Arrival Night and Birthday Meal

Nala06

Original Poster
Who: me, dh, ds2.5, my parents
Arrival: mid afternoon to the Poly

We are flying out to disney on dh birthday, arriving mid afternoon likely (flights not booked yet) to the Poly. I had originally wanted Ohana for dinner, but have not been able to find an adr yet (currently using tp ressie finder). I booked Kona as a backup, but I was hoping for something a little more exciting for dh birthday. We dont have park plans for that night since I figured travelling with a toddler, it might be easiest to stick close to home in case we are tired. Any suggestions for a nice dinner on the monorail or maybe even epcot?

danyoung56

While it's too late to get reservations at the California Grill (up on top of the Contemporary Resort), you can always go up to the bar and enjoy a full meal, and then go out on the patio for MK fireworks. You have to decide for yourself if you want your kid sitting at the bar. But it's not really bar-like - it's very nice!

Nala06

Original Poster
While it's too late to get reservations at the California Grill (up on top of the Contemporary Resort), you can always go up to the bar and enjoy a full meal, and then go out on the patio for MK fireworks. You have to decide for yourself if you want your kid sitting at the bar. But it's not really bar-like - it's very nice!
We really prefer a true sit down with a toddler. Plus we dont want to be out very late. That does look nice though!

nickys

Premium Member
Check out The Wave at the Contemporary. I really like it, and it's not so well known / sought after so you should be able to make a reservation.

belledream

I agree Ohana would be an appropriate, celebratory atmosphere, but I also have had some of my favorite meals from start to finish at Kona Café, so I would have faith in your backup if it comes to that. ;) Though the restaurant doesn't seem to be anything extraordinary itself, there's something nice about the openness that let's you see and hear the atmosphere of the Poly lobby. Might be a good start to making Poly feel like your 'home' for the trip.

Would also agree to sticking around home area.There's Chef Mickey's (but may be hard to get a reservation) that's popular despite food being typical/underwhelming for some, and 1900 Park Fare or GF Cafe next door to Poly. Monorail to Epcot area...Cape May is nice too.

But I say Kona.

Nala06

Original Poster
I agree Ohana would be an appropriate, celebratory atmosphere, but I also have had some of my favorite meals from start to finish at Kona Café, so I would have faith in your backup if it comes to that. ;) Though the restaurant doesn't seem to be anything extraordinary itself, there's something nice about the openness that let's you see and hear the atmosphere of the Poly lobby. Might be a good start to making Poly feel like your 'home' for the trip.

Would also agree to sticking around home area.There's Chef Mickey's (but may be hard to get a reservation) that's popular despite food being typical/underwhelming for some, and 1900 Park Fare or GF Cafe next door to Poly. Monorail to Epcot area...Cape May is nice too.

But I say Kona.
The menu at kona looks great, i think you are right in that it is the atmosphere I am afraid isnt celebratory enough. After a long day of travel though it might be nice to just admire the hustle and bustle from afar and not be in the middle of it. Unless Ohana opens up for that date I will keep Kona then!

Nala06

Original Poster
Check out The Wave at the Contemporary. I really like it, and it's not so well known / sought after so you should be able to make a reservation.

We have had lunch there and really liked it, and have the breakfast buffet scheduled for later that week! I am excited to eat there again.

Nala06

Original Poster
Kona with either an arrival drink or night cap at Trader Sam's or the patio?
Now that sounds like a plan! I have never been inside Trader Sams but we like the patio when theres live music
I was also considering ordering a mini cake for dinner in his favorite character. Trying to find some more info on pricing and such though...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom