At DL right now, just been profiled by security

flynnibus

Premium Member
Gonna play devil's advocate here. It is a very scary thing to be a female sometimes. There are over 200,000 sexual assaults a year in the US. Statistically 1 out of 6 woman in the US will be sexually assaulted in their lifetime.

Those women walking down the street in those videos are constantly being approached by men. Some may be just nice guys but when you are being approached, catcalled or followed day after day, sorry you don't know who is safe anymore and everyone starts to look like an jerk.

So are we going to wear signs above our heads... showing our prequalifications? Or are we going to require everyone go through screening before it's 'ok' to approach someone? Or are we going to continue the trend of 'if its not an approach I want... its harassment'

is someone supposed to meet someone they've had no previous relationship with?

Most people had some common sense in terms of what was appropriate behavior between two people that don't know each other... and then there was behavior that was inappropriate because it was vulgar, or challenged someone's self or space, or just rude. Those standards have been eaten away and replaced with 'anything I didn't want'.

It can't be ignored that there is a double standard... an action taken by a man the woman is interested in, could be labeled harassment if done by someone they didn't want to approach them.

Or what if ugly men started complaining they felt uncomfortable and judged when the beautiful women cower or retreat from them in the workplace...

Bottom line... you can't let an individual define what is socially acceptable on their own. It will always lead to unrealistic extremes because some people just can't think beyond themselves.

TP2000

I can't do that, but if someone feels like they are being treated inappropriately by security, the situation should be investigated.

Sure, but "Being treated inappropriately by security" is not necessarily "discrimination". You specifically used the word "discrimination".

If you can't prove she was being discriminated against because she was white, or a woman, or overweight, then we shouldn't be blaming the hard working security staff trying to keep us safe of being guilty of "discrimination".

We haven't even been given the details on what their "comments" were that annoyed her. The situation that's been described when a lady was stopped twice in one day for screening by the algorithm in use at the time is incredibly vague up to this point. And it certainly hasn't shown any hint of discrimination. At least not yet.

Andrew_Ryan

Sure, but "Being treated inappropriately by security" is not necessarily "discrimination". You specifically used the word "discrimination".

If you can't prove she was being discriminated against because she was white, or a woman, or overweight, then we shouldn't be blaming the hard working security staff trying to keep us safe of being guilty of "discrimination".

We haven't even been given the details on what their "comments" were that annoyed her. The situation that's been described when a lady was stopped twice in one day for screening by the algorithm in use at the time is incredibly vague up to this point. And it certainly hasn't shown any hint of discrimination. At least not yet.

I'm not a detective. All I'm saying is that the security team should be trained to treat guests with the utmost safety and respect, and that if someone feels like they have been treated improperly during the screening process, it is in their right to report the incident and know that it will be investigated.

Honestly, I think the whole screening process will cause more problems than it will solve.

Californian Elitist

I have never had a problem with a man smiling at me. A have never met anyone who has complained that a man smiled at them. I have even been flattered when a man had approached me nicely and asked me out or wanted to introduce themselves etc. I've even had a man do it in front of my kids in a store. There is a huge difference is tone, glances, body language etc. Yelling "Hey baby check out that ***." at a complete stranger is not appropriate.

Amen, sister.

I swear, guys these days, based on the ones I've come across, have NO home training, whatsoever. And some of them don't even care about age anymore, which is disturbing (the first time a guy approached me, I was 11 and he must have been in his late teens/early twenties, trying to holler at me). A gentleman is very rare these days, and it's unfortunate and frustrating.

When a man acts how he should act, I don't get bothered, even if I'm not interested in him. When someone yells at me or whistles at me, I ignore them. One time a man introduced himself to me and asked if he could walk me to the bus. I wasn't interested, but I let him walk me to the stop because he acted like a gentleman and not a douchebag.

I also agree with you that it can be scary to be a female. I was walking with a friend, coming from school, and a man tried to talk to us. We spoke to him a little. We separated, and once the guy saw that, he walked back and started following me. He then started shooting off questions, asking how old I was, where I went to school, where I lived... As soon as I got the chance, I ran from him. I was petrified.

ljs1691

Original Poster
I felt harassed. What difference does it make what exact comments were made? They were not telling me to have a magical day. I was made to feel uncomfortable and that should not happen at Disney. That is my point. When I went through security the morning following my incident, I watched as female after female (plus size or not) was pulled aside for extra screening.

I'm sorry if you boys don't understand feeling uncomfortable in the presence of a group of men in an uncomfortable situation. Your inconsiderate comments toward me pretty much speaks to why I felt harassed in the first place, but I have been around these boards long enough to know not to take you seriously.

Since attacks are statistically carried out by men, I don't think the security company has a snowballs chance of catching much of anyone with the current process.

Thanks to those that gave me the benefit of the doubt and could read between the lines of me just wanting to make sure other visitors, female or not, are not made to feel uncomfortable. I expect it at the airport, not Disney.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I really don't think the men here should be telling women what justifies female sexual harassment or not. Just my two cents.

But that's the problem mentality where 'no one can tell me what is...' . When left unchecked we devolve to the 'snowflake' model where people get upset over anything because there is no checks and balances to keep things sane.

Tony the Tigger

There's also a thing called "false accusations". Not saying EVERYTHING is false, but there are stats that say it happens a LOT.

Not to mention people who sue for a snake falling out of a tree. Or people who think everyone is hitting on them.

I went into this thread open-minded, but I have not heard one solid thing. I fully acknowledge that I may well be wrong. Maybe this woman is just not good at articulating her story.

But watching female after female get pulled aside for extra screening means absolutely nothing. Simply screening a woman is not harassment. What does that screening consist of? Oh, empty your pockets into a bowl and walk through a metal detector. What's sexual about that?

I did it. I'm a man, and the security screener was a woman. I guess I could've talked myself into feeling like I was unfairly singled out. I could've stood there and watched and see if she picked any women to screen. But I was at Epcot and had stuff to do LOL.

To the OP, in all fairness, and with no disrespect, I don't think you're going to get much support here unless you have more than just the fact that they were picking women at the moment you were watching. Did they touch you inappropriately? Because nobody touched me at all. Did they make a comment about your body? Could you have misinterpreted someone being just as uncomfortable as you were?

If somebody said, "hey baby, take that jacket off and let's see what's underneath…" then that's a problem.

If you think they were staring at you in a certain spot, you may be wrong. Or, maybe they were.

But watching for a little while and seeing them pull only women to walk through a metal detector could very well be coincidental, or even subconscious. As someone else said, they're probably counting every certain number of people. Or maybe some guests were giving the security people a hard time, and they thought picking some people who looked less likely to be confrontational would give them a break from that. Who knows?

If you have something concrete, say it.
How could people not listen then?

Tony the Tigger

Is this really the place to have that debate though? Some women here are saying they've been sexually harassed and they've given specific examples of how. As a man just let it be and listen. You might learn something.

Actually, it's just one woman, and the original post isn't even explicitly claiming sexual harassment. She accused security of "profiling plus sized women." And then apparently blamed that on the fact that the security people were men.

D

Deleted member 107043

Actually, it's just one woman, and the original post isn't even explicitly claiming sexual harassment.

There are several women here who have shared their experiences, not just the OP, and that's what I was addressing.

Last edited by a moderator:

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
Twilight-moms-bottom-is-funny-harry-potter-vs-twilight-18096594-1548-862.jpg
You've never seen the guys online who count down to the day when young female stars turn 18?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom