Astro Orbiter and TTA Refurbishment in 2014

rct247

Original Poster
REFURBISHMENT UPDATE

We already know that the Peoplemover is going down from February 10 to March 27, but it looks like Astro Orbiter will not be going down at the same time. Peoplemover looks to be getting some structural work done to the building as well as general maintenance and cleaning of the trains, track, and station. Recently, I have heard of some issues with the ramps leading up to the attraction. The refurbishment will also address those issues. No changes planed for the themeing, narration, or experience from what I can tell.

While it hasn't appeared on the calendar yet, Astro Orbiter looks like it will be going down during the summer. I'm not sure why they picked then, but my guess is that Astro usually goes down when it storms anyways. The main reason for the refurbishment will be all new elevators, but there will be other extensive work to the ride and the planets from what I am told. No word on if Peoplemover will have to go down briefly for any reason. I would also like to add that sometime in the past two months, the neon has returned to the top of Astro Orbiter.

Carousel of Progress was also mentioned in another thread to go down for a refurbishment in 2014. It look like this may happen in the Fall. There will be come cosmetic stuff with carpeting and seating as well as some ride safety related things. No plans to change or update any of the acts or animatronics.

Finally as a side note, the Tomorrowland Speedway is currently in its one week refurbishment that will mainly be focused on track concrete work especially near the load area.

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
The neon on the yellow tower comes on and off, as if it coincides with the teleportation in the attraction. I noticed it working at three different times last night.

I'm really not sure about that...
Why do you think it has to do with SGE and isn't just on its own timer?

aladdin2007

REFURBISHMENT UPDATE

We already know that the Peoplemover is going down from February 10 to March 27, but it looks like Astro Orbiter will not be going down at the same time. Peoplemover looks to be getting some structural work done to the building as well as general maintenance and cleaning of the trains, track, and station. Recently, I have heard of some issues with the ramps leading up to the attraction. The refurbishment will also address those issues. No changes planed for the themeing, narration, or experience from what I can tell.

While it hasn't appeared on the calendar yet, Astro Orbiter looks like it will be going down during the summer. I'm not sure why they picked then, but my guess is that Astro usually goes down when it storms anyways. The main reason for the refurbishment will be all new elevators, but there will be other extensive work to the ride and the planets from what I am told. No word on if Peoplemover will have to go down briefly for any reason. I would also like to add that sometime in the past two months, the neon has returned to the top of Astro Orbiter.

Carousel of Progress was also mentioned in another thread to go down for a refurbishment in 2014. It look like this may happen in the Fall. There will be come cosmetic stuff with carpeting and seating as well as some ride safety related things. No plans to change or update any of the acts or animatronics.

Finally as a side note, the Tomorrowland Speedway is currently in its one week refurbishment that will mainly be focused on track concrete work especially near the load area.

Thank you for the updates

Weather_Lady

REFURBISHMENT UPDATE

Thanks for the info.! I'm so glad that the PeopleMover will likely be back up before our visit in early May. Last time, it made both of my kids' top 4 or 5 favorite attractions in all of WDW! In fact, so did the Tiki Room, right alongside Big Thunder, POTC and TSMM. Who says a well-done classic attraction can't capture the imagination of today's techno-savvy kids? Glad to see these Tomorrowland classics getting some love.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I'm really not sure about that...
Why do you think it has to do with SGE and isn't just on its own timer?
The lighting effect (neon and strobe) that's thankfully working again is right above the original AE queue entrance, hence its a visual representation of the teleport theme inside.

And it looks nice.

mr_braver23

ANOTHER UPDATE

The Peoplemover refurbishment next month may be pushed back to a later date this year to match up with the Astro Orbiter so that more work can be done. If that's the case, then all of Rockettower Plaza building will be down this summer.
I hope your right coming down Feb 28-March 9 was kinda down because if this!

JimboJones123

Maybe it will include some time to install any kind of theming after all.

Maybe somebody read my post referencing the TRON tunnel in the DL version??

Nah...

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
ANOTHER UPDATE

The Peoplemover refurbishment next month may be pushed back to a later date this year to match up with the Astro Orbiter so that more work can be done. If that's the case, then all of Rockettower Plaza building will be down this summer.
Summer? Wow. Not knocking work being done, but strange scheduling.

Matt_Black

Maybe it will include some time to install any kind of theming after all.

Maybe somebody read my post referencing the TRON tunnel in the DL version??

Nah...

I've come to accept that they'll probably never include any kind of proper Tron stuff in WDW. I keep hoping for it, but it's a measured, practical hope. It's the same sort of optimism that causes me to ask if there's any Gargoyles merchandise at the shops when I stop down there (there never is).

rct247

Original Poster
Summer? Wow. Not knocking work being done, but strange scheduling.
Seems very weird why u would do heavy refurbs during your most busy, and most profitable, months.

I agree. They were supposed to go down at the same time to begin with, but I don't think things were finalized in time for Astro so it was pushed back. I think they were only ok with Astro going down in the summer due to the frequency that it went down for lightning, however, that would also make it hard to work on it during the rainy season. I don't think the dates have officially been changed yet, but if there is a sudden change, you will know why now.

JimboJones123

I've come to accept that they'll probably never include any kind of proper Tron stuff in WDW. I keep hoping for it, but it's a measured, practical hope. It's the same sort of optimism that causes me to ask if there's any Gargoyles merchandise at the shops when I stop down there (there never is).
Yeah, why has there not been a live action Gargoyles movie but there was a crappy Sorcerer's Apprentice?

Matt_Black

Careful... Nick Cage was attached to a live-action Gargoyles pitch at one point that would have had nothing to do with the series. Speak of it and run the risk of summoning that horror once more upon the world!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom