Autopia's ASIMO (and bird) Comes To Life

TP2000

Original Poster
Sometime in the last few days the ASIMO and bird vignettes that were added to Autopia last month were turned on. In a nice surprise the ASIMO robot now has motion and movements, waving at passing motorists, trying to help the bird out of his predicaments, showing off his Honda equipment, etc., etc.

The bird also moves around, and some vignettes have other moving effects working now too. I thought it was kind of weird to spend all that money on all those set pieces and then just have them sit there frozen, especially the robot. Maybe this should be a lesson to TDA that in this Social Media Annual Passholder age you shouldn't open a ride until it is fully ready to go, lest you get some really snarky reviews within the first 48 hours. :eek:

Here's the Autopia ride-through from this past weekend, with a working ASIMO and bird show...

SuddenStorm

I'm an advocate for keeping the Autopia- I think it's a neat ride that has a lot of potential.

But the key word there is potential

This current iterations is lousy, and I likely won't take the time to ride it until it gets another refresh.

Figments Friend

Nice!
I'm glad to see the figures moving now.
Adds a much better vibe to the new scenes.

I do have to wonder though why these were not operational once the Attraction re-opened from this recent overlay.
Seems odd.

-

TP2000

Original Poster
I do have to wonder though why these were not operational once the Attraction re-opened from this recent overlay.
Seems odd.

Just very bad project planning on display there.

And a gross misunderstanding of how good showmanship works by whatever TDA executive committee approved re-opening Autopia to paying customers with frozen animatronics and uncompleted set pieces.

Ismael Flores

I'm all for integrating a version of Autopia into Cars Land and clearing that crap out of Disneyland. The Subs and Innoventions too. I won't shed a single tear.
I was really surprised that WDI didn't do this to begin with. Seems like the could have added an additional track within the mountain range to create an autopia style ride for families that have young ones that can't go on RSR.

I'm also surprised they couldn't maybe find a way of using a section of the peoplemover track to add an elevated section of the autopia. A slow moving ride with returned cars to look a bit more futurist that maybe were self propelled slowly thru the upper section thru the buildings. Only use the part of track that goesthru the buildings and add Necessary evacuation points within the indoor sections.
Then tear out the majority of track that zigzags thru the old motorboat area which used to be part of the original fantasyland autopia.
The old tomorrowland autopia used to be o to the section that ran south to north on the east side of propertyiver submarine building.

Last edited:

GiveMeTheMusic

I was really surprised that WDI didn't do this to begin with. Seems like the could have added an additional track within the mountain range to create an autopia style ride for families that have young ones that can't go on RSR.

It seems like a no-brainer, which should clue you in as to why Disney didn't think of it in the first place.

No Name

This is really neat. Definitely better than the static figures, but not too much going on to the point that it would cause rubbernecking. I like the simple story. And the new look, in general, fits the tomorrowland vibe far more than the 2005 colors did.

Overall, I say the Honda sponsorship has been great for this ride.

And a gross misunderstanding of how good showmanship works by whatever TDA executive committee approved re-opening Autopia to paying customers with frozen animatronics and uncompleted set pieces.

I'm sure, for every one APer who cares, there are many families who are making their first trip to the park, and who just want to ride the Autopia.

I know I feel that way for parks that I don't visit frequently. In fact, as a paying customer, I'd be annoyed if a theme park kept a ride closed because one smallish thing wasn't working or wasn't ready. Since I paid to be there, and I won't be back for years, I would like to ride.

So I actually think it was a wonderful decision by TDA.

But a temporary sign notifying reviewers that the atrraction's effects aren't 100% on... that would be useful.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Nice!
I'm glad to see the figures moving now.
Adds a much better vibe to the new scenes.

Seems odd.

-

I wonder if the reason for the delay in turning on the movement was due to the recent storms. I said in the other thread about this that he's probably not an all-weather ASIMO.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
This is really neat. Definitely better than the static figures, but not too much going on to the point that it would cause rubbernecking. I like the simple story. And the new look, in general, fits the tomorrowland vibe far more than the 2005 colors did.

Overall, I say the Honda sponsorship has been great for this ride.

I'm sure, for every one APer who cares, there are many families who are making their first trip to the park, and who just want to ride the Autopia.

I know I feel that way for parks that I don't visit frequently. In fact, as a paying customer, I'd be annoyed if a theme park kept a ride closed because one smallish thing wasn't working or wasn't ready. Since I paid to be there, and I won't be back for years, I would like to ride.

So I actually think it was a wonderful decision by TDA.

I'm hoping that Honda keeps wanting to add to Autopia. Even to the point, provided its staying around for awhile, of changing out the vehicles for more hybrid or full electric ones.

And for those that say they can't run all day on electric, golf carts do it and so did Autopia in HKDL which was also sponsored by Honda. Its a matter of changing the load/unload platform to have a charging section to give a quick charge during load/unload, this is how HKDL did.

But a temporary sign notifying reviewers that the atrraction's effects aren't 100% on... that would be useful.

Well that would ruin the surprise now wouldn't it...

D

Deleted member 107043

The animation is cute, but not enough to save this sad attraction from being chopped in my book. C'mon Disney you can do better than this. Way better.

Ismael Flores

Speaking of Autopia, i was surprised to hear that the newest incarnation of these rides was shuttered in Hong Kong. Out of curiosity anyone know what they will end up doing with all those cars?
If TDA won't make the decision to tear out the one in Anaheim would it make sense for Disney to buy those cars from Hong Kong and integrate them in Anaheim? Or is the cost for the infustructure to high for even that investment until they figure out what to do with tomorrowland

D

Deleted member 107043

including Space Mountain

Photo+Jun+29%252C+9+38+29+PM.gif

dweezil78

So it went from a few lame sets that don't move to a few lame sets that slightly move? Where do I line-up??? (Rhetorical question, I was on it a week ago to check out the new lame sets that didn't move.)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom