Artegon Marketplace review

71jason

Original Poster
Got over to the new Artegon Marketplace, the new venture that replaced the long-flailing Festival Bay mall on north I-Drive.

My initial reaction: shock. Festival Bay may have been a dead mall, but it was also the most beautiful mall in Orlando, with fountains and elaborate tile mosaics. Even after a decade it looked brand-new (lack of customers will do that I guess). All that's gone. Fountains and tile ripped out. Instead, the place has what I guess is supposed to be an industrial feel--I thought it felt more like an unfinished construction zone. While traditional shops still ring the exterior walls, the interior is now made up of a maze of black mesh cages. It reminded me of a flea market, or maybe the world's saddest zoo.

The "shops" are divided roughly equally into three categories:
  • Genuine artists. The kind of booth you'd see at Festival of the Masters or the DeLand or Mount Dora art festivals. Including some of the food booths here--a gluten-free baker, a beautiful chocolatier--because they truly seem to be offering gourmet products.
  • Straight-Out-of-the-Flea-Market vendors. T-shirts with a picture of a gun that follows your eyes. Candles made of old liquor bottles. Costume jewelry. A leather shop. Enough knock-off merch that a combination of Disney, WB and Harley-Davidson lawyers could probably shut half the place down n an hour.
  • The hold-overs. Bass Pro, Putting Edge, Ron Jon, Subway and Fuddruckers are still here. So are the discount book store and some generic women's clothing shop and the Barvarian Nut guy--it's all very random. None of these have changed their aesthetic to match the new Marketplace. You walk out of the highly themed Ron Jon, it feels like you've stumbled into a construction zone, and that the rest of the mall might open in 6 months.
I will say all of the people I met were friendly. Almost too friendly, there was so little pedestrian traffic I found myself trapped in awkward conversations, such as with the sweet (no pun intended) honey lady who insisted I sample every variety. I felt guilty about not buying something, even tho I would never use up a bottle of honey in my lifetime. The new aesthetic has done nothing to change the surreal feeling of being in an empty mall. The promised entertainment was nonexistent--just barely audible Muzak Christmas tunes.

Still not sure of the target audience, either. Are I-Drive tourists really looking to drop $350 on a piece of abstract wall art or a 4-foot sculpture? For that matter, are they planning on selling to the people who come for Bass Pro Shop and the soon-to-open Toby Keith bar? (OK, "Stars, Bars & Stripes" might do better with that market--yes, an actual store.) The style of the stores clash, but so do their target demographics.

I know the initial plan was to tear the mall down and build a more typical outdoor "lifestyle center." This was definitely a more outside the box choice. But I can't see it lasting. On Wednesday, already 10% of the booths were locked up--presumably giving up after less than 2 weeks. There still isn't much of a crowd, and the building is even less visually enticing than when it was Festival Bay. If anything but the anchor stores are left open by Spring Break, I'll be shocked.

cheezbat

I'm very disappointed to hear this. I used to hang out at Festival Bay all the time. Loved the place and its fountains. I planned on visiting it in its new incarnation tomorrow...i thought this would being new life and a nice new asthetic to the place...guess I'll be disappointed.

maxairmike

Of course they would destroy the one thing that made the mall a decent place. I guess they thought they could lower costs and make it more successful without the fountains and keeping the tile mosaics clean. Now that they've ruined it, they may as well just raze the place except for the anchors, re-route I-Drive to give more room to the outlets (they need additional parking, preferably in the form of a garage in the worst way, or at least add a pedestrian bridge above I-Drive), and try to redevelop it based on the anchor tenants from Festival Bay.

Omnikron

That's sad to hear as it has been almost four years or so since the last we had visited north I-drive and always walked through the mall there before heading into Fuddruckers. Always liked the main fountains in the front and it always seemed to be a nice mall.

Is the skate park still there, Knew that those plans for Ron Jon's surf park seemed to be rather sky high at the time.

Omnikron

Makes you think if the mall was constructed over ancient Indian burial grounds :D

Seriously in thinking that I'm surprised the ride inspection board missed any possible red flags for this thing. To relay on a customer to make sure they're connected to the trail is just asking for trouble without a safety net or padding underneath.

NemoRocks78

Seized
Premium Member
Gonna stop by and check it out this weekend. Festival Bay was my go-to spot years ago, when there were actually stores around (I miss the Steve & Barry's and Universal Orlando outlet). I hate that it went down the tubes. The Cinemark is still a great theater, thankfully.

71jason

Original Poster
Just a heads-up, Toby Keith's I <3 This Bar closed suddenly last week. No big surprise--was way too big a venue for the market--but in case anyone was thinking of making a trip.

Tom Morrow

I think the new concept is a good idea, but in a terrible location. The surrounding area is already filled to the brim with outlet stores. I think this would work great in other locations that aren't already over-saturated with shopping venues.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom