AVATAR land construction progress

Daveeeeed

New Fantasyland? Seven Dwarfs? Frozen? TS Midway Mania?

Frozen: Ever After converted a C-ticket (Maelstrom) into a D-ticket. Seven Dwarfs Mine Train is a D-ticket as it is very short, but themed wonderfully. Toy Story Midway Mania! is debatable, but even at an E, it's no headliner (it's one of my favorite rides, though but I'm not talking about personal opinion -- I'm talking about the scale of the attraction). Soarin' falls under the same category as TSMM as it is technically an E-ticket, but by no means anchors a land. The last true one was Expedition Everest, although I do enjoy TSMM more.

This is purely for the ride itself -- it does not factor in nostalgia, location, or any other outside factors.

No Name

I believe it was announced so early simply because they had just made the licensing deal. I don't think it was due to any leaks or anything of the sort. All of the execs from both sides took lots of pictures in front of backgrounds. They seemed planned and very ready to let the news out.

Similarly, Nintendo and Universal announced their licensing deal right after they made it in May 2015. I think that's the way it is with these third-party agreements.

Last edited:

brb1006

GoofGoof

Premium Member
New Fantasyland? Seven Dwarfs? Frozen? TS Midway Mania?
Not trying to start another ride ticket debate here, but I thought it was pretty well accepted that none of those are E-tickets. Definitely not Frozen or TSMM. Because 7DMT was part of a whole new land it might be the best comparison to Avatarland even if the ride itself falls short of E-ticket status, but there was quite a bit of media hype for FLE. The main problem they had was the land didn't open all at once so they didn't get this "grand opening" date to hype.

raven

Daveeeeed

...yet their FP's are the hardest to get and their lines are probably the longest. ;) E Ticket historically means "most popular or sought after" attractions, not necessarily built to be all that popular.

There's an entire thread on this and what people refer to as an E Ticket.

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/whats-your-definition-of-an-e-ticket.842349/
I don't want to get into a debate, but you do know that Disney internally uses the system to measure scale now...

GoofGoof

Premium Member
...yet their FP's are the hardest to get and their lines are probably the longest. ;) E Ticket historically means "most popular or sought after" attractions, not necessarily built to be all that popular.

There's an entire thread on this and what people refer to as an E Ticket.

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/whats-your-definition-of-an-e-ticket.842349/
Forget the ticket debate. My only point in bringing it up is that Pandora is a big deal for WDW and TWDC. It was a huge investment with a massive budget (more than double FLE). IMHO the media campaign to hype the new land is based on these facts not because people have lost interest in Avatar. Star Wars Land is coming in a few years and SW will still be one of the hottest IPs out there when it opens but I guarantee they will hype the crap out of the new theme park lands opening just like Avatar. It would be foolish not to.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
....or to strategically steal media attention away from Uni's Volcano Bay...which just happens to be opening the same week.

Think about it.
Is that really a bad thing? Why would Disney not want to steal attention away from a competitor?

Volcano Bay looks like it will be a nice water park, but we have a bunch of pretty nice waterparks already in the area and trying to sell it as a third gate is just silly. I don't really think there is much of a threat that Volcano Bay would overshadow Pandora's opening in any way even without the media hype.

raven

Is that really a bad thing? Why would Disney not want to steal attention away from a competitor?

Volcano Bay looks like it will be a nice water park, but we have a bunch of pretty nice waterparks already in the area and trying to sell it as a third gate is just silly. I don't really think there is much of a threat that Volcano Bay would overshadow Pandora's opening in any way even without the media hype.
Volcano Bay is HUGE and it's already attracted tons of attention.

And didn't Uni announced the opening date for Volcano Bay before Disney decided to announce when they'd be opening Pandora?

You have to admit all this media attention on Pandora makes Disney look a little jealous and desperate in that instance, especially with Harry Potter attracting so many potential Disney guests.

I'm not a massive Uni fan as most of their rides are virtual anymore. But it's just funny to see Disney suddenly (and desperately) trying to get attention. Maybe if they released an actual sequel to the movie at the same time of the opening it would help.

Not arguing, BTW. Their timing for the hype just seems blatantly obvious to me.

Daveeeeed

And didn't Uni announced the opening date for Volcano Bay before Disney decided to announce when they'd be opening Pandora?

You have to admit all this media attention on Pandora makes Disney look a little jealous and desperate in that instance, especially with Harry Potter attracting so many potential Disney guests.

I'm not a massive Uni fan as most of their rides are virtual anymore. But it's just funny to see Disney suddenly (and desperately) trying to get attention. Maybe if they released an actual sequel to the movie at the same time of the opening it would help.

Blatantly obvious that Disney is a marketing powerhouse and they had to at some point hype up the land. It's common sense really, especially when you can boost your ratings on your own network.

peter11435

Their timing on the hype is based on the fact that the the land will be open in a matter of weeks. This is the best time to build hype as guests can now book vacations to experience the new land.

This isn't Disney being desperate. This is them doing what they have always done. Remember Everest opening, or Mission Space, or animal Kingdom. They just haven't done it in a while.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom