Around the Resorts in 30 Days

Matt7187

Challenge 3

Under New Management!

midy.jpg

Welcome to Shanghai Disneyland contestants!

TikiRoom.JPG

There's something about the Walt Disney's Enchanted Tiki Room that just screams Disney Parks, isn't there? Well guess what…. We're bringing it to Shanghai! Just not as you think…

I don't want any… I mean any Tiki's in this Tiki Room … Or the classic four birds that we know so well….

You guys have to do a show with singing birds, plants, and whatever other magic you can bring together for a musical show!

Same elements as the regular old tiki room. Most of the show should be suspended above you. Show be similar to a musical show, nothing to crazy. Guests must stay in stable seats, no Philharmagic elements here people. Just a nice rif on a classic. Hopefully with some new technology or a pre-show, but not required.

Since we don't know much about "Main Street" and "Tomorrowland" or even "Frontierland" there, you guys are allowed to use 2 lands for you new attraction, Fantasyland or Adventureland. Pick one and build your theme from there!

You can use different known disney characters from disney movies, if you wish.

It's Monday, and well Monday's are a pain. So I'll help you guys out a tiny bit with some pictures to get some ideas. Seriously, these are just ideas, use what you want!

82fba5b1.jpg

Be_Our_Guest.png

Cant-Wait-To-Be-King-10.jpg

Contestants, I need a fresh take on a Disney Park classic before the clock strikes 12!

Now, on another note, I'm going to see if this can add something for this competition...

The Winner of Challenge 3 will receive the advantage of points. Yes, 3 nice points!

Good Luck!
My one question: do I need to have animals? Or can I do it with something else that I will not share yet.

jdmdisney99

Doing these challenges seem more time consuming then I thought.
I completely agree. I didn't see the challenge until 3:30, as it will always be on weekdays for me. Even if it was a weekend though, I feel like we are being asked for too much in too little time. Or do we just turn in a concept like One Sentence Contest? That's what I did for Challenge 2, but others obviously had better proposals and I was told my ride summary lacked? So would you like a larger post MR? If so, I think further challenges should be tweaked a bit.

Voxel

President of Progress City
I completely agree. I didn't see the challenge until 3:30, as it will always be on weekdays for me. Even if it was a weekend though, I feel like we are being asked for too much in too little time. Or do we just turn in a concept like One Sentence Contest? That's what I did for Challenge 2, but others obviously had better proposals and I was told my ride summary lacked? So would you like a larger post MR? If so, I think further challenges should be tweaked a bit.
Agreed. If we are looking for massive proposals then a 2 or 3 days would be preferred. I mean sure some of these can been done in an hour but my last one took 4 hours to put together.

MonorailRed

Applebees
Original Poster

The point was really a "Think quick on your feet" contest. It wasn't really the content. It's the idea.

These ideas, the challenges. We could go in depth in for months. Because you can play around with it so much. I think that's what makes it tough sometimes. It's free range.

I look into the idea of the response so, yeah, Just turn in something like the One Sentence Contest.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
The devil is in the details. Jamming out a few paragraphs with a broad concept is one thing, and laying it on a map takes almost no time at all..

Getting into details of the concept is where the hard work lies. One thing I've noticed many of us have done (including me) is not focus on the challenge requirement alone, but rather go into a lot of detail on the mini-land's surrounding it as well.

This is probably a carryover from other contests which did require that broad a scope. For example, my restaurant I added whole mini-land, and spent at least half (if not more) of my time thinking about and fleshing out that world. I felt it was required because I wanted to shore up the concept and explain WHY I chose that restaurant and theme, which without understanding the surroundings, would have been difficult.

In fact, during the coarse of crafting that I had to restrain myself from spending a massive amount of time getting distracted on the ride details, meet and greet details, etc...

If you look at my post, about 1/3 of the post is about the restaurant, and frankly didn't take long to put together at all. The vast majority of the time was spent on things I was NOT asked to do by the challenge, merely informed that I COULD do it if I chose (adding a ride and mini-land).

Only one of us didn't create a new mini-land or ride, and that was Voxel (and he ended up winning that challenge).

The next challenge, I went into great detail about the ride itself, but that was strictly because of the limitation placed on me. I wanted to explain HOW I was using the characters. Writing up the general concept took about 45 minutes, with another 45 minutes or so of brainstorming beforehand, but doing research, formatting, cleaning it up, editing, finding pictures, etc...that took a lot of time.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that some of the challenge being open ended, because of the caliber of the imaginations it's being presented to...we tend to overthink them a tad as well and turn what should be a few simple sketches and a few paragraphs into massive (and amazing) presentations, when that is not what is being asked from us in this competition.

My two cents (I give them out a lot...at this rate I'll be broke by the end of the week!)

Voxel

The devil is in the details. Jamming out a few paragraphs with a broad concept is one thing, and laying it on a map takes almost no time at all..

Getting into details of the concept is where the hard work lies. One thing I've noticed many of us have done (including me) is not focus on the challenge requirement alone, but rather go into a lot of detail on the mini-land's surrounding it as well.

This is probably a carryover from other contests which did require that broad a scope. For example, my restaurant I added whole mini-land, and spent at least half (if not more) of my time thinking about and fleshing out that world. I felt it was required because I wanted to shore up the concept and explain WHY I chose that restaurant and theme, which without understanding the surroundings, would have been difficult.

In fact, during the coarse of crafting that I had to restrain myself from spending a massive amount of time getting distracted on the ride details, meet and greet details, etc...

If you look at my post, about 1/3 of the post is about the restaurant, and frankly didn't take long to put together at all. The vast majority of the time was spent on things I was NOT asked to do by the challenge, merely informed that I COULD do it if I chose (adding a ride and mini-land).

Only one of us didn't create a new mini-land or ride, and that was Voxel (and he ended up winning that challenge).

The next challenge, I went into great detail about the ride itself, but that was strictly because of the limitation placed on me. I wanted to explain HOW I was using the characters. Writing up the general concept took about 45 minutes, with another 45 minutes or so of brainstorming beforehand, but doing research, formatting, cleaning it up, editing, finding pictures, etc...that took a lot of time.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that some of the challenge being open ended, because of the caliber of the imaginations it's being presented to...we tend to overthink them a tad as well and turn what should be a few simple sketches and a few paragraphs into massive (and amazing) presentations, when that is not what is being asked from us in this competition.

My two cents (I give them out a lot...at this rate I'll be broke by the end of the week!)

I would agree with this assessment. With the first project I spent maybe 45 minutes whipping together a concept together I had be thinking about and Won, but with the next one I felt I had to do more and went spent 4/5 hours on this grand project idea with other attractions and aspects.

MonorailRed

Applebees
Original Poster

I would agree with this assessment. With the first project I spent maybe 45 minutes whipping together a concept together I had be thinking about and Won, but with the next one I felt I had to do more and went spent 4/5 hours on this grand project idea with other attractions and aspects.

That's usually my problem.

With the ICS Challenges, you usually get a bunch of time, and for me, personally, when I come up with an idea that goes with challenge, I often look at something that could build on that idea and go-

aladdin+jewel.gif

and I get sidetracked.

The artist in me can't help it :D

So, don't over think it. :)

jdmdisney99

The Wishing Well (许愿井)
Slide2.JPG

I have a special sneak peek for you today of a brand new attraction being built right now in Shanghai Disneyland at the Shanghai Disney Resort. Located in the Fantasyland Gardens area to the front of the park, this new show takes cues from the famous Enchanted Tiki Room from Walt himself. But don't think this is this same attraction, this is a whole new concept! The show is called "The Wishing Well (许愿井)".
Slide1.JPG
The show building appears as a new grotto similar to the one in the original park, sans the well and the figures.
6786567673_1a6a8a22c9_z.jpg

In fact, the beginnings of the queue weave around this lush area. The line continues into a small cavern in the hill, where the Magic Mirror from Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs interacts with waiting guests with screen technology similar to Turtle Talk with Crush. He answers guests questions about the kingdom, themselves, etc., idealistically giving people fortunes. After this, guests presumably pass "out of the cave" and into a castle courtyard. Seats made of faux marble surround the room, circling the famous wishing well from Snow White in the center.
wdaalec27_1.jpg

Once all guests have filled the seats, a live Snow White actress comes out and says hello to everyone. She states that she must get to her chores, cleaning the courtyard with water from the well, but we are welcome to stay. As she cleans, she sings "I'm Wishing". Bird animatronics come to life on trees behind the guests (thus also in front of others) and begin to tweet along with Snow white as in the film. A couple doves also rise onto the edge of the wishing well with a flying effect created using a small bar on the bottom of the bird. hey would lift their wings up and out of the well, sitting on the edge to sing.

After the Prince arrives and Snow runs away (to backstage area), the Prince finishes the song and wanders off, as an AA Evil Queen peers in through a window on the 2nd story of the backstage area. With the courtyard now empty, the walls amazingly change to a new environment, using projection technology. It is now nighttime and we are a short distance from Prince Charming's castle. Half of the birds that were previously on trees have now receded into the ceiling, while the other half (away from the castle) remain. We see and here the large clock on the castle strike midnight and we see Cinderella run from the direction of the castle in her servant's uniform. Prince Charming can be heard beckoning behind her, his voice fading in the opposite direction. Cinderella (a live actress) stops, out of breath and in a daze at the well, which remains. She giggles as the birds begin to hum the beginning of "So This Is Love"...

The Prince's part in the song is taken by a whistling male bird who rises out of the top of the well. Soon, Lady Tremaine is heard calling from the direction of the woods and Cinderella runs off (to backstage). The environment once again changes. The forested area returns, completely surrounding the theater, while even more branches appear above the well as an extent of the previous trees. Guests are now deep in the forest in the morning. Aurora's cottage from Sleeping Beauty can be seen in the distance. Then, Aurora (live actress) stumbles up to the wishing well. A new special effect can be seen at this instance. An animatronic owl drops down from the ceiling during the transition period, wearing Prince Phillip's hat and cloak as in the film. It is connected by wires and is more of a static figure that only moves it's beak, eyebrows, and wings. They proceed to dance to "Once Upon a Dream"...

The verse at the end sung by an unseen chorus will be a tune whistled by the birds as Aurora and Phillip walk off stage. The theater goes through a magical transition again, now a London courtyard at night, with Big Ben looming in the background. New birds (pigeons) have popped out from turning surfaces in the ground (ropes will be placed along the aisles at the start of the show so guests may not interfere. At this point, Wendy, John and Michael (live actors) spill out onto the streets and a Peter Pan animatronic floats from the ceiling. They request Peter to tell them how to fly, and lead them to Neverland, and they so wish they could do so. Peter exclaims that all it takes is faith, trust and pixie dust to get them to the second star on the right. Suddenly, the three Darling children decide to try, and using projection effects similar to those used in Cinemagique in Walt Disney Studios Park, they fly up into the projected sky following Peter Pan (the actors go through a seam in the screen backstage, while a projection flies up). New projections appear on the walls of pixie fairies buzzing around. As they lift off, the children along with the pigeons and the pixies bellow out the classic "You Can Fly"...

Cartoon projections and shadows of the group whiz through the sky until they land on the hand of Big Ben as in Philharmagic. After this, the room goes through a final transition back into Snow White's castle courtyard. Guests are ushered out of the theater as an instrumental version of "When You Wish Upon A Star" plays i the background.
That is just one of the brand new attractions being constructed at the spectacular new Shanghai Disney Resort. I hope you enjoyed an inspiring journey through dreams come true at The Wishing Well in Shanghai Disneyland!

Capacity Per Hour: 316 people
Length: 15 minutes
Shows Per Hour: 2 shows

And come on, who doesn't think this...
wishes.jpg

...fits in with this...

sdl934984LARGE.jpg

*Just to clarify, the small hallway at the bottom in the layout is an exit.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Darn you! I just got home and now I have to scroll quickly down the thread to skip over your submission (even though I REALLY want to read your concept) that way I'm putting forth my best effort instead of being subconsciously influenced by yours!

(I did note the Chinese translation in the title though, nice touch!)

I'll read yours later. <grin> Good luck everyone!

Voxel

Darn you! I just got home and now I have to scroll quickly down the thread to skip over your submission (even though I REALLY want to read your concept) that way I'm putting forth my best effort instead of being subconsciously influenced by yours!

(I did note the Chinese translation in the title though, nice touch!)

I'll read yours later. <grin> Good luck everyone!
Good luck This sabotage is beating me up.

Voxel

The Wishing Well (许愿井)
View attachment 37717

I have a special sneak peek for you today of a brand new attraction being built right now in Shanghai Disneyland at the Shanghai Disney Resort. Located in the Fantasyland Gardens area to the front of the park, this new show takes cues from the famous Enchanted Tiki Room from Walt himself. But don't think this is this same attraction, this is a whole new concept! The show is called "The Wishing Well (许愿井)".
View attachment 37718The show building appears as a new grotto similar to the one in the original park, sans the well and the figures.
6786567673_1a6a8a22c9_z.jpg

In fact, the beginnings of the queue weave around this lush area. The line continues into a small cavern in the hill, where the Magic Mirror from Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs interacts with waiting guests with screen technology similar to Turtle Talk with Crush. He answers guests questions about the kingdom, themselves, etc., idealistically giving people fortunes. After this, guests presumably pass "out of the cave" and into a castle courtyard. Seats made of faux marble surround the room, circling the famous wishing well from Snow White in the center.
wdaalec27_1.jpg

Once all guests have filled the seats, a live Snow White actress comes out and says hello to everyone. She states that she must get to her chores, cleaning the courtyard with water from the well, but we are welcome to stay. As she cleans, she sings "I'm Wishing". Bird animatronics come to life on trees behind the guests (thus also in front of others) and begin to tweet along with Snow white as in the film. A couple doves also rise onto the edge of the wishing well with a flying effect created using a small bar on the bottom of the bird. hey would lift their wings up and out of the well, sitting on the edge to sing.

After the Prince arrives and Snow runs away (to backstage area), the Prince finishes the song and wanders off, as an AA Evil Queen peers in through a window on the 2nd story of the backstage area. With the courtyard now empty, the walls amazingly change to a new environment, using projection technology. It is now nighttime and we are a short distance from Prince Charming's castle. Half of the birds that were previously on trees have now receded into the ceiling, while the other half (away from the castle) remain. We see and here the large clock on the castle strike midnight and we see Cinderella run from the direction of the castle in her servant's uniform. Prince Charming can be heard beckoning behind her, his voice fading in the opposite direction. Cinderella (a live actress) stops, out of breath and in a daze at the well, which remains. She giggles as the birds begin to hum the beginning of "So This Is Love"...

The Prince's part in the song is taken by a whistling male bird who rises out of the top of the well. Soon, Lady Tremaine is heard calling from the direction of the woods and Cinderella runs off (to backstage). The environment once again changes. The forested area returns, completely surrounding the theater, while even more branches appear above the well as an extent of the previous trees. Guests are now deep in the forest in the morning. Aurora's cottage from Sleeping Beauty can be seen in the distance. Then, Aurora (live actress) stumbles up to the wishing well. A new special effect can be seen at this instance. An animatronic owl drops down from the ceiling during the transition period, wearing Prince Phillip's hat and cloak as in the film. It is connected by wires and is more of a static figure that only moves it's beak, eyebrows, and wings. They proceed to dance to "Once Upon a Dream"...

The verse at the end sung by an unseen chorus will be a tune whistled by the birds as Aurora and Phillip walk off stage. The theater goes through a magical transition again, now a London courtyard at night, with Big Ben looming in the background. New birds (pigeons) have popped out from turning surfaces in the ground (ropes will be placed along the aisles at the start of the show so guests may not interfere. At this point, Wendy, John and Michael (live actors) spill out onto the streets and a Peter Pan animatronic floats from the ceiling. They request Peter to tell them how to fly, and lead them to Neverland, and they so wish they could do so. Peter exclaims that all it takes is faith, trust and pixie dust to get them to the second star on the right. Suddenly, the three Darling children decide to try, and using projection effects similar to those used in Cinemagique in Walt Disney Studios Park, they fly up into the projected sky following Peter Pan (the actors go through a seam in the screen backstage, while a projection flies up). New projections appear on the walls of pixie fairies buzzing around. As they lift off, the children along with the pigeons and the pixies bellow out the classic "You Can Fly"...

Cartoon projections and shadows of the group whiz through the sky until they land on the hand of Big Ben as in Philharmagic. After this, the room goes through a final transition back into Snow White's castle courtyard. Guests are ushered out of the theater as an instrumental version of "When You Wish Upon A Star" plays i the background.
That is just one of the brand new attractions being constructed at the spectacular new Shanghai Disney Resort. I hope you enjoyed an inspiring journey through dreams come true at The Wishing Well in Shanghai Disneyland!

Capacity Per Hour: 316 people
Length: 15 minutes
Shows Per Hour: 2 shows

And come on, who doesn't think this...
wishes.jpg

...fits in with this...

sdl934984LARGE.jpg

*Just to clarify, the small hallway at the bottom in the layout is an exit.

I like this idea! This is a great way to bring the style of the park into the attraction

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Good luck This sabotage is beating me up.
I'm sure. Not sure how much work you have put into it yet, and of course it's @MonorailRed 's final decision, but it is rather harsh to try and do a Disney attraction with NO disney characters (even though that's what Tiki Room is...but, they had a lot more than a day to work on it too!).

I'd be fine with the restriction being something like...no named characters, or characters who had no lines in a movie / theme park, or something along those lines.

That would still offer you a challenge, but give you something to chew on more in line with how the sabotage worked with me (in fact, the sabotage actually inspired me)...

Again, @MonorailRed 's choice, but as the owner of the sabotage, I'm cool with that if you (and she) are?

Voxel

I'm sure. Not sure how much work you have put into it yet, and of course it's @MonorailRed 's final decision, but it is rather harsh to try and do a Disney attraction with NO disney characters (even though that's what Tiki Room is...but, they had a lot more than a day to work on it too!).

I'd be fine with the restriction being something like...no named characters, or characters who had no lines in a movie / theme park, or something along those lines.

That would still offer you a challenge, but give you something to chew on more in line with how the sabotage worked with me (in fact, the sabotage actually inspired me)...

Again, @MonorailRed 's choice, but as the owner of the sabotage, I'm cool with that if you (and she) are?

Actually I found a loophole I think when it comes to disney so it isn't so bad. I don't know if I will have a full show for the readers to read. I think I am just going to write highlights.

MonorailRed

Applebees
Original Poster

If Voxel wants, I'm cool with it.

Actually I found a loophole I think when it comes to disney so it isn't so bad. I don't know if I will have a full show for the readers to read. I think I am just going to write highlights.

Loopholes work. Go around it however you'd like!

Voxel

Voxel Proudly Presents

The Animation Lounge

A journey into animation turns awry as guest follow Vox and his friends into a spectacular Musical adventure
(For music think similar to food rocks)

Standing towards the edge of Fantasyland, the Animation Lounge stands with a style reminiscent of Horizons which use to stand in Epcot. At the front/entrance of the attraction stands a giant Easel that uses projectors to display its logo with the attractions new character bounce around having fun, drawing, playing. The advantage of this new design will allow the attractions entrance easel to change instantly. The rear of the building slows down with a water running down the back that empties into the waterway around the Castle.
Animation_zpsc115da12.jpg

The Cast

Each character is a colorful blob with a name similar to a terminology found in animation. All the characters will also be used similar to how the Olympics use the mascots and merchandise featuring theses characters will be found through out the park such as the characters on It’s A small World and such.
124887797-colorful-blobs-photos-com.jpg

Red: Vox (Voxel) will be voice by Neil Patrick Harris, Is the comical and mischievous one in the group.

Lime: Poly (Polygon) will be voice by Johnny Depp, he is the most theatrical of the group.

Pink: Curvy will be voice by Beyonce and is the Queen of the group

Blue: Pix (Pixel) is voice by Hugh Jackman, is the lovable strong guy

Yellow: Matty (Matrix) will be voice by Tera strong, is a bubbly character

Purple: Cel will be voice by Emma Watson and is the voice of reason.

The villain:
11755_watermark.jpg

Shadow: will be voiced by Bennedict Cumberbatch. Think his Khan voice from Star Trek into darkness

Blueprint:
animation1_zpsdf1fb5ea.jpg

A) The entrance
B) The theatre
C) Exit
D) Just one of the locations Animatronics appear from
Pre-Show
As guest walk into the theatre they will see a stage with Easel sitting up there with a drawing of an early looking Mickey Mouse. On the walls are beautiful examples of Art work in progress of being drawn:
Disney_sketches_by_JessKat83.jpg

Nearby is a CM talking and telling quest where to go will playing games and making jokes with the crowd. The CM tells the guest that they have a real treat planned today and a great animator will be showing the guest the Disney Secret to their art. This goes on for about 3 to 5 minutes depending on how fast it is to fill the Theatre and other aspects.

Show

The show begins with a Cast Member walking out looking like he/she is adding the finishing touches to the easel to prepare for the Artist to come out, while doing so he trips and “spills” black ink of the canvas. The black starts at the top and starts to drip down, the cast member freaks and runs off stages. After running off stages the top of the theatre turns black and its drips down turning the entire theatre black (including the floor). After a few seconds guest hear Vox trying to get his friends attention, They are all sitting near the top and front of the theatre. The group notice the guest and welcome them and freak out because of the artwork seems to be missing from the walls.

As they freak out, they heard the voice of shadow laughing getting louder and louder. A big black blob descends from the ceiling. The animatoronic expands and acts blob like as it goes on about it has taken over the art and destroyed it. Manically laughing he ascends back into the ceiling.

The 6 blobs decide to through music and art they they are going to reclaim this lost art, in scenes that are reminiscent of Disney movies. Scenes include but no limited to:

From the front of the stage a giant rock pushes out and stands above the audience with Vox being held up by Pix singing Toto’s Africa mixes with Hold the line. During this the birds of the african plane drop form the ceiling laughing and singing along.

Half way through they are once again interrupted by Shadow who drops downs and start “shooting” black ink that “rains” down on all the guest (which is water drops). This causes the scene to transitions into an underwater scene where Matty, Cel, and Curvy began a medley to the music of Beach Boys Surfin’s USA and Smoke on the Water by Deep Purple.

During this scene singing clams, crustaceans and fish animatronic will appear from the walls and swim around above the guest until the water drains away and a jungle will grow up of the walls and floors and monkeys animatronics will swing around joining Poly in a song with the music of Here comes the Sun by the Beatles.

Finally after a few other scenes they realize that "recreating" this famous scenes that they are restoring them and defeating Shadow. After restoring the artwork is restored around the theater Shadow is defeated and disappears . With this, Vox stands in the corners whispering to the Guest that they should get out before we get in trouble. As guest leave the blobs will have chatter about the adventure and chit chat. Guest will walk out on either side and down towards the castles listening to the water flow into the waterway.

Stats

The Theatre handles around 550 guest and has a 4 minutes pre show and a 14 minute main show. The show can run 2 - 3 times an hours allowing for a total capacity of ~13000 to ~19000 guest in a 12 hour day.

Matt7187

A Swashbuckling Adventure
Welcome to the newest attraction in Adventureland, The Tale of Captain Kidd.

Facade/Queue: You will enter a dark, mysterious cavern with torches lit alongside the walls, and ancient drawings/words carved into them.

Show Experience: You enter a circular room with a live narrator in the middle of the room. Once everyone is situated, the narrator starts to begin the story. But when the narrator pulls out a cursed dabloon of Captain Kidd's, you hear from the ceiling, "Why not let me tell me own story, matey." The lights flash up onto the ceiling, and you see a skull and crossbones talking, which is Captain Kidd come to life. Shocked by the turn of events, the narrator runs out of the room, leaving you with the captain. Then, after a joke by the captain about the narrator, he resumes the story of his famed treasure hunt and his unfortunate demise. Along the way, there are projections along the ceiling showcasing things such as maps and pictures of his ship, the Rosa. I forgot to mention, within the story, he sings 2 original songs composed by none other than Alan Menken about his journey. At the end, he leads the audience in a rousing rendition of Yo Ho (A Pirates Life For Me).

I hope you like!

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom