AVATAR land construction progress

raymusiccity

Yeah no way 4 people are going to come close per row with the size of people today.
Sad...

There might be some minor issues with weight distribution! :)
IMG_1583.JPG

gorillaball

Oh dear... maybe we're not on the same page, but that is wrong. Tagging @RSoxNo1 @DisneyExpert @SpectroMan93 @jgg because you liked the post, which means you also misunderstand.

I'll explain. Let's just say that there are 30 boats circulating throughout the whole ride path, and the ride lasts 5 minutes. That means that roughly 30 boats are dispatched during every 5 minute (300 second) interval. Think about it, it's true. It must be true.

Then, divide 300 seconds by 30 boats, and you get 10 seconds per boat. That means one boat is dispatched every 10 seconds.
Then divide 3600 seconds by 10 seconds, and you get the number of boats dispatched per hour, which is 360.
Multiple 360 by the number of riders per boat. Let's do theoretical. Theoretically, there are 8 riders per boat, so 360 times 8 is 2880.

That means, if my blue example numbers were true, the theoretical capacity would be 2880 riders per hour. The operational capacity could be found by multiplying 360 by the average number of actual riders per boat.

So you can indeed find the capacity by knowing how long the ride is and how many boats are out there! Wowzers!!!
And since we know the actual ride time, all we need is the number of boats out there.

If you have any questions, please ask. I hope this explanation helps. As MisterPenguin said below, we might just be talking past each other.

The way you explain it there isn't false, you are just going about it a different way (a harder way in my opinion) to get to the same result. For one you are dividing the number of boats (unknown and usually not easy to find) by the ride time (also somewhat unknown, 4-5 minutes). When all someone needs to do is time the average dispatch and you have the answer.

So - we aren't totally saying different things. I'm just saying on any new ride the number of vehicles isn't a needed requirement and is usually much harder to find then setting a stop watch and watching dispatch, something that can be done in one viewing of a few minutes.

Then if those boats that are dispatched go for 3 minutes or 30 minutes using 3 boats or 300 boats - all information that's not needed because I just viewed boats of X people dispatching every X seconds.

jgg

Oh dear... maybe we're not on the same page, but that is wrong. Tagging @RSoxNo1 @DisneyExpert @SpectroMan93 @jgg because you liked the post, which means you also misunderstand.

I'll explain. Let's just say that there are 30 boats circulating throughout the whole ride path, and the ride lasts 5 minutes. That means that roughly 30 boats are dispatched during every 5 minute (300 second) interval. Think about it, it's true. It must be true.

Then, divide 300 seconds by 30 boats, and you get 10 seconds per boat. That means one boat is dispatched every 10 seconds.
Then divide 3600 seconds by 10 seconds, and you get the number of boats dispatched per hour, which is 360.
Multiple 360 by the number of riders per boat. Let's do theoretical. Theoretically, there are 8 riders per boat, so 360 times 8 is 2880.

That means, if my blue example numbers were true, the theoretical capacity would be 2880 riders per hour. The operational capacity could be found by multiplying 360 by the average number of actual riders per boat.

So you can indeed find the capacity by knowing how long the ride is and how many boats are out there! Wowzers!!!
And since we know the actual ride time, all we need is the number of boats out there.

If you have any questions, please ask. I hope this explanation helps. As MisterPenguin said below, we might just be talking past each other.
No misunderstanding here. First of all, you yourself start by deriving the dispatch interval (I bolded it) - which is exactly what @gorillaball said was the one number you need. Since that's the value you need, why not just measure that directly rather than trying to guess at the total # of boats? Second, you've ignored load time and resource contention/starvation. Your hypothetical 5 minute ride will have a different throughput if the load time is 10 seconds vs. 100 seconds - a difference which is already accounted for in the dispatch interval. You can say that your 5 minutes includes load/unload time, but that's not really the common usage of 'ride time' and it's that kind of ambiguous language that leads to people talking past each other. Yeah, if you have the right data you can derive the same result the way you described - these are pretty simple mathematical relationships after all - but it's a really roundabout way of of doing it and requires data that's less easily obtained than just counting off seconds between dispatches.

The proper way to model this is as a wave function where each peak represents a ride vehicle. Thus, the period of the wave is the time between dispatches and the inverse of the period (frequency) is the dispatch interval; frequency * capacity = throughput. Modelling this way has a couple of advantages: First, it's fully specified and easily measured. Second, we have lots of well-understood mathematical tools for manipulating, composing, and decomposing waves, which is useful for modelling the system as part of a larger whole.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
The proper way to model this is as a wave function where each peak represents a ride vehicle. Thus, the period of the wave is the time between dispatches and the inverse of the period (frequency) is the dispatch interval; frequency * capacity = throughput. Modelling this way has a couple of advantages: First, it's fully specified and easily measured. Second, we have lots of well-understood mathematical tools for manipulating, composing, and decomposing waves, which is useful for modelling the system as part of a larger whole.

I have a feeling that we'll soon be talking about Schrödinger's family...

Brian Swan

No misunderstanding here. First of all, you yourself start by deriving the dispatch interval (I bolded it) - which is exactly what @gorillaball said was the one number you need. Since that's the value you need, why not just measure that directly rather than trying to guess at the total # of boats? Second, you've ignored load time and resource contention/starvation. Your hypothetical 5 minute ride will have a different throughput if the load time is 10 seconds vs. 100 seconds - a difference which is already accounted for in the dispatch interval. You can say that your 5 minutes includes load/unload time, but that's not really the common usage of 'ride time' and it's that kind of ambiguous language that leads to people talking past each other. Yeah, if you have the right data you can derive the same result the way you described - these are pretty simple mathematical relationships after all - but it's a really roundabout way of of doing it and requires data that's less easily obtained than just counting off seconds between dispatches.

I like this guy (or gal)!

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member

Haha,.....MisterPenguin got schooled.

WDWtraveler

Photo update as of Thursday, May 4. The construction wall/barricade has been removed from the new bus transportation shelter. You will note there are only two bus stops (see the upright poles where the bus stops). One bus stop will be sheltered, and one will be in the open. These two bus stops are specifically designed for the double-length buses.

IMG_9534.JPG

IMG_9559.JPG

IMG_9560.JPG

The queue fences have been installed, but yet to be painted brown.

IMG_9561.JPG

The new pavement that connects the Animal Kingdom entrance walkway to the new bus transportation shelters.

IMG_9562.JPG

Work crews were busy installing the railings along the walkway. Bales of pine needles in the background for landscaping.

IMG_9563.JPG

TheCoasterNerd

In the Parks
No
I still can't believe this horrific land is being built. Having a whole land dedicated to one film in itself is stupid, but for it to be a film that is not even particularly popular (I've never spoken to anyone who's said anything other than 'the special effects were good, but the story, meh') is astonishingly bad.

In years to come they'll regret this. It will not last. To think this is being built where Beastly Kingdom would have been - it's sickening.
Dear God how long ago this was posted - back when I was a simple lurker. But yeahhh its still the most popular land in the park, and so popular its being replicated (or not, or it is, or it isn't, who knows) at DLR. 10 years later. Sorry!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom