Pre-Trip Autism Move Over… There’s a Teenager on The Loose and Mommy’s Going Gluten Free!

Welcome everyone to our September 2015 Pre-Trip Report

So here we are…

It’s been a tough year. We honestly didn’t think this trip would happen. It has just been one thing after another since last December! We lost my mother-in-law to Cancer in February. It still doesn't feel real to me. Her first trip to Disney World was with us in February 2008. It was also our 5 year old Julia’s first trip – so we have very special memories.

Dely & Julia Disney 2008.jpg

Disney 2008 2.jpg

Disney 2008 5.jpg

Disney 2008 6.jpg

Disney 2008 8.jpg

At the same time we lost my MIL, my husband lost his job. And since then, we have had a cousin who had a brain aneurysm, my father-in-law had 2 heart attacks, and most recently, Julia dislocated her knee ice-skating and I found out that I have “a few” bulging disks in my back! Mix that in with one of the most brutal northeast winters that I can remember and a summer that refuses to arrive!

Thankfully, my husband was able to get another job quickly and even though it will be tight, we really need some serious “happy time”. So we are heading back home to FQ. As much as Julia wants to stay at POP, I can’t leave FQ. It is too small and quiet and lovely.

There’s me - Mary aka “mom”

EPCOT_CHRCON1_7057364731.jpeg

Ross the dad aka Grumpy
Disney 2014 Day 11 045.JPG

Julia – now the teenager – aka “sissy”

Disney 2014 Day 10 033.JPG

Hope – aka “the Hopester” my 6 year old diagnosed with profound Autism. While our trips to Disney are always a challenge, they are so rewarding and always a positive experience.

Disney 2014 Day 4 097.JPG

Our past adventures include:

2014 Trip Report: http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/honey-i-blew-up-the-magic-band-completed.892800/

2013 Trip Report: http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/completed-this-is-autism-when-you-add-a-little-pixie-dust.873100/

Usually, the most challenging part of planning our trip is taking into consideration Hope’s diagnosis of Autism. From the plane ride to the hotel room to the crowds in the park and the ride experiences, I spend a lot of time strategizing on what will help to make the most magical time for us - as well as for the people who are in close proximity to us!

But this year brings new challenges. First, Julia is now a teenager. I’ve heard from a lot of people that trips to Disney change as kids get older and usually not for the better. I am so scared that Julia will be bored or not be too immersed in the magic of it all. So I am trying to think of some new things for us to do to keep her “locked in” Disney Magic.

And then there’s my new diet. A few months back, I started a Gluten Free diet. I do not have Celiac, but I wasn’t feeling so great and I think all the stress in our lives was taking a toll on me. So a few people said I should give going GF a try – and I have to admit I started to feel better and get a lot of energy back. So I’m trying to figure out how eating GF at Disney will be. I will admit I am NOT happy about forgoing the dessert at Ohanna’ nor the pretzel bread at Germany nor Pooh's Puffed French Toast. And of course, Ross is certain that my dietary restrictions will add unwanted drama to our adventure.

Drama?

Us?

No…Not our family…

LisaBelle

So sorry to hear about your very troubling year. You definitely need some pixie dust. My son is 19 and my daughter is 15. They were 8 and 4 on their first trip to WDW. They still love it! In fact we were there last summer and they each brought a friend along. We all had a great time! Sending pixie dust your way!

FlaggNL

Yes - we do have a history with Disney! It was actually a tragedy that brought us there in 2008 - our family needed a healing place to "restart life" and Disney continues to be that for us. So I would say Disney brings positive vibes for all of us! So glad to hear that Sacha is 18 and still loves to travel with the parental unit - hope that remains for our family too. Congratulations on your 2 future trips! Thanks for following along!

I totally agree with the positive vibes! That's exactly what Disney brings us! And Sacha is 18 now, but I can imagine that in the future trips to WDW or DLP she will be joining us... maybe alone and if someday a bf will be there he also will join us to thw Disney parks! And will keep following along :)

Figment Forever

Original Poster

Figment Forever

Original Poster
So sorry to hear about your very troubling year. You definitely need some pixie dust. My son is 19 and my daughter is 15. They were 8 and 4 on their first trip to WDW. They still love it! In fact we were there last summer and they each brought a friend along. We all had a great time! Sending pixie dust your way!

Thanks so much! It's nice to hear that older kids can still enjoy the magic with their parents. I was getting a little nervous, but everyone here is making me feel much better!

coachwnh

WOW - It all looks amazing! Thanks for sharing. I guess I don't have anything to worry about. lol How about counter service locations - any favorites there? My family likes Cosmic Rays, Pinocchio Village Haus, Pizza Planet & Pizzafari.

Thanks again!!
Nothing to worry about at CS either. Just tell the CM before you order that you have an allergy to gluten and they will take care of everything.

Figment Forever

Original Poster
IMG_6649.JPG

Oh my... Where has the time gone? I feel totally unprepared and NOT ready!

I think I have some catching up to do...

March 22 2015 081.JPG

When I sat down to do our dining reservations, I booked for most of the same restaurants. As a family, we do not like change so its hard to switch around from our favorites.

This is usually the one time of year when I get boost of crazy organizational skills and break out my charts and old schedules. I had the operating hours for the parks and had our park schedule so with plan in hand, I woke up at 5AM, made an extra strong cup of coffee and waited for the Disney website to be up and running. At 6AM, I was ready to go.

March 22 2015 076.JPG

By 7AM, I had all our picks. We booked:

1900 Park Fare (Dinner)

Play N Dine (Lunch)

O’Hanna (Dinner)

Norway (Breakfast)

Garden Grill (Dinner)

Chef Mickey’s (Breakfast)

Germany (Lunch)

France (Dinner) *NEW

50’s Prime Time (Lunch) *NEW

Cinderella’s Castle (Breakfast)

And of course...

March 22 2015 077.JPG

I didn’t really want the Cinderella’s Castle ADR. As much as I think Hope would LOVE eating in the castle, I just can not justify the cost! Maybe I’ll change my mind one day...

So why did I make the ADR? I really wanted to get into the park early that morning and I knew if i had the ADR - we could get in. Of course it would mean canceling two of our other sit downs but maybe it would be worth it. I had heard that BOG was going to try out breakfast so I was hoping that I could swap ADR’s if that ever happened.

We are also getting a treat from my parents... They gave me money to purchase tickets for Hoop Dee Doo Review for Julia’s birthday! So I made reservations for category 1 at a 6:15 showing. We are all very excited!

Now on the subject of birthdays... Ross and I are having a difference of opinions about Disney Birthdays. I have decided that the girls can celebrate their “Disney” Birthday. For Julia, it is the day we go to HDDR - since that was her birthday present. In Hope’s case, last year was the first year she “understood” the whole birthday thing - so how awesome would it be to celebrate a “Disney” birthday there? (Especially since she has ZERO shot of every being in Disney on her real birthday which is a few days away from Christmas.) When I asked her where she wanted to celebrate her birthday, she said, “Chef Mickey’s”. I almost fell on the floor - non-scripting language is just emerging in Hope - so that was so cool that she answered me! Therefore the day we go to Chef Mickey’s will be declared her “Disney” birthday!

Ross thinks I am totally insane and have no business to celebrate when it’a not really their birthday. I told him he is living up to his “Grumpy” self and he would have to deal with my craziness!

Once my Dining Reservations were set, I began the task of making Fast Passes. I can’t get use to this. While I enjoy making dining ADR’s, the excitement isn’t there for Fast Passes I knew I was going for 7DMT for every day in MK - but it’s so hard to plan the rest.

Somewhere between the time of making dining reservations and Fast Passes that my father-in-law started to have some health issues. No Way! The man never had a heart problem in his life and now, we were back to hospital hopping!!

It was during one hospital visit that he had fallen asleep and I was on Facebook when an alert popped up. They were taking reservations for BOG breakfast! I snuck out into the hallway and got on the phone. Apparently, the area of the hospital I was in didn’t have the greatest reception. Finally I got through and YES - I got an ADR for our departing morning & I canceled Cinderella's Castle.

Unfortunately, I guess my father-in-law decided he missed my mother-in-law too much. They were married for 63 years! So I suppose that being separated from her for almost 6 months was enough. He passed away in late July. It was a tough one - we were barley getting over losing Grandma Dely and now we had to deal with the loss of Po.

But we know they are forever together.

IMG_5823.JPG

Disney World... We need some magic!!!

smk

So sorry for your losses. I cannot imagine what it feels like to lose both parents in one year. However, they are together as they always were.

It seems strange to think of but I really hope your precious family can put the sadness aside and continue to have a happy place in WDW. I will be thinking about you, we normally go at the time you are going but not this year, too many bills to pay! So, I am counting on reading yet another great trip report!

fractal

Sorry for your loss - great picture of the two of them.

Dinner plans looks great. We did Hoop De-Do in 2011 and loved it. If you like lots of corny jokes and sing-along music you'll have a great time!

Amy Denise

We will arrive on property on the 12th, but we are having a couple of resort only days first...our first day in the parks is Tuesday the 15th.

Can't wait to hear how the trip goes but my 20 year old son & I will be there enjoying the "World" with you. We arrive on the 16th. I'll keep my eyes peeled for people I might recognize & will be sure to wish the girls a very happy Disney Birthday. lol My son will be 21 three weeks after our trip so this is sort of his birthday trip as well.

Figment Forever

Original Poster
So sorry for your losses. I cannot imagine what it feels like to lose both parents in one year. However, they are together as they always were.

It seems strange to think of but I really hope your precious family can put the sadness aside and continue to have a happy place in WDW. I will be thinking about you, we normally go at the time you are going but not this year, too many bills to pay! So, I am counting on reading yet another great trip report!

Thank you - it's been a tough time. We are really looking forward to an "escape" in WDW! Hope your family gets to return soon!

Figment Forever

Original Poster
Sorry for your loss - great picture of the two of them.

Dinner plans looks great. We did Hoop De-Do in 2011 and loved it. If you like lots of corny jokes and sing-along music you'll have a great time!

Thanks so much - hard to believe that picture was taken just last Thanksgiving.

Julia is so excited for HDDR - yes we are a family that enjoys corny jokes. Thanks for reading!

Figment Forever

Original Poster
Can't wait to hear how the trip goes but my 20 year old son & I will be there enjoying the "World" with you. We arrive on the 16th. I'll keep my eyes peeled for people I might recognize & will be sure to wish the girls a very happy Disney Birthday. lol My son will be 21 three weeks after our trip so this is sort of his birthday trip as well.

Thanks for reading! Have a magical time! Yes - please say hi if you see us! Happy Birthday to your son!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom