Autopia gets a Honda as a Sponsor?

Rteetz

No inside information, but I'd suspect there's something in the Test Track deal that says GM has exclusive rights.
Chevy is the title sponsor of Test Track now. Yes I know GM owns Chevy but it seems they only want to focus on Chevy instead of where it used to be GM for the old version of Test Track.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Chevy is the title sponsor of Test Track now. Yes I know GM owns Chevy but it seems they only want to focus on Chevy instead of where it used to be GM for the old version of Test Track.
The contract is with GM. If indeed the exclusivity clause exists in the sponsorship agreement, you can be sure that there'd be no conflict if GM wanted to sponsor the Speedway and brand it as Cadillac.

TP2000

Disneyland's Autopia, Powered by Honda sponsorship is brand new and just debuted this weekend. Autopia had been closed for four months for a big refurbishment and show upgrade.

Honda had previously sponsored the Asimo robot show in Disneyland's Innoventions before it closed last year to become Star Wars Launch Bay. Honda has also sponsored Disneyland's fireworks shows and its Grad Nites in recent years, so the Honda/Disneyland connection is about 15 years old at this point. The Autopia thing is new once the Chevron sponsorship ended there last year.

I'm no expert on this, but I would assume the GM contract with Test Track prevents any other car company from sponsoring anything at WDW while GM is there. General Motors has Disney World, and Honda has Disneyland. That's probably for the best, demographically.

Last edited:

UpAllNight

Crikey Tomorrowland Speedway really needs new investment from somewhere. I remember it looking dated almost 12 years ago. Such a large area that it takes up for such a poor attraction. There's definitely a place for this type of ride, just please atleast make an attempt to theme it to fit in Tomorrowland.

TP2000

Crikey Tomorrowland Speedway really needs new investment from somewhere. I remember it looking dated almost 12 years ago. Such a large area that it takes up for such a poor attraction. There's definitely a place for this type of ride, just please atleast make an attempt to theme it to fit in Tomorrowland.

Agreed. Speedway was iffy-at-best in Tomorrowland even in the 1970's. The Indianapolis 500 overlay it got in the 1990's wasn't the real change the attraction needed.

A neat thing Disneyland's new Honda Autopia got was a pre-show and queue enhancements that show Walt Disney's old "Magic Highways USA" film from 1958 that showed what the future of freeways and driving would be like. It's hysterical in all its predictions and its' 1950's campyness. But it could work great as a theme for the Tomorrowland locale; they could even rename Speedway to Autopia like every other Castle park around the world. (Wait, I think Tokyo calls their Autopia a "Speedway" too. But Anaheim, Paris and Hong Kong have Autopias)
DSC_6437-X2.jpg

DSC_6402-X2.jpg

Uncle Walt gives us a "realistic look at the road ahead" in Magic Highway USA. Hysterical! And a valid Autopia/Speedway theme for the 21st century.

The Empress Lilly

Maybe they should just go for the Future that never was in Tomorrowlands in general.
Mid century modern is the trendiest thing out there right now. And WDW has an entire land of it, lying dormant like Sleeping Beauty. The real thing, authentic, not a modern retro one. All they have to do is awaken it from underneath the silly nineties space toon alien overlay. WDW, embrace your inner mid mod, rather than hide it!

*eyes TTC too*

Last edited:

Mike S

Agreed. Speedway was iffy-at-best in Tomorrowland even in the 1970's. The Indianapolis 500 overlay it got in the 1990's wasn't the real change the attraction needed.

A neat thing Disneyland's new Honda Autopia got was a pre-show and queue enhancements that show Walt Disney's old "Magic Highways USA" film from 1958 that showed what the future of freeways and driving would be like. It's hysterical in all its predictions and its' 1950's campyness. But it could work great as a theme for the Tomorrowland locale; they could even rename Speedway to Autopia like every other Castle park around the world. (Wait, I think Tokyo calls their Autopia a "Speedway" too. But Anaheim, Paris and Hong Kong have Autopias)
DSC_6437-X2.jpg

DSC_6402-X2.jpg

Uncle Walt gives us a "realistic look at the road ahead" in Magic Highway USA. Hysterical! And a valid Autopia/Speedway theme for the 21st century.

There's your New Tomorrowland Disney. Fill it with the most amazing fantasies of the future you can without worrying about realism. That's for Future World.

The Empress Lilly

There's your New Tomorrowland Disney. Fill it with the most amazing fantasies of the future you can without worrying about realism. That's for Future World.
Great brevity of words to describe why FW never made TL obsolete!

TL doesn't need to be Toddler Alien and Random Pixar Land.

As long as this look stays and is expanded upon.
4383728020_c088be5e41.jpg
Colourful at night, but otherwise it is to vintage TL as your local McDonald's double M arch is to the Empire State Building.

ff07a38cda5692a8852667076758c868.jpg

ShoalFox

In the Parks
Yes
Isn't it rather uncommon for WDW and DLR rides to share sponsors? The only instance I can think of is when the Space Mountains in Florida and Anaheim were both sponsored by FedEx.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom