AVATAR land coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

Greenkai3000

I'm with you on this one.

Just my 2 cents but I would have rather had Mt Prometheus from Tokyo Disney Sea especially with a new 20K movie being developed/ directed by Fincher

While Avatar will be a nice addition to AK, I would much rather have some of the cool rides from TDS, or a whole new TDS-like park at WDW. While we are on the subject...Some of the imagineeers have mentioned in the past how WDW fans demanded that they bring Soarin' to Florida... Well, how do we demand they bring DisneySea (rides) to WDW as well?

Either way, I can't wait to see what it is they'll be doing with Avatar. Oh, and Sigourney Weaver's return is being questioned by some...Wasn't one of the 2 upcoming Avatar movies supposed to be a prequel? Maybe we'll learn more about her character, and first visit to Pandora. OR, maybe we'll get to see her as being part of Eiwa, or whatever the name that tree character is.

R W B

Maybe Disney is trying to appeal to an older guest on this one.

That was my first thought. FLE is going to be great and all but its geared towards kid rightfully so but i'm 24 with no plans of kids in the near future so something more adult friendly but still ok for kids would be great.

Bairstow

Wonder why they didn't drop this at D23...
stephen_lang.jpg

Atomicmickey

HOLY BAZINGIZZLES!!

I had to make up a whole new word.

'Cause, I'm both excited, an already on the FIFTH page of comments.

This is awesome.

And NO ONE saw it coming.

Unless, point me to the Avatar thread . . .

Well, a week or so ago, "themeparkone" on twitter said "a slew of greenlights this week . . . " but we had been dismissing him . . . .

Sigmundooze

So...you're saying...make attractions based on real myths that take place on Earth and not crazy made-up outer space myths? So they're more "believable?"

I'm talking about myths that are a part of a country or region's culture (since animal kingdom is broken for the most part into countries and regions). How does avatar fit into the park's theme. It doesnt at all.

DCLcruiser

This makes sense. They always planned a mythological area (dragon logos, fire cave), but then cancelled that. Now, they have corporate money to create a fantasy/sci-fi mythological land that still embodies ecology and conservation...plus they already have a giant Tree!

Just get ready for:

Space flight ride to the planet Pandora. (similar to Star Wars)
Navi people walking around (think the tall stilt people from carnivals)
A ride for the flying dragon things
A ride escaping the panther and rhino aliens.

cynic710

look at it this way, the movie was well done, but if you think about it, its just the story of pocahantas retold with future war capabilities and exotic lands. the dude is told to be accepted, gets accepted, falls in love with the people ( and the main chick) then decides that he was with the enemy the whole time, and eventually turns on his own people.

this was destined to be a park addition.

i for one am looking forward to this with great hope and expectations, ones that only disney could fufill..well done!

ptaylor

Premium Member
Love the fact that something new and potentially big is coming, BUT will it actually happen? The start date for this is years off, and in recent times Disney seem to be in a rush to announce things way before the thing is fully ready to begin construction. It is a new way to operate, and as we have seen with DTD and Fantasyland, it can cause problems. I hope Disney are really going to see this one through now it's out there.

SyracuseOrange

That was my first thought. FLE is going to be great and all but its geared towards kid rightfully so but i'm 24 with no plans of kids in the near future so something more adult friendly but still ok for kids would be great.

Yup. A lot of their recent news (FLE, Carsland, etc) is directed at a younger demographic. I'd love to see Avatarland have rides that...I dunno...have a taller height requirement. This would be a great place for some really innovative thrill rides.

ProjectGemini

I wasn't a huge fan of the movie, But, Cameron did go out of his way to create an totally immersive world (word on the street is that he wrote a 400 page encyclopedia for Pandora and all it's inhabitants).

With that in mind, this could, and quite possibly will be absolutely amazing.

Bravesfn1

3...2...1 until the fanboys who complained that there was no "Potter-swatter" complain that this is a "bad" "Potter-swatter."

Some people you can never please.

While I understand your point, why would you make such a rude post like this. If you like the Avatar project than like it and who cares what other people's opinions are. People may label you a Disney Fanboy as well.

I don't know why so many people are so threatened by differing opinions on this site.

Pioneer Hall

And perhaps we now know why Iger, the Board, Rhode, etc were seen around AK a few months back. Clearly this is going to be a major investment and something that would have to go through all the creative and business channels.

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
All the haters need to ask this:

Would you rather that Universal grabbed this property as well, making more of a name for themselves?

To me, I give credit to Disney for lessons learned from the Potter saga. They saw an opportunity to put universal back on their heels, and they did it.

Never get lazy. Good job Disney.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom