Armchair Imagineering: Disney's Animal Kingdom

RSoxNo1

Original Poster
I've long thought of doing a blog for Armchair Imagineering, but never truly got around to doing it. This forum may be a more appropriate spot for it.

The approach that I generally take is identifying a problem and trying to ground any solutions in reality. In time, a thread could be started for multiple (more specific) topics, but I want to start with Disney's Animal Kingdom with the imminent opening of Pandora.

Some of the problems I list below may not be problems for everyone, but they're problems for me. I'm open to other suggestions for "Problems" and would love to hear the communities, "Solutions", but I will also offer my own.

"Problems"
  • Yeti broken on Expedition Everest
  • Dinorama is an eyesore.
  • Finding Nemo the Musical is out of place
  • The Tree of Life theater is under-utilized
  • The expansion plot North of Asia cannot be easily accessed
  • Kali River Rapids is too short
  • The effort required to get to Conservation Station doesn't equal the payoff.
  • DINOSAUR isn't as good as Indiana Jones Adventure
"Solutions"
Yeti broken on Expedition Everest:

There has been no public confirmation on what is actually wrong here. I'd love to see it working in it's original glory and refuse to believe that it's not possible. What I do recognize though is that if the attraction needs to be taken down for a prolonged period of time (6 months or more), I'm not sure that even with Pandora, the park can handle it.

I'd like to see the attraction taken down to not only fix the yeti, but also the light bleed on the backwards portion. I could also see them adding additional components to the attraction to further enhance the experience.

Dinorama is an eyesore/Finding Nemo the Musical is out of place
The simple solution here is to remove both things and replace them with something better. I would really like to see Australia represented in the park, and in theory, if Dinorama and the Finding Nemo theater are combined to form Australia the theme could work. However, I'd argue that re-working the area around Finding Nemo the Musical is probably short sighted. The show is 10 years old, and while popular, most of these shows have a shelf life.

Sticking with Australia for that area, I'd be happy with a Nemo/Dory attraction, and could even see lifting Turtle Talk with Crush from Epcot. I think any live animal exhibit for Australia could take up a smaller footprint than the African and Asian counterparts by virtue of the animals that would be on it. I'd love to see Koala's, and they would probably require an indoor/outdoor space.

With Disney's focus on natural features, the obvious choice would be Ayer's rock, integrated into the land in some way, shape, or form.

I could also see part of this area being utilized for a dark ride in Dinoland USA. Since I'm inclined to get rid of Chester and Hester's, this can be more in line with the Dino Institute theme and extend closer to the Boneyard. I'd like to see a family friendly dark ride that looks through more than just Dinosaurs, but other extinct animals as well.

The Tree of Life Theater is under-utilized
It's Tough to be a Bug is fine for what it is, but I think this space under the park's icon can be better utilized. At DCA, it's off to the side and used as a rotational space for the latest movies, and I'd like to see something similar here, except with Disney Nature. There's footage to draw on, and in theater effects that can be used in conjunction with upcoming films. Alternatively, an all new film in the Disney Nature style would also be great in that space.

North of Asian Expansion Plot/Kali River Rapids is Too Short/Conservation Station Issues
These three don't all have to be lumped together, but it's how I'm treating it. For me Kali River Rapids is fine as a concept, but it generally under delivers. Combine that with it's placement and I think the best solution for it is to remove it entirely.

What I'd like to do is expand the Wildlife Express train and add a new station in Anandapur. From a layout standpoint there's a few ways this could work. If Disney was looking to start 100% from scratch, they could also remove Maharajah Jungle Trek and create a new Asian walk through as part of the expansion into that North plot.

I'd like to see a larger scale water ride in this area, either a rapid ride like, Kali, or one that's less of a soak machine. I would also love to see a better realized Asian Safari on that expansion pad. It's not as big a space as Kilimanjaro Safaris, but a 10-15 minute Asian Safari would still be pretty incredible. The expanded train could also offer different views of the area as the Asian Safari doesn't have to be identical vehicles to Kilimanjaro Safaris. It could be gondolas, the boat ride, or something else.

DINOSAUR isn't as good as Indy
This is a tougher one, because it will be hard for this attraction to get to Indy's level. That doesn't mean that it can't be continually improved. When Ellen's Energy Adventure closes, take some of those figures and add them where appropriate. Enhance the screens in the background to add depth. Find alternatives to the dark sequences that lack theming.

spacemt354

Chili's
Welcome! Great idea with the problem/solution blog -- and a lot of stuff you mentioned I agree with as well are definitely problems with the park.

If I may -- last year, a few of us addressed the Dinorama eyesore, and Dinosaur not being as good as Indy. If it was every built, would probably need to be scaled down in size/budget ...but we created "Pangaea" which would add an "ancient continent to Animal Kingdom, and make the park more symmetrical with Africa/Asia in the back. Pandora/Pangaea flanking the front sides of the park.

Let me know what you think!

Pangaea

Introduction
Over 150 Million Years ago, the earth's geography was quite divergent from what we know today. In stark contrast to the varying continents, oceans, and landmarks, scientists and paleontologists have theorized that the continents of the world used to be one large continent, called Pangaea.

Pangaea, deriving from the Ancient Greek word "Pan" (Whole) and "Gaia" (Mother Earth) was a supercontinent that existed for over 100 Million Years before beginning to break up into separate supercontinents during the Jurassic Period. The break up of the supercontinent has been a period of interesting research for science as many have theorized the exact methods for the continental drift. Many have claimed that the earth's tectonic plates began to shift, while others point towards the supercontinent's arid interior and volcanic province in the Permo-Carboniferous transition near the center of the supercontinent. This is also a period of intense research due to the rich proliferation of dinosaurs during this period before the supercontinent's transition. The Jurassic and evolving Late Triassic Periods brought about some of the mightiest animals to ever walk this planet. With their fossilized remains still being uncovered to this day, exploring the past could still give us answers towards the future.

In 2023, Disney's Animal Kingdom invites you to travel back in time 150 Million years ago to witness the peak age of the dinosaurs, walk along the prehistoric alien landscape, and uncover the mysteries of the supercontinent, Pangaea.
------------------------------------------------------------------
Pangaea Map

Key

1 - March of the Sauropods
2 - Pan Air
3 - Top of the World Restaurant and Cable Cars
4 - Glacier Gulch
5 - Alice Springs Water Play Area
6 - Pangaea Expedition Trail
7 - The Good Dinosaur: A Musical

The map above articulates the variety of climates that Pangaea had. Entering from the Discovery Island side of the land you step into lush tropical rainforests and forestation of the terrestrial ecosystem, complete with authentic plants from the time period including conifers, ferns, cycads, and ginkgos. As also seen above, there is a forked pathway that leads to restrooms and additional seating for the Rivers of Light nighttime show on the Discovery River.

The shaded overhanging branches from Discovery Island entrance soon give way to the open and expansive land as a large 54 ft tall semi-audio-animatronic Brachiosaurus comes into view. At certain times throughout the day, the Brachiosaurus will let out a loud bellow, move its neck and reach for one of the nearby trees. The largest animatronic ever built, not only does this sauropad dinosaur act as an icon of the land, it also subconsciously informs guests that this is a living, breathing environment. Pangaea is alive and the Brachiosaurus is just one of several interactive elements in the land.

Transitioning further into the land the landscape becomes more arid and dry, emphasizing the mountain basin deserts on the supercontinent of Pangaea. Looking down, guests notice tectonic plate alternations even in the ground, as the cracks and crevices in the ground are hints at the future continental drift of the supercontinent. Guests can also spot some dinosaurs in the forestation as well, adding to the immersive environment.

Furthermore, from the arid mountain basin, guests gaze up at the sprawling Central Pangaean Mountain Range. A 120 degree curved mountain range that reaches a top peak of 173 feet... this is the heart of the land, and encompasses three of Pangaea's attractions.

Central Pangaea Mountain Range Blueprint

The mountain is divided up into three separate leveled infrastructures.

Level 1 - March of the Sauropods - D-ticket Dark Ride
Level 2 - Pan Am - Pterodactyl E-Ticket
Level 3 - Top of the World Restaurant, Cable Car dispatch, Observation Deck.

Level 1 - March of the Sauropods
Backstory

When Countdown to Extinction opened in 1998 with Disney's Animal Kingdom, it was met with mixed reviews. With some praising the technological achievements of the audio-animatronics, others criticized the dark tone and essentially the same ride pathway as Indiana Jones in Disneyland. After 20+ years in operation, the transition of Dinoland USA to Pangaea left a timeline gap in the narrative, as the Cretaceous Period (which the ride takes place in) was long after the time of the Jurassic Period. With an emphasis on the majesty of dinosaurs and the natural environment of Pangaea, the attraction has been remodeled and rebranded as March of the Sauropods.

Sauropods, deriving from the Greek root meaning "lizard feet," were some of the largest dinosaurs to ever walk the earth. Known for their long necks and enormous size, sauropods were herbivores that lived throughout the Jurassic Period, leading to a varied and disperse family tree of these dinosaurs. However in today's age, paleontologists struggle to find full fossilized remnants of these massive dinosaurs which leads to difficulty in understanding their movements, tendencies, and more. This could be due to the continental drift, volcanic exhaustion, among others. Which is why on Pangaea, you'll be able to explore the wonder of the sauropods in their natural habitat before the drift that separated Pangaea, to learn more about there indigenous state.

Queue

As you meander through the arid desert setting and approach the base of the Central Pangaean Mountains you snake around the lush forestation below and walk under the sign for the attraction. March of the Sauropods and the flying coaster/dark ride hybrid, Gondwana, both originate from this location, with March of the Sauropods veering to the right, and Gondwana to the left.

The forest is ripe with jungle sounds, as you can hear rushing water in the distance, and crickets chirping. In the distance you can hear the faint but noticeable bellow of a sauropod and the sonic boom of its feet stomping on the ground, probably after reaching for a tree branch.

You then come to the mountain base camp set up by the Pangaean Conservation Association (PCA) which spans across the two main attractions of the land. As you enter the base camp you see several scientific documents, notes, research equipment, and gear assorted throughout the camp from prior explorers observing the sauropods. Dr. Zoey Chase, a Paleobotonist, is one of the most prominent figures in the base camp, with her discoveries, drawings, and results lining the walls.

The queue drops off in a loading dock where you will go on an adventure through the Pangaean forest and landscape to discover the secrets of the sauropods.

Vehicle Design
To create a more family friendly attraction without the 40 inch height requirement that Dinosaur had, the new rovers will have a much tamer terrain to travel along. Using the same rovers as Dinosaur, with the 3x4 seating arrangement, the propulsions of the Jurassic terrain will be reduced and slowed to limit the jerking motions of the vehicle and enabled the height requirement to be eliminated.

Similar to Kilimanjaro Safari, there will be a few bumps along the way towards the end of the journey to simulate the Jurassic terrain, but nothing too drastic. The ride vehicles also run on an LPS track around the indoor show building built into Level 1 of the Mountain range.

Ride-Through
You board your vehicles at dawn in an enclosed setting, when most of the sauropods are out feeding, providing the opportune time to see the animals, with Dr. Chase narrating your adventure through an on-board radio.

Scene 1 - Datousaurus
As your rover turns towards a meadow on the right hand side you see a Dantousaurus.

"The Dantousaurus at around 50 feet long, was a herbivore with an abnormally large head for sauropods. While a full fossilized structure has not been found, its noted that the elongated vertebrae and enlarged head/mouth of the Dantosaurus could have been utilized for a unique eating strategy, aiming for trees of varying heights which kept it out of competition with the rest of the larger sauropods."

The Dantosaurus AA reaches its neck around to a tree of medium height and bellows.​

Scene 2 - Omeisaurus
You round the corner and see another sauropod feasting on the same tree, called an Omeisaurus.

"The Omeisaurus, another unique sauropod in that its fossilized remnants have still not fully been recovered. One of the larger sauropods, up to 66 feet in length, the omeisaurus was prominent since Middle Jurassic Period on Pangaea."

You drive passed the massive tale of the omeisaurus which sways towards your vehicle and back.

Scene 3 - Rough Terrain
You approach the continuation of the track, however a downed tree in front of the road with a cracked crevice blocks your path.

"Hopefully we won't have to do any evasive maneuvers on this trip, let's head to the coastline and Panthalassa to the larger sauropods"

You head down an incline towards the basement of the show building and into a new environment where you can see the large ocean of Panthalassa reflected in the background to the left and the coastline to the right.

Scene 4 - The Patagosaurus Herd

The most complex audio animatronic and thematically driven seen in the attraction, the patagosaurus herd of five large, dinosaurs is seen towering over the vehicles in a 50 foot atrium complex of the show building, as jungle music swells and you see the patagosaurus feeding.

"Here we can gaze in awe at the majesty of the patagosaurus herd, one of the most intricately studied anatomical dinosaurs, with most of the post-cranial skeleton having been studied and pieced together over the ages. With many anatomical elements assisting its strong vertebrae and physique, these were some of the most powerful beings to ever walk the earth."

Scene 5 - Kota Formation and the Barapasaurus
Traveling into a rocky terrain you approach what is now in northern India known as the Kota Formation, however on Pangaea in the Early Jurassic Period it was known as the location for the Barapasaurus.

"One of the earliest known sauropods, this dino is known for having bones protruding out of its spinal vertebrae, possibly to ward off any intruders or threats. However, given its enormous size, those threats probably wouldn't stand a chance"

Scene 6 - Earthquake
A rumbling below your vehicles makes the vehicles sway and the roadway in front of you cracks open, leaving your vehicle to veer towards the right to avoid the crevice. Molten lava can be seen in the crack to the left as you pass by.

More cracking can be hear all around you as Pangaea begins to slowly break apart.

"I think it might be time to head back to PCA"

Scene 7 - Trapped
Your vehicle gets stuck in a crack in the road and is having trouble getting out. The wind picks up around you and "smellitzers" pump in the "Rome burning scent" (from Spaceship Earth) into the area as the day turns to dusk in the environment.

"We might be in trouble, we'll try to get you out of there hang on"

With a powerful burst combined with another earthquake your vehicle escapes the trap and continues on.

"The tectonic plates are beginning to shift, though we might need to try this some other time, looks like we cut it too short."

Scene 8 - Final Encounter
You see a volcanic eruption in the background and fear it might be heading your way. The earth shakes once more, but now the smaller baby sauropods traveling in a separate herd are scene trying to walk the opposite way of the magma. A fallen tree blocks your way once more and it looks like no escape.

However, on the left hand side, a giant brachiosaurus neck takes your vehicle and pushes it up and away from the tree. Your vehicle ascends up to the unload area being pushed by the giant neck of the brachiosaurus, and as you enter the unload area on the backside of the PCA base camp you hear the sonic boom of the brachiosaurus feet and the bellow of the gentle giant.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Level 2 - Pan Air
Overview

To explore the natural wonders of the highest peaks and tallest mountains of Pangaea, the Pangaea Conservation Association designed mechanical flying vehicles designed to camouflage with the dinosaurs of the air, most notably pterodactyls. To soar along with the magnificent creatures of the sky, you board these transport vehicles and explore Pangaea's natural settings as well as some of the most visually astounding wonders of the supercontinent.

Queue
Similar to the queue for March of the Sauropods, the queue begins at the base of the Central Pangaean Mountains as you trek through a jungle-like setting to reach the PCA base camp. However this time you go up an elevated lift inside the mountain and base camp to the 2nd Level where you board your ride vehicles either on the "upper deck" or "lower deck"

Ride Vehicle Design

An entirely new ride system patented by Disney, AVTs (Aeronautic Vehicle Transport) incorporates a rotating cylinder in the center of the train that allows the side seats to sway out for certain dark ride scenes as well as the novelty of having the seats off the sides of a roller coaster track.

This provides the most viscerally complex ride experience, as guests soar over Pangaea, through natural terrains and its eclectic biomes, without noticing the roller coaster track, added to the illusion.

The ride vehicle will enable a high capacity as well, with 4 decks of seating per car, and 5 cars per train. Each deck will have 3 passengers. Therefore, each train will be able to hold 12 guests per car, and 60 guests per train.

With the roller coaster track in the center of the cylinder, the cars themselves are floorless, and many of the scenes in Pan Air will incorporate scenes below you (ala Peter Pan's Flight ) but on a more massive scale.

There is also an on-board audio bass built within each car to play quiet yet thematic background music throughout the attraction.

Ride-Through
This ride will be mostly indoors using a variety of authentic sets, scenes, and visual illusions. Part of the ride will even pass over the March of the Sauropods attraction. All of the indoor dark ride scenes will take place on the second level of the Pangaean Mountain interior, with the final climax roller coaster portion of the attraction blasting out of the mountain and in the open air around the back area of the Pangaean landscape with views of Animal Kingdom park.
You ride through a cave in the Pangaean Mountains and see the ancient rock formations from a prehistoric world. On the interior of the mountain, you can notice cracks in the rock and some magma forming through the cracks in the rocks. Your cars also turn to either side of the track for a better perspective on the formations.

You then notice that the floor underneath you is gone and you soar over the Patagosaurus Herd scene from March of the Sauropods, as seen through a reflective ceiling mirror. Soaring 50 feet above this you get a different perspective on Pangaea and the natural wonders it incorporates.

You soar in the next environment that is an arid dessert. Scarce forestation is apparent and the air in the interior of the scene feels dry. You see the wind blowing in the distance and smaller dinosaurs running for food or water. This is a scene that is not only themed on the sides of the ride vehicle, but also below as you as the wind swirls sand around by your feet.

The ride then reaches the polar cap and you see glaciers all around. Your vehicles sway from hitting an iceberg in the water as you glide along in this icy terrain, noticing a few aquatic dinosaurs in their natural habitat.

Flying back into the center of the supercontinent, you fly back into the Central Pangaean Mountain and begin to incline slowly. Around you are projection screens that show dozens if not hundreds of pterodactyls flying all around you up the mountain side. You feel a sudden bust of energy, and see a light at the top of the mountain, as an LIM section of the track pumps your train up the mountain.

You fly up with the birds and out of the mountain as "The Egg Travels" song from the Disney film Dinosaur plays on your on-board audio.

Out of the mountain you soar 110 feet above Pangaea and Disney's Animal Kingdom. You see the large AA Brachiosaurus to your right as you tilt downwards and behind the Pangaean Mountains. As you drop you curve around the mountains and glide over the lake behind Pangaea and Asia. After a few curves and sways you arrive outside of the mountain for the covered unloading station where you can walk off towards March of the Sauropods, the interactive walk-through exhibit to your right, or maybe another ride on Pan Air.

Level 3 - Top of the World

With the addition of the Pangaea supercontinent to Disney's Animal Kingdom, the park will also be gaining a brand new, high caliber restaurant unlike any other. Exclusively located on top of Laurasia Mountain, the peak of the Central Pangaean Mountain Range, board a cable car to the "Top of the World" for a once in a lifetime dining experience.

Cable Cars
The Cable Cars to the Top of the World and Observation Deck can be picked up near the entrance from Discovery Island. They are nestled next to the Frozen in Time Ice Cream shop and the jungle entrance from Discovery Island to Pangaea, acting as a transition within the land itself. The 2 minute vertical ascent to the top drops guests off near the restaurant and viewing location.

Please note that some times during the day the cable cars might be closed for capacity. Only people allowed to ride at certain peak hours are guests with reservations at the Top of the World.

There will be two separate lines for the cable cars. One for the observation deck and one for the restaurant and as mentioned before, for capacity concerns, the observation deck line may be closed at certain times of the day.

Once at Top of the World, you'll have 180 degree floor to ceiling views of the park, and amazing perspectives for the Rivers of Light, you'll be surrounded with beautiful landscapes while dining on recipes inspired by flavors from around the world. Overall, Top of the World is so named not only for its location 160 ft above Walt Disney World, but also for its high quality signature dining for breakfast and dinner. Reservations are recommended. Dress code upheld.

Below is a sample dinner menu from the restaurant:

Dinner Menu
Appetizers/Starters
Oysters on the Half Shell - $3.25 Each
Fried Calamari - $12.99
fried light and crisp served with garlic dip and cocktail sauce
Avocado Eggrolls - 2 for $9.95
avocado, red onion and cilantro fried in a fried roll; served with a cashew dipping sauce
Ahi Carpaccio - $11.95
thin slices of raw ahi tuna, wasabi pest sauce, creamy rich avocado and aioli
Tomato and Goat Cheese - $9.25
served with pan seared asparagus and vinegar sauce on the side.
Alaskan King Crab - $15.99
served with honey dijon mustard sauce.
Jumbo Shrimp - 2 for $14.99
a really big shrimp served with cocktail sauce and lemon wedges
Seafood Melody - $25.99 (serves 6)
sampler of salmon, shrimp, tuna, crab, lobster, spicy tuna, and halibut with lemon wedges.
Caviar Sampler - $19.99
served with breadsticks

Soups/Salads
Lobster Bisque - $9.95
creamy lobster cooked with garlic, celery, onions, and sea salt with a pinch of parsley
Mozzarella Caprese - $10.99
served with tomatoes, basil, and house oil
Onion Parmesan Soup - $8.95
cheese, parsley, garlic, and onion creme bisque.
Wegener Drift - $10.99
salad served with lettuce, blue cheese, tomatoes, cucumbers, carrots, celery, and house ranch dressing.
Svalbard - $9.99
salad served with iceberg lettuce, olive oil, vinegar, spicy red onions

Sushi
Arctic Roll - 4 for $10.95
alaskan salmon with avocado, cucumber, and soy sauce.
Paleozoic Roll - 4 for $11.95
shrimp tempura, crab bits, cucumber, garlic sauce and lemon squeeze.
Mesozoic Roll - 4 for $10.95
eel, cucumber, avocado, eel sauce
Panthalassa Roll - 4 for $10.95
crab, cucumber, yellowtail, crab sauce
Earth Roll - 4 for $9.95
salmon, spicy softshell crab, yellowtail, ponzu sauce
Eurasia Roll - 4 for $11.95
tuna bits, cucumber, carrots, spicy wasabi
Columbia Roll - 4 for $10.95
deep fried spicy tuny, columbian wasabi
Gondwana Roll - 4 for $10.95
crab, avocado, salmon, eel, and eel sauce.
Congo Roll - 4 for $9.95
spicy crab and cucumber, with wasabi
Laurasia Roll - 4 for $9.95
spicy shrimp filling with avocado crust and cocktail sauce.
Cambrian Roll - 4 for $11.95
crab and spicy tuna melt with cucumber and avocado.
Avalonia Roll - $10.95
spicy shrimp and avocado with ponzu sauce

Entree/Main Course

Grilled Arctic Halibut - $22.95
served with mashed potatoes, grilled onions and mixed vegetables
Broiled Mountain Salmon - $29.75
served with a barbecue glaze and lemon sauce with asparagus
Filet Mignon (14 oz) - $49.95
served well done to medium rare
Bison Porterhouse (28 oz) - $50.75
Bison Porterhouse (48 oz) - $77.95
served well done to medium rare
Seared Duck - $36.95
with maple butter sauce and mixed vegetables
Grouper - $28.95
served with crab sauce and croutons
Lungini alla Pesto - Gluten-Free Option - $24.95
pasta served with creamy house-made tomato sauce

Side Dishes
Baked Potato - $9.95
Cauliflower Mix - $7.75
Grilled Asparagus - $8.95
Spinach and Mushroom - $9.95
Creamed Spinach - $8.95
Steamed Broccoli - $7.75
Brussel Sprouts - $9.95

Desserts
Creme Brulee - $8.95
Chocolate Moose - $9.95
Tiramisu - $8.95
Gelato - $7.75
vanilla, pecan, chocolate, strawberry, lemoncello, lime, cookies and cream, peanut butter, coffee
Warm Apple Crostada - $8.95

Drinks
Fountain Drink - $2.75
Coke, Sprite, Fanta, Lemonade, Pink Lemonade, Peach Iced Tea
Sparkling Water - $2.75

Wine Short-List (by Glass)

Chardonnay
Cambria - $10.00
Santa Maria. 2011, California
Domaine Laroche - $16.00
Chablis 2013, Burgandy
Far Niente - $18.00
Napa Valley 2014, California
Chateau Montelena - $19.00
Napa Valley, 2012, California

Sauvignon Blanc
Sancerre - $12.00
Loire Valley, 2013, France

Pinot Noir
Smoke Tree - $10.00
Carneros, 2012
Acadia - $11.00
Carneros, 2014
Goldeneye - $11.00
Anderson Valley, 2011

Campagne/Sparkling
Carpene Malvolti - $10.00
Proscecco, Italy
Cremant Brut Rose - $14.00
France

Merlot
Robert Mondavi - $13.00
Napa Valley, 2011, California
Shafer - $15.00
Napa Valley, 2012, California
Franciscan - $16.00
Napa Valley, 2013, California

Beer Selection Short List

On-Tap
Bud, Bud Light, Heineken, Coors Light, Sam Adams Seasonal, Corona, Miller Light

Imported On-Tap
Seasonal

Mixed Drink Short List
Seasonal
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Glacier Gulch

History
Paleoclimatologists have distinguished that on the supercontinent, Pangaea, were Carboniferous glaciation effects in the southern hemisphere due to the earth's axis tilt. This region is present day Antarctica and southern India when separated out to its present day configuration.

natural-disasters-topic-3-plate-tectonics-19-638.jpg

Known as the Gondwanan Ice Sheet (named for the sub-supercontinent in the Cretaceous Period) this ice sheet was connected and a part of the supercontinent Pangaea

Design
As you approach from the Discovery Island hub, to the right of the Central Pangaean Mountain Range are large 30 foot glaciers superimposed against the side of a show building that's covered by the glacial facade. This interior infrastructure is home to Glacier Gulch, an indoor climate controlled environment themed to Pangaea's south polar boarders.

Inside it gives the illusion that you are surrounded by a massive iceberg, as the walls and ceiling are painted to illustrate the water's frozen surface and the icy crests surrounding you.

This air-conditioned environment is home to two small flat rides and an ice cream shop on the outside carved into one of the glaciers outside.

Lizard Leaner
An attraction based on the sea dinosaur, the Ichthyosaurus, (Greek for lizard) found in the Late Triassic to Early Jurassic Period.

The attraction will use a similar technology to Mater's Junkeyard Jamboree, however instead of cars, the vehicles will be Ichthyosaurus dinosaurs traveling around pieces of glacier in "freezing" water of the Panthalassa Ocean (the one ocean that surrounded Pangaea)

There is no height requirement for this attraction.

Plesiosaur Plunge
An underwater attraction (below Lizard Leaner) in the Lower Deck of the Glacier Gulch Pavilion, where you board a Sea Pod and attempt to find the massive sea creature, the Plesiosaurus. This 2 minute attraction takes your pod around the gulch in the center of the pavilion and culminates in the discovery of the sauropterygian reptile in projection form before approaching the dock for unloading.

There is no height requirement for this attraction.

Ice Cream Shop - Frozen in Time
Outside of Glacier Gulch is a makeshift designed Ice Cream venue for the hot days walking around Disney's Animal Kingdom and themed along with the polar caps of Pangaea.

Below is a sample of the menu offered at the shop:

Ceratosaurus Cremery

Land, Air, Sea - $4.25
2 scoops of vanilla chocolate chip ice cream with and infused caramel dipped in sprinkles with whipped cream wrapped in tin foil.

Banana Bronto - $4.00
2 scoops of strawberry ice cream with banana bits and a cracker jack topping.

Continental Drift - $18.00 (serves 3-5)
7 scoops of ice cream (1 coffee, 2 vanilla, 1 strawberry, 1 lime, 1 cookies and cream, 2 chocolate), with milky way candy bar toppings, twizzler pieces, and a creamy chocolate covering sauce.

Make Your Own
Small (1 scoop) - $2.00
Medium (2 scoops) - $3.50
Large (3 scoops) - $5.00

Choice of vanilla, chocolate, strawberry, lemon, peanut butter, cookies and cream, coffee, lactose free, caramel, lime, cherry, orange, pineapple as well as choice of assorted toppings.

Diplodocus Desserts

Triassic Triumph - $4.50
2 scoops of ice cream with a chocolate chip brownie

The Herbivore - $4.00
2 scoops of Lime Ice Cream with a slice of crunchy key-lime pie.

Carboniferous Whisper - $4.75
2 scoops of cherry ice cream, a chocolate covering, whipped cream, with a side of assorted fruit.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alice Springs Water Play Area and D-Zone

Replacing the area previously occupied by The Boneyard Dig area, enjoy the cool down and wilderness aesthetics of Alice Springs. Based on the Springs of the same name on Pangaea, Alice Springs is a water play area for children with sprouting geysers and other aquatic interactive areas. A great shady is located on the sides of the Springs for parents and children to sit as well and possibly eat some ice cream from Frozen in Time. There's also a small rocky area acting as a transition point between the entrance/exit to Discovery Island and Glacier Gulch, adding to the ambiance and environment with a waterfall into Alice Springs.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Pangaea Walking Trail

Introduction:
In the same vein as Pangani Forest Exploration Trail and Maharajah Jungle Trek, our new land will add another walking trail to the mix: Pangaea Path. Here, guests will explore a well-worn trail through the various regions of Pangaea while being able to watch dinosaurs and other prehistoric creatures in their native habitat. Animatronic dinosaurs and other creatures of the Triassic and Jurassic periods will thrill guests with their life-like movements ranging from breathing, snorting, crying, walking, and even roaring. While these creatures were known to be destructive and menacing as well, this path will explore the majesty and beauty of these creatures while allowing young and young at heart to revel in the wonder of these ambassadors of the past. This family-friendly attraction will not terrify young ones or make them believe they are counting down to their own extinction.

Winding through the densely forested region, guests will walk down this ancient path and step back in time as they spot creatures come to life in a way never experienced before. Guests will hear the calls of pterodactyls, feel the rumble of the earth as mammoth dinosaurs stroll through the forest, and even get to meet some of the prehistoric beasts up close. Guests will be able to interact with digital message boards located at each stop along the way so they can read, listen, and watch videos to gain insight into the creatures before them. Or, if they prefer a human touch, cast members will be standing by ready to offer more information to guests as well.

As day turns to night, guests will still be able to enjoy seeing these creatures in their habitat as soft lighting and illuminated paths make for easy travel down the Pangea Path. All paths are ADA compliant and signs will offer braille as well.

Specific Stops:

The specific stops along the way will introduce guests to an array of colorful and intriguing characters:

Stop #1: A Herrerasaurus lurks in the forest while smaller animals cower in fear. Herrerasaur fossils are some of the oldest fossils ever discovered which date back about 228 million years to the mid-Triassic.

Stop #2: Guests watch a Stegomus, an early relative of the crocodile dating back to the Triassic Period, walk by the water.

Stop #3: Coelophysis, carnivores of the Late Triassic Period, walk amongst the bushes in search for food.

Stop #4: A Triceratops and its young share a meal.

Stop #5: Park guests come face to face with the King of the Jurassic period: the Tyrannosaurus Rex.

Stop #6: Walking into an indoor air-conditioned cavern, guests begin to descend below sea level where they are faced with aquatic creatures of the Triassic and Jurassic period swimming in the waters. These HD television screens will shows these aquatic animals swimming right by the glass for visitors to watch.

Stop #7: Pterodactyl Perch: Allows guests to view Pterodactyls as they rest and sleep on a man made mountain and surrounding trees. Every now and then guests may see these flying reptiles take flight to find a new resting spot.

Stop #8: Next guests will find a Karamuru, a genus of prestosuchid archosaur from the Middle Triassic-age, and get to see it up close and even feel its fur.

Stop #9: Guests will enjoy watching gentle Sauropods drink by the water. But, watch out, you may get sprayed with water. Fog effects will hover over the water.

Stop #10: Watch as a Stegosaurus and its young walk by swishing their large plated tails.
--------------------------------------------------------------
The Good Dinosaur: A Musical

In the musical, it will take you through different scenes and sequences throughout "The Good Dinosaur" following Arlo and Spot on their many adventures to find home. The musical is 30 minutes long in a fully enclosed theatre. The theatre is shaped in a square format, much like "Finding Nemo: The Musical". At the top of the stage, the audience will see Clawtooth mountain where Arlo and his family live in the film. The costumes will be puppets, as the Dino's will go over the actors head, much like in Lion King the musical. The only costume who will not be a puppet is Spot, who is played by a "face character". There will be multiple costume changes throughout the show depending on the character. There is a chorus included for background song sequences.
Songs included are:
-"On that Wall" which is in the end of the first scene.
-"The Storm Provides" which is in the end of the third scene.
-"The Multiple Campfire Songs" which is in scene four.
--"Clawtooth Mountain" - which is in scene five.
-"The End is a New Beginning"- which is shown in the last scene of the show.

Scene one
The scene opens up with Arlo and his brother and sister farming. The audience hears Arlo talking to his mother saying: "This is so complicated! I won't ever get to put my mark on the wall." As he says that, on the right side of the stage, you see a stone wall show up, with everyone's mark on the stone wall, except for Arlo's.
Arlo's mother follows saying:" One day you will be ready and will have enough in you to put the mark on the wall, don't worry Arlo, your time will come."
Arlo sings the song, "On that Wall", and the lights fade out.

Scene two:
The scene then fades out to a river with Arlo's dad and Arlo trying to catch their critter (Spot)
Arlo's dad:" Arlo! Hurry we must catch that critter before the storm comes in!"
*lightning sequence, white flashes and thunder noises go among the theatre*
Arlo's dad: "Alright Arlo, maybe we've gone too far. We should head back"
*a few seconds pass by*
Arlo:" Dad! The river! The water is rising too fast! We're going to be swept away"
Arlo's dad: "Arlo, go! Hurry!"
*They look at each other, and the audience hears a crashing sound, with that the stage turns black*

Scene three:
This shows Arlo and Spot talking, bonding, and beginning to learn about each other's history. Arlo begins talking about his adventures, with what he's been through and how he wants to find his family. The background includes a "river" with a blue sheet of glass, with blue flashes of light, followed by a rock wall in the back. At the end before the scene goes black, Arlo and other "creatures" who will be ensemble, sing "The Storm Provides".

Scene four:

This shows Arlo meeting three dinosaurs, T-Rex's, sitting around a fire. Through this sequence, there will be campfire songs and a dog explaining the father T-Rex's story. The scene closes out by the lights shining out, and going black after the finished songs.

Scene five:
This scene shows Arlo and Spot traveling on a walkway through the mountains. Through this sequence, a song "Clawtooth Mountain" plays as Arlo sings while touring the mountains on his way home. A fog machine is shown, along with pictures on the side screens of the stage showing different sunsets and dinosaurs.

Scene six:

This is the final scene of the show. This scene shows Arlo and Spot coming back. While Arlo and Spot are walking on stage, the audience sees Spot's family come in greet him on one side of the stage. On the other side, the audience sees Arlo's family there to welcome him back home. After this, Arlo and Spot meet in the middle, hugging while saying goodbye. Through this sequence, a song called "The End is a New Beginning" sung by Arlo and backup dancers is played. The lights fade out, and curtain call begins.

Triceroshops
Towards the entrance/exit of the land and near the new Pangaea side seating area for the Rivers of Light and restrooms, walk through Pangaea's resident giftshop, Triceroshops. Designed like a walk through attraction, guests walk into the entrance of the shop on a pathway that snakes through the interior towards the exit. This design s based on Main Street USA, in order to keep guests in the shop and keep flow going through the entire shop. Inside you'll find merchandise ranging from clothes, memorabilia, trading pins, and much more.

Conclusion
On behalf of the cast of Gryffindor; @Tony the Tigger @disneydf @Fox&Hound @deere839 @Brer Panther @Mattyice16 and @spacemt354 - thank you for visiting the newest continent of Disney's Animal Kingdom...Africa, Asia, Pandora, and now...Pangaea.
maxresdefault.jpg

spacemt354

Chili's
Also I assume you're a Red Sox fan?:p So I thought you might enjoy these.

I was looking through some old photos back in 2012 for the 100th of Fenway they had an open house so I was able to walk around the field. It was awesome!
392413_247331982032791_1532499745_n.jpg

401654_247329462033043_887385744_n.jpg

558557_247329008699755_1236523351_n.jpg

RSoxNo1

Original Poster
Also I assume you're a Red Sox fan?:p So I thought you might enjoy these.

I was looking through some old photos back in 2012 for the 100th of Fenway they had an open house so I was able to walk around the field. It was awesome!
392413_247331982032791_1532499745_n.jpg

401654_247329462033043_887385744_n.jpg

558557_247329008699755_1236523351_n.jpg
It's definitely a thrill to walk onto the field. I've had the good fortune of being able to do it a few times and relish every second.

spacemt354

Chili's
Sorry I missed the discussion last year. While I may not be in favor of some of the components of Pangaea (mainly a Good Dinosaur inspired attraction), I love the idea, and the thoroughness of the community here.
Thank you! And I agree I think The Good Dinosaur could be moved, or the theater replaced completely (I've always been confused why Finding Nemo is in Dinoland U.S.A.) -- but appreciate the feedback

I hope you keep these sort of threads up! If I have time this week -- I remember a project that expanded the Wildlife Express Train. I agree with you that it needs an additional scene or so, or at least more to see on the way.

RSoxNo1

Original Poster
Thank you! And I agree I think The Good Dinosaur could be moved, or the theater replaced completely (I've always been confused why Finding Nemo is in Dinoland U.S.A.) -- but appreciate the feedback

I hope you keep these sort of threads up! If I have time this week -- I remember a project that expanded the Wildlife Express Train. I agree with you that it needs an additional scene or so, or at least more to see on the way.
While I think truly integrating it into Kilimanjaro Safaris may be too difficult, if an Asian Safari is built, it could be done with views from the train in mind. Perhaps that would allow the Asian Safari to be a water ride, and then those that want to experience it from the train can do so.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom