Asian parks Face Characters

Mouse_Trap

Original Poster
Watching the video posted in another thread of the fake Disney in China made me think of this for some reason.

How do Disney cast face characters in the Asian parks?
I just can't imagine how an asian look would work for most of the face characters we are used to seeing in the US and Euro parks.

Or is there enough westerners looking for minimum-ish wage type acting jobs in asia?

asianway

Watching the video posted in another thread of the fake Disney in China made me think of this for some reason.

How do Disney cast face characters in the Asian parks?
I just can't imagine how an asian look would work for most of the face characters we are used to seeing in the US and Euro parks.

Or is there enough westerners looking for minimum-ish wage type acting jobs in asia?
Exception being Merlin in Hong Kong - maybe your not supposed to notice

Skooterkid

Exception being Merlin in Hong Kong - maybe your not supposed to notice

HKDL's Merlin is brilliant! I rarely stop to watch his shows in the US but he is so entertaining in HKDL - even without knowing the language, his energy and enthusiasm always draws a crowd!

wdrive

Asian park face characters are usually American, British or Australian.

Mulan used to appear at Hong Kong Disneyland and was really Chinese but she no longer appears there.

Figments Friend

What others have said - Westerners are cast, and many come directly from Disneyland.

A friend i know once played a face character role at Disneyland for several years, and spent several more years playing the same character over at HKDL.
The way i remember him describing it was that every few months or so the casting call would go out for volunteers interested in 'making the trek' to Asia who were already performing roles at Disneyland.
He went over a couple of times in 3 month periods and really enjoyed the experience, but it eventually made him homesick.

-

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom