AVATAR land coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

msteel

So, has anybody have any experience with early closures for an event like this? This is one of the days I will be in town and I am wondering:
1) Are the crowds worse or better on a day with short hours like this? Do people notice the short hours and stay away, making lines short? Do people go anyway then hop to another park? We do not have park hopper tickets so that would not be an option for us.

2) Since there is obviously a media event that day, are soft opens of Pandora for general park-goers more or less likely?

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
So, has anybody have any experience with early closures for an event like this? This is one of the days I will be in town and I am wondering:
1) Are the crowds worse or better on a day with short hours like this? Do people notice the short hours and stay away, making lines short? Do people go anyway then hop to another park? We do not have park hopper tickets so that would not be an option for us.

2) Since there is obviously a media event that day, are soft opens of Pandora for general park-goers more or less likely?
There is no rule book with soft openings. The best you can do is be in the park and keep checking if they are letting people in. If the day is a specific media event, I would not bet on easy, quick access, if any at all. Best approach for softs (IMO) is to go into it with proper expectations. By that, Im talking about expecting the worst (crowds) but hope for the best, (a slight chance to ride an attraction).

Ismael Flores

Normally on the day of press event they don't even consider doing soft openings because many times they will set up an area within the land for drinks and food items for the media.
Best bet is that the day after the land would open after it has been cleared of any equipment or preparations that were added for the event

FigmentJedi

New Bloomberg article on Pandora featuring some really nice nighttime photography and this opening paragraph dedicated to talking about Joe Rohde's earlobe
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/feat...alactic-theme-park-quest-to-beat-harry-potter
The first thing you notice when you meet Joe Rohde is his left earlobe—the one that stretches down to his jawline because it’s carrying 12 hoops. He’s collected them in journeys to Africa, South America, and the Himalayas, and it’s gotten to the point where locals now give him unsolicited earrings, either because they like his style or want to test the limits of what Rohde refers to as his National Geographic ear. “It’s happened with Tibetan people on a trail, Thai hill people, Masai warriors,” says Rohde, a veteran executive in Walt Disney Co.’s Imagineering division, which designs theme parks. “They just hand me stuff.” He shrugs.

dennis-in-ct

New Bloomberg article on Pandora featuring some really nice nighttime photography and this opening paragraph dedicated to talking about Joe Rohde's earlobe
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/feat...alactic-theme-park-quest-to-beat-harry-potter

“Things have really reversed: Disney used to lead. Now Disney’s following Universal,” says Gary Goddard, a theme park designer in North Hollywood who’s worked for both companies. But, he adds, “in doing so they’re going to try to top it.”

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Do you really think that humanity can make up for its sins by restoring Pandora to its natural habitat?! LIES!!!

Already we have infected the moon with invasive Earthling species...

upload_2017-5-1_18-23-15.png

Bairstow

Funny how you'll probably see more earth animals in Pandora than animals from Pandora

...at least not until all the kids start wearing those banshee shoulder buddy things.

windtraders-banshee-toys.png

Is there any good sci-fi that talks about humans introducing rats and pigeons onto alien worlds and their wrecking the ecosystem?

DisneyPrincess5

I remember when Avatar Land was announced. Feels like so long ago...probably because it kind of was! It's awesome to see it finally come to life.
Last night, my family and I watched a few videos of Pandora and both rides. It looks really awesome-it got us super excited. We're not huge fans of Avatar the movie but we couldn't deny how cool and detailed it seems. Imagineers clearly put a ton of time and effort into making it meet Disney standards and expectations.

I have some claustrophobia/fear being trapped issues so I'm a little bit spooked by the whole "back and leg restraints" detail on Flight of Passage but I think I'll put my brave pants on and try it just once at least. Thoughts?

We won't make it back to WDW until probably Spring/Early Summer 2018 so I look forward to seeing it then!

prfctlyximprct

...at least not until all the kids start wearing those banshee shoulder buddy things.

windtraders-banshee-toys.png

Is there any good sci-fi that talks about humans introducing rats and pigeons onto alien worlds and their wrecking the ecosystem?
These things legit freak me out. And they "pick" you. Ha. Kind of like some magical, oh what's it's called? WAND IN HARRY POTTER. Banshee on my shoulder psh!

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
These things legit freak me out. And they "pick" you. Ha. Kind of like some magical, oh what's it's called? WAND IN HARRY POTTER. Banshee on my shoulder psh!
In all fairness, isnt that how it worked in Avatar (the movie)? If I recall, doesnt the Banshee pick the person who flies it? I could be wrong and Im not about to watch Avatar again, lol. I dont blame Disney for capitalizing on it, but it does it feel like they are doing the HP Wand gag

flyerjab

In all fairness, isnt that how it worked in Avatar (the movie)? If I recall, doesnt the Banshee pick the person who flies it? I could be wrong and Im not about to watch Avatar again, lol. I dont blame Disney for capitalizing on it, but it does it feel like they are doing the HP Wand gag

If I recall correctly, in the movie Jake is taken to the top of the floating mountains to undertake his rite of passage. He travels behind a waterfall to an aerie where there are tons of banshees. He walks through them and they all turn away, don't engage, fly off, etc., until one locks eyes with him. He then has to master it by mounting it and immediately flying off the mountain with it.

So I suppose it is in line with the "science" of the movie. The fact that they shaped it into a salable concept was pretty neat IMO. I know three kids that already want one (and at least one adult).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom