Attendance drop in the parks... I wonder why

Ralphlaw

And another thread that the same group of people have derailed. Please stop. There may not be anything that specifically states new posters cannot express an opinion - in fact they are welcome to do so. But there are rules against personal attacks, continual off topic posts (although a little leeway is allowed), having multiple accounts, and ignoring moderator decisions. I shouldn't have to go into each and every thread to give the same group the same warning.

I think the problem is that this is one of the most open-ended threads ever. Why is attendance (allegedly) dropping? The answers can go in multiple directions and down dozens of paths. And it has. Why not just start a thread with, "What's wrong with this place anyway?" Or "What's really going on?" Or "Let's have some open-ended complaints." Or even, "What things are good?" Each of these would also end up going in all sorts of directions.

I'd theorize that at least 80% of the posts do conceivably relate back to the opening question. That question is just too broad to allow for pinpoint discussion. Meanwhile, I find it fascinating, although the personal attacks, as always, go over the top.

Keep up the good work.

L.C. Clench

Of course no answer as to why but it was announced on the quarterly earnings report that attendance was down another 5% and of course the answer was to raise prices again.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
Of course no answer as to why but it was announced on the quarterly earnings report that attendance was down another 5% and of course the answer was to raise prices again.

Attendance is down 5% yet the parks feel busier than ever. They've been going on an active campaign to try to please pass holders, I think many abandoned ship last year when Iger treated us like second class citizens. They haven't gone off of the price increase cliff yet at WDPRO so they'll keep driving attendance down with ticket price increases because that helps reduce operating expenses and continue to increase consumer goods and food prices to offset until consumer demand drops rapidly.

SorcererMC

I think the 5% decline in attendance is for all of the parks - domestic and international, but I could be wrong about that. It's true that their comments about attendance are usually vague, but the drop in attendance was partially explained by -

Iger's comments: [Year over Year ] Comparability due to shift in timing of holiday, Hurricane Matthew, Disneyland 60th, est. impact of ~4%.

Figment4President

I find this post quite interesting. Family and I have gone to WDW in the beginning of January for the last several years because - traditionally it is a very slow time and with a small daughter it definitely helps not standing in 60 minute lines. This year was BY FAR - the busiest we have ever seen it in January. There was regularly 30+ minute wait times for rides that you can normally walk on during this time of year. With that being said, we were there when the new Festival of Arts was debuted which could have attributed to the crowds at Epcot. Either way, we still had a great time and the lines were definitely still better than other times. Can't wait for our September trip.

BigRedDad

It was very clear in the earnings report that they will continue to increase prices to cover losses elsewhere. As they continue to increase prices, they are segmenting the Have's and Have-not's even further. We are fortunate enough to still be able to afford to go. However, we will be thinking long and hard after our APs are done.

Ralphlaw

Off topic? Perhaps, but my USAToday app has a big photo spread on new Disney stuff. IMO, pretty cool. I fully believe any near-term drop in attendance is likely to shoot right back up once improvements are made. All four parks were featured, plus California Adventure with that controversial makeover of Tower of Terror, which actually looks pretty cool as well. We'll see how all of it ends up.

OGMickey

I agree with everyone else on here about their views on why the park attendance has gone down, but to me personally i haven't noticed the drop. I try to go at least twice a year and each time i'm there it seems more crowded than the last. I would love to see the attendance statistics on visitor retention vs first time families. If the attendance drop is equated to past guests (that visit at least once a year) not returning vs first time guest not wanting to come, it makes it easier to focus blame. With just making a blanket statement about attendance being down, it makes it near impossible to speculate.

Bandini

It was very clear in the earnings report that they will continue to increase prices to cover losses elsewhere. As they continue to increase prices, they are segmenting the Have's and Have-not's even further. We are fortunate enough to still be able to afford to go. However, we will be thinking long and hard after our APs are done.
Disney hasn't priced us out of a vacation. But when I compare the price and quality of a WDW vacation vs the price and quality of other vacation destinations, WDW has lost out.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
As they continue to increase prices, they are segmenting the Have's and Have-not's even further.
That's the plan. Disney's goal is to make it so that me, @21stamps and @LuvtheGoof are the only ones in the parks, paying $1 million per night for DVC high rises at the Grand Floridian.

The plan was created by Steve Bannon and the Koch brothers at a birthday party for Meryl Streep at George Soros' house.

Ralphlaw

In my experience, a business does not increase prices in a profitable area to offset losses in unprofitable areas. I see businesses constantly trying to maximize profits wherever possible. I do not believe that Disney truly is shooting up WDW prices because other areas of the business, like Shanghai and Paris, need a subsidy. Yeah, someone somewhere may say that, but I don't buy it.

The price increases seem to be a simple function of supply and demand. Demand for a WDW and DL vacation is huge, but the supply of space at the domestic parks is limited. In fact, most of us seem to think that the parks are far too crowded, thus exceeding the comfortable supply of personal space and reasonable lines for a nice vacation. Solution: Scale down the demand. How? Raise prices--duh?. Millions of people will still visit WDW every year--tens of thousands per day. Now, each one just became slightly more profitable. And on average, each one is probably better able to clunk down big money for over-priced food and other extras.

Let's also not forget that WDW apparently had a scaled system in place when it first opened. E Tickets were the biggest draw for the greatest rides, and they were rationed out. I assume people with more money could get more E Tickets, and thus a tiered system was probably established early on. Now, the rationing is done in other ways, with pre-planning on FP+ and the price of admission winnowing down the crowds for the top rides and the overall crowds in the parks. The days of a great Disney vacation for everyone's budget are gone for now. They were perhaps in vogue when Studios and Animal Kingdom were built in the late 80's and 90's, but those parks don't need filling like they used to. And the end of the Great Recession means that price cuts are not needed to fill the place.

Therefore, be happy that the recession is over. Try not to be grumpy that enhanced prosperity now makes your vacation more expensive. And, finally, check out that USAToday photo display, If you're like me, it will get you excited for the next trip, whenever and however that may occur.

21stamps

That's the plan. Disney's goal is to make it so that me, @21stamps and @LuvtheGoof are the only ones in the parks, paying $1 million per night for DVC high rises at the Grand Floridian.

The plan was created by Steve Bannon and the Koch brothers at a birthday party for Meryl Streep at George Soros' house.

Woot woot!! Party in an empty park! I'll bring the pixie dust, you bring the champers, luv the goof can bring the caviar.

Just don't invite Meryl and George, we've had some recent disagreements over current events...

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
Woot woot!! Party in an empty park! I'll bring the pixie dust, you bring the champers, luv the goof can bring the caviar.

Just don't invite Meryl and George, we've had some recent disagreements over current events...

Hate to crowd you all out, but if we're only talking $1 million per night I'm not out of the game. I'll see you there, and if it isn't being refurbished I'll see if I can bring the dessert party.

21stamps

In my experience, a business does not increase prices in a profitable area to offset losses in unprofitable areas. I see businesses constantly trying to maximize profits wherever possible. I do not believe that Disney truly is shooting up WDW prices because other areas of the business, like Shanghai and Paris, need a subsidy. Yeah, someone somewhere may say that, but I don't buy it.

The price increases seem to be a simple function of supply and demand. Demand for a WDW and DL vacation is huge, but the supply of space at the domestic parks is limited. In fact, most of us seem to think that the parks are far too crowded, thus exceeding the comfortable supply of personal space and reasonable lines for a nice vacation. Solution: Scale down the demand. How? Raise prices--duh?. Millions of people will still visit WDW every year--tens of thousands per day. Now, each one just became slightly more profitable. And on average, each one is probably better able to clunk down big money for over-priced food and other extras.

Let's also not forget that WDW apparently had a scaled system in place when it first opened. E Tickets were the biggest draw for the greatest rides, and they were rationed out. I assume people with more money could get more E Tickets, and thus a tiered system was probably established early on. Now, the rationing is done in other ways, with pre-planning on FP+ and the price of admission winnowing down the crowds for the top rides and the overall crowds in the parks. The days of a great Disney vacation for everyone's budget are gone for now. They were perhaps in vogue when Studios and Animal Kingdom were built in the late 80's and 90's, but those parks don't need filling like they used to. And the end of the Great Recession means that price cuts are not needed to fill the place.

Therefore, be happy that the recession is over. Try not to be grumpy that enhanced prosperity now makes your vacation more expensive. And, finally, check out that USAToday photo display, If you're like me, it will get you excited for the next trip, whenever and however that may occur.

I love everything about this post.

Disneyhead'71

Or they could have kept up with demand by expanding capacity. They chose not to do that and instead are just telling people to spend their money elsewhere.

rainarusnak

I've been visiting WDW since 1977. I witnessed the tears in my father's eyes the first time he saw Cinderella's castle. Can we say "Clark Griswold"? That's my father. Throughout the years, we have enjoyed so many vacations at WDW and the memories we have are priceless. Back then, WDW held a special type of magic that could not be experienced anywhere else. Even when the years came upon us, telling us that we were no longer children, WDW kept pulling us back and telling us it was still OK to believe in magic. Sadly, within the past several years, this magic does seem to have lost its pull - and I agree with just about everything listed on this forum as to the reasons why. BUT - as Disney has always taught me about believing - I've yet to give up completely on WDW. This past November, my father and I (just the two of us) ages 73 and 41, decided to spend three days at WDW. (Sadly, due to finances, the week-long WDW vacations are a thing of the past.) We had such a wonderful time. The crowds were not so overbearing and we were able to experience just about everything. We ate ice cream - sometimes twice a day! I felt that the magic did return - even for just a moment. What I did not know was that my father was sick...as he kept a smile on his face the whole time. For so many people, WDW will always have a special meaning and it can be found in the smallest and simplest areas of WDW - even in a Mickey Mouse Premium Ice Cream Bar. What I do hope is that Disney understands this, and keeps this as their priority for so many memory-making Walt Disney World vacations for the next generation.

21stamps

I've been visiting WDW since 1977. I witnessed the tears in my father's eyes the first time he saw Cinderella's castle. Can we say "Clark Griswold"? That's my father. Throughout the years, we have enjoyed so many vacations at WDW and the memories we have are priceless. Back then, WDW held a special type of magic that could not be experienced anywhere else. Even when the years came upon us, telling us that we were no longer children, WDW kept pulling us back and telling us it was still OK to believe in magic. Sadly, within the past several years, this magic does seem to have lost its pull - and I agree with just about everything listed on this forum as to the reasons why. BUT - as Disney has always taught me about believing - I've yet to give up completely on WDW. This past November, my father and I (just the two of us) ages 73 and 41, decided to spend three days at WDW. (Sadly, due to finances, the week-long WDW vacations are a thing of the past.) We had such a wonderful time. The crowds were not so overbearing and we were able to experience just about everything. We ate ice cream - sometimes twice a day! I felt that the magic did return - even for just a moment. What I did not know was that my father was sick...as he kept a smile on his face the whole time. For so many people, WDW will always have a special meaning and it can be found in the smallest and simplest areas of WDW - even in a Mickey Mouse Premium Ice Cream Bar. What I do hope is that Disney understands this, and keeps this as their priority for so many memory-making Walt Disney World vacations for the next generation.
That was beautiful. I agree.
Thanks for sharing!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom