Attraction resurrection?

Phroobar

Original Poster
Out of all the attractions and shows that have disappeared from the Disneyland Resort which would you bring back? Any improvements to it?

Personally I would love to see the Hawaiian fire dancers return. I would also like to see the motor boats return in the form of Disney Sea's Aquatopia ride.

dweezil78

Being a sucker for old Tomorrowland and early EPCOT Center attractions, I'd have to go with Adventure Thru Inner Space. I didn't make it out to DL until 2000 and it was obviously long gone by then. It's one of the few attractions that is very poorly documented as well as it was dark and rather abstract-y inside with basically no decent ride-thru vids available (aside from the 3D animated recreation which is pretty cool!). It's awkward tourism promoting cousin on the other coast, If You Had Wings, was always one of my favorites as a kid.

D

Deleted member 107043

It's awkward tourism promoting cousin on the other coast, If You Had Wings, was always one of my favorites as a kid.

I liked the If You Had Wings experience better, but ATIS seems to get more recognition, perhaps because of the sci-fi nature of the ride. I hate to break it to you, but it was really hokey, and there was zero impression of shrinking. To top it off the effects weren't impressive at all, and mostly consisted of oversized sets and massive projection screens. It was all very psychedelic and confusing, and as kids visiting DL every summer we never really understood what the ride was supposed to represent until we got older. The best thing about the ride was the giant AA eye looking at you through a microscope from above and the Monsanto Rain Lamp at the exit.

Resize

Body Wars, which originally was supposed to "shrink" guests and take them on a trip through the human body, pulled off this gimmick much more convincingly imo.

If I were to bring back one attraction it would probably be the Golden Horseshoe Revue, and the only thing I'd change would be beer on tap at the bar!

Curious Constance

I liked the If You Had Wings experience better, but ATIS seems to get more recognition, perhaps because of the sci-fi nature of the ride. I hate to break it to you, but it was really hokey, and there was zero impression of shrinking. To top it off the effects weren't impressive at all, and mostly consisted of oversized sets and massive projection screens. It was all very psychedelic and confusing, and as kids visiting DL every summer we never really understood what the ride was supposed to represent until we got older. The best thing about the ride was the giant AA eye looking at you through a microscope from above and the Monsanto Rain Lamp at the exit.

Resize

Body Wars, which originally was supposed to "shrink" guests and take them on a trip through the human body, pulled off this gimmick much more convincingly imo.

If I were to bring back one attraction it would probably be the Golden Horseshoe Revue, and the only thing I'd change would be beer on tap at the bar!
I didn't know you liked the Golden Horseshoe Review, Hans!

dweezil78

Oh I'm sure it was hokey as hell -- but I would've loved it nonetheless, probably because of it! I've never wanted to ride it because of the effect or what it tried to be, but rather what it was. It was the original omnimover attraction oozing with trippy 60s-ness (An oil rain lamp at the exit?? C'mon!), a pre-ghost host Paul Frees narration, and a Sherman Brothers tune too. I bet it even had an awesome old building smell too! :D

As a runner up to ATIS, my second pick would be the DL version of the Carousel of Progress. The idea of going up a speed ramp for the final act and seeing the full Progress City (not just the little piece of it I've grown up with) is the stuff of dreams for me. Plus would have loved to have seen the final scene before it which is obviously different in its current (and even former) incarnation at WDW.

D

Deleted member 107043

I know it wasn't popular with some people, but Rocket Rods was one of my favorite rides at the park while it lasted. Zipping along that elevated track was quite a thrill, especially if you sat in front. The cars were cool and the tech than ran them was more advanced than the Peoplemover.

dweezil78

I know it wasn't popular with some people, but Rocket Rods was one of my favorite rides at the park while it lasted. Zipping along that elevated track was quite a thrill, especially if you sat in front. The cars were cool and the tech than ran them was more advanced than the Peoplemover.

It's still mindblowing to me that they'd pour so much $$$ into not just building a new attraction, but in getting rid of a beloved one, and then simply throw their hands up in defeat when the thing didn't work properly, leaving it to collect dust and rot. :/

D

Deleted member 107043

It really is something, isn't it? To this day Disney is still dealing with the fan fallout from the massive failure of TL and the tepid public response to DCA 1.0. Everyone freaks out now when a change is announced, mostly because those two disasters are stuck in people's minds.

D

Deleted member 107043

I agree. The park is so much more busy than it was 20 years ago, and the last few times I visited the planters and track supports beneath the Peoplemover were a big contributor to the bottlenecking between Star Tours, Buzz, and the Astro Orbiter (not to mention the 5,000 strollers crammed under there too). That area of the park has terrible traffic flow on a busy day.

Stevek

The Peoplemover would be my first choice. As much as enjoyed ATIS as a kid, I doubt it would play well with today's audience. Skyway, CircleVision, an updated version of America Sings (try rationalizing that being in TL with today's internet), Rockets back up high where they belong...those would be my other choices. And for the sake of the children, bring back Space Mist and Twinkies!

D

Deleted member 107043

Rockets back up high where they belong...

OMG, yes.

Anyone else notice how most of the things we want from the past are in Tomorrowland? The rest of the park hasn't changed much over the past 30 years or so.

Stevek

OMG, yes.

Anyone else notice how most of the things we want from the past are in Tomorrowland? The rest of the park hasn't changed much over the past 30 years or so.
I think it's changed quite a bit but they have been positive and well integrated into the look and feel of the park. That being said, nothing so significant as a complete redo of a land like they tried with Tland. Odd that a certain fan site would make you think that every change has been dramatic and terrible.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom