Avatar Flight of Passage reviews, comments and questions

Castle Cake Apologist

AGREE AGREE AGREE. They have somewhat ruined the Haunted Mansion's preshow by being loose with the doors, allowing people to talk, and essentially just allowing people to roam freely. I blame management for not training cast members to say, "quiet, please" and having tighter timing on entry/exit of both rooms and foyer. It's such a simple show, but has a lot of power to get you into the right mindset if it's allowed to work as intended. It seems they are rushing people in and out of the stretching rooms, but you end up waiting in the next roomed to be squeezed down to a single file line. We don't need to hurry up just to wait in the cattle room before boarding...

It also completely kills the vibe when the doors are wide open and letting all that Florida sunshine in during the Ghost Host's monologue. I absolutely adore everything else that they did in 2007, but this was a terrible change. Everybody should be loaded in and the doors should be shut before the narration begins. Period.

I've even been ushered in before when the group was already making its way into the stretch rooms!

Chef Mickey

It also completely kills the vibe when the doors are wide open and letting all that Florida sunshine in during the Ghost Host's monologue. I absolutely adore everything else that they did in 2007, but this was a terrible change. Everybody should be loaded in and the doors should be shut before the narration begins. Period.

I've even been ushered in before when the group was already making its way into the stretch rooms!
The Haunted Mansion is my favorite ride. I probably rode it 12 times when I was there last week. I'd say 6/12 were me entering when the Ghost Host was already a skeleton and the stretching rooms were loading. Once, I even purposely stayed back so I could be the first to enter when they opened the doors.

Castle Cake Apologist

The Haunted Mansion is my favorite ride. I probably rode it 12 times when I was there last week. I'd say 6/12 were me entering when the Ghost Host was already a skeleton and the stretching rooms were loading. Once, I even purposely stayed back so I could be the first to enter when they opened the doors.

That's what I've started doing too! The Cast Members are very understanding about it. I believe that the narration was changed in 2007 to be automated, so the Cast Members no longer have control over when it begins.

Chef Mickey

That's what I've started doing too! The Cast Members are very understanding about it. I believe that the narration was changed in 2007 to be automated, so the Cast Members no longer have control over when it begins.
Did you also notice the failure of the hitchicking ghost tech at the end? It seems to never work quick right anymore and used to be MUCH better. My face is always 6 inches to the right if it's swapped with my wife and hard to see, or the trick they are doing is completely invisible, leaving you thinking, "What did he do?"

Castle Cake Apologist

Did you also notice the failure of the hitchicking ghost tech at the end? It seems to never work quick right anymore and used to be MUCH better. My face is always 6 inches to the right if it's swapped with my wife and hard to see, or the trick they are doing is completely invisible, leaving you thinking, "What did he do?"

It's hit or miss sometimes. I wish they would just go back to the (honestly) much more effective original effect. It's painfully obvious that the new effect is just CGI ghosts projected onto a mirror doing things that Snapchat does more convincingly. The original effect genuinely left many riders stumped as to how it was accomplished.

Chef Mickey

It's hit or miss sometimes. I wish they would just go back to the (honestly) much more effective original effect. It's painfully obvious that the new effect is just CGI ghosts projected onto a mirror doing things that Snapchat does more convincingly. The original effect genuinely left many riders stumped as to how it was accomplished.
Totally with you. It took me 20+ years of riding and wondering since I was a kid to figure out what they did and I only did when I saw a picture.

ToTBellHop

I might be wrong, but I believe the "official" single rider line was removed as of a few days ago. Like the signage and everything. They've just been pulling people out of the regular line instead.

That's disappointing. I guess we will just have to wait until the kids are 44" tall, then. I was planning on using the Single-Rider Line.

It's bizarre that they can almost never seem to successfully use single rider lines at WDW when they are widely used on the West Coast and even Universal Orlando uses them. Why specifically build SRLs for new projects and not use them? Seems like poor planning. They already played this game with Soarin' 12 years ago.

peter11435

That's disappointing. I guess we will just have to wait until the kids are 44" tall, then. I was planning on using the Single-Rider Line.

It's bizarre that they can almost never seem to successfully use single rider lines at WDW when they are widely used on the West Coast and even Universal Orlando uses them. Why specifically build SRLs for new projects and not use them? Seems like poor planning. They already played this game with Soarin' 12 years ago.
I know at WDW they often result in lots of abuse by guests. Also they sometimes lead to poor/lazy/inefficient grouping by the cast members because they simply rely on the singles to fill seats rather than efficiently grouping parties to fill seats. Building them and not using them is poor planning.

disneygeek90

I know at WDW they often result in lots of abuse by guests. Also they sometimes lead to poor/lazy/inefficient grouping by the cast members because they simply rely on the singles to fill seats rather than efficiently grouping parties to fill seats. Building them and not using them is poor planning.
I'm curious in how this is abused by guests.

peter11435

I'm curious in how this is abused by guests.
Large numbers of guests enter the single rider lines and then when grouped into a single seat complain that they didn't know it was a single rider lane and incist on riding together. Often due to Disney's desire to avoid confrontation the guests are seated together. They will also do this with children and then incist that they don't want their child riding alone and demand to sit with them. At the very least it causes delays and guest issues but often allows guests to bypass the standby line and still ride together as a family.

It's also problematic because while great for actual single travelers and parents to do swap it's often used by families and groups just looking for a shorter line. That wouldn't normally be a problem but when the standby line is several hours long large numbers of guests will choose this option creating a singles line that is unmanageable.

From an efficiency standby pulling single riders out of the lines is the most efficient option.

Castle Cake Apologist

Large numbers of guests enter the single rider lines and then when grouped into a single seat complain that they didn't know it was a single rider lane and incist on riding together. Often due to Disney's desire to avoid confrontation the guests are seated together. They will also do this with children and then incist that they don't want their child riding alone and demand to sit with them. At the very least it causes delays and guest issues but often allows guests to bypass the standby line and still ride together as a family.

It's also problematic because while great for actual single travelers and parents to do swap it's often used by families and groups just looking for a shorter line. That wouldn't normally be a problem but when the standby line is several hours long large numbers of guests will choose this option creating a singles line that is unmanageable.

From an efficiency standby pulling single riders out of the lines is the most efficient option.

I honestly have to agree with this, having spent quite a bit of time in Park Ops. Single Rider lines just don't work in the entitled atmosphere of WDW.

Castle Cake Apologist

I have seen some attempt to abuse single rider lines even at DLR. Cali Screamin to be specific.

Oh, I don't doubt that it happens there too, abuse of rules is bound to happen anywhere... I just don't think that it's nearly as prevalent. It gets pretty bad at WDW sometimes.

EDIT: I think part of it is probably the fact that Disneyland has a very heavy population of local visitors. These people tend to be very loyal to Disneyland and treat it with much more respect that the average family vacationing for the first and only time at WDW.

disneygeek90

I go to the parks alone fairly often and it's awesome. Though when I go with family we will often op to use it as well, as my mom doesn't usually ride the single rider rides and my bro, dad and I will do single rider. I don't think that's necessarily abusing the system. We are choosing to ride separate in lieu of a longer wait. Even if it does get backed up, it's shorter than the standby.

Now when people try to claim they didn't know, that's absolutely abusing. My family always makes fun of how much they tell you that you will be separated, but I guess some still ignore the memo. :rolleyes:

peter11435

I go to the parks alone fairly often and it's awesome. Though when I go with family we will often op to use it as well, as my mom doesn't usually ride the single rider rides and my bro, dad and I will do single rider. I don't think that's necessarily abusing the system. We are choosing to ride separate in lieu of a longer wait. Even if it does get backed up, it's shorter than the standby.

Now when people try to claim they didn't know, that's absolutely abusing. My family always makes fun of how much they tell you that you will be separated, but I guess some still ignore the memo. :rolleyes:
I'm not saying what your family does is abusing. It is not. But when a large enough percentage of guests experiencing an attraction decides to do what your family does the whole system fails. And when you have an attraction like FOP with a 2-3 hour wait large percentages of guests will do what they can to minimize that wait.

disneygeek90

I'm not saying what your family does is abusing. It is not. But when a large enough percentage of guests experiencing an attraction decides to do what your family does the whole system fails. And when you have an attraction like FOP with a 2-3 hour wait large percentages of guests will do what they can to minimize that wait.
True, I just think there are at least a couple of seats each show that don't get filled. When I last rode there were 4 people in my row. I'm assuming some of them were not functioning, but I would think it would at least help a few more per hour get through.

Eckert

I honestly have to agree with this, having spent quite a bit of time in Park Ops. Single Rider lines just don't work in the entitled atmosphere of WDW.

Agreed. At Universal, ride ops aren't afraid to be confrontational with guests misusing the Single Riders lines. They'll try to accommodate and put small groups together every so often, but they are very strict about it.

TomHendricks

Agreed. At Universal, ride ops aren't afraid to be confrontational with guests misusing the Single Riders lines. They'll try to accommodate and put small groups together every so often, but they are very strict about it.
I was just in Disneyland and the Cast Members at Radiator Springs Racers were ruthless (in a good way) about the single ride line. They didn't allow anyone to who went through the single ride lane to sit together. Reminding the people they were in the single ride lane. It was actually refreshing to see. The cast members were extremely polite but didn't relent and this was several different cast members.

peter11435

True, I just think there are at least a couple of seats each show that don't get filled. When I last rode there were 4 people in my row. I'm assuming some of them were not functioning, but I would think it would at least help a few more per hour get through.
In my experience (just 4 rides) the cast have been good about finding singles in line and soliciting parties of 2/3 willing to split on the final ramp to ensure no seats are skipped. He only empty seats I have seen have been those that were non functioning.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom