Around the Resorts in 30 Days

jdmdisney99

The Hat Goes For a Walk
So, I'm on mobile at a Bon Jovi concert, so this is going to be quick. If I had the mission to move the hat, I would place it where it was meant to be...outside of the park. If they truly wanted to they could leave it as the parks symbol. It would be built on somewhat of a pedastal (actually a building with stairs and pertially below ground). The building would contain a free, no admission version of One Man's Dream, with entrance under the hat.

Voxel

President of Progress City
The Hat Goes For a Walk
So, I'm on mobile at a Bon Jovi concert, so this is going to be quick. If I had the mission to move the hat, I would place it where it was meant to be...outside of the park. If they truly wanted to they could leave it as the parks symbol. It would be built on somewhat of a pedastal (actually a building with stairs and pertially below ground). The building would contain a free, no admission version of One Man's Dream, with entrance under the hat.
Don't get shot through the heart because we will be to late.. Sorry had to.. Have fun!!!!!!! I am Jealous!!!! And Thank you for telling us where near you live :p. So Who says you can't go home.

danjen2331

Challenge 4

My plan will move the hat to a different part of Disney’s Hollywood Studios, into Animation Courtyard. There it will act as the focal point for that land and also act as a facade and entry way to a new ride which replaces The Magic of Disney Animation. The hat is a natural fit in Animation Courtyard as it obviously comes from Disney’s Fantasia, one of the greatest pieces of animation ever.

The Ride: Walt Disney’s Animation

This brand new ride celebrates the great (and sometimes forgotten) animated shorts created by Disney. The ride will be an omnimover dark ride, to add some much needed capacity to DHS, and will feature a preshow that retain many of the interactive parts of Magic of Disney Animation. Each different show scene will represent a different animated short created by Disney. You get to see Mickey steering the Steamboat whistling, to Pete’s much displeasure; Donald Goofy and Mickey struggling to catch the Lonesome ghosts, and the gang chomping away on corn cobs in Mickey’s trailer, among others. The finale of the ride would be from Fantasia when Mickey puts on the Sorcerers hat. This ride would prove to be a favorite among kids as it features many of their favorite characters, funny scenes, and fun music; transforming Animation Courtyard into a must visit at Walt Disney World!

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Challenge 4 - Sharing a Dream Come True - @englanddg

Welcome to Hollywood Studios! You're tearing down the hat! But wait, Your not just destroying it. We're pro-conservation here at Around the Resorts in 30 Days. In that spirit, you get to move the hat somewhere else in Walt Disney World, and you get to do something with it! Make it an icon somewhere else, turn it into a restaurant, a stage, just don't leave it in front of the Chinese Theatre!

Yes, you can empty the inside of the hat out, for more space, if you'd like. The only other rule is whatever you do to it, don't keep it a merchandise area. It's to big just to be for merchandise. Anything else, go crazy.

The Sorcerer's Stage

The BAH (someone had to call it that) was added during the "100 Years of Magic" celebration in 2001 to Hollywood Studios. Since then, it's been called many colorful names, but that is only due to the fact that it obscures the view from the entrance of the Park, hiding the Chinese Theater from view (which is a grand building).

The design itself is quite unique and the construction was well done. It still looks new today, even though it was installed over a decade ago and originally intended to be "temporary".

So, while the criticism is apt regarding it's placement, the structure itself is certainly Disney, and it definitely deserves a new, more appropriate, home.

Due to it's over-the-top architecture (around 50 feet wide and 121 feet tall), I feel that placing this in any theme park would either create line of sight issues or merely transplant the current situation (meaning, the hat would overcome any of the current theme / architecture).

Here are some ideas I played with to illustrate my concern...

Placing it in front of the entrance to Hollywood Studios (in red below), once you take into account the height of the Hat, means that the tip of the hat would be visible from the World Showcase in EPCOT, ruining their theme.

I came across the same issue when I thought about moving it to the waiting area for Fantasmic (in green below).

Hat Move Possibilities.jpg

So, with that in mind, I propose that it go to the one place on property where over the top theme rules the day, and actually fits!

Downtown Disney!

Hat move.jpg

Placed directly across from World of Disney where the current stage is now, the Hat would make a grand "weenie" (to use Walt's phrase), and could then take it's rightful place as a Park Icon (as opposed to replacing the Earful Tower, which Disney Marketing can't seem to agree upon which is the "Icon" for Hollywood Studios now...for the record, just like Han shot First, the Earful Tower is the icon of Hollywood Studios...deal with it <grin>).

The underlying stage elements would be dramatically improved to include new lighting rigs, false hydraulic floors, and a stage curtain made of blue steel (to hide the sounds of changing sets). Sets and props would be stored under the theater itself, and rotated using a hydraulic lift system.

Stage.jpg

These improvements will allow for more elaborate shows than are currently presented there now.

Additionally, popjets and water screens would be installed in the lagoon behind the stage, and lasers would be added, allowing it to host a fantastic new nighttime show called "Shop till you Drop!".

Ok, that really isn't the name of the show. Just making sure you are still following along. <grin>

During the day, the stage would host 4 shows, with one show repeating twice daily.

The first show (and the one that repeats) is "Phineus and Ferb, a Concert". Costumed actors would play some of their catchy P&F music for all to hear. And, as far as how it would look, well...that's pretty obvious!

The second show would be the afternoon highlight (think the "3p Parade" for Downtown Disney)...a special show called "It All Started with a Mouse", which would feature a story arc based around the development and history of Mickey Mouse.

A mixture of video projections (including interviews with Walt) and live action would be accompanied with acceptable daytime pyrotechnics as well as live actors and costumed characters would outline the development of Mickey throughout the years as a series of skits and songs. It would be amusing, but also a nod to Disney history, something the Hat represents perfectly. It would be along the lines of this (with more stage elements, a fleshed out plot and some songs)!

But, the best would be a new nighttime spectacular (the first for Downtown Disney). It would involve the entire lagoon area (as indicated on the map below). This would largely be a mix of World of Color and Illuminations. It would use lasers (emitter locations are orange dots below) and fireworks (launching area in yellow below) as well as popjets / spray arrays / water screens (blue lines below)

Nighttime Show.jpg

Due to this Fulton's would need to be moved to allow for show views, as well as Captain Jack's marina. Both moves are indicated on the map above.

This would also improve the restaurant demand for "Captain Jack's" (the restaurant at the end of the pier), which would be renovated to have a glass roof, and the menu updates so it's not seafood based (therefore, not competing with Fulton's). The new menu would be akin to California Grille, a mix of American Contemporary and Fusion cooking.

Otherwise, it would stay largely the same in position, but would allow for unique views of the nighttime show during dinner. The concept being to elevate it to Ohana's or California Grille status, when it comes to watching a nighttime show, thereby drawing DVC and regulars to fight for this unique booking.

I won't get into too much detail about the show itself, as that is not part of this challenge, but I do know that this will be worked into it somehow using the laser projections or water screen projections! (from 20 seconds in until 30 seconds in, and from 40 seconds in until 46 seconds in)

So, in closing, a fine new home for our dear BAH, which has blocked the view of many. Here it can thrive, and even come alive, and take it's rightful place as an icon of Disney. Downtown Disney doesn't have a grand symbol like this, and it allows Disney Marketing to push the Downtown Disney experience easier. The overall concept is to add more to DTD to turn it into a full day destination, with shows and entertainment, rather than an afterthought of someone's vacation.

And, I think the BAH, as unfairly maligned as it is, would serve this purpose extremely well.

Last edited:

Zweiland

CHALLENGE 4: SHARING A DREAM COME TRUE-- @Zweiland's SUBMISSION

The Challenge
Challenge 4

Sharing a Dream Come True

We've landed!

Welcome to Hollywood Studios!

Your going to make many, many Disney fans dream come true. Guess why…. Come on, I think you know what it is!

Your tearing down the hat!

Yes, THE HAT!!!!

But wait, Your not just destroying it..

We're pro-conservation here at Around the Resorts in 30 Days. In that sprit, you get to move the hat somewhere else in Walt Disney World, and you get to do something with it!

Make it an icon somewhere else, turn it into a restaurant, a stage, just don't leave it in front of the Chinese Theatre!

Yes, you can empty the inside of the hat out, for more space, if you'd like.

The only other rule is whatever you do to it, don't keep it a merchandise area. It's to big just to be formerchandise. Anything else, go crazy.

I doubt your unfamiliar with the hat, but here's a video to take a look at this thing!

Due Tomorrow at Midnight.

The Solution
Come on, admit it. The Sorcerer's hat wasn't that bad. Just, er... a little unfortunately placed.

hollywood-studios-icon.jpg

That's why we here at Imaginary Imagineering (IWDI) have come up with a compromise solution that will benefit everyone. The hat haters; the hat lovers (yes, they do exist). No one will feel left out.

Because...

The Sorcerer's Hat is being repurposed into the WORLD'S LARGEST parade float in an all new DHS parade celebrating movie magic!

Now, I know what some of you must be thinking. "No way! The folks over at IWDI must be crazy. No parade float has ever been that huge."

Think again.

Because the Silver Screen Celebration is no ordinary parade. The SSC is designed to break conventions. To do what no man, mouse, or Muppet has ever done before. To create an themed environment of the people, by the people, for the people. With liberty and justice for all!

...I must admit, I got a bit carried away there. Moving on:

The Hat
The "ears" on the side will be taken off, because they can't fit through streets. More support structure under the hat will be added, because right now the ears are providing most of the support. Finally, a small platform will be constructed around the rim for characters to stand on during the parade.

The Route
Here's the plan. When Star Wars Land comes to DHS, some of the walkways will be made a lot wider. How wide, you ask? Wide enough that a very, very large hat can fit through them.

Part of Echo Lake will have to be filled in to make way for the parade route.

And have I told you the best part? When the Hat float gets to the point where the actual hat is now, it will serve as the backdrop for a new fireworks show. Sorcery in the Sky, though the same name as the old version, will be updated with new effects to please today's demanding audiences.

Below is the parade route on a current satellite view of DHS. The start of the parade is on the top.

DHS Parade.JPG

The Parade
Here are the parade floats, in order:
  • Walt's Arrival in Hollywood (2nd biggest float)
  • Oswald the Lucky Rabbit
  • Silly Symphonies
  • The Wizard of Oz
  • 3D: The Final Frontier (sort of a "mockery" of the first 3D fad in 1950s television)
  • Alfred Hitchcock
  • Star Wars
  • Indiana Jones
  • Who Framed Roger Rabbit
  • Sorcerer's Hat (Mickey, Yensid, and da Brooms)
All floats will leave except the Hat, which will remain for the fireworks. After the fireworks, the hat will go back the way it came. It won't exit on the bottom of the map like the rest of the floats. That's because there simply isn't enough space.

The Summary
I don't think there's anything I haven't covered, so let's review.

The Sorcerer's hat will be turned into a (very gargantuan) float in the new parade at DHS. The walkways will be made wider to fit the hat during the Star Wars expansion. When the hat gets to the point where it is now along the parade route, it will be the backdrop for Sorcery in the Sky, which will make its return.

Thanks for reading as always, everyone. I really had fun with this challenge, because I actually do think the hat fits the overall theme of DHS, but not the theme of Hollywood Boulevard. I didn't think the Chinese Theater would be a sufficient backdrop for fireworks, however.

Looking forward to the results tomorrow!

englanddg

One Little Spark...
CHALLENGE 4: SHARING A DREAM COME TRUE-- @Zweiland's SUBMISSION

The Challenge

The Solution
Come on, admit it. The Sorcerer's hat wasn't that bad. Just, er... a little unfortunately placed.

hollywood-studios-icon.jpg

That's why we here at Imaginary Imagineering (IWDI) have come up with a compromise solution that will benefit everyone. The hat haters; the hat lovers (yes, they do exist). No one will feel left out.

Because...

The Sorcerer's Hat is being repurposed into the WORLD'S LARGEST parade float in an all new DHS parade celebrating movie magic!

Now, I know what some of you must be thinking. "No way! The folks over at IWDI must be crazy. No parade float has ever been that huge."
Think again.

Because the Silver Screen Celebration is no ordinary parade. The SSC is designed to break conventions. To do what no man, mouse, or Muppet has ever done before. To create an themed environment of the people, by the people, for the people. With liberty and justice for all!

...I must admit, I got a bit carried away there. Moving on:

The Hat
The "ears" on the side will be taken off, because they can't fit through streets. More support structure under the hat will be added, because right now the ears are providing most of the support. Finally, a small platform will be constructed around the rim for characters to stand on during the parade.

The Route
Here's the plan. When Star Wars Land comes to DHS, some of the walkways will be made a lot wider. How wide, you ask? Wide enough that a very, very large hat can fit through them.

Part of Echo Lake will have to be filled in to make way for the parade route.

And have I told you the best part? When the Hat float gets to the point where the actual hat is now, it will serve as the backdrop for a new fireworks show. Sorcery in the Sky, though the same name as the old version, will be updated with new effects to please today's demanding audiences.

Below is the parade route on a current satellite view of DHS. The start of the parade is on the top.

View attachment 37858

The Parade
Here are the parade floats, in order:
  • Walt's Arrival in Hollywood (2nd biggest float)
  • Oswald the Lucky Rabbit
  • Silly Symphonies
  • The Wizard of Oz
  • 3D: The Final Frontier (sort of a "mockery" of the first 3D fad in 1950s television)
  • Alfred Hitchcock
  • Star Wars
  • Indiana Jones
  • Who Framed Roger Rabbit
  • Sorcerer's Hat (Mickey, Yensid, and da Brooms)
All floats will leave except the Hat, which will remain for the fireworks. After the fireworks, the hat will go back the way it came. It won't exit on the bottom of the map like the rest of the floats. That's because there simply isn't enough space.

The Summary
I don't think there's anything I haven't covered, so let's review.

The Sorcerer's hat will be turned into a (very gargantuan) float in the new parade at DHS. The walkways will be made wider to fit the hat during the Star Wars expansion. When the hat gets to the point where it is now along the parade route, it will be the backdrop for Sorcery in the Sky, which will make its return.

Thanks for reading as always, everyone. I really had fun with this challenge, because I actually do think the hat fits the overall theme of DHS, but not the theme of Hollywood Boulevard. I didn't think the Chinese Theater would be a sufficient backdrop for fireworks, however.

Looking forward to the results tomorrow!
Oh, I laughed so hard. What a unique idea! GREAT post!

englanddg

One Little Spark...
the_sorcerer__s_hat_by_hailtothechief-d37a9ms.jpg

After much time and consideration I realized the Sorcerer’s Hat is already in the correct park, just the wrong location. Under my proposal I suggest moving the Sorcerer’s Hat 300 feet to the northwest, this will place the Sorcerer’s hat inside of Animation Courtyard. In doing this I will bring to life one of the greatest dining experiences available to the Disney Cruise Line inside the Disney park. Introducing the Animator’s Palate,a one-of-a-kind dining experience only available at Hollywood Studios.

This new interpretation of the Animator’s Palate will contain three main artistry rooms for dining. They will be call the Water Plaza, the Sorcerer's Room, and the Car's Room. Each of these rooms will pull from a theme loved by Disney fans.

The Water Plaza will be to pull directly from Under the Sea and will feature Ariel and her friends in a living dining experience that has the characters popping off the walls. Animatronics and projectors Will bring the characters to life in song and dance that will have children and parents dancing in their seats.

Cars rooms will be from little boys dreams taking taking families into a dining experience and Radiator Springs. Just love the opportunity to dine inside cozy cones and flows fuel stop among other cars themed sections.
5_12_DCA_40289-640x436.jpg

Animators_Palate_1.jpg

The final experience is the Sorcerer’s Hat, which will be underneath the beloved Sorcerer’s Hat. The night starts off as a black-and-white experience with drawings on the walls, of the night progresses the drawings will slowly come to life and progressed into full color imagery. Above the guest within the hat itself, Animatronics of the favorite Disney characters Will come to life and interact with guest. For instance Peter Pan may come down and start a conversation with the family at table 8 while Dumbo may come down and interact with table 17. This experience will leave guess smiling at the memories for years to come.

Having experienced this on the Fantasy (the picture you posted isn't the Fantasy's version of the restaurant) I can say, wow. Just wow. What a great idea!

This is exactly the sort of restaurant that would draw people to HS, as they would bookmark their day around it, and while I'm personally not a fan of multiple dining rooms (because I ran restaurants, and it's an operational nightmare to even propose that), in this case I think it works extremely well.

Loved it!

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I might edit this if I have time, but this is the core of the design
You know I don't have a problem with that! Edit as long as it's before midnight! <grin>

It's so much easier, I think, to edit after you can review the final post than through the editor....I try to get the majority of the idea out, so everyone knows what my content is gonna be, and then edit afterwards to pull in links to flesh out the idea, correct typos, etc...

To be fair, I don't read other's submissions until after I'm "done" with mine, partially because I don't want to pollute my theme with trying to compete with theirs, I also don't want to try and lose focus to "compete" if they have an amazing post (which, has been a constant in this contest so far), and mostly because I don't want to spoil the surprise of reading what others came up with!

But, I do think the edit feature is fair game (unless @MonorailRed disagrees) until the end of the night!

englanddg

One Little Spark...
The idea for my idea came to me in the middle of sleep last night. Thinking of the perfect place for the hat, why not Art of Animation, a full resort dedicated to animated movies! Here, there would be a sit downrestaurant dedicated to the wonderful movie Fantasia, called The Artist's Chophouse, which is reservation only, dinner only dining.

Facade: The facade for the restaurant is the newly relocated Sorcerors Hat, which would be home to the waiting area for the chophouse. Inside the hat, there would be shrubs, benches along the side, a check in desk, and in the center, a beautiful fountain with Sorceror Mickey in the middle making his famous stance.

Inside: The actual eating area would be themed to the Philadelphia Orchestra Building where the orchestra performed the songs of the movie. On a stage in the front, there is a live orchestra performing the music of the movie. But what makes this special is when the orchestra plays a certain song, certain things happen around the room. For example, during Tocatta and Fugue, you would have the beautiful lines going all around the ceiling and walls.

List of features:
-Tocatta and Fugue: listed above
-Nutcracker: performers dressed as flowers and trees dance elegantly around the tables
-Sorceror's Apprentice: the mops march around the room and it looks like water is rising on the walls
-Meet the Soundtrack: the funny line turned creature is on the walls roaming around
-Pastoral Symphony: you see the cute unicorn AA flying above your heads, and then lightning bolts (strobe lights) flashing down on the guests
-Night on Bald Mountain: A HUGE Chernabog AA shows up from the ceiling and undead creatures running around the room, then light comes, and all is well.
I know I skipped a few songs, but due to time constraints, a few songs had to be cut.

Menu: I imagine the restaurant as a show, with one group of people a night, with about 750 seats, about 200 more than Be Our Guest. The menu would be a pre set menu, with four courses (salad, appetizer, entree, dessert). But you get to choose one of four different options for each course when booking.

This is where I imagine this beautiful restaurant inside AoA:
d6eaa1cf03e57e554058f5939c5ae19f_zpsb3599104.jpg

All in that green area where I have a circle.

I hope you all like The Artist's Chophouse, and hope to see you all there in Spring 2015!
I love this, it's such a perfect fit for that area, thematically and in practice, and that area (having stayed there) really could use a better restaurant than just food courts.

Plus, who can stay no to steaks? :p

But, I think you have the best idea (outside of mine of course! I wanna win!)... <grin>

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Well...Since we are at Walt Disney World Resort right now...

To the Magic Kingdom I go! :D

tumblr_m7jauerHx41rv0uqpo1_500.gif

tumblr_m2w1tcUgeZ1rsjm2bo1_500.gif

tumblr_ma5yejC4DT1rv0uqpo1_500.gif

tumblr_m9ldovktuv1rv0uqpo1_500.gif

tumblr_m809i1biCU1rv0uqpo1_400.gif

tumblr_m7jlc45f8L1rv0uqpo1_500.gif

Ok, that's enough fun at the Magic Kingdom... for now.

We'll be taking off soon though for our next challenge, so remember contestants, Get R Done by Midnight!
I saw enough of Stacy to puke all over the thread here...

I like gifs, but sheesh!

englanddg

One Little Spark...
My proposal this week is going to be somewhat of a new and exciting experience. I decided to focus my idea on the hat itself, well where it came from that is. My project is based off the Brilliant Disney classic FANTASIA! Now I feel as though Fantasia is one of those movies that also does not get enough credit past the sorcerer mickey part. Sorcerer Mickey is an iconic character all over Disney but not the rest of the movie. Since the Great Movie Ride features Fantasia, I have decided to keep the hat in the park but move it to behind the Animation Building.

http://www.your3dsource.com/fantasiamickey.jpeg

The New location for that hat will be in front of and used as the entrance to the all new Restaurant, "The Art of Music Restaurant". This Restaurant is all about the beauty and brilliance of the famous music used in Fantasia. (I decided animation courtyard would be perfect considering the animation building features sorcerer mickey outside of it and it wouldn't be covering the Chinese Theater anymore.) So lets begin with the entrance.

The Building itself will be very sleek and smooth and in the center will be steps leading up to the hat and as you walk under it you can start to feel the music. As you walk under the hat use of lighting effects inside the hat and wind power and music will create a vortex like effect that will transport you to another world, the animated world of Fantasia. As you look up in the hat you will see projections of different clips of the movie swirling in a vortex like manor.

As you enter the Restaurant, you notice that the whole concept of the eating area is heavily based on water features, much like a mini lagoon. The restaurant is very Rainforest Café like with different themed rooms and different AA figures to keep the guest captivated. the 5 rooms to eat in are:

The Nutcracker suite Room- Which will feature the mushrooms, fairies and everything else

http://www.waltdisney.org/sites/default/files/fantasia_nutcracker_sfb_aug2012_fairies.jpg

The Sorcerers Apprentice Room- featuring mickey and broomsticks

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/_...s/d/d8/Fantasia-disneyscreencaps.com-2363.jpg

The Rite of Spring Room-featuring dinosaurs

http://lucien0maverick.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/the-rite-of-spring-from-fantasia.jpg

The Pastoral Symphony Room-featuring centaurs, horses and greek gods

http://www.freewebs.com/tombolo/Pastoral_files/image002.jpg

The Dance of the Hours Room-featuring ostrich's, hippos, elephants, and crocodiles

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-H-Hf0M7vS...VHG8lbQ/s1600/fantasia-dance-of-the-hours.jpg

These five rooms are all unique to there theme and every 20 minutes one room (alternates) will showcase there music and scene.

Apart from the musical experience, the ground is also coordinated with the music and lighting from underneath follows rhythm and patter that goes along with the music.

Also attached to this beautiful restaurant is the "Fantasia Experience" which is a short boat ride that goes along the outside of the attractions and seen at certain parts from the people eating at the restaurant (much like Mexico or Garden grill). the ride goes through the different stories more in depth with much more AA figures including Yensid and the Chernabog at the end of the ride. There is an entrance from the restaurant special for guests but you can also enter the attractions at any time from outside the restaurant.

http://i2.blogs.indiewire.com/images/blogs/reverseshot/archives/fantasia_movie_image_6.jpg

http://i2.blogs.indiewire.com/images/blogs/reverseshot/archives/fantasia_movie_image_6.jpg

Well that's my proposal so I hope you like it!!!!
Neat concept, I think! I loved the idea of a Fantasia boat ride! The only thing I missed...where in the park did you relocate it to? You seemed to start to indicate that "be in front of"...but then didn't specify?

Is my web browser acting up maybe?

I say, if you see this before @MonorailRed judges and if the others agree, you should clarify that, as it was specifically part of the challenge.

Otherwise, I thought this concept was top notch!

Last edited:

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Neat concept, I think! I loved the idea of a Fantasia boat ride! The only think I missed...where in the park did you relocate it to? You seemed to start to indicate that "be in front of"...but then didn't specify?

Is my web browser acting up maybe?

I say, if you see this before @MonorailRed judges and if the others agree, you should clarify that, as it was specifically part of the challenge.

Otherwise, I thought this concept was top notch!
Oh I see it now, move it in front of the animation building.

Yeah, color me stupid.

bth_mr-bean.gif

But I haz chicken wingz!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom