Around the Resorts in 30 Days

MA Screamin'

One more question: can we, let's say, "twist" characters? Like take character designs and change their storylines? Or do they have to stay true to their representation in their movies?

MonorailRed

Applebees
Original Poster
Challenges 15 and 16

or, as I like to call it.

The Mid Point Challenge

walt-disney-world-01-v1.jpg

Welcome back to the Magic Kingdom! A theme park I think you all know a bit to well.

mk-map-nov-2012.jpg

You have Main Street USA, Adventureland, Tomorrowland, and Fantasyland, which has just gone through some major changes.

And where our focus is today, Frontierland!

frontierland2-big.jpg

Yes, yes, Frontierland. When you enter, it's known for classics like the County Bears and the Mark Twain River Boat.

Then there's some big attractions on the other side. Splash Mountain, and Big Thunder Mountain.

Splash+Mountain370.jpg

walt-disney-world-magic-kingdom-2013-big-thunder-mountain-railroad-6.jpg

If you look at it, it a little sectioned off, don't you think?

Your goal is today is to take some of the most classic attractions in Frontierland and take them out.

Yep, take them out of Frontierland.

Gone.

Well, not really.

Since it's so sectioned off, you see, the real goal is to keep these attractions, while making a new land at the Magic Kingdom.

Yep, an entirely "new" land. With these Tony Baxter classics! :D

Crazy? Yes. Weird? Yes. How do you work in Big Thunder without Frontierland? I'm not entirely sure.

The rules are:

No, I repeat, NO Critter Country. I don't want a frontier mini-land or a Western River Expedition knock off. I want to see how far you guys can stretch this.

You can add what you like to the attractions to make it fit, but you can't git rid of the Mountains.

You can add other attractions and dining as well.

Use what space you want, except your land can't go past the bridge to Splash Mountain into Frontierland.

sef0.png

Good Luck. (Seriously, Good Luck)

Due Sunday at Midnight EST.

jdmdisney99

Challenge 14: Haunted Mansion Tokyo
1332.jpg

Welcome to Tokyo Disneyland! In this park, the Haunted Mansion is oddly located in Fantasyland, yet retains the Hudson River Valley facade from Walt Disney World. For this revamp,the facade will be changed to an old, decrepit castle as seen above. To coincide with the differing theme, some areas would change within. On to those variations...

1. The refurb of ride portions to fit theme - Some characters would be updated to fit the abandoned chateau theme, with some new knights, princesses, kings, queens, princes, monks, friars, beggars and more! In the ballroom scene, a new few musicians (lyre, harp, etc.) along with a minstrel joins the organist, playing along to an off key Grim Grinning Ghosts. In the graveyard scene, a miniature of the castle is added in the distance as well as updated version of the singing busts, now appearing as minstrels wearing helmets and hats. The narration would also be updated.

2. The addition of skeletons from Skeleton Dance - In one portion of the graveyard scene, just as the doombuggies are descending, these skeletons are added using a special effect accomplished combining physical AAs and projection. They dance to the music from their original cartoon, rolling their heads along and using their bones as drums, etc.

300px-The_Black_Flame_Candle.jpg

3. Just a bunch of Hocus Pocus - The edition of a Hocus Pocus scene is small and barely prominent,yet effective. It is added in the attic. The black flame candle sits lit in front of a full body mirror (appears lit using lighting/projection effects). Suddenly, like the evil queen in SWSA, Winni Sanderson dimly appears in the mirror,menacingly inquiring, just like in the film, "Who lit the black flame candle? Was it you? Ahahahahaha! It's just a bunch of hocus pocus!" Occasionally, she calls out for her book, which is lying nearby with its eye blinking and looking around.

4. The new Hitchhikers - In this version of the Mansion, the current, ancient effect of Hitchhiking Ghosts will be removed. In its place the lonesome ghosts will stick out their own thumbs for a ride, using updated AAs, similar to Florida. They will also use new digital projection effects to mess with riders in a cartoonist way, also similar to Florida and like in the original animation.

That's what I'd do in the revamped Haunted Mansion in Tokyo Disneyland.
We hope you choose to visit this Haunted Chateau in Fantasyland soon! See you then!

Zweiland

Sorry guys, I've had a really busy week. I'm dropping in to let you know that I am once again not participating today. I'll be back tomorrow for the midpoint challenges!

Sam Magic

Guy's I would just like to point out that both Ctax and Jdm have used the Lonesome ghosts after I used them. I understand I have no ownership of them, but as an imagineer I feel like my work is being taken in some way.

Zweiland

Guy's I would just like to point out that both Ctax and Jdm have used the Lonesome ghosts after I used them. I understand I have no ownership of them, but as an imagineer I feel like my work is being taken in some way.
The way I see it, there is no way to prove that they copied your idea. Therefore you are assuming that risk simply by posting earlier in the day. *shrug*

I personally don't even read other competitor's proposals before submitting my own. I don't want to be subconsciously or consciously influenced.

Sam Magic

So should I get penalized for turning something in 12 minutes late (which was that way because I was typing the submission) yet two members that use an idea similar to mine after I posted mine should not be?

Zweiland

So should I get penalized for turning something in 12 minutes late (which was that way because I was typing the submission) yet two members that use an idea similar to mine after I posted mine should not be?
The fundamental difference is that it can be proven that your submission was late (and "typing it" isn't really an excuse, you could have at least asked for an extension). It cannot be proven that jdm and ctx copied your proposal. It's on their honor.

As they say, innocent until proven guilty. So unless one of them confesses, I don't think @MonorailRed should penalize them.

ctxak98

I did indeed NOT copy your idea. lol. Sorry if it seems that way!? I am slightly confused I honestly haven't even read yours yet. I honestly just wanted them to be in it since day 1!!!! They are awesome characters, along with headless Horseman and Sanderson sisters....sorry! Plus @MonorailRed used them in the Challenge post so I figured it was fair game!

ctxak98

Challenge 13
For this I am choosing WDW and the ride will be reformed to reflect a Georgian party scene when something goes astray. A party member is missing and soon more disappear. By the end everyone is gone and the ghost move in. These ghosts (lonesome ghost) are the ones from the Mickey, Donald, and Goofy cartoon when they are ghost hunters. This portion of the ride will add humor and bring some old classics back in. The rest of the ride will remain unchanged. A brand new finale is brought in where we see all the former guest back at the part, but this time as ghosts.

Well that's all I have, thanks for reading!
again....how is this similar to my idea!? I am sorry but its not anywhere close to this!

jdmdisney99

I did indeed NOT copy your idea. lol. Sorry if it seems that way!? I am slightly confused I honestly haven't even read yours yet. I honestly just wanted them to be in it since day 1!!!! They are awesome characters, along with headless Horseman and Sanderson sisters....sorry! Plus @MonorailRed used them in the Challenge post so I figured it was fair game!
again....how is this similar to my idea!? I am sorry but its not anywhere close to this!
Exactly. They were used in the challenge post and our ideas have nothing to do with yours except for the characters. When I read the challenge post at first, I knew I wanted to use them in a new way to update Tokyo, so I put them at the end. Again, I have no idea where you're coming from, Sam.

MonorailRed

Applebees
Original Poster
Critiques

@Sam4D23 - I like what you added here. The Lonesome Ghosts are classic. I think it'd bring a bit of a twist to the party scene.

Overall, interesting addition!

@ctxak98 - Indidvidually, I like what you did here, with all the characters.

But your submission seemed a bit, cluttered with disney characters. It just had so much going on in the attraction, add all these extra story lines in the forest. It was a bit crazy.

I wish you would have told me which Haunted Mansion it even was, that would have helped.

Overall, all the characters were a little to much for me.

@jdmdisney99 - I thought it was interesting what you did here.

You really refurbed the whole ride, which, the new idea of a castle would fit well in Fantasyland.

I always thought the Skeleton dance would be a good call if someone added something to the Haunted Mansion! They just seem to fit in the graveyard.

I was a little conceded when I saw you added Hocus Pocus, but it really would be a good addition to the attic!

The Hitchhikers? Gone? I don't know how I feel about this. They're Classic. But, at the same time, they would fit well with the overlay you made.

Overall, I like your overlay, you added that good mix of Marc Davis humor and Claude Coats scary, where it should have been added to the ride.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom