Around the Resorts in 30 Days

danjen2331

Challenge 1

What Does the Fox Say?

The Fox said “he he he he he” in Disney’s The Sword in the Stone. The fox in this case is Madam Mim’s temporary transfiguration as she and Merlin engage in a Wizards Duel… (hope that is not cheating...)

The Restaurant I designed will be situated in Paris Disneyland’s Discoveryland, and will be based on the movie The Sword in the Stone. It will take the place of Buzz Lightyear’s Pizza Planet, which does not go with Discoveryland's theme... This new restaurant, named Les découvertes de Merlin, will follow Merlin and his travels across time, and all the artifacts from the future and the past he has. Les découvertes de Merlin will be a Quick Service restaurant utilizing the same ordering technology as Be Our Guest in Orlando. There will be 3 main dining rooms: Merlin’s House, Voyages Extraordinaire and The Renaissance Room. Merlin’s House will be a recreation of the cluttered, messy room depicted in The Sword in the Stone. Here guest will be able to see numerous of Merlin’s Artifacts from the future. In the Voyages Extaordinaire room, guest will be able to sit in room that feels like Jules Verne designed it. On the walls will be all the imaginative Voyages he dreamed up and the overall look will be steam-punk. The Renaissance Room is themed after Leonardo Da Vinci and other famous Italian Artists and thinkers. Here guests sit in Da Vinci’s work shop surrounded by blueprints and actual models of his craziest inventions. In the Voyages Extraordinaire and The Renaissance Room, there will be painting of Merlin and his Owl Archimedes wearing the century specific clothing to fit with that rooms theme, among other movie tie-ins. While you wait for a table, guests will be able to wander through Halls of the restaurant seeing other artifacts that Merlin has brought back. The Food at Les découvertes de Merlin will be serve Modern European Cuisine with dishes named after different Scientist, Inventors, and Artists, signifying those countries’ thinkers and their influences on Discoveryland's theming and environment.
The Entry Way and Foyer of the restaurant is inspired by The Crystal Palace and will feature glass panels between teal and copper metal supports blending in with the Architecture of Discoveryland. The Railway will also pass through the Entry Way, overhead the guests, as it makes it way around the park.

Area Involved:
1.2.jpg

Rough Layout:
1.3.jpg

Matt7187

What does the fox say?

My idea for this first challenge would have a new land called Woodland World built in a plot behind Big Thunder. In this new land, there will be 3 new attractions and one restaraunt featuring one certain fox. Here are the three rides:

Splash Mountain: Since this park is a rare case not having a SM, it will rightfully receive one.

Bambi's Forest Romp: A classic dark ride through the story of Bambi.

Tod and Copper's Adventure: Another classic dark ride through a very deserving movie.

And now, for the crown jewel of the land, The Woodland Café. The Woodland Café is a state of the art sit down restaurant which could loosely receive comparisons to Be Our Guest. This fantastic restaurant would be inside, but would seem like it is out in the woods that The Fox and The Hound takes place in. During the day, you would have it light and cheery out, but at night, the moon would be out and stars twinkling in the sky. Around the restaurant, you would see woodland critters like the fox perusing around the woods, and sometimes right past your table! You would have stews and greens as the stars of the menu, along with specialty drinks.

Here is a layout of Woodland World and where it would go:
afdd3f6164d1c51c8ab8794ab255e061_zpsb398217d.jpg

Good luck to all of the other contestants!

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Challenge 1 - What does the Fox Say? - @englanddg

Our first challenge brings us here to design a new restaurant in Disneyland Paris. Replace what you want, put it in new area, doesn't matter. Pick whichever land you'd like! Quick service or 5-star... go for it!

But here's the catch... You have to design your restaurant based on a movie with a Disney character whose a Fox. That's right. We're talking movies like Fox in the Hound, Song of the South, Robin Hood, Pinocchio, even Mary Poppins. Pick one and go with it!

Marian's Restaurant and Nottingham Mini-Land

(Note, this is a 10 hour loop of the song, do not try and watch the whole thing! Just turn it on for ambient music while reading the proposal!)

Robin Hood, the story of a noble bandit who haunted the woods in Nottingham to fight for the rights of the common people and protect the good name and throne of King Richard, the benign.

This tale is extremely popular in the UK and France. So much so that it's the 17th highest grossing Disney animated film in France at 6.5 million euros (adjusted), just behind Rox et Rouky (Fox and the Hound, go figure!). It even beat out Disney box office powerhouses like La Belle et la Bete (Beauty and the Beast, the french version only, which is #26 at 4.2 million euros), and Mulan (English version, #19 at 5.8 million euros).

http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Box-office_des_films_d'animation_Disney

(note, look for Box-office General under the France section, about halfway down. That's the part that has the French box office numbers alone. It's an interesting list.)

Written and developed by Imagineering greats Ken Anderson, Ward Kimball and Ollie Johnson, and a catchy score by George Bruns (famous for "Yo Ho Yo Ho A Pirates Life for Me" and "The Ballad of Davy Crockett"), Roger Miller (famous country composer, and singer/voice of Alan-a-Dale), Johnny Mercer (co-founder of Capital Records), and Floyd Huddleston ("Everybody wants to be a Cat" from the Aristocats), it is a memorable and whimsical tale that is ripe with potential for inclusion in Fantasyland, with well developed characters and environments.

Marions.jpg

In keeping with this, the area near the Fantasy Festival Stage would be transformed into Sherwood Forest and the town of Nottingham! To enter this mini-land style extension of Fantasyland, Guests pass through a forest of natural trees interspersed with man made artificial ones to symbolize entry into the cartoon universe of Robin Hood. You can even find the Rabbit Family home nestled in the trees.

Robin-hood-disneyscreencaps_com-1949.jpg

If you put your ear to the door you may even hear Friar Tuck and the family whispering about Robin Hood and the oppressive taxation of Prince John and the Sheriff of Nottingham!

As you continue along the path, you cross a small stone bridge with a babbling brook and enter a small medieval city. Continuing the concept of muted ambiance, keep your eyes peeled on the windows and buildings for silhouettes of famous characters like Sir Hiss drunk in an alley:

(Note, the backstory and him drunk starts at around 50 seconds in)

Lady Kluck talking with Maid Marian:

tumblr_ldr0hlGaul1qeno54o1_500.gif

The Rabbit children (Skippy, Sis and Tagalong) and their turtle friend Toby, playing indoors:

kids.jpg

...and of course, the lilting ditties of Alan-a-Dale (the narrator / minstrel from the movie).

tumblr_mmh40ukrhp1s2589qo1_400.gif

Off to your left is the castle wall, guarded by two stone Rhinos. This is where the ride "La Fleche de Robin" (Robin Hood's Arrow) resides. The ride itself is a slow omnimover that takes you through the basic story and experience of the Robin Hood movie (similar to Snow White's ride), placing you with the characters, scenes and situations.

Robin-hood-disneyscreencaps_com-7683.jpg

The interior queue would be themed to the archery tournament, with interactive characters hiding around, such Sir Hiss (on the vigilant lookout for Robin Hood), Otto the Dog and Toby the Turtle to interact with children and adults waiting in the queue. They would utilize a system similar to Turtle Talk with Crush, so they would be truly interactive animetronics.

Robinhood-disneyscreencaps_com-4367.jpg

Adjacent to the ride would be a small shop called Little John's Wares.

Straight ahead would be a meet and greet where children (of all ages) can collect autographs and interact with a rotating cast of characters from the film, such as Prince John, Little John, Friar Tuck, Maid Marian and of course...Robin Hood!

disney__s_robin_hood___the_dark_ages_by_7theaven-d4vjip6.png

If you follow the catchy music from Alan-a-Dale, you will be drawn off to your right where you will encounter a friendly looking pub.

638af4e84bef11d14dbe012d7aa877a0_full.jpg

This is a place created by the kind Maid Marian for the people to join around a warm fire and keep the community bonded together. It is called...

Marian's

Maid_marian.jpg

The interior would hearken to a classic thatched roof pub that would have been common at the time and in the city. Heavy wooden tables and benches (not chairs).

9182376-medieval-tavern.jpg

In a large hearth would burn a real fire, and under observation from a Cast Member, children would be encouraged to roast marshmallows over it.

Medieval-Tavern-999858.jpg

(note, this is just concept...the deer antlers would be replaced with the crest of King Richard)

Drawing inspiration from English and French Pub Food, the restaurant will have some unique dishes only to be found here. The menu would consist of:

Appetizers

Nutsy's Pigs in a Blanket
Sausages wrapped in puff pastry. Served with a spicy aioli dipping sauce, a spicy english mustard sauce and a house made ketchup.

3099_020108_pigsinblanket_hd.jpg

Lady Kluck's Eggs
Scotch Eggs. Peeled eggs wrapped in ground sausage and coated in a mix of corn flakes and panko bread crumbs and fried until the center is cooked, but stays molten. Served with a spicy english mustard.

Prince John's Platter
A mixed platter of artesianal cheese, sliced sausages and meats and various types of crackers. Varies seasonally.

Mother Rabbit's Salad
A garden salad with a blend of arugula and romaine lettuce, with sliced radishes, shoestring carrots, grape tomatoes and broccoli. Your choice of dressing.

Entrees

Sir Hiss Stew
A spicy cabbage stew with fresh ground sausage, carrots and potato chunks. Served in a large wooden bowl with a side of freshly baked rolls.

The Sheriff's Shank
A large pork shank, cooked low and slow in a wood fire smoker. Available on it's own or as an entree with a side of mixed vegetables.

por188477LARGE.jpg

Tuck's Trout
Trout filet, grilled skin on with wood chips and served with creamed red potatoes and a side of mixed vegetables.

Robin's Roaster
Whole or half roasted chicken, smoked and seasoned with course black pepper, rosemary, sage and fresh salt. Served with a side of mixed vegetables.

Specialty Drinks

Friar Tuck's Ale
Spiced apple cider, served hot or frozen

Marion's Mead
Carbonated orange drink, made with fresh orange juice, sparkling water and spiced, served cold or frozen

Desserts

Otto's Naner Pudding
Creamy banana pudding mixed with fresh whipped cream and served with house made sugar cookies.

Tagalong's Treats
A unique take on smores. Cinnamon graham crackers sandwich dark chocolate and marshmallow and then wrapped in chocolate chip cookie dough and baked.

DSC01836.JPG

King Richard's Delight
Fresh vanilla bean ice cream served over bananas and covered with fresh whipped cream, melted chocolate syrup, and house made sugar cookie crumble.

Trigger's Pies
Currant and Blackberry mini-pies served with fresh vanilla bean ice cream.

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Challenge 1

What Does the Fox Say?

The Fox said “he he he he he” in Disney’s The Sword in the Stone. The fox in this case is Madam Mim’s temporary transfiguration as she and Merlin engage in a Wizards Duel… (hope that is not cheating...)

The Restaurant I designed will be situated in Paris Disneyland’s Discoveryland, and will be based on the movie The Sword in the Stone. It will take the place of Buzz Lightyear’s Pizza Planet, which does not go with Discoveryland's theme... This new restaurant, named Les découvertes de Merlin, will follow Merlin and his travels across time, and all the artifacts from the future and the past he has. Les découvertes de Merlin will be a Quick Service restaurant utilizing the same ordering technology as Be Our Guest in Orlando. There will be 3 main dining rooms: Merlin’s House, Voyages Extraordinaire and The Renaissance Room. Merlin’s House will be a recreation of the cluttered, messy room depicted in The Sword in the Stone. Here guest will be able to see numerous of Merlin’s Artifacts from the future. In the Voyages Extaordinaire room, guest will be able to sit in room that feels like Jules Verne designed it. On the walls will be all the imaginative Voyages he dreamed up and the overall look will be steam-punk. The Renaissance Room is themed after Leonardo Da Vinci and other famous Italian Artists and thinkers. Here guests sit in Da Vinci’s work shop surrounded by blueprints and actual models of his craziest inventions. In the Voyages Extraordinaire and The Renaissance Room, there will be painting of Merlin and his Owl Archimedes wearing the century specific clothing to fit with that rooms theme, among other movie tie-ins. While you wait for a table, guests will be able to wander through Halls of the restaurant seeing other artifacts that Merlin has brought back. The Food at Les découvertes de Merlin will be serve Modern European Cuisine with dishes named after different Scientist, Inventors, and Artists, signifying those countries’ thinkers and their influences on Discoveryland's theming and environment.
The Entry Way and Foyer of the restaurant is inspired by The Crystal Palace and will feature glass panels between teal and copper metal supports blending in with the Architecture of Discoveryland. The Railway will also pass through the Entry Way, overhead the guests, as it makes it way around the park.

Area Involved:
View attachment 37484
Rough Layout:
View attachment 37486
I LOVED this stretch of the imagination going with Mad Madam Mim! This is one of my favorite movies (right behind Robin Hood! <grin>), and outside of the sword in Fantasyland it clearly deserves more recognition.

I thought it was unique that you chose to go under the berm for the actual restaurant itself. Very creative!

englanddg

One Little Spark...
The Fox Den (La Fox Den)
foxden_zps95167005.jpg

For Challenge 1: What Does the Fox Say?, I decided to make a new table service eatery based on Br'er Fox. Disneyland Park in Paris is one of the few magic kingdoms without a Splash Mountain attraction. To fit the theme, a new Critter Country land will be built with an entrance from Frontierland. To do so, the Chapparal Theater will be demolished and a pathway built underneath the railroad. The land's main attraction would be a new, updated, 21st century Splash Mountain (Le Splash Montagne). Flanking the ride is the main merchandise location, The Briar Patch (Le Briar Patch), and a unique, interactive restaurant, The Fox Den (La Fox Den). It would be in a hill structure and will have a cave-like appearance. Circling the restaurant would be a brand new feature. It would be a track, hidden in brickwork, for audio-animatronics to "walk around" the room in (like Ben Franklin in American Adventure). Moving figures of Br'er Fox, Br'er Rabbit, and a cavalcade of other characters (like those in Splash) would make the rounds, with scenes including Fox chasing Rabbit, Fox getting stuck, and Rabbit leading the other characters around the room in celebration. Br'er Bear would be a large figure in the middle of the room. The menu would include basic meats like beef, poultry, and pork (Br'er Fox's hunted items) while also selling mice greens, salads, veggie wraps, etc. (Br'er Fox's foraged items). This Critter Country location would be such a wow factor that another attraction isn't needed (sans a few street performers/small shows within the thematic elements).
Exterior Example (behind sign):
View attachment 37497
Critter Country:
View attachment 37500
What did you use for your map layout? Is that just mspaint?

I like the unique use of anemetronics. It's so sad that digital tech is "taking over", and there's something to be said with a traditional method (and I think it has a better impact).

Mice greens sounds interesting.

Including critter country was your's alone, but others apparently had the idea about Splash as well...I was a bit surprised to learn that there isn't one there considering it's such a popular ride at the other parks. I wonder why? Could it have to do with weather? (seriously, I wonder why...)

Also, I could be wrong here...my french is not great...but, I think your translations are a tad off...I did love that you went that way though!

As Capt. Bart Mancuso said in Hunt for Red October "My Morse is so rusty, I could be sending him dimensions on playmate of the month." It's something like that.

Splash Mountain = La Montagne de Demarrage
The Briar Patch = Le Patch de Vigne Epineuse
The Fox Den = Le Taniere du Renard

I could be off...perhaps someone else has better French skills than I? <grin>

Awesome post!

englanddg

One Little Spark...
What does the fox say?

My idea for this first challenge would have a new land called Woodland World built in a plot behind Big Thunder. In this new land, there will be 3 new attractions and one restaraunt featuring one certain fox. Here are the three rides:

Splash Mountain: Since this park is a rare case not having a SM, it will rightfully receive one.

Bambi's Forest Romp: A classic dark ride through the story of Bambi.

Tod and Copper's Adventure: Another classic dark ride through a very deserving movie.

And now, for the crown jewel of the land, The Woodland Café. The Woodland Café is a state of the art sit down restaurant which could loosely receive comparisons to Be Our Guest. This fantastic restaurant would be inside, but would seem like it is out in the woods that The Fox and The Hound takes place in. During the day, you would have it light and cheery out, but at night, the moon would be out and stars twinkling in the sky. Around the restaurant, you would see woodland critters like the fox perusing around the woods, and sometimes right past your table! You would have stews and greens as the stars of the menu, along with specialty drinks.

Here is a layout of Woodland World and where it would go:
afdd3f6164d1c51c8ab8794ab255e061_zpsb398217d.jpg

Good luck to all of the other contestants!
A Bambi ride would be awesome!

jdmdisney99

What did you use for your map layout? Is that just mspaint?

I like the unique use of anemetronics. It's so sad that digital tech is "taking over", and there's something to be said with a traditional method (and I think it has a better impact).

Mice greens sounds interesting.

Including critter country was your's alone, but others apparently had the idea about Splash as well...I was a bit surprised to learn that there isn't one there considering it's such a popular ride at the other parks. I wonder why? Could it have to do with weather? (seriously, I wonder why...)

Also, I could be wrong here...my french is not great...but, I think your translations are a tad off...I did love that you went that way though!

As Capt. Bart Mancuso said in Hunt for Red October "My Morse is so rusty, I could be sending him dimensions on playmate of the month." It's something like that.

Splash Mountain = La Montagne de Demarrage
The Briar Patch = Le Patch de Vigne Epineuse
The Fox Den = Le Taniere du Renard

I could be off...perhaps someone else has better French skills than I? <grin>

Awesome post!
Correction-Mice greens was supposed to say mixed greens. For the translations, I fear you are correct. I'm actually in a French class but using Google Translate on mobile can be very risky ;)

Zweiland

Challenge 1: What Does The Fox Say? @Zweiland's submission

THE CHALLENGE

Welcome to Disneyland Paris!

Our first challenge brings us here to design a new restaurant in Disneyland Paris. Replace what you want, put it in new area, doesn't matter. Pick whichever land you'd like! Quick service or 5-star... go for it!

But here's the catch... You have to design your restaurant based on a movie with a Disney character who's a Fox. That's right. We're talking movies like Fox in the Hound, Song of the South, Robin Hood, Pinocchio, even Mary Poppins. Pick one and go with it!

Remember, Disneyland Paris is themed extremely well. It's beautiful really. Do something to that standard! And of course, Where you put it, make it fit, very well. Don't just stick Robin Hood in Frontierland.

You have until November 2nd at Midnight to create a restaurant to impress!

THE SOLUTION

LE HIPPODROME DE TOMLINSON (TOMLINSON DOWNS)

Long resistant to film adaptations of her books, P.L. Travers finally succumbed to the entreaties of Walt Disney, and the result, Mary Poppins (1964) is often considered the finest of Disney's personally supervised films.

mary_poppins_banda_sonora.jpg

Mary Poppins has a scene during the “jolly holiday” segment where a fox is being chased by hunting dogs.

Fox.png

Of course, that same segment is best known for the race horse scene.

fox.jpg

Therefore, I present to you… Tomlinson Downs!

Leopardstown-2-570x380.jpg

OVERVIEW

Tomlinson Downs is a brand new establishment in Fantasyland of Disneyland Paris. It is themed to a racecourse in the English countryside in 1910, similar to the one in Mary Poppins. The name of the restaurant comes from David Tomlinson, who played Mr. Banks.

The restaurant will be located on the northwest side of the park, just northeast of the Pirates of the Caribbean show building. It will replace a backstage area. (Disney will have to acquire a little bit more property to build the track portion, but it looks to be just farmland.)

Also, I included future space for a possible dark ride in the plans. The dark ride would be accessed from inside the restaurant.

Ye Map 2.jpg

EXPERIENCE

The main draw of Tomlinson Downs is, of course, the racing.

A_Race_Meeting_at_Jacksonville,_Alabama_by_W.S._Hedges_-_BMA.jpg

Races take place every 15 minutes. Usually, the jockeys are just hired performers, but during some special events, real races happen here.

Mary and Bert occasionally join in the race atop their famous carousel horses. This is the same kind of vehicle used in the parade at Disneyland.

5944173067_fb0fbac4df.jpg

There is also a family friendly form of “betting”, keeping with the age old tradition. If you correctly predict which horse will win, you will receive a free Fastpass for everyone in your group, for any ride at any time. If or when FP+ gets rolled out to DLP, that will make the betting system even easier. Only 2 free FP per person will be given out.

FOOD

The restaurant will serve traditional English fare.

Dinner

Sunday_roast_-_roast_beef_1.jpg

All meals come with one free side.

Fish And Chips
The best you’ll find outside of the U.K.! flaky white fish, hand battered and served with english chips, coleslaw and our homemade remoulade.

Corned Beef And Cabbage
Slow marinated corned beef and sauteed cabbage topped with onion gravy, served with spicy mustard.

Chicken Pot Pie
Homemade golden pie filled with chicken, leeks and vegetables in a savory cream sauce.

Duke’s Sirloin
A 6 oz. tender, choice sirloin steak, grilled to order. Served with mash.

King Richard’s Ribeye
Tender grilled 10 oz. choice ribeye on a bed of grilled onions, topped with herb butter. Served with mash.

Tea

bb_bakery_covent-tea.jpg

Finger Sandwiches
Assorted narrow, thinly sliced sandwiches crafted from white bread. Daintily filled with cream cheese and watercress.

Scones
Savory quick breads with fillings of cheese, raisins or currants.

Sandwiches
A selection of sandwiches including cucumber, egg mayonnaise with cress, smoked salmon with cream cheese, Coronation chicken, and Ham and mustard.

Teas

• Assam
A strong full-bodied tea from India, which has a distinctive, 'malty' flavour.

• Darjeeling
An aromatic and astringent tea from India, with a hint of almonds and wildflowers.

• Earl Grey
A blend of black teas scented with oil of bergamot named after Charles, 2nd Earl Grey, who was Prime Minister from 1830 to 1834.

• Lapsang Souchon
A Chinese tea fired over smoking pine needles, which produces a striking smoky odour and flavour.

Last edited:

Voxel

President of Progress City
Step in Time

Blending in with the existing theme and store front on Main Street, USA in Disneyland Paris, Step In Time will take guest into a whimsical dinning experience. Guest will walk into lobby of the Banks family how where the will be greeted by the server(Dress either in a stylization of Bert or Mary Poppins) and the quest will have an option of two Dinning room experiences. The Chimney and the Supercalifragilistic park. Step in Time will take the place of Walt’s - an American Restaurant.
walt-s-restaurant-exterior.jpg

The Supercalifragilistic Park

The park takes up most of the first floor and is looks like the park ripped right out of Mary Poppins. The crown of the room stands the Merry-go-round which stands in the middle, giving guest a film icon and a ride experience while they wait for their food.
Mary-Poppins-pony.jpg

The room seems to be alive with character walking around on the walls interacting with guest as they eat. Fox will bounce around the room giggling with guest and even joining them on the Merry-Go-round. (This will be done by the use of projectors and hidden screens). The server will come dressed in clothing that Matches the Mary Poppins look taking care of their every need. The final treat to this dinning room will be the serving penguins. Using the latest in Imagineering magic and robots, the penguins will make an appearance carrying out the dish for the server to present. These penguins will also make appearance on the walls to interact with the guest.
4pengsCapSm.jpg

The Chimney

The chimney will present another amazing dining experience like none other. Located on the second floor, the Chimney will take guess on two the roof of a London home where they will be treated with animatronics and servers breaking into song and dance with numbers such Step in Time, Let’s go Fly a Kite, Supercalifraglisticexpialidocious and a Spoonful of Sugar. These numbers will have the guest jumping out of their seats singing and dancing along with the servers. The servers of this floor will have a Bert like appearance to their wardrobe.

Another feature of the Chimney will be the flying Poppins. Guest will look for the Mary Poppin’s across the sky from new directions every 15 minutes with randomize movements and patterns.
mary_poppins.jpg

Food

The meal will be a mix of American and British cuisine emphasizing the relationship between American and English in the creation of the film. In honor in the work between P.L. Travers and Walt Disney, the menu will feature the Traver’s pages for english cuisine and the Disney pages for American.

The Step in Time will most be known for its Spoonful of Sugar desert creations. All deserts are decorated with sugar candy made by specially trained artisans.

Chocolate%20Cage%20&%20Sugar%20Dessert%20-%201280.jpg

COMING TO YOU IN 2015!

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Challenge 1: What Does The Fox Say? @Zweiland's submission

THE CHALLENGE

THE SOLUTION

LE HIPPODROME DE TOMLINSON (TOMLINSON DOWNS)

Long resistant to film adaptations of her books, P.L. Travers finally succumbed to the entreaties of Walt Disney, and the result, Mary Poppins (1964) is often considered the finest of Disney's personally supervised films.

mary_poppins_banda_sonora.jpg

Mary Poppins has a scene during the “jolly holiday” segment where a fox is being chased by hunting dogs.

Fox.png

Of course, that same segment is best known for the race horse scene.

fox.jpg

Therefore, I present to you… Tomlinson Downs!

Leopardstown-2-570x380.jpg

OVERVIEW

Tomlinson Downs is a brand new establishment in Fantasyland of Disneyland Paris. It is themed to a racecourse in the English countryside in 1910, similar to the one in Mary Poppins. The name of the restaurant comes from David Tomlinson, who played Mr. Banks.

The restaurant will be located on the northwest side of the park, just northeast of the Pirates of the Caribbean show building. It will replace a backstage area. (Disney will have to acquire a little bit more property to build the track portion, but it looks to be just farmland.)

Also, I included future space for a possible dark ride in the plans. The dark ride would be accessed from inside the restaurant.

View attachment 37525

EXPERIENCE

The main draw of Tomlinson Downs is, of course, the racing.

A_Race_Meeting_at_Jacksonville,_Alabama_by_W.S._Hedges_-_BMA.jpg

Races take place every 15 minutes. Usually, the jockeys are just hired performers, but during some special events, real races happen here.

Mary and Bert occasionally join in the race atop their famous carousel horses. This is the same kind of vehicle used in the parade at Disneyland.

5944173067_fb0fbac4df.jpg

There is also a family friendly form of “betting”, keeping with the age old tradition. If you correctly predict which horse will win, you will receive a free Fastpass for everyone in your group, for any ride at any time. If or when FP+ gets rolled out to DLP, that will make the betting system even easier. Only 2 free FP per person will be given out.

FOOD

The restaurant will serve traditional English fare.

Dinner

Sunday_roast_-_roast_beef_1.jpg

All meals come with one free side.

Fish And Chips
The best you’ll find outside of the U.K.! flaky white fish, hand battered and served with english chips, coleslaw and our homemade remoulade.

Corned Beef And Cabbage
Slow marinated corned beef and sauteed cabbage topped with onion gravy, served with spicy mustard.

Chicken Pot Pie
Homemade golden pie filled with chicken, leeks and vegetables in a savory cream sauce.

Duke’s Sirloin
A 6 oz. tender, choice sirloin steak, grilled to order. Served with mash.

King Richard’s Ribeye
Tender grilled 10 oz. choice ribeye on a bed of grilled onions, topped with herb butter. Served with mash.

Tea

bb_bakery_covent-tea.jpg

Finger Sandwiches
Assorted narrow, thinly sliced sandwiches crafted from white bread. Daintily filled with cream cheese and watercress.

Scones
Savory quick breads with fillings of cheese, raisins or currants.

Sandwiches
A selection of sandwiches including cucumber, egg mayonnaise with cress, smoked salmon with cream cheese, Coronation chicken, and Ham and mustard.

Teas

• Assam
A strong full-bodied tea from India, which has a distinctive, 'malty' flavour.

• Darjeeling
An aromatic and astringent tea from India, with a hint of almonds and wildflowers.

• Earl Grey
A blend of black teas scented with oil of bergamot named after Charles, 2nd Earl Grey, who was Prime Minister from 1830 to 1834.

• Lapsang Souchon
A Chinese tea fired over smoking pine needles, which produces a striking smoky odour and flavour.
Gambling! LOVE IT! Hahahaha

The tea part sounds very interesting as well!

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Step in Time

Blending in with the existing theme and store front on Main Street, USA in Disneyland Paris, Step In Time will take guest into a whimsical dinning experience. Guest will walk into lobby of the Banks family how where the will be greeted by the server(Dress either in a stylization of Bert or Mary Poppins) and the quest will have an option of two Dinning room experiences. The Chimney and the Supercalifragilistic park. Step in Time will take the place of Walt’s - an American Restaurant.
walt-s-restaurant-exterior.jpg

The Supercalifragilistic Park

The park takes up most of the first floor and is looks like the park ripped right out of Mary Poppins. The crown of the room stands the Merry-go-round which stands in the middle, giving guest a film icon and a ride experience while they wait for their food.
Mary-Poppins-pony.jpg

The room seems to be alive with character walking around on the walls interacting with guest as they eat. Fox will bounce around the room giggling with guest and even joining them on the Merry-Go-round. (This will be done by the use of projectors and hidden screens). The server will come dressed in clothing that Matches the Mary Poppins look taking care of their every need. The final treat to this dinning room will be the serving penguins. Using the latest in Imagineering magic and robots, the penguins will make an appearance carrying out the dish for the server to present. These penguins will also make appearance on the walls to interact with the guest.
4pengsCapSm.jpg

The Chimney

The chimney will present another amazing dining experience like none other. Located on the second floor, the Chimney will take guess on two the roof of a London home where they will be treated with animatronics and servers breaking into song and dance with numbers such Step in Time, Let’s go Fly a Kite, Supercalifraglisticexpialidocious and a Spoonful of Sugar. These numbers will have the guest jumping out of their seats singing and dancing along with the servers. The servers of this floor will have a Bert like appearance to their wardrobe.

Another feature of the Chimney will be the flying Poppins. Guest will look for the Mary Poppin’s across the sky from new directions every 15 minutes with randomize movements and patterns.
mary_poppins.jpg

Food

The meal will be a mix of American and British cuisine emphasizing the relationship between American and English in the creation of the film. In honor in the work between P.L. Travers and Walt Disney, the menu will feature the Traver’s pages for english cuisine and the Disney pages for American.

The Step in Time will most be known for its Spoonful of Sugar desert creations. All deserts are decorated with sugar candy made by specially trained artisans.

Chocolate%20Cage%20&%20Sugar%20Dessert%20-%201280.jpg

COMING TO YOU IN 2015!

I would kill to see the Penguin waiters come to life. My kid would love the chimney!

Very unique take!

MonorailRed

Applebees
Original Poster
Critiques

@jdmdisney99 - Interesting choice in adding Splash Mountain to Disneyland Paris! I'm giving you kudos, because Song of the South's animation is up there for me. On the other hand, I don't know how I feel about an entire "Splash Mountain" land being Critter Country, let alone one big complex based on one movie. I'd hope for more depth in Disneyland Paris, instead it'd just seem like a "one note" area, even if what is there would be done extremely well.

Now, focusing on the most important part of the submission, the restaurant. I love the idea of it being interactive. It just screams like you stepped into a classic run in with Br'er Fox, Br'er Rabbit, and Br'er Bear. The menu choices are perfect! Great job! But, being the Disney buff I am, I can't get over the fact that in the movie, Chickapin Hill is where Br'er Fox lives. On top of that, at the top of Chickapin Hill in Splash Mountain (Before the drop) you're supposed to be in Br'er Fox's Lair, where he's going to cook Br'er Rabbit. It could confused guests.

Overall, brilliant idea for a entertaining restaurant and area! But I felt like the place you chose to put your restaurant just didn't work with the overall story of Splash Mountain and the movie it was based on.

@danjen2331 - What can I say? You were as sneaky as a fox to use Sword in the Stone. I love the idea of the restaurant. The technology aspect like Be our Guest would be perfect! The different rooms are perfect fits with the Steamplunk area of Discoveryland, It sounds like a great restaurant and a perfect fit compared to Pizza Planet.

The one thing that bugs me is that there's already so much Merlin in Fantasyland compared to other Disney Parks, and having another Merlin inspired area in a different area of the park may be just to much. Some sources I've read say, in La Tanière du Dragon (The Dragon's Lair), The Dragon in Merlin's pet (Contrary to other's beliefs that it's Maleficent). Merlin l'Enchanteur boutique also reminds me of what you described.
DSC07574.jpg

Overall, loved the idea for the restaurant! But, I feel like it would have fit more in Fantasyland with Merlin.

@Matt7187 - I love the idea of Woodland World for a land. The attractions build on each other because of symmetry of the forest and southern(Fox and the Hound/Song of the South's) settings.

As for the restaurant, I love the idea as well. The changes in the time of day in the setting depending on what time you eat makes it feel like you are outside. The interactive critters in the restaurant sounds amazing. The menu sounds perfect for the Fox in the Hound setting. I could almost picture it at night like Blue Bayou. You made me want to eat there!

The only other thing I could ask for is something original for the land like Country Bears. It seemed heavily movie based.

Overall, Nice land, nice restaurant. Great concept! Left me wanting to know more!

@englanddg - Great area for the restaurant! It fits with the British area with Peter Pan's Flight and Toad Hall Restaurant. I love the ride concept, it's a good fit for the area. Themed up to Disneyland Paris standards and interactive to!

Now to the important part, the restaurant. A pub is just genius for the place! I was impressed by the menu. It kind of made me think of a fancier version of Gaston's Tavern. The only other thing I could think of I would have liked you to add was pie.

Maid_Marian_about_to_throw_a_pie_at_Trigger.jpg

Overall Great submission with a Great Restaurant!

@Zweiland - Love the concept in adding racecourse to the Park! It's interesting and unique. It seems like it's a perfect fit for that area of Fantasyland. I like that it can probably attract visitors more if they hold a certain event, plus there's room for a future attraction if the space is proven successful.

I don't know how I feel about the "betting". I like the concept, but if your only giving out 2 FP per person, that could be a problem for families and groups. I could see giving out things like they did for Year of a Million Dreams though.

Now, the restaurant. I love this idea! The food sounds like a perfect fit to the area. Plus, I'm a tea person, so of course, I thought the tea idea was awesome!

The trouble I have with this idea is acquiring the land, and that it's close to the Storybookland Canal Boats. If a race is happening, and dust from the course goes by the boats, it could make an unpleasant experience. Same for the restaurant.

Overall, I loved the idea! Great concept and the originality fits DLRP Perfect! But I'm worried about the dust.

@Voxel - When you said this would be on Main Street USA, I immediately thought of the Jolly Holiday Bakery at DLR. But when I read into it, Step in Time has enough originality to carry in Paris! I love how you divided the cuisine by P.L Travers and Walt Disney. Also, it seems like a great restaurant experience! The rooms just seem like a perfect fit!

I'm worried about the audio-animetronics handing out food though. When the Penguins move, they'll wobble, and if the special for the day is soup, you really don't want that to tip or spill, and definitely not before the guest get it. Also, you didn't mention a location on Main Street, which would have been helpful.

Overall, Great submission! You left me wanting to know more! But I'm still a bit worried about audio-anametronics carrying food just yet.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom