August 21 Solar Eclipse

TikiTorch

Original Poster
Unfortunately, I can see a guest(s) being stupid, staring at the eclipse for an extended period of time, sustaining eye damage, and suing Disney because it happened on property...
There will
Just to clarify, Florida will not experience a total eclipse, only a partial.

Still a cool site, but a total eclipse completely blocks the sun out.

That won't happen over WDW until the 2045.
Yes! Totality is the big show. My wife and I will be in our mid-60s in 2045. If God is good enough and we can be at WDW on that day we are already planning on it. There will be about 6 minutes of total darkness! Incredible.

Creathir

There will

Yes! Totality is the big show. My wife and I will be in our mid-60s in 2045. If God is good enough and we can be at WDW on that day we are already planning on it. There will be about 6 minutes of total darkness! Incredible.

My wife and I will be in our early sixties.
I plan on being there as well.

The family DVC points expire in 2057, so I know we'll have accommodations!

KikoKea

The eclipse is just days after we finally leave Hawaii and move back to the mainland. We were going to be in SC with family, but happily it worked out that DH and I can spend a week at WDW celebrating his retirement and easing ourselves back into the real world. (Hawaii is a world unto itself- seriously) I'm sad to miss the total eclipse (although I saw one as a kid) but...we really need that week in the bubble!

Disneymadhouse

We are arriving in Florida on 21st August from the UK, so we won't see this years!
But, wow I just looked at the map for August 12th 2045. Florida is the place to be for that event! I hope DH and I will still be able to travel to WDW as we'll be in our late 60's by then!

Claire :)

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
There are no safe eclipse viewing glasses. That includes welder goggles. Only safe way for extended viewing is to use the pin hole method with a pinhole in a piece of card stock and projecting onto a piece of paper.

NASA disagrees:

Looking directly at the sun is unsafe except during the brief total phase of a solar eclipse (“totality”), when the moon entirely blocks the sun’s bright face, which will happen only within the narrow path of totality (https://go.nasa.gov/2pC0lhe).

safety_3.JPG

The only safe way to look directly at the uneclipsed or partially eclipsed sun is through special-purpose solar filters, such as “eclipse glasses” (example shown at left) or hand-held solar viewers. Homemade filters or ordinary sunglasses, even very dark ones, are not safe for looking at the sun. To date four manufacturers have certified that their eclipse glasses and handheld solar viewers meet the ISO 12312-2 international standard for such products: Rainbow Symphony, American Paper Optics, Thousand Oaks Optical, and TSE 17.​

TikiTorch

Original Poster
NASA disagrees:

Looking directly at the sun is unsafe except during the brief total phase of a solar eclipse (“totality”), when the moon entirely blocks the sun’s bright face, which will happen only within the narrow path of totality (https://go.nasa.gov/2pC0lhe).

safety_3.JPG

The only safe way to look directly at the uneclipsed or partially eclipsed sun is through special-purpose solar filters, such as “eclipse glasses” (example shown at left) or hand-held solar viewers. Homemade filters or ordinary sunglasses, even very dark ones, are not safe for looking at the sun. To date four manufacturers have certified that their eclipse glasses and handheld solar viewers meet the ISO 12312-2 international standard for such products: Rainbow Symphony, American Paper Optics, Thousand Oaks Optical, and TSE 17.​
Thanks for posting this!

Nemo14

We'll be flying from Seattle to Baltimore that day - looks like we won't be crossing the lines of totality, but it still could be interesting. Our daughter's baby is due on the 24th, and they say that full moon effects deliveries, so who knows!

I am Timmy

NASA disagrees:

safety_3.JPG

Thanks for all the manufacturers! I'm going to order a ten pack, just in case, and give a few to my kids' friends. Knowing them they would probably look. They are young adults, so they're invincible.

TikiTorch

Original Poster
Any word on viewing parties for this? Any suggestions for a good spot? Rooftop?
I haven't seen anything about advertised viewing locations in WDW. It will only be a partial eclipse in Florida, so most folks will be going about their day as if it were any other day, more than likely. But if you've got some safe eclipse glasses in your pocket, you'll be able to view the eclipse in action from any spot in open sunshine.

John park hopper

I live in Mcclellanville SC and we are in the direct path, we will have 2 min and 33 secs of total eclipse. will have t check out getting some certified solar glasses. Glad I checkd this as my welding helmit won't do

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
NASA disagrees:

safety_3.JPG

A

A shade 14 welding filter is also sufficient if you have a welding helmet or goggles. If you have oxy-acetylene goggles you need a new filter because most gas goggles are shade 5-7

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom