1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

AT&T on Spaceship Earth

Discussion in 'WDW Parks News, Rumors and Current Events' started by ISTCNavigator57, Apr 29, 2003.

1. ISTCNavigator57

ISTCNavigator57 Well-Known Member

Hey y'all

back in january, Steve posted:

23 January 2003: AT&T pulling sponsorship from Spaceship Earth

This item circulated amongst AT&T employees, indicates sponsorship is being heavily cut at all Disney parks.

AT&T ENDS SPONSORSHIPS AT DISNEY PARKS – As part of a continuous evaluation of our sponsorship activities, AT&T has decided not to renew our sponsorships of Spaceship Earth at Walt Disney World (Florida) and Innoventions at Disneyland (California). AT&T made this decision as part of its ongoing efforts to make the best possible use of our sponsorship dollars and ensure the best possible match with our business priorities. AT&T's sponsorship of Spaceship Earth at EPCOT Center began 20 years ago during the days of the Bell System. While we have evolved our partnership with the Walt Disney Company over the years, the Spaceship Earth and Innoventions sponsorships no longer meet the needs of the business. However, we look forward to continuing other marketing and promotional involvement with the Disney Company. Concurrent with the end of the sponsorships, effective Jan. 1, employees no longer have access to discounted Disney tickets or to the hospitality areas associated with these two attractions

But, now, someone on another thread posted that AT&T did not pull sponsorship (as per Eyes and Ears) and it is confirmed that AT&T logos still line the queue...what's the deal?
  2. TURKEY

TURKEY New Member

I get Eyes and Ears as a Campus Rep. Unless I missed it (slight chance), I haven't noticed anything in the ones that I have. I think the latest one, maybe two are the only ones I haven't seen.
  3. SirNim

SirNim Well-Known Member

http://www.att.com/news/0993/930901.csb.html

It was a ten year sponsorship. Beginning September??

Then ending September??

I just don't know.

I know that the AT&T employee memo you posted says effective Jan 1st, so I just don't know what the deal is.
  4. CDS Disney

CDS Disney Member

I wonder what the renovaton means.
  5. VinnieG

VinnieG New Member

Was at SE just a few weeks ago and AT&T logos are all over the place and ride still says that SE is brought to you by AT&T
  6. CAPTAIN HOOK

CAPTAIN HOOK Active Member

Yep, I was there 7 days ago - AT&T appears at least 3 times towards the end of the ride (if my memory is correct) plus a giant overhead sign just before the cars turn around and the commentary informs the riders that the ride was presented by AT&T prior to disembarking
  7. CTXRover

CTXRover Well-Known Member

Hmmm, I guess AT&T didn't drop their sponsorship. Its almost been four months since they "supposedly" dropped it. That's plenty of time to remove those signs.

Considering how fast FedEx references from SpaceM, the GE logo from Illuminations and American Express from the American Adventure (this one made sense since AE is no longer the official card of WDW) were removed when they dropped their sponsorships, the AT&T references should have been removed already.

Anyone got any proof that AT&T really did in fact go through with dropping their sponsorship?
  8. djhammon

djhammon New Member

Is it changing

Does anybody know if spaceship earth will be replaced with???
  9. SirNim

SirNim Well-Known Member

We also have to remember that AT&T didn't "drop" sponsorship. They decided they were not going to "renew" it. Thus, there is a "overlap" amount of time. We probably are, right now, the middle of that overlap period. Which is why AT&T logos are still all over the place.
    When the overlap period expires, and the sponsorship agreement from 10 years ago terminates, then we will see AT&T references removed.

But this is, of course, just my theory.
  10. mattjs

mattjs Active Member

From a January 11, 2003, Robert Johnson article on page c1 of the Orlando Sentinel

"AT&T, SPACESHIP EARTH TO PART WAYS AFTER 20-YEAR PARTNERSHIP EXPIRES":

The change will take place "after the 20 year partnership expires". Which appears to be sometime this year (2003).
  11. SirNim

SirNim Well-Known Member

Right. Sometime around late August and Easrly September, I suppose.:)
  12. roysta123

roysta123 New Member

Can anyone confirm that the ATT lounge in Space Ship Earth is still open?:brick:
  13. SirNim

SirNim Well-Known Member

It was open when I went up into it last year, April, but I do not think that it is open now.
    This leads me to believe that they are closed. However, we are not quite sure if the sponsorship agreement was meant to end on Jan. 1. I think that they (VIP lounges) were closed by AT&T, not Disney, to clean up and perhaps remove any references to the company, i.e. removing logos, removing furniture, desks, paperwork, chairs, etc., anything that might belong to AT&T. But I really do not know if the lounge is open right now or not. That memo I quoted says it is, however I just do not know conclusively.
  14. DarkMeasures

DarkMeasures New Member

So, then does anyone know anything about Microsoft picking up the sponsorship?

*Thinks about MS and Spaceship Earth*

Narrorator: During the ancient roman times, many people would play XBOX for XBOX was their god and if they did not play it, they would be dragged across the countryside on a rope connected to a chariot.

*Goes to future scenes*

Narrorator: In the future everyone will be a slave to Microsoft and will have to buy an XBOX and boycott Nintendo and Sony.

Hmmmm...
  15. ISTCNavigator57

The AT&T sponsorship expires in September...now it all makes sense...thanks! Microsoft is the company that offered to pay for Time Racers...it is no coincidence that the Journey Through Time Event is scheduled for September, the month the 20 year agreement w/ AT&T ends (and a new 10-year agreement w/ Microsoft begins). Makes sense for Time Racers to move in now...so get out there and ride Spaceship Earth this summer! It may not be open come...Spring!
  16. SirNim

SirNim Well-Known Member

*Faints* :eek:

Stop that pessimistic talk!!!:fork: :mad: :( :eek:

Ahhhhh........:(

:)
  17. ISTCNavigator57

It's been 21 years...we will all have to let it go...it'll be a lot like Titanic..."I'll never forget...I'll never forget"
  18. wdwfan22

wdwfan22 Well-Known Member

AT&T Remains with Spaceship Earth

Hello just wanted to share that I Disney still states that Spaceship Earth at Epcot is sponsored by AT&T

Original Message Follows:
    -------------------------

To Whom It May Concern,

I was inquiring about AT&T's current role with the Walt Disney company. Do they still sponsor attractions such as Spaceship Earth at Epcot, and Indiana Jones Adventure at Disneyland Park.

Thank you,

Tony

--------------------------------
    Dear Tony,

Thank you for contacting WALT DISNEY WORLD!

Although AT&T is still the sponsor of Spaceship Earth at Epcot, we are told by Disneyland Information that they are no longer sponsoring Indiana Jones Adventure at Disneyland Park.

If you have questions or need further assistance, feel free to contact us.

Please include your full name, E-Mail address, and reservation number if
    applicable on all correspondence.

Thank you!

Sincerely,

Laurie Russell

On line Guest Service
    WALT DISNEY WORLD Reservations
    P O Box 10,100
    Lake Buena Vista, FL 32830-0100

:animwink:
  19. ISTCNavigator57

It seems AT&T is just removing their sponsorships slowly--I think they will be completely out of Disney by fall.
  20. Tahu

Tahu Well-Known Member

NOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooo... I'll never give into the trickery of the evil master of doom,chaos and kitten eating clowns. Long live Nintendo!!!!