As Dreamers Do CANADIAN PREMIERE

FilmCa

Original Poster
Hi everyone! I work for Film.ca Cinemas (currently known as Encore Cinemas - we are in the process of changing our name!), an independent theatre in Oakville, Ontario. We are hosting the Canadian premiere event of the independent Walt Disney biopic "As Dreamers Do" on May 16th at 7pm. Director Logan Sekulow and actor William Haynes will be in attendance and will give a talk.

Oakville is a suburb about 40 mins from Toronto and our cinema is about a 10 minute walk from the Oakville train station which receives two trains an hour from Toronto.

You can find us at film.ca - ticket link is on the front page.

If any Canadian Disney fan groups are interested in doing a meetup at that time we are totally open to hosting that too. Our company founder and CEO is a big Disney nut himself and we're more interested in doing this whole screening event for the fan community than anything else!

Sorry if this kind of post is not allowed, if so feel free to delete, but we wanted to get the word out to as many members of the Disney community as possible :)

216bruce

Been following this one for a while on social media, seen the trailer and it looks like a fun movie. On the other hand, I think Walt purists and serious Disney historians are going to form a lynch mob, especially after the way many of them felt about 'Saving Mr. Banks'.

Magenta Panther

Been following this one for a while on social media, seen the trailer and it looks like a fun movie. On the other hand, I think Walt purists and serious Disney historians are going to form a lynch mob, especially after the way many of them felt about 'Saving Mr. Banks'.

It kind of depends on what you mean by "Walt purists" and "serious Disney historians". Some "Walt purists" insist he was an anti-Semite despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary. (Such folk are "Walt purists" as opposed to "Walt fans". Happily, it's possible to be both - unless one's intentions are to portray the man as a political caricature, as is the case with that lowlife Seth McFarlane and that twit Meryl Streep. And don't get me started with Abigail Disney. The terms I'd use for her would hardly be gentlemanly. No wonder the rest of the Disney family can't stand her).

"Banks" told a good story and told it well. If it was kind to Walt, it was much MUCH kinder to P.L. Travers, whom some in the "impartial" media treated as if she were a victimized artiste. She was, in truth, a damn weird lady with serious Daddy issues. It's a matter of record that Walt was very generous towards her, and treated her well. But that's not enough for those determined to cast Walt in a bad light in order to prop up their very narrow, bitter and angry view of the world...

216bruce

Walt purists and serious Disney historians= folks who get their knickers in a twist over stuff like the Pinocchio ride in the background shots in "Mr. Banks" or a Winnie the Pooh plush being in the movie or the idea that Walt was at the studio during Travers visit. In essence, people that lose sight of the forest for the trees.

Hey, I loved 'Mr. Banks", no need to defend it, or Walt, with me. I only slightly differ with you on Travers. I felt sorry for her in a lot of ways. Weird, yup. Daddy issues, likely. Damaged kid becomes damaged adult- yup.

I assume you are aware of the "Walt before Mickey" film too. I'm sure that it, along with "Dreamers", will get a truckload of criticism from the abovementioned communities of perfectionists and crackpots in the media.

Magenta Panther

Walt purists and serious Disney historians= folks who get their knickers in a twist over stuff like the Pinocchio ride in the background shots in "Mr. Banks" or a Winnie the Pooh plush being in the movie or the idea that Walt was at the studio during Travers visit. In essence, people that lose sight of the forest for the trees.

Hey, I loved 'Mr. Banks", no need to defend it, or Walt, with me. I only slightly differ with you on Travers. I felt sorry for her in a lot of ways. Weird, yup. Daddy issues, likely. Damaged kid becomes damaged adult- yup.

I assume you are aware of the "Walt before Mickey" film too. I'm sure that it, along with "Dreamers", will get a truckload of criticism from the abovementioned communities of perfectionists and crackpots in the media.

I didn't mean to criticize you; sorry if it came off that way. And I too felt sorry for Travers in "Saving Mr. Banks" - the film treated her quite sympathetically. Which is why I get ticked when some people say she was "thrown under the bus" and all that rot. Ridiculous. I still lost patience with her while watching the film, but I did at least understand where she was coming from.

I have heard of "Walt Before Mickey", and I have no doubt that your prediction will be correct in regards to purists' reactions. I'm a Walt fan (duh), but I'm aware of his flaws (his true flaws, not the ones trumped up by people with questionable senses of humor or those trying to push a political agenda). I just want him to be treated fairly and honestly. I hope the two films you mention will do a creditable job of that. :)

EricJ

It kind of depends on what you mean by "Walt purists" and "serious Disney historians". Some "Walt purists" insist he was an anti-Semite despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary.

(Such as the fact that the accusations first arose during Walt's refusal to bend to powerful union interests, during the strike...And what was the one reputation-blackening dirty word among the Irving Thalbergs and Louis B. Mayers of 40's Hollywood?)

Such folk are "Walt purists" as opposed to "Walt fans". Happily, it's possible to be both - unless one's intentions are to portray the man as a political caricature, as is the case with that lowlife Seth McFarlane and that twit Meryl Streep.

You'll have to excuse Streep: They serve drinks at the Golden Globes. Seriously. :hungover:
(Although I was just waiting for Ellen DeGeneres at the Oscars to make a joke about that during her audience-shmoozing: "Okay, Meryl, I got a Disney Trivia card for you: 'Who played King Louie in the Jungle Book?'")

"Banks" told a good story and told it well. If it was kind to Walt, it was much MUCH kinder to P.L. Travers, whom some in the "impartial" media treated as if she were a victimized artiste. She was, in truth, a damn weird lady with serious Daddy issues. It's a matter of record that Walt was very generous towards her, and treated her well. But that's not enough for those determined to cast Walt in a bad light in order to prop up their very narrow, bitter and angry view of the world...

In fact, given that Disney probably didn't go all the way to London just to talk to her, it probably portrays them both in too good a light.
He wanted to get the movie filmed, and didn't mistreat Travers or her book more excessively than a good adaptation deserved, but by premiere time, he was pretty darn fed up.

216bruce

Supposedly, I should be getting my dvd copy of this soon. Once I do, I'll let you know how it is. I really hope it's well made and reasonably accurate. I'll take even one of the two.

216bruce

The dvd copy arrived and I watched it this morning. It's a well-intentioned, limited budget independent film. Some of the acting is pretty good, some of it is like watching a decent community theater presentation. All in all it's a sweet movie with a nice feel to it. I have some friends who have made indies and I know how tough it can be, so I didn't expect a Hollywood production.
If you are curious or just a Walt junkie, it's worth a look-see, but be kind as it's not a real polished production. Travis Tritt, who narrates it does a really nice job as does Olan Rogers as Walt. The only bad part is Ub Iwerks comes off like a buffoon at times. What I've read about Ub makes him to be a pretty serious guy, so that didn't work. The kid actors are adorable and remind me vintage "Our Gang" in their charm and presentation. The story is pretty accurate for the most part, with some dramatic embellishments. Just generally a cute film.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom