Article from Local 6 news - Drones over the parks

flynnibus

Premium Member

DisDan

How could you stop someone from Crashing a Drone with an IED strapped to it into a very public (high profile) place.... seems like this is a BIG vulnerability with how hefty some of these drones are getting.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Like most really cool new technology, a select few with no common sense are going to ruin it for everyone else.

I just got into this hobby and it just blows my mind that someone would think nothing of bringing it into a theme park without permission.

As @flynnibus eluded to, the technology is impressive but it is not bullet proof. Many of these filming drones have a GPS system that helps to keep them stable and at altitude, but if that lock is lost, you are at the mercy of the wind.

I have only been flying one for around a month and I have already run into one such occurrence and it sent a few pounds of metal, plastic and spinning blades straight into the ground in about 2 seconds.

phi2134

Totally against the drone flying...but its hard to be too mad when they have that close of a peak of the Avatar construction :) I hope that Disney has a way to deter drone flying over the parks in the future, some sort of signal jamming or ability to take over the drone if it's in their air space.

Jahona

I've always wanted to fly one of my quads at Disney, imagining the awesome video I could take. I also realize that it's only a dream and the weight of a fully loaded Phantom 2 falling on a crowd or even onto the tracks of an open air ride would be disastrous. As this hobby gets more accessible for the general population people need to take responsibility and learn the regulations.

Jahona

Totally against the drone flying...but its hard to be too mad when they have that close of a peak of the Avatar construction :) I hope that Disney has a way to deter drone flying over the parks in the future, some sort of signal jamming or ability to take over the drone if it's in their air space.

A lot of the new commercially available drones are flying on the 2.4ghz and 5.0 / 5.8 ghz frequencies. Those are crowded frequencies as they primarily used for WiFi. Jamming the proper frequencies would cause other issues around the park. New RC aircraft are more and more being bound digitally to the controller unlike just being on different open frequencies. Trying to hijack someones drone in the air is not an easy affair.

dstrawn9889

A lot of the new commercially available drones are flying on the 2.4ghz and 5.0 / 5.8 ghz frequencies. Those are crowded frequencies as they primarily used for WiFi. Jamming the proper frequencies would cause other issues around the park. New RC aircraft are more and more being bound digitally to the controller unlike just being on different open frequencies. Trying to hijack someones drone in the air is not an easy affair.
not only that the FCC prohibits jamming of any sort radio communications
http://transition.fcc.gov/eb/jammerenforcement/jamfaq.pdf

flynnibus

Premium Member
Its the situation of incredibly cool... You love the output... But its not the responsible thing to do.

And the more of them there are... The worse its going to get. The probability of a critical injury is low... But the potential loss is high and the people involved are not willing participants. Sad but true...

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
How could you stop someone from Crashing a Drone with an IED strapped to it into a very public (high profile) place.... seems like this is a BIG vulnerability with how hefty some of these drones are getting.

Physics, A drone with enough carrying capacity for an IED is a drone with a pricetag of high 5 figures and into six figures not a toy.

DisDan

ohh, i about found my way onto a watchlist, was going to see how heavy semtex was... googling that might have brought down the the wrath of DHS. glad i caught myself.

LOL.... sad that we doubt our privacy and feel like searching something for purely educational purposes would put us at risk. I guess this is the world we live in today. Privacy is just an illusion these days.

Jahona

Physics, A drone with enough carrying capacity for an IED is a drone with a pricetag of high 5 figures and into six figures not a toy.

Not to long ago a hexacopter carrying 6 lbs of meth crashed at the US Mexico Border. People and organizations with the intent to perform illegal acts don't exactly care about the cost. Granted the UAV carrying drugs wasn't intended to be a one time deal.

ABQ

I'll be happy when they crack down on the selfie sticks
OMG I'm with you there. Though my painful experience was when one was used not for selfies, but for this nimrod to stand next to my table outside the Rose and Crown to hold their GoPro out over our table and film Illuminations. Our family was quite displeased, but didn't want to raise holy hell during the show.

FoozieBear

Someone sent me this kid's drone video flying over the Avatar construction site which felt pretty illegal. I was wondering if/when Disney was going to crack down on these people. I wonder if it would be a problem to bring a drone into the park to film some different angles in the guest areas like this guy did:

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Someone sent me this kid's drone video flying over the Avatar construction site which felt pretty illegal. I was wondering if/when Disney was going to crack down on these people. I wonder if it would be a problem to bring a drone into the park to film some different angles in the guest areas like this guy did:

It would be a huge liability issue if it were to crash and hurt someone so I would not count on Disney allowing it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom