AVATAR land coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

Bairstow

Funny - I heard so much negative stuff, I thought for sure I'd hate Avatar...only watched it so Pandora would make more sense when we visited. I ended up loving it - not just the characters and the beauty of world itself, but the bigger message behind the script of living in harmony with the land.

On the other hand, I know almost everyone will think I'm nuts, but I hated Star Wars. And this is someone who likes sci fi genre and most movies within it, as well as being a strong trekkie fan. I REALLY wanted to like it....I tried SO hard to like it, because I wanted to share everyone's excitement at the new land coming. Forced myself to watch 5 of them - but no dice. :grumpy:

I just felt like I was seeing the same storyline and battles over and over on every film. The script itself seemed so wooden and an afterthought to the battle scenes. Really bummed about that.:( I honestly can't connect to what everyone loves so much about that series. I wish I could.

I can only assume that the five Star Wars movies you watched were all three prequels and both Ewok movies.

Caravan_bg.jpeg

Jones14

so for the folks who have been to Pandora did the land meet your expectations?
Did you have a change of opinion once you visited the land?
It exceeded my expectations. I expected to like it, but I didn't expect for the food, the atmosphere, or FoP to blow me away as much as they did. It's at Diagon's level of immersion, but it has the benefit of having a MUCH better headliner than Gringotts.

I'm a huge Potter fan, but I'd take this over either of the lands due to the combination of better theming (than Hogsmeade) and better atttractions (than Diagon).

River Journey met my expectations, as did the merchandise. I expect live entertainment to be the land's main weakness, with only the drum circle serving that market, but I'm not upset about it because AK is already abundant with live entertainment.

Tate-316

Does anyone actually care about this land? I'm sure its completely immersive and technologically impressive, but honestly... does anyone care beyond that? I think Disney got caught w/their proverbial pants down while snatching up rights to characters and stories outside of their traditional property on this one. Marvel, Star Wars... genius! Cash cows! Avatar? We'll see, but I have my doubts. Nothing about this is exciting to me.

Looking through a conservation lens, I kind of... maybe... will stretch myself to understand why they think this fits in Animal Kingdom, but its a shame to see a park grounded in so much natural reality (even the Yeti from a cultural perspective) now include a theme that is completely contrived. If Disney is betting on the Avatar properties raking in a lot of cash when Cameron makes his 47 sequels in 2042, so be it.... build it at Hollywood Studios where the focus is movie making. Star Wars should have gotten its own park anyway. I'm sure people will chime in about the cost/benefit studies of building a new park, but has anyone done those studies when the park theme is Star Wars?

I remain more interested in a Tangled themed rest area at Magic Kingdom than this new land. Years of wasted WDI resources that could have been used re-theming or increasing in the immersion in parts of the parks people still like to visit but are 30+ years old To me, Avatar are just tall Smurfs riding weird animals b/c the demagogue James Cameron thought them up a long time ago and made one movie about them. I never saw that movie and no one has ever even attempted to convince me I'm missing out on something. It remains in the Netflix queue and maybe I'll watch it before my next Disney trip.

Anyway, I've been wanting to rant about this for a number of years. I would have thought (and my guess is Disney thought as well) that there would have been some Avatar sequels by now and maybe my interest would have increased but that has not come to pass.

twebber55

Does anyone actually care about this land? I'm sure its completely immersive and technologically impressive, but honestly... does anyone care beyond that? I think Disney got caught w/their proverbial pants down while snatching up rights to characters and stories outside of their traditional property on this one. Marvel, Star Wars... genius! Cash cows! Avatar? We'll see, but I have my doubts. Nothing about this is exciting to me.

Looking through a conservation lens, I kind of... maybe... will stretch myself to understand why they think this fits in Animal Kingdom, but its a shame to see a park grounded in so much natural reality (even the Yeti from a cultural perspective) now include a theme that is completely contrived. If Disney is betting on the Avatar properties raking in a lot of cash when Cameron makes his 47 sequels in 2042, so be it.... build it at Hollywood Studios where the focus is movie making. Star Wars should have gotten its own park anyway. I'm sure people will chime in about the cost/benefit studies of building a new park, but has anyone done those studies when the park theme is Star Wars?

I remain more interested in a Tangled themed rest area at Magic Kingdom than this new land. Years of wasted WDI resources that could have been used re-theming or increasing in the immersion in parts of the parks people still like to visit but are 30+ years old To me, Avatar are just tall Smurfs riding weird animals b/c the demagogue James Cameron thought them up a long time ago and made one movie about them. I never saw that movie and no one has ever even attempted to convince me I'm missing out on something. It remains in the Netflix queue and maybe I'll watch it before my next Disney trip.

Anyway, I've been wanting to rant about this for a number of years. I would have thought (and my guess is Disney thought as well) that there would have been some Avatar sequels by now and maybe my interest would have increased but that has not come to pass.
welcome to the boards!

PorterRedkey

More excited for the Tangled restrooms than Pandora? Really? Really?

Also, why should I listen to the opinion of someone who hasn't even seen the movie? Go watch the movie and then come back and give your informed opinion. It may be the same, but at least then you will know what you are talking about.

dreamscometrue

More excited for the Tangled restrooms than Pandora? Really? Really?

Also, why should I listen to the opinion of someone who hasn't even seen the movie? Go watch the movie and then come back and give your informed opinion. It may be the same, but at least then you will know what you are talking about.
And that, my friend, is why the 'Ignore' feature is so awesome. Some posts are so ridiculous, and so obviously there simply to get a reaction, it's far more pleasant on these boards by ignoring a couple dozen troll like people. I'm not necessarily saying this new member is like that, just something to keep in mind in general.

IMO one of the most underrated attractions/shows in orlando right now.
The refurbishment that the tree went under and in combination with the drones is really quite amazing!
Am I correct in understanding that this glorious spectacle does not occur regularly? I couldn't care less about the drones but that light work on and in the tree brought tears to my eyes and I was just watching the video on my phone!

ar81

Are there any interactive elements to the land? I thought there was supposed to be. And did the experience at nighttime meet the hype? That was one of the main things they kept pushing was how much the land was supposed to come to life at night...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom