1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

AVATAR land coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

Discussion in 'AVATAR Land' started by AtHomeBoy_2000, Sep 20, 2011.

1. Master Yoda

Master Yoda Pro Star Wars geek. Premium Member

If it was going in any other park I would agree 100%. Since it is going in a Disney park and especially AK I think the land will have a much more happy, tree hugging, one with nature feel to it. I am sure we will see some of the military elements form the first movie in the land but I can see them being re-purposed for visitors vs conquerors.

2. danpam1024

danpam1024 Well-Known Member

So is George Lucas and the Star Tours experience is just ok. Star Wars as a franchise has nearly infinate possibilities AND SPANS GENERATIONS and they gave it an ok ride when it should have had an entire land in DHS.

3. SleepingMonk

SleepingMonk Well-Known Member

Because while their imaginations are limitless their budgets are not.

And from what we've seen recently regarding finance and new projects for Florida the chances are pretty good this will be another "cut and gut" before it's all said and done.

4. S.E.A.

S.E.A. New Member

Yeah i do think Disney would look at AK and create a military base to please James Cameron, it makes about as much as sense as an alien planet taking up shop in that park.

Funny, I wouldn't be surprised if it was the Military Base and the way you get to see hear and touch the world of Pandora is through manning one of those robots or having an Avatar of your own, you get to experience Pandora virtually. This would then also explain how one could be roaming around the place without dying of its poisonous gases.

5. WDWFREAK53

WDWFREAK53 Well-Known Member

I don't doubt, for a second, that there will be a military presence in the "land." That's part of the "world." I would imagine that it would be kept within the confines of an attraction though (although, AMP's here and there wouldn't be bad.)

The world of Avatar (not Pandora) does have the military presence...but the majority of that "world" focuses on the conservation of the beautiful landscape.

6. Todd H

Todd H Well-Known Member

Agreed.

7. WDWmazprty

WDWmazprty Well-Known Member

This.

8. WDWFREAK53

WDWFREAK53 Well-Known Member

...not if James Cameron's name is on it.

He fronted like $250 million of his own dollars so that Avatar could be made the way he wanted it made. He has a vision and he'll do what it takes to make his vision become a reality.

9. nngrendel

nngrendel Well-Known Member

I think that would be an awesome simulator that could trump Mission Space.

10. SleepingMonk

I guess we'll have the next six years or so to find out.

:snore:

11. danpam1024

danpam1024 Well-Known Member

WWOHP was built to scale, that is what makes it feel real. Once the hype dies down, it will still be there and be more enjoyable to the muggles that love it so.

12. Prototype82

Prototype82 Well-Known Member

With the way Fantasyland is going, I have a lot of faith in the project. Even if Pandora's budget is cut from 500mil to 200min and scaled down to the size of phase 1 of the Wizarding World, I'll still be happy.

13. Scuttle

Scuttle Well-Known Member

This is different than any other project that WDI has tackled. Remember this is a response to a competitor not just an addition to address capacity issues. I dont think Cameron will let any significant budget cuts happen.

14. SleepingMonk

Disney doesn't spend like Universal.

$200 million at WDW will get you a single major ride and a gift shop at most.

Again just the Little Mermaid ride, which is VERY simple and basic was reported to be $100 million.

15. scout68

scout68 Well-Known Member

I believe at the conclusion of the movie the military presence was "sent back to their dying world"

16. Prototype82

Prototype82 Well-Known Member

Huh...Good point. I didn't even think about that. I remember Mission Space took what, $200 million?

17. SleepingMonk

I really don't think that will be his decision to make.

Creative control and design input...sure.

Final project cost?

Not up to him.

They will never hand him a blank check and turn him loose, not today with this management, in this market.

18. AtHomeBoy_2000

AtHomeBoy_2000 Well-Known Member Original Poster

$200m Universal = $350m-$400m Disney

19. S.E.A.

S.E.A. New Member

Yeah, the possibilities are numerous. The way they can handle the story is that they have turned Pandora into this tourist paradise where guests from earth would come to this old converted Military base that's dressed up with flowers and fruits and offerings and then it basically becomes like a Sea Base Alpha but for the various environments of Pandora.

Of course the only way we as guests can actually explore the world of Pandora on our own is through virtual reality, this is because of the air in the planet that's poisonous. This is done through the Avatar program, which would sort of be the main attraction of the land and contain what's basically an online multi-player role playing game on a grand scale.

Other guests could experience the "Hallelujah Mountain Tours" - Where guests board a converted military helicopter and take flight around the planet's famed floating mountains. It will be a next generation simulator ride using a wrap around imax screen around an open door chopper.

They could also use the JTTCOTE ride technology for "Pandora Night Trek" A jeep ride through Pandora at night, when the world comes alive in bright fluorescent colors.

20. Lee

Lee Adventurer Premium Member

Pretty much right.

It still hasn't hit $400mil. The 7DMR budget is just reallocated from the M&Gs and Pixie Hollow.

A fair assesment...
    Sadly, true.