Arrival day plans?

Sillysidewalker

What do you typically do on arrival day? We have two flight options. The first would land at 7am and the second 2pm. I like the idea of the 7am arrival to get a full day but I know this means my kiddos will be exhausted with no where to nap. I am just trying to get tried and true strategies to avoid burnt out after our first day. Side note this trip is a quick one Fri - Tues so we won't have much down time.

Baldy

It really depends on your kids. When my son was younger we always took the early flights. We had lots of time in the parks. He was used to walking and the excitement would keep him going.
This past trip I had my neice (5) and it took her 2 days to recover from that early flight. She was exhausted and overstimulated. Luckily we had 9 days so it was ok.
I'm sure you'll have an amazing time whatever you decide. Have fun!

Upvote 0

Herdman

We almost always arrive early. We like the idea of getting there and having the option of exploring the resort, relaxing and taking a nap or heading to a park. It just feels like we're getting a little more out of our trip. I think as others have said it just depends on your kids and how they may react if they are a little sleep deprived.

Upvote 0

rachelkathryn

We did a morning flight in September with a 1 and 2 year old. The 1 year old fell asleep on the flight down and the 2 year old did not sleep all day, but crashed around 6 in the carriage. I prefer early flights and to be completely frank I threw the whole napping thing out the window. At home and on normal vacations I do stick to a schedule, but as Disney most of the times I brought them back to the hotel to nap they didn't so we just kept them at the parks and if they fell asleep in the carriage then we just strolled along Main Street or got an ice cream and waited for them to wake up.
My theory is that there is so much to do in Disney, most times you want to do them a couple of times, so get there early and make the most of that day!

Have fun!

Upvote 0

LilWalt

We drive so it's a little different for us. When our son was younger, under 4, we would stop half way and sleep (10 hour drive). Last couple of years we have left early in the morning and have drove straight through and have stayed in a hotel in the Downtown area. We generally check in sometime that evening then walk to Disney Springs and have dinner, recently it has been at Splitsville. Whenever we get tired walk back to the hotel for bed and then wake up and drive to our resort around 7:30ish and begin our vacation.

Upvote 0

BayLake

The last few trips we have been taking an early flight to arrive mid morning, and instead of hitting the parks we tend to enjoy the resort and pool. Then at night we may hit the monorail resorts and check them out and catch the fireworks from one of them. This way the kids are not dead tired walking through the parks, its a nice way to kick off the vacation. Then we wake up the next day ready to go.

Upvote 0

DiSnEyF@n

As someone who's taken two kids multiple times, I would go for the later-arriving flight so that everybody gets adequate sleep the night before. Plan on a laid-back evening (perhaps with a dinner ADR - make it 6pm or so, so you don't have to rush), doing "anytime" attractions (and some headliners with FP+) in just a couple of "lands." (For some reason, my family always likes to start at MK and do Adventureland, Frontierland and part of Liberty Square on our arrival day -- getting to the park between 2pm and 5pm (depending on our own flight arrangements) and staying no later than 9pm.

^^^^ What she said.... We went for a 4 nighter last year with our 2 and a half year old and we flew out at 6am. We swore we would never do that again and we're not. We're going the May and our flight leaves at 11am and puts us in Orlando around 2. We are much happier that we won't have to wake up at 3am to catch a flight.

Upvote 0

dmatt87

We are going in May and our flight leaves at 8am - so we will be up at 5am, which sounds early but my son is usually up around 5:30.

We should arrive around 11 at MCO and should be at CBR by noon. Quick lunch and then off to MK for the afternoon and dinner at Planet Hollywood in Disney Springs.

Early flights allows you to enjoy the day at the most magical place on earth!

Upvote 0

SyracuseDisneyFan

We're flying out of Syracuse, NY at about 6:40AM on May 11. We usually collect our luggage shortly after arriving in Orlando and pick up the rental car. We usually then grab something to eat.

Upvote 0

BraveGirl

We usually arrive mid-day, hang out at the resort (pool if it's nice), and then head to Disney Springs for dinner and relaxed shopping. I wouldn't go straight to a park on my arrival day, because I don't want to use a park pass if it's not going to be a full day. HOWEVER - I am planning on getting APs now and if that is the case, i could definitely see heading over to Epcot just for dinner and a stroll around WS.

Upvote 0

Schneewittchen

We usually check in at 1 pm and go to Disney Springs for a few hours. Get the kids each a toy from Once Upon a Toy, maybe get a little snack, look for new t-shirts or costumes at World of Disney, get a few pins from Pin Trader's and just wander a bit. If we don't go to Disney Springs, we'll do a monorail resort hop and visit the resort shops. That evening we'll either do a character dinner or dinner show to get into the Disney spirit. Maybe hit the Poly for a Dole Whip dessert. And then catch the Electrical Water Pageant before bed.

I'm getting so excited just writing about it.

Upvote 0

DiSnEyF@n

We usually check in at 1 pm and go to Disney Springs for a few hours. Get the kids each a toy from Once Upon a Toy, maybe get a little snack, look for new t-shirts or costumes at World of Disney, get a few pins from Pin Trader's and just wander a bit. If we don't go to Disney Springs, we'll do a monorail resort hop and visit the resort shops. That evening we'll either do a character dinner or dinner show to get into the Disney spirit. Maybe hit the Poly for a Dole Whip dessert. And then catch the Electrical Water Pageant before bed.

I'm getting so excited just writing about it.

I like all of this!!! Haha!

Upvote 0

SAV

I like to do the earliest flight out in the morning if cost is equal or less. I won't pay more just for an earlier or later departure, though.

Since we are not close to the airport, we do a stay and park at a local hotel that shuttle's us to the airport in the morning. It works out to only be around $30 more than the Airport parking, so we start the vacation a day earlier and only have a 5 minute drive to the airport in the morning.

The kids are always excited, so they do just fine.

Last time we flew down, we actually took a late flight out(had the best priced airfare and saved us $$ instead of an early flight), arrived at about midnight in MCO. Grabbed our rental car and stayed near the Airport for that night. Then we woke up and started vacation after sleeping in until about 8am.

Upvote 0

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
I drive - it's a 4 hour drive. Once I get to the resort and unpack the portable kitchen I drag to Disney every trip, I wander over to Disney Springs. We like to see a movie at AMC in one of the eat while you watch theatres since our AMC doesn't have this option. So I get to eat, drink and take in a good flick my first day. Then it's back to the room for some viewing of the inside of my eyelids in prep for days of parks.

Upvote 0

mbl219

This trip ,my husband and I, decided to arrive a day earlier and took a hotel room in Disney Springs for one night. A traveling day . First time since our honeymoon ( 29 years ago) we are going child free! the little extras like being able to take our time getting there and settling in has made the planning so much easier.

Upvote 0

disneygirl76

Carey Poppins - Nanny and Disney Enthusiest
What do you typically do on arrival day? We have two flight options. The first would land at 7am and the second 2pm. I like the idea of the 7am arrival to get a full day but I know this means my kiddos will be exhausted with no where to nap. I am just trying to get tried and true strategies to avoid burnt out after our first day. Side note this trip is a quick one Fri - Tues so we won't have much down time.

We typically tend to stay at the resort on arrival day. We make a great dinner reservation, usually a character meal, and then we are ready to go bright and early the next day. With a short trip like this, I would probably make the earlier flight though so that we could get the most of our time. If your flight arrives at 7 am, you should be at AOA by 8:30 am. Giving yourself an hour for transportation, a 10:30 am ADR should be doable.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom