dragons?) through a combination of physical sets and lots and lots of screens.
no way this will replace any attractions. Disney is money hungry, not stupid. The entire reason this is being put into animal kingdom is to fix it's issues. Disney is not going to spend 500 million dollars to put the park in the same bad spot. Plus that eliminates prehistoric animals from the park. Not gonna happen.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster

Not necessarily, check out this page for the two likely expansion pads
http://www.wdwmagic.com/Attractions...truction-sites-at-Disney's-Animal-Kingdom.htm

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
which of these two pads are the largest?
do you know the acreage of each site?

I believe that the area north of Asia is the larger. It would all depend how much of the surrounding area they would tap into however.

djkidkaz

Im curious what Disney will do to AK in these coming years leading up to this to get the whole park ready for when this opens. I think its safe to assume that once Avatarland is open, the AK will stay open late. I wonder if they will have to do a major lighting overhaul to any areas to keep them open later? I know Africa closes early on EMH nights because there is nothing to do once the safari closes. I'd be interested if they had plans to add more to this area to keep it open later?

_Scar

Im curious what Disney will do to AK in these coming years leading up to this to get the whole park ready for when this opens. I think its safe to assume that once Avatarland is open, the AK will stay open late. I wonder if they will have to do a major lighting overhaul to any areas to keep them open later? I know Africa closes early on EMH nights because there is nothing to do once the safari closes. I'd be interested if they had plans to add more to this area to keep it open later?

I can't see them keeping Africa open even with LK. There's just no need with the Safari closing and LK having no night shows.

What could be a problem is the distance between the 2 headliner attractions (EE and the Avatar E-ticket). Perhaps they will renew those elusive boats for transportation.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster

The park is fully setup with lighting for night-time. They spent an enormous amount of money doing that, for it rarely to be seen by guests. The 8pm closings and the old EMH nights gave a chance to see it.

I don't think changes to Africa would be needed. For nighttime, you would have AVATAR, Everest, Tough to be a Bug, Dino-RAMA, Dinosaur, Finding Nemo etc.

InsiderImagine

Avatar Land will going behind Asia.

Rafikis Planet Watch will be demolished to make room for the path in between Africa and Asia.

Camp Minnie-Mickey is too close to the front of the park where you will see the HUGE landscape they choose to use for it. Disney does not want guests seeing Avatar land before they enter the park.

The landscape will also be tall enough to block the view of Everest from the land so you don't have to worry about seeing various elements from other lands.

There is also going to be expanding the parking lot in the back where cast members working in Avatar can safely go without walking through other lands to get to their destination. This parking lot is located by where Rafiki's Planet Watch is.

The land will also be stretched east of the road that goes around Animal Kingdom (the road will be pushed back also)

_Scar

Rafikis Planet Watch will be demolished to make room for the path in between Africa and Asia.

Camp Minnie-Mickey is too close to the front of the park where you will see the HUGE landscape they choose to use for it. Disney does not want guests seeing Avatar land before they enter the park.

The landscape will also be tall enough to block the view of Everest from the land so you don't have to worry about seeing various elements from other lands.

There is also going to be expanding the parking lot in the back where cast members working in Avatar can safely go without walking through other lands to get to their destination. This parking lot is located by where Rafiki's Planet Watch is.

The land will also be stretched east of the road that goes around Animal Kingdom (the road will be pushed back also)

If this is true, my feet are already aching. I kinda thought they'd want to separate the real from the fantasy. Having Pandora BETWEEN two areas heavily populated with animals seems troublesome.

IHeartArt

I dont know why my mind went here: but I wonder if this will be the first land to not get holiday decorations in December. I don't see Christmas being celebrated on Pandora.

What about Na'vi Life Day? Haven't you seen The Avatar Christmas Special?

They'll find someway to get holiday decorations in there. When Disney does Christmas, they find a way to get it in everywhere.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

Why would they need to demolish Rafikis to create a path between Africa and Asia? Rafiki's is way behind the rest of the park and no where near Asia or the public areas of Africa. Bulding the Avatar land behind Asia would actually be a benefit to Rafiki's since guest could walk there instead of taking the train.

Dan

RSoxNo1

I believe that the area north of Asia is the larger. It would all depend how much of the surrounding area they would tap into however.

the plot behind Asia is larger but they could always use the western pad and remove CM-M. Just move The Lion King to Africa.

Yes, the area North of Asia is larger, but if you take into account Camp Minnie Mickey the front plot becomes much larger as well. As for Festival of the Lion King, there really aren't obvious spots for it to move. If they are removing the Wildlife Express train, that location might be the best spot, but that may be a ridiculously high traffic area all feeding into Pandora/AVATARLand.

The other option would be moving Lion King on the current spot of Creature Comforts/Guest Ammenities Right in front of the bridge to Africa. It would be a tight fit, but I think it's doable.

The park is fully setup with lighting for night-time. They spent an enormous amount of money doing that, for it rarely to be seen by guests. The 8pm closings and the old EMH nights gave a chance to see it.

I don't think changes to Africa would be needed. For nighttime, you would have AVATAR, Everest, Tough to be a Bug, Dino-RAMA, Dinosaur, Finding Nemo etc.

Festival of the Lion King and Finding Nemo the Musical both had shows during Evening Extra Magic Hours - I don't think it's unreasonable to think that it would change with longer hours.

I assume the largest part of this land will be attractions in the back half? Just to get into that development from the current train station is another 400 feet or so.

If this is true, my feet are already aching. I kinda thought they'd want to separate the real from the fantasy. Having Pandora BETWEEN two areas heavily populated with animals seems troublesome.

This also probably means that the attraction will not be an outdoor roller coaster that would generate a lot of noise pollution.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster

Just a question. Are you saying this is information that you know to be accurate, or is it your ideas?

Ryumia

I would imagine a Soarin' type ride.

It would be indoors & air conditioned, which AK really needs. Plus would appeal to all ages of visitors, from Grandpa down to the kids.

Everything I've read on the announcement makes me think Disney wants to put the emphasis on the visuals of the world itself (and not so much the plot *cough*). Use a version of Soarin's ride system, heck, even some 3-D glasses, and there's an E ticket attraction. Be it just a fly-by the floating mountains in a helicopter/plane, or even set it up so you're flying on a Banshee. Take the recent renovation of Star Tours and what they did with the randomizing of the scenes = instant re-rideability.

Even theme the exit as if you've landed on Pandora or the Na'vi village, and go forth to explore the grounds.

Bairstow

http://www.google.com/patents/about/12_718_803_FLYING_ENTERTAINMENT_VEHICLE.html?id=W5bZAAAAEBAJ
av1uk.jpg

av2m.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom