Astro Orbiter and TTA Refurbishment in 2014

TP2000

What was Rocket Rods supposed to be any way? I know it was a replacement for DL's peoplemover that never opened because it didn't work, but what was it supposed to do?

It did open, in May 1998 and then it operated for several years. I rode it a bunch of times in the late 1990's. But it wasn't very good. Basically a hot rod version of the PeopleMover. But the real problem was that all the new G-forces the vehicles were exerting on the PeopleMover track meant the thing was literally tearing itself apart. It was closed for safety and engineering reasons.

Here's an on-ride video of it from the end of its run in 2000, with the new Autopia under construction then. The front seat was actually pretty fun, at least on some sections of the track.

Californian Elitist

What was Rocket Rods supposed to be any way? I know it was a replacement for DL's peoplemover that never opened because it didn't work, but what was it supposed to do?

Rocket Rods was an awesome attraction, when it was working properly. It was like a modern version of the PeopleMover; it was a fast ride that took you around a Tomorrowland, like a tour. The blast off in the beginning was the best part. I was sad when it left, but unfortunately it was very flawed. Just a sign of the sad times for Disneyland in the 90s and the early 00s.

PeterAlt

It did open, in May 1998 and then it operated for several years. I rode it a bunch of times in the late 1990's. But it wasn't very good. Basically a hot rod version of the PeopleMover. But the real problem was that all the new G-forces the vehicles were exerting on the PeopleMover track meant the thing was literally tearing itself apart. It was closed for safety and engineering reasons.

Here's an on-ride video of it from the end of its run in 2000, with the new Autopia under construction then. The front seat was actually pretty fun, at least on some sections of the track.

Thanks. I remember a quote from Paul Pressler before it opened predicting it was going to be the most popular ride at DL! Lol

PeterAlt

Rocket Rods was an awesome attraction, when it was working properly. It was like a modern version of the People Mover; it was a fast ride that took you around a Tomorrowland, like a tour. The blast off in the beginning was the best part. I was sad when it left.
Did they add new track to the old peoplemover for it? It seemed a bit longer from the video, but I have no idea how long the old one was. I'm comparing it to the WDW one.

TP2000

Did they add new track to the old peoplemover for it? It seemed a bit longer from the video, but I have no idea how long the old one was. I'm comparing it to the WDW one.

No, that was the exact route of the original Disneyland PeopleMover. The Disneyland PeopleMover was a very long ride with a very long track, clocking in at about 15 minutes. The Rocket Rods did the same track in about 3 minutes.

PeterAlt

No, that was the exact route of the original Disneyland PeopleMover. The Disneyland PeopleMover was a very long ride with a very long track, clocking in at about 15 minutes. The Rocket Rods did the same track in about 3 minutes.
So, what's going to become of it now? What are the rumors?

TP2000

So, what's going to become of it now? What are the rumors?

Per Al Lutz today, the proposal to do a "Speeder Bike" coaster type thing is back on the front burner. A similar concept is being installed in Shanghai's Tomorrowland in 2015, and a clone would be built for Disneyland using at least some of the route of the old Disneyland PeopleMover.

Nothing definite or official yet, and that rumor simply joins the short list of other rumors that may or may not be announced at D23 Expo in August.

Californian Elitist

That was a very dark age for Disneyland. Very dark years, roughly 1997-2003. Compliments of Paul Pressler and Cynthia Harriss.

Yep, exactly. The park was falling apart, people were dying for Pete's sake, the Tomorrowland makeover in 1998, DCA 1.0... Mess after mess after mess. I was so happy when the 50th celebration finally came. People were really happy and things were changing then. Disneyland has come a long way. The entire resort has.

TP2000

Yep, exactly. The park was falling apart, people were dying for Pete's sake, the Tomorrowland makeover in 1998, DCA 1.0... Mess after mess after mess. I was so happy when the 50th celebration finally came. People were really happy and things were changing then. Disneyland has come a long way. The entire resort has.

It changed nearly in the blink of an eye; completely rehabbed during all of calendar year 2004 and into the spring of '05. New executive blood was brought in, and everything made a 180 degree turn very fast, aesthetically and culturally. The same thing could happen at WDW too.

PeterAlt

I hope that feeling of happiness returns for WDW as well. It's grim seeing people here in despair and no hope!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom