AVATAR land construction progress

michmousefan

One of the failings of avatar is that it's own universe is limited. In star wars, we have vast galaxies that are host of settings of conflicts and characters leaving the franchise to have an aray of stories and possibilities. Avatar has Pandora as a main setting (Most likely) for the entire franchise. That's just such a small space to center an entire successful (Action) franchise upon.

I do really hope that the next installments of Avatar are successful, however they must be able to stay in the media/pop culture long enough for the next movies to come out. At the end of Avatar the main conflict is resolved, no Cliff hangers, no mystery, not really a need to ask what happens next.
If I remember correctly, Cameron explained that Pandora is just one of the moons in that system, and that the Avatar sequels will take place on several of the other moons that orbit the gas giant. So there might be more of a larger universe to tell stories in. Doubt very much that he's going to keep to Pandora for all of the sequels.

truecoat

If I remember correctly, Cameron explained that Pandora is just one of the moons in that system, and that the Avatar sequels will take place on several of the other moons that orbit the gas giant. So there might be more of a larger universe to tell stories in. Doubt very much that he's going to keep to Pandora for all of the sequels.

I see several more in this pic alone.

Incomudro

My take on the floating mountains is that this is an ambitious bit of engineering even if the the mountains are not "free" floating. I've said before, I put this up there with the construction of Spaceship Earth.

I am worried about the amount of vines and roots and how thick some appear, but I will consider it a success if they look like they are hanging from the rocks and not supporting them. From the photos I've seen the sag of the roots and vines seems believable enough.

It could be hype, but there was a quote (from Rhode I think) a while back about some people getting genuinely emotional when they stood beneath the rocks. It was said to be almost like a cathedral of nature. Cameron said when you approach them your brain begins to register the sense of weight and mass hung high above. As others have stated, this is really something you'll have to see in person to judge.

I also think the best views have not been shared yet. There's a bridge set between the floating mountains and the valley wall that I think will offer and amazing 360 degree view. There's also that one big standalone rock by the river journey entrance that I haven't seen a good pic of, but it seems we will go right below that one as well.

Yes, I keep saying this.
We really need to remember that we will be taking most of this in from a perspective of about 6' off of the ground.
Most of the images we have seen are aerial.
Even images from the ground cannot capture what it's like to be there and take it all in.

Dan Deesnee

On the subject of the floating mountains.

Spaceship earth is cool looking in pics, sort of. My kids thought it was kind of neat looking when I showed them...then we visited Epcot. They were blown away by it. I truly feel as others have said it's a see it to really experience it kind of thing. I've been to Epcot ten plus times and am still in awe of spaceship earth.

Dan Deesnee

I get the impression that a minority on here are desperate for this land to fail :banghead:

Welcome to the WDW Forums!

Honestly there are many people on here that I feel don't actually like Disney parks. Don't get me wrong, they THINK they like it, but the way some of them talk I just don't see how that's possible. It's fine to complain and wish things were better but there are a lot of overly negative "judge first" attitude. They just assume things will end up bad, budgets will get cut, etc. etc.

That being said, I really hope Pandora is a 3-4 hour experience and not something you just walk through and are done in 20 minutes. I want Animal Kingdom to be a full day park and something like this could really rival Universals World of Harry Potter. I spent an entire day in Harry Potter and it was incredible. I really hope that Pandora and Star Wars / Toy Story lands at least match that experience.

Incomudro

Welcome to the WDW Forums!

Honestly there are many people on here that I feel don't actually like Disney parks. Don't get me wrong, they THINK they like it, but the way some of them talk I just don't see how that's possible. It's fine to complain and wish things were better but there are a lot of overly negative "judge first" attitude. They just assume things will end up bad, budgets will get cut, etc. etc.

That being said, I really hope Pandora is a 3-4 hour experience and not something you just walk through and are done in 20 minutes. I want Animal Kingdom to be a full day park and something like this could really rival Universals World of Harry Potter. I spent an entire day in Harry Potter and it was incredible. I really hope that Pandora and Star Wars / Toy Story lands at least match that experience.

I dubbed this site "Walt Disney World Whiners."

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom