Attraction Poster Contest #4 - Tower of Terror

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhotoDave219

Well, 2 weeks later its done. And less creepy then it was.

All images in there were actualoly taken by me.... no borrowing of images. In fact, everything including the gates (except for the moon) was taken in the state of florida. Heh.

Attachments

• posterfinal2.jpg
    posterfinal2.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 189

JLW11Hi

Originally posted by PhotoDave219

All images in there were actualoly taken by me.... no borrowing of images. In fact, everything including the gates (except for the moon) was taken in the state of florida. Heh.

:D :lol: That is great, Dave! I love the characters!

The reds are a really awesome touch!

ACE

Originally posted by PhotoDave219

OK let me start by saying, I really like your entry, especially the ghostly characters. But, why is it that a B&W version of "artwork" not a photo caused a ruckus but a photo of the building that has been colored red is ok?

It's not just your entry, there are actually quite a few that still "look" like a photograph, IMO, that have been allowed to stay in the competition.

I personally don't care if folks use photos or where they got them from, but I didn't set the "standards" for this contest. I just like seeing everyone's interpretations of the subject.

:wave: ACE

Wannabe Walt

Here is my new entry. It replaces my other one, I hope you like this one better.

Attachments

• tower of terror2.jpg
    tower of terror2.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 164

Main Street USA

Original Poster
ACE,

I agree, there are several borderline interpretations of the tower in many of these entries. As I said before, once I knew that your original was indeed artwork, I said it was fine. It was such a good piece of artwork, however, that it fooled me into thinking it was photograph. But, since it wasn't, it's allowed.

PhotoDave's tower in particular looks to me like a detailed painting of the tower, rather than a picture. I know it isn't, but whatever filters or alterations he used worked very well.

Others have just slapped a filter on it, which to me should be unacceptable, but because of time constraints and people not being real familiar with other ways to take away the photo look, I allow them.

I dunno, everything you've submitted so far has been acceptable.

I already had my rant on WHY this rule is in place. I still don't think it's a hard rule to understand. And I guess the key to getting it is understanding that it has to be somone's judgement call, and since I'm sort of in charge of running these contests, it has to be my opinion that decides it. If I let others decide as well, things become unfair.

So, assume all of the entries are acceptable unless I say otherwise. I've seen them all so far, and some are borderline, but they're all getting in.

ACE

Originally posted by Main Street USA
ACE,

I agree, there are several borderline interpretations of the tower in many of these entries. As I said before, once I knew that your original was indeed artwork, I said it was fine. It was such a good piece of artwork, however, that it fooled me into thinking it was photograph. But, since it wasn't, it's allowed.

PhotoDave's tower in particular looks to me like a detailed painting of the tower, rather than a picture. I know it isn't, but whatever filters or alterations he used worked very well.

Others have just slapped a filter on it, which to me should be unacceptable, but because of time constraints and people not being real familiar with other ways to take away the photo look, I allow them.

I dunno, everything you've submitted so far has been acceptable.

I already had my rant on WHY this rule is in place. I still don't think it's a hard rule to understand. And I guess the key to getting it is understanding that it has to be somone's judgement call, and since I'm sort of in charge of running these contests, it has to be my opinion that decides it. If I let others decide as well, things become unfair.

So, assume all of the entries are acceptable unless I say otherwise. I've seen them all so far, and some are borderline, but they're all getting in.

Hey Zac,
It's cool. I know you said my first one was OK, but I choose to change it (twice) in keeping with the spirit of the contest. I personally like the concept of my last one better even though I couldn't make it look quite the way I had envisioned. I also agree with the rules for this contest, now that I understand the concept.

I was just venting a little because some folks were very vocal about "how it should be done" but their entries "don't appear" to be following the same rules.

:wave: ACE

P.S. I also found out how difficult Photoshop can be. :lol: You're right it's not a magic wand by a long shot.

P.S.S. PhotoDave, Please don't be mad with me. I really didn't mean to come across like I had a problem with you, it's just yours was the last entry posted, when I decided to say something. I say the heck with the rules! Let's have a mutiny! We can all be pirates! :lol:

PhotoDave219

Originally posted by ACE

P.S.S. PhotoDave, Please don't be mad with me. I really didn't mean to come across like I had a problem with you, it's just yours was the last entry posted, when I decided to say something. I say the heck with the rules! Let's have a mutiny! We can all be pirates! :lol:

Were devils and blacksheep and really bad eggs...

Yo Ho, Yo Ho a pirates life for me.....

Arrrgh! Shame i cannot post me uncompressed jpeg or me full resolution of de poster. It looses much of de quality n resolution. Savy?

NowInc

..personally..if people sitll think the rules are sketchy...then I will propse the idea of tightening them up a bit..which means NO PHOTOS AT ALL....after all..thats what a ride poster is...and that means it would have to be hand drawn or traced....which...in this contest..i only see 4 or 5 that fall into this category.

I dont mean to sound rude or anything, but everyone please mellow out....these contests are currently, and will always be about FUN...bottom line. Dont take it too seriously.

SirNim

Originally posted by NowInc
..personally..if people sitll think the rules are sketchy...then I will propse the idea of tightening them up a bit..which means NO PHOTOS AT ALL....after all..thats what a ride poster is...and that means it would have to be hand drawn or traced....which...in this contest..i only see 4 or 5 that fall into this category.

I dont mean to sound rude or anything, but everyone please mellow out....these contests are currently, and will always be about FUN...bottom line. Dont take it too seriously.
Not a bad idea... Get rid of "visible" photographs all together...

But of course, if that rule was changed, these poster contests would have a noticeable drop in the number of entries... At least IMHO... :)

NowInc

Originally posted by SirNim
Not a bad idea... Get rid of "visible" photographs all together...

But of course, if that rule was changed, these poster contests would have a noticeable drop in the number of entries... At least IMHO... :)

Thats acutally why we dropped the rule in the first place ;)

ACE

Made some minor changes. Probably nothing anyone would notice but you know how it is. If it's your own work you see all the flaws. :lol:

Attachments

• final.jpg
    final.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 172
Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom