AVATAR land coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

tribbleorlfl

Something I was wondering, and I apologize if this has already been addressed. What is the story going to be to explain how we can breathe the Pandoran air?

michmousefan

Something I was wondering, and I apologize if this has already been addressed. What is the story going to be to explain how we can breathe the Pandoran air?
As I recall at D23, I believe part of the backstory is that the moon has been terraformed to make it so that humans don't need masks to breathe any longer. Rohde definitely has a story in place.

tribbleorlfl

Willing suspension of disbelief? Same reason you can "breath underwater" on Journey of the Little Mermaid at Magic Kingdom or breath in the void of space on Space Mountain?

its called a theme park, stop being so literal
You mean, we're not actually going to be on Pandora or ride real Banshees? I had no idea...

My point was, Disney has made their bread and butter elevating simple amusement park attractions to engaging experiences by incorporating technology, themeing and storylines (in varying degrees of success) to "make us part of the action." That's true even more so when looking at these highly-detailed, immersive lands that Disney and Uni have been building of the late.

Of course a suspension of disbelief is required to let one's imagination run wild and fully enjoy the immersive theming. However, considering the toxicity of Pandora's air was well-established in (and arguably a major plotline of) Avatar, if Disney doesn't address this in the storyline of the land, it invalidates the suspension of disbelief in my book and defeats the purpose of building an immersive, themed environment based on the movie.

Besides, I thought I asked the question on WDWMagic, a message board where virtually every facet of Disney's operations are reported on, scrutinized, discussed and debated. When there's 100+ pages of discussion on whether Frozen belongs at Epcot, I figured it was pretty innocuous.

As I recall at D23, I believe part of the backstory is that the moon has been terraformed to make it so that humans don't need masks to breathe any longer. Rohde definitely has a story in place.
Thanks, I didn't watch any of the D23 pannels, so I missed that. Pretty much what I figured considering Aliens features an Atmosphere Processor. That being said, wouldn't terraforming undercut the conservation message of AK? Surely making the air breathable for humans would make the wire unbreathable for the indigenous lifeforms...

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member

Everyone will be killed as soon as they cross the threshold into Pandora unless they bought a breathing apparatus at the newly annointed Rafiki's Breathing Apparatus Shop (RBAS) for $78 (included in platinum annual pass).

Last edited:

DisneyOutsider

if Disney doesn't address this in the storyline of the land, it invalidates the suspension of disbelief in my book and defeats the purpose of building an immersive, themed environment based on the movie.

Wow.. if THAT is all it will take to keep you from enjoying Pandora, I have a feeling you're gonna have a rough time once this thing opens.

We could bring up a million and one examples of other themed lands that don't address the means by which normal humans may visit, but I have a feeling that nothing will be good enough for you.

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
Of course a suspension of disbelief is required to let one's imagination run wild and fully enjoy the immersive theming. However, considering the toxicity of Pandora's air was well-established in (and arguably a major plotline of) Avatar, if Disney doesn't address this in the storyline of the land, it invalidates the suspension of disbelief in my book and defeats the purpose of building an immersive, themed environment based on the movie.

And if they do not have some sort of stargate/teleport/simulated space experience between the rest of Animal Kingdom and where you enter Pandora, will that have just a big of a let down for you? It would seem that if you are willing to suspend your disbelief that you can cross the galaxy to a completely different celestial body just by crossing a bridge, surely you can suspend your disbelief that the air is no longer toxic.

flyerjab

On Episode 90 of The Unofficial Guide's Disney Dish podcast, Jim Hill said that Disney is working to have Pandora: The World of Avatar open by the end of 2016.

IMHO, that almost borders on impossible. I also listened to that podcast, and he indicated that the reasoning for this is because of everything that is going on at UNI at that time (Volcano Bay, Jimmy Fallon, etc.). Believe me, I would love for that to be true, but I can't think of any recent project at WDW that had a revised completion date months earlier than initially projected. Also, I remember Jim not too long ago stating that Pandora was falling behind schedule. Time will tell.

HauntedMansionFLA

IMHO, that almost borders on impossible. I also listened to that podcast, and he indicated that the reasoning for this is because of everything that is going on at UNI at that time (Volcano Bay, Jimmy Fallon, etc.). Believe me, I would love for that to be true, but I can't think of any recent project at WDW that had a revised completion date months earlier than initially projected. Also, I remember Jim not too long ago stating that Pandora was falling behind schedule. Time will tell.
We will be down there at the end of November into December 2016! Not holding my breathe but miracles can happen.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom