Auto Train thoughts and a stay at the Contemporary - Garden wing vs. Tower

Schneewittchen

Hi everyone, something amazing happened this weekend. We haven't even had our Easter 2016 WDW trip yet, but my spouse agreed that we could think about staying in a WDW hotel for Easter 2017 instead of camping at Ft. Wilderness.

We usually take 2 days to drive from DC to Florida, overnighting in Savannah. Spend a couple of days at the beach (St. Pete's) and then 4 nights at WDW.

My husband is talking auto train instead of driving. He's a big fan of train travel. The kids and I have never been on a real train trip, only scenic excursion trains. Money isn't really an issue. A lot of this would be about having the experience. It's a 17ish hour overnight trip with kids that will be 5 and 7. If you've done the long Amtrak trip with kids, would you do coach or roomette (that's bunk beds)? I assume in the roomette we might actually be well-rested when we arrive in Florida in the morning.

The other option would be driving non-stop in shifts from about 4 am until about 10 pm. We've done this a couple of times in the motorhome, it's cheaper than the train, but tiring.

Accommodations. The husband seems to have his heart set on the Contemporary. He has no interest in the Poly or any of the other MK resorts. I can agree to the Contemporary, I love Brutalist architecture and MK is my favorite park so it would be the bee's knees to take a 10 minute stroll and be at the gate. And if it wasn't obvious, we all nerd on the monorail. So, if you've stayed at the Contemporary, perhaps in both the Garden wing and the Tower at various points. Is the extra $100 - $200/night worth it to stay in the Tower? Being near the shops, restaurants, monorail and all that.....

One last question, we never get any deals for camping at Ft. Wilderness. Can I expect to take advantage of 25% - 30% off the room rate with one of the Spring Break package discounts? I tend to book our Easter trips in September. Are the discount packages available that early?

Tuvalu

Premium Member
If you take the Auto Train, spring for the bunks. I can still remember our family trip over 30 years ago when my parents insisted that the reclining seats in coach would be fine. They weren't and the trip was miserable...especially for my mother, who had to tend with my 3 year old brother who would not settle in to sleep. While you still might not end up "well rested" sleeping in bunk beds, it will be lots better than sleeping on a seat.

If your Contemporary stay will be once-in-a-lifetime, absolutely choose the tower. Nothing beats the coolness factor of riding a monorail into your hotel and then getting on an elevator to go up to your room. While we always find the Bay Lake view more scenic (you can see the pools and all the activity on the lake; watch an amazing sunrise; and watch the Electrical Water Pageant from your balcony), a MK view may give you the ability to watch fireworks while in bed.

Being in the garden wing always feels less connected to the fun in the main tower, and you could have a hefty walk depending on your room's location.

The Contemporary does offer room discounts, but if you are traveling during Easter you will be paying peak prices and there may not be discounts. Here is a list of historical discounts:
http://www.mousesavers.com/historical-information-on-walt-disney-world-resort-discounts/

Upvote 0

DManRightHere

Hi everyone, something amazing happened this weekend. We haven't even had our Easter 2016 WDW trip yet, but my spouse agreed that we could think about staying in a WDW hotel for Easter 2017 instead of camping at Ft. Wilderness.

We usually take 2 days to drive from DC to Florida, overnighting in Savannah. Spend a couple of days at the beach (St. Pete's) and then 4 nights at WDW.

My husband is talking auto train instead of driving. He's a big fan of train travel. The kids and I have never been on a real train trip, only scenic excursion trains. Money isn't really an issue. A lot of this would be about having the experience. It's a 17ish hour overnight trip with kids that will be 5 and 7. If you've done the long Amtrak trip with kids, would you do coach or roomette (that's bunk beds)? I assume in the roomette we might actually be well-rested when we arrive in Florida in the morning.

The other option would be driving non-stop in shifts from about 4 am until about 10 pm. We've done this a couple of times in the motorhome, it's cheaper than the train, but tiring.

Accommodations. The husband seems to have his heart set on the Contemporary. He has no interest in the Poly or any of the other MK resorts. I can agree to the Contemporary, I love Brutalist architecture and MK is my favorite park so it would be the bee's knees to take a 10 minute stroll and be at the gate. And if it wasn't obvious, we all nerd on the monorail. So, if you've stayed at the Contemporary, perhaps in both the Garden wing and the Tower at various points. Is the extra $100 - $200/night worth it to stay in the Tower? Being near the shops, restaurants, monorail and all that.....

One last question, we never get any deals for camping at Ft. Wilderness. Can I expect to take advantage of 25% - 30% off the room rate with one of the Spring Break package discounts? I tend to book our Easter trips in September. Are the discount packages available that early?

I looked into the auto train from around DC. It sounded cool then I realized it was (I think) $95 per person plus $400 for the vehicle. I would do it if it were more reasonable than flying.

If you're flexible and near DC, it looks like kayak has a few flights for around $117 per person (as opposed to driving).

Upvote 0

YozhikRoth

I crunched the numbers for the Auto Train driving from Long Island to VA, and it simply did not make sense vs. flying. Most of the aggravation in the drive to Disney is getting to Virginia, and the fare (not even for the bunks) was not competitive enough vs. flying.

Upvote 0

Schneewittchen

Original Poster
I looked into the auto train from around DC. It sounded cool then I realized it was (I think) $95 per person plus $400 for the vehicle. I would do it if it were more reasonable than flying.

If you're flexible and near DC, it looks like kayak has a few flights for around $117 per person (as opposed to driving).

I'm not ready to fly with the kids yet. I could see my kids causing a security incident of some sort at the airport. Shouting. Running. Fisticuffs. Hysterical crying. You should see the fights that break out in the family room over watching Sofia the First on Disney Junior vs. Austin & Ally on the Disney Channel.

And my souvenir habit is such that I would probably have to buy an extra suitcase or three to drag home the loot.

But yes, you're correct, flying is a lot cheaper.

Upvote 0

DManRightHere

I'm not ready to fly with the kids yet. I could see my kids causing a security incident of some sort at the airport. Shouting. Running. Fisticuffs. Hysterical crying. You should see the fights that break out in the family room over watching Sofia the First on Disney Junior vs. Austin & Ally on the Disney Channel.

And my souvenir habit is such that I would probably have to buy an extra suitcase or three to drag home the loot.

But yes, you're correct, flying is a lot cheaper.

Well I'm sure TSA sees it all the time and I believe Disney will ship your suveneirs home, but after those scenarios I'd probably drive then and not risk a 17 hour train ride.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom