At what age to start bringing the kids?

mamabunker

I would say don't go until they're out of diapers and can eat reasonably well. Why take a kid who is going to need to be hand feed and crapping up their diapers every few hours??? I wouldn't do it, it's just a pain in the ***. When the kids are at the diaper stage I see no point at all taking them any where for the most part because it will always be the same, eating, pooping, sleeping, eating, pooping, sleeping. You have to carry around a ton of supplies with you and they'll be just as happy going to any where with movement and colors. Local mall is probably just as exciting as WDW for a 2 year old.

I would say 4 years old would be my cut off and if you have multiple cchildren remember you can't ignore the rest for the baby or you're setting yourself up for hate from the older kids most likely.

I disagree. A child in diapers is easier to deal with than a very young child who is potty trained, especially one who waits too long to tell you that she's gotta go. Mad dashes to the nearest restroom, which may or may not have a line, are not fun. Neither is getting out of a line that you've been waiting in for a kid who can't wait any longer.

PREMiERdrum

We took our daughter for her first trip at 13 months, and got her first haircut at the Magic Kingdom's Harmony Barber Shop:
142.jpg

140.jpg

Her 2nd trip was 2 months after her 2nd birthday, and her 3rd trip is coming up in 2 weeks, just one month after her 3rd birthday.

Our son's first trip will be in 2 weeks as well, and he will have just turned 9 months old.

If you take things at their pace, you'll have a great time. There's no use trying to commando from attraction to attraction. The draw for kids that age is bigger than any single ride: It's the sights, sounds, smells, and tastes all around them that get them interested. Seeing it all through their eyes for the first time is quite magical.

Weather_Lady

It's a very personal decision, based on your personal vacation preferences and the particulars of your child.

We put off our first WDW vacation until the kids had been potty-trained for a year. It just made everything easier -- and had the unexpected result of them both being tall enough to enjoy almost any attraction.

StarWarsGirl

I was 4 1/2 months old. For me, it was non negotiable. I was going. My mom's parents didn't speak to us, they weren't about to leave me with my dad's mother, and there's no one else that they would trust. So I was just along for the ride. Same deal with my brother. I mean, they didn't have to buy an airfare ticket, they didn't have to buy a pass, so I didn't cost them anything. They just used rider switch to get on the rides. It was the same deal when my brother was born.

I went with them on all of their trips. In fact, some of my first memories are from Disney when I was three or four years old. I remember being afraid of Eeyore. I remember the playgrounds. It sure beats my first memory from when I was 2 and had the flu. :( Next January, I'll be going by myself two weeks before they go because I'll have to be in school when they go. It's gonna be tough.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I first took my kid at 4 nearly 5 years old (two months shy). It was great. She wasn't quite old enough to walk the parks herself, so she got a lot of Daddy Shoulder time (I didn't need a stroller though), but she still did a fair amount of walking.

She was old enough to be fully comfortable with potty training, and knew when she needed to go and could warn me in advance (though it did mean we had to back out of a few attractions a few times, but that's ok).

She was old enough to enjoy pretty much everything, and was even tall enough for every ride on the main Parks except Kali Rapids and Rockin' Roller Coaster.

It was a blast.

gccgrad1996

I really think every child is different. I have had wonderful experiences with my three children at ages 3, 13 months, and 15 months on their first trips. We took our oldest daughter for the first time when she had just turned 3. We had a wonderful time and she enjoyed everything from the rides to the characters. She was a very easy little girl and never gave us a problem while we were there. That is why we tried it again with her sister, 2 years later. My oldest was almost 5 and my younger daughter had just turned one. We figured since she was free, it wouldn't matter if she didn't remember the trip, I would. Some of my most fondest memories of Disney was watching my 1 year old hug and kiss every character she met. She couldn't wait to be with them. Again, my second child was great. She loved every character, loved every ride she went on (she still loves every ride), and loved sitting in her stroller as we pushed her through the parks. After that year we became Disney regulars, going every summer. In 2011 we were blessed with our little surprise our son (my daughters were then 10 and almost 7). Last year we took him for his first trip, he was 15 months old. I was not willing to do the trip with an infant. We drive from PA and it just would have been too long for him and me. I also didn't want to be traveling with all the gear you need with an infant. With him being a little older I didn't need to carry around bottles, burping cloths, or baby food. He had a sippy cup and was eating what we were. This trip with him was amazing, like my daughters he loved every character and ride. The pictures I have of him with Jake from the Neverland Pirates are amazing (my son's name is Jake). The memories I have will last a lifetime. I know he won't remember the trip in years to come, but right now every since coming back one of his favorite things to watch is our video from our trip and he gets so excited when he sees the characters and himself with them. He also loves to take my picture frames down from the wall and look at the pictures of our trip. We are counting down to our next trip in July, and I am so excited to share Disney again with my three kids, ages 12, 9, and 26 months.
I every child is different and every parent. Everyone needs to do some soul searching before that make that decision. Unfortunately, Disney is not cheap and can be very stressful to some.

gccgrad1996

My wife and I have two children (3 year old daughter and 15 month old son). We love our kids to death and miss them dearly when we go away on our adult-only Disney trips (usually for a birthday or anniversary) which begs the question between my wife and I: At what age do we start bringing the kids?

How old were your kids before you started bringing them to Disney? Did you wait for the age where your kids will remember Disney? Or, did you bring them when they started to recognize the characters?

I remember I was 5 years old when I went to Disney for the first time and I remember every time after that. If my parents told me they brought me to Disney when I was 3, I wouldn't have remembered (other than pictures that proved I was at Disney when I was 3).
But you will remember it and those memories are priceless.
We took our oldest DD7 when she was just shy of her first birthday (and she's been back 11 times), and our youngest DD3 was only 8 mos. old (with 6 trips under her belt)! My DH and I looked at it this way:

1. Kids can fly free up until age 2 (sitting on your lap of course) AND they can get into the parks for free up until age 3! Why not take advantage of this while you can? I remember dreading the very first time I had to pay full price for my oldest DD's plane seat:confused: , and how I teared up a little when she scanned her park ticket for the first time:( !

2. We don't care if they can remember it or not: my DH and I have the memories (both good and not so good)! Besides, we took plenty of pictures and videos to show both our children when they're older (possibly for bribary;)).

3. Our girls could begin recalling certain areas, rides, and characters by age 2! Now, it's like a second home to them! And when my youngest DD3 sees a TV commercial for Disney World, I hear, "Mom, can we get on a bus, go to Disney World?"

4. My DH and I were "ready" to take our girls. If you're not mentally up for the challenge yet, that's perfectly O.K.! Every person is different. You know your children and you know yourselves best. But whenever you are ready, have the camera ready, pack extra patience, and slow the pace (it's amazing at what my DH and I have seen and experienced through touring the parks through our DD's eyes!).

Happy travels!!!

I completely agree!! I have the same wonderful and crazy memories with my children when they went for the first time. One was 3 the other two had each just turned one when they went for their first trips. Those trips were for me and my memories, and like you said they are free. Which is why we are returning in July with our 12, 9 and 2 year old. I am going to squeeze one more year our of having a free child and a child. Next year we get hit with paying for a 3 year old and my daughter being 10 and counted as an adult:( .

gobraves

We took our son for his first birthday on xmas day. Didnt miss a beat though you have to accept that you and your spouse have to ride the big rides by yourself unless you bring granparents. We are bringing our now 2 year old for his second trip in may.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
My wife and I have two children (3 year old daughter and 15 month old son). We love our kids to death and miss them dearly when we go away on our adult-only Disney trips (usually for a birthday or anniversary) which begs the question between my wife and I: At what age do we start bringing the kids?

How old were your kids before you started bringing them to Disney? Did you wait for the age where your kids will remember Disney? Or, did you bring them when they started to recognize the characters?

I remember I was 5 years old when I went to Disney for the first time and I remember every time after that. If my parents told me they brought me to Disney when I was 3, I wouldn't have remembered (other than pictures that proved I was at Disney when I was 3).

My older boy went when he was 6 months old. We decided that was wrong, and took the little one when he was 3 months old. Each has been roughly every year (or more often) since. Every trip has given us moments with each kid, no matter what age, that made us very glad we brought them. The younger one is almost 4 years now, and remembers many many moments of his WDW and Disneyland trips.

tare

As soon as they can walk around and are potty trained ( which should be by 1 1/2 yrs) go for it.

75disney

I have been going to Disney since I was 2, my sister since she was 5, and my brother since he was 6 months old. I am now a DIsney nut, my sister works at WDW, and my brother makes love of Disney a criteria for girlfriends. I have been taking my DDs since they were both 2.

I waited so long to take my girls because I wanted them to be able to sit in their own seat on the plane and to be potty trained. Plus I didn't have to lug as much baby stuff with me from place to place. I also wanted them to recognize and react positively to the characters and attraction. I didn't wait longer to take them because I wanted to see their magical reaction to the wonder of Disney before they got too old.

I think that Disney can be enjoyed by children at every age. When they are younger, they will love the characters and the gentler rides. As they reach school age, they will still enjoy the characters but will be ready to take on some of the thrill rides. When they are Tweens like my kids, we enjoy all of the thrill rides together and they can help us with the trip planning and itinerary.

Bottom line: start taking your kids now; you won't regret it. You will have wonderful memories and your kids will soon be Disney fans.

sweetpee_1993

I grew up going to WDW...first trip was when I was less than 2.

When I had children my big requirement was that they could walk the parks without a stroller. I wasn't going to push a stroller or haul all the baby gear. I got that thought in my head and wouldn't budge from it. So, my boys were 6 & 7 for their first trip. That was 2004. We've been a family on the go since.

That said, when the husband and I look back on it our only true regret is that we waited as long as we did. When we see other little ones, even the less than 1 or 2 kiddos, we see the wonder in their little eyes and regret that we didn't do that with ours. It would've been a lot of work but it would've been worthwhile.

Boardwalker

Took my first son for his 4th birthday in Feb. his brother is not coming until he is four. I see the people with babies in the park and they looked stressed out. Taking four year old again in sept., he had an Awesome first trip!

DiSnEyF@n

Me and my DH are expecting our first lo in February and we are already planning our trip for August 2014 when the baby will be 6 months old. One reason for going then is bc my DH has two kids age 15 and 12 (at the time of our next trip)... We only have a few short years left with them going on vacations... I am still ecstatic about taking my new lo with us though... Wouldn't have it any other way! Happy Planning :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom