Around the Resorts in 30 Days

MonorailRed

Applebees
Original Poster
Same MonorailRed time, same MonorailRed place. ;)

batman-robin-running.gif

Zweiland

CHALLENGE 23: THE MISTRO- @Zweiland's SUBMISSION

The Challenge
Challenge 23

The Mistro

And we're back to planning Disneyland Shanghai!

You know, I think Fantasia is a beautiful film. So many different scenes.

Interesting idea for a restaurant….

Some of you may agree, after some making a Fantasia restaurant for Challenge 4. Well, we're actually making a Fantasia restaurant.

But not as you may think.

You see, everyone is getting one different scene from Fantasia or Fantasia 2000 to base one restaurant off of.

Pick what'd you'd like, have some fun.
Also, I should
mention, the choices are first come, first serve.

Choose Wisely.

The Choices

From the original, Fantasia

Toccatta and Fugue in D Minor
Nutcracker Suite
The Sorcerer's Apprentice
Rite of Spring
The Pastoral Symphony
Dance of the Hours
Night on Bald Mountain and Ave Maria

From Fantasia 2000

Symphony No. 5 in C minor-I. Allegro con brio.
Pines of Rome
Rhapsody in Blue
Piano Concerto No. 2 in F Major-I
The Carnival of Animals, Finale
Pomp and Circumstance - Marches 1, 2, 3 and 4
Firebird Suite - 1919 Version

Due tonight at Midnight EST

The Solution
I chose Rhapsody in Blue for my restaurant's theme. First of all, please watch the video below if you haven't seen it recently or at all.

Now according to the info WDW1974 released, there is an area coming to SDL called the Left Block. Here's the attraction lineup.
LEFT BLOCK

(Food) Club 33
Avenue M Arcade
Il Paperino
Lucky Express

*shrugs* I have no idea what the theme of this is. I'm going to assume it's a city-themed area, and maybe Avenue M means Mickey Avenue? Il Paperino means Donald Duck in French, but I don't know why that would be in French. Anyway, if this is part of Mickey Avenue, a sub-land or side street based on something from Fantasia would be perfect here.

The facade will be a bunch of building mockups. And of course the whole thing will be in a "blue" tone.

Rhapsody facade.JPG

The whole theme of this segment in Fantasia 2000 is the contrast between the rich and the poor. This was obviously set in the depression area, so that contrast was a very large one indeed. My restaurant is going to reflect that contrast, and be split into 2 restaurants. One will be very upscale and fancy, and the other will be more like... a coffee shop.

RESTAURANT SECTION 1: DOLDRUMS CAFE

Rhapsody coffee.JPG

Did someone say a coffee shop?

Disney seems to be obsessed with putting Starbucks into their parks these days, and it's been a matter of intense debate on the discussion forums. It is almost inevitable that a Starbucks will make its way into SDL. But what if that Starbucks was unlike the others? What if it was... very well themed? :eek:

That's what I'm going for here. The interior of the shop will be decorated in blue... of course. The staff will wear blue uniforms, and while you can get all the regular Starbucks options, they will be served in actual small coffee cups-- not the big paper or plastic cups you get today-- unless you request specifically.

Also, there will be live entertainment on small stage. Usually this will mean a lone trumpet performer.

RESTAURANT SECTION 2: THE GRAND HOTEL

Rhapsody hotel.JPG

Ah yes, now this is the fancy part. Inside the hotel there will be an elegant atmosphere. "Bellhops" will guide you to your table, and the first thing you will notice is that the color palette isn't so blue anymore.

The food won't be quite as fancy as the decor, but still quite a step up from the little coffee shop.
http://www.ehow.com/list_7261756_1930s-party-foods.html

A jazz band will perform in the hotel "lobby" at certain times during the day.

AREA OUTSIDE
In the small area outside, there will be some detailed little things that make the theming stand out:

-An organ grinder with an animatronic monkey, selling popcorn

Rhapsody organ grinder.JPG

-An animatronic cat drinking out of a milk bottle

Rhapsody animatronic cat.JPG

-A little food stand where you can buy fruits and other snacks

Rhapsody food stand.JPG

-An animatronic figure of George Gershwin himself playing piano in one of the windows

Rhapsody Gershwin.JPG

POSSIBLE EXPANSION
A great area like this deserves more than just a restaurant. Here are some possible ride ideas:

-Elevator drop ride-- either a construction elevator or a hotel elevator. This would be a great new take on Tower of Terror!

Rhapsody elevator.JPG
rhapsody elevator 2.JPG

-Thrilling subway motion simulator ride

Rhapsody subway.JPG

jdmdisney99

Challenge 23: Bald Mountain

In the Gardens of Imagination, a unique restaurant resides. Based on the Night on Bald Mountain segment of Fantasia, the restaurant is set up as a rocky courtyard near the base of Bald Mountain. As in the short, ghosts and ghouls constantly howl up the ceilings and walls, spooking guests. Occasionally, like in the Electrical Parade, Chernabog appears at the peak of Bald Mountain, growling and pointing for his ghastly friends to join him. The menu includes many dark foods. If you want potatoes, they'll be purple ones. If you want pasta, it will be blue. The whole restaurant portrays a sense of spookiness.

MonorailRed

Applebees
Original Poster
Critiques

@Zweiland - I like what you did with Rhapsody in Blue!

I'm all for a very well themed Starbucks. Plus, live entertainment never hurts!

I like what you did with the Restaurant Section as well. The Details outside really makes it pop as well!

And the idea that you even included idea for an expansion of the area was great!

Overall, I really enjoyed what you did here! Great job!

@jdmdisney99 - Interesting choice for a restaurant! I love ideas for food choices! Really tie in to Bald Mountain.

It'd be cool, I don't know if It'd attract much guests though, with the whole scary aspect. But, other do enjoy that….

I wish you included Ave Maria Somehow.

Overall, Great idea! I just don't know how many would go to it…

MonorailRed

Applebees
Original Poster
Challenge 23 Results1st - 3 points - @Zweiland
2nd - 2 points - @jdmdisney99
3rd - 0 point - @ctxak98
4th - 0 points - @Voxel
5th - 0 points - @Matt7187
6th - 0 points - @MA Screamin'
7th - 0 points - @danjen2331
8th - 0 points - @Sam4D23
9th - 0 points - @englanddg

@Zweiland gets the advantage of 3 points!

The Scoreboard
1st - 33 points - @Zweiland
2nd- 31 points - @jdmdisney99
3rd - 27 points - @danjen2331
4th - 20 points - @ctxak98
5th - 14 points - @Sam4D23
6th - 10 points - @
englanddg and @Matt7187 and @Voxel
7th - 8 points - @MA Screamin'

MonorailRed

Applebees
Original Poster
Just so everyone knows, this is the last visit around the world. then we'll be settling at a certain resort until the Finale... :cool:

Challenge 24

Light's, Camera, E-Ticket!

hollywood-studios-icon.jpg

Welcome back to Hollywood Studios!

We're here for a simple reason.

Create an E-Ticket!

tumblr_lwvoq6Atq51qii6tmo1_500.gif

Here's the catch.

Get rid of what you want, but you can't have a Star Wars or Pixar related E-Ticket. And remember, can't have Marvel in the Parks over here. :D

Other then that, do what you want.

Due Tonight at Midnight EST.

jdmdisney99

Challenge 24: Journey to Oz
Once again, please listen to this music...
c6.jpg

This is a new dark ride leading to the new Land of Oz area of the park. It acts as transport between the real world and Oz, though guests may bypass the attraction for a trip down the Yellow Brick Road if warranted. The entrance to the ride is in the Streets of America, housed in a classic, realistic tent themed like the travelling sideshows of olden days (like Oz's group, the Baum Bros. Circus), though this big top and its inhabitants are completely in black and white. Remember that Guests then board ride vehicles that look like the baskets of a hot air balloon, using hanging vehicle technology similar to Peter Pan's Flight. The vehicle holds 6 guests, with 500 dispatches per hour. It's capacity per hour is 3,000 guests, so it is the nice, new family people-eater that the park needs.

*Note: Also found in the land of Oz would be an encounter with the Wizard in his throne room, a restaurant in China Town, exploration paths in the Dark Forest, and various shops and a musical show in Quadling Country/Munchkinland.

The ride first carries guests up, out of the tent. Suddenly, guests are whisked into a twister, created using screens and physical sets. Then, just like in the movie, we transition to color, as the Winkie Peaks loom before us. Abruptly we drop and seem to splash in the water, going on a wild ride. We then lift up again following the Yellow Brick Road. We are following in the Wizard's footsteps. We must make it to the Emerald City and stop Theodora from destroying the palace, and sending the Wizard to eternal grief. We go over/through China Town, Quadling Country, deep into the Dark Forest, and finally reach the city. We distract the Wicked Witch as the Wizard reveals himself.
Oz-The-Great-and-Powerful-Mountain.jpg

In a scene reminiscent of the film, Oz frightens Theodora into the skies. He commends us for our actions as we float back over a mountain top. When we go over the peak, all goes back to black and white, and we land in the tent once again. One of the major purposes of this dark ride is to evoke a sense of the film, but place the riders in the main role, like in the original Snow White's Scary Adventures.

We hope you choose to ride on a Journey to Oz next time you visit Disney's Hollywood Studios! See you then!

Last edited:

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Welcome to Pali-Ahi Mountain!

Pali - Ahi Mountain is an all new interactive experience located as Disney's Aulani Resort and Spa; here bring your imagination to life in the heart of a volcanic mountain.

Map:
r7qa9u.png

6j0h1x.png

Park Map:
op5u03.jpg

We will begin on the first floor. Upon entering the first floor you will learn that the building is divided into three 'lands': Discovery, Adventure, and Tomorrow. The first floor is more of an entrance and communal gathering place. The large feature here is Lake Kai which can be viewed from all levels. It also holds Around the Plate which is a mix of 25 quick service restaurants that serve world cuisne from 25 different nations (Brazil, America, Mexico, England, France, Germany, Sweden, Italy, Morocco, Russia, India, Japan, China, Australia, Poland, Norway, Canada, Iceland, Greece, Turkey, Spain, Israel, Ireland, South Korea, and Argentina) Next were off to Discover everything this place has to offer.

photo+6bis.jpg

Discovery:
This level is one with many unique rides and shops. The first attraction here is Tink in Tink; this attraction is geared more towards kids. They embark on paper mache birds and go on a journey through time seeing mans greates achievements and discoveries. These include: Electricity, The car, cells, DNA, The Eiffel Tower, the Train, Concrete (yes concrete), The Ocean liner, Plane, TV, and the Internet. Also here is a small little space where kids will be encouraged to create their own inventions so work spaces and 'tools' will be provided.

Next is Da Vinci lab; this area is dedicated to the inventions of Leonardo Da-Vinci. Guest begin their journey inside his helicopter design and then travel through todays world if his inventions were popular and created.

20,000 Leagues is the former WDW version.

Adventure:
On this level guest will be able to journey out into an un-known world. This area sports the same design as Adventureland in DL and WDW, but only holds two rides. These rides are World Bazaar and Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom.

World Bazaar is a unique ride that takes guest through our bazaar world. It starts off in the African Savannah and Galapagos Island, then Europe, Asia, North America, South America, and Australia. It showcases unique things in those areas from man made creations to nature made and the species in between.

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom is the same as the one in Disneyland

Tomorrow:
Welcome to the Future! This area takes after the planned Syfy City and creates a futuristic world for as all. The first ride here is The People Mover which will go over the entire level giving guest a different view of the world of tomorrow.

The next is Giz'e; this is a small shop that sells futuristic items and even gives guest a chance to try new technologies.

The last is Trip to the Moon. TttM is a futuristic trip to a moon colony; after visiting you head back to earth only to make a wrong turn and end up at Mars. There you will see the teraformation of the red planet to finally head back home. This ride is filled with laughs for the whole family and a unique view of what the future may look like.

Well that's all for now! See ya' next time!

This sounds like a very familiar concept! <grin>

I'm just kidding.

MonorailRed

Applebees
Original Poster
Critiques

@jdmdisney99 - I really like what you did here. Adding Oz to Hollywood was a great idea! Making the guests the main role really fits well with the whole DHS theme.

I really like the hot air ballon ride vehicles, I thought it was a nice touch! The Black and white to color transitions were neat also.

Overall, Great idea! Good Job!

MonorailRed

Applebees
Original Poster
Challenge 23 Results
1st - 3 points - @jdmdisney99
2nd - 0 points - @Zweiland
3rd - 0 point - @ctxak98
4th - 0 points - @Voxel

@jdmdisney99 gets the advantage of... Well, You'll see :D

The Scoreboard
1st - 34 points - @jdmdisney99
2nd- 33 points - @Zweiland
6th - 10 points - @

Last edited:

MonorailRed

Applebees
Original Poster
Challenge 25

Welcome to Disneyland Resort in California!

We'll be focusing here on a makeover to Pinocchio's Workshop at the Grand Californian.

3948913797_6dbb3057f1.jpg

You know, the Neverland Club is like, the most amazing club when your a kid. Ok theming and layout, Video Games, Great Food, ect.
neverland-5.gif

6851182258_bd3843bc22_m.jpg

You, contestants, get to build something awesome for kids to hang out in when they stay over at DLR.

0140-163.jpg

Change the theme and area to what you'd like, just make sure it fits with the Grand Californian.

Yes, you can look at the cruises for ideas. Just make sure it's different.
http://www./wp-content/uploads/2011/01/5383304286_b06303756626.jpg
disney-oceaneer-club.jpg

4_disney_s_oceaneer_club_pixie_hollow_08882_orig.jpg

Make those DLR kiddos happy with Mickey Mac and Cheese and an awesome atmosphere!

Due Tonight at Midnight EST.

Advantage: @jdmdisney99 , You just won Challenge 24, what are you going to do next?

Long title, but the advantage of it is, Not only do you get the choice of theming a kids area at the Grand Californian, but, the Disneyland Hotel.

With it's multiple Themes of Adventure, Fantasy, and so on, you can really go free-range with your theme.

disneyland-monorail-pool.jpg

Have Fun!

jdmdisney99

Challenge 23 Results
1st - 3 points - @jdmdisney99
2nd - 2 points - @Zweiland
3rd - 0 point - @ctxak98
4th - 0 points - @Voxel

@jdmdisney99 gets the advantage of... Well, You'll see :D

The Scoreboard 1st - 34 points - @jdmdisney99
2nd- 33 points - @Zweiland
6th - 10 points - @
I don't mean to be picky, but Zweiland didn't post anything, yet got 2 points. Just thought I'd point it out in case it's a mistake.
EDIT: It says 2 points for the results but they aren't added to his total score. I believe the results is just supposed to say 0 :shrug: Sorry if I'm nitpicking.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom