Arendelle Village expansion (Frozen) update watch.

D

Deleted member 107043

, you have
For the most part I like these juxtapositions of Disneyland and the Magic Kingdom. I like how The Crystal Palace is steps from the Plaza Pavilion or Snow White Grotto is next to Cinderella Castle.

Agreed. They all transition pretty well, but WDW's HM next to Disneyland's Dumbo circa 1965?

Sped2424

Original Poster
It was supposed to move with the expansion, but the TDO-esque cuts have befallen Tokyo's plans.
According to EVERY insider there have been no Cuts to Tokyo's plans. Just shifting of what gets done first and more thinking and additions. The soarin clone was never apart of the original expansion, and now it is. And they have repeatedly stated they shall announce their plans for Frozen later.

GiveMeTheMusic

According to EVERY insider there have been no Cuts to Tokyo's plans. Just shifting of what gets done first and more thinking and additions. The soarin clone was never apart of the original expansion, and now it is. And they have repeatedly stated they shall announce their plans for Frozen later.

The Fantasyland plans for TDL were cut down (no small world move, Alice area removed). The TDS plans were not.

BrianLo

The OLC president confirmed in a Japanese Disney fan publication the Alice and Small World plans are dead, earlier in September.

That's the most recent info, Spirit's been gone for a few months now.

I still don't have a grasp on 'why' though.

Arrendale sounds like it is changing plots in TDS to gain more room.

GiveMeTheMusic

The OLC president confirmed in a Japanese Disney fan publication the Alice and Small World plans are dead, earlier in September.

That's the most recent info, Spirit's been gone for a few months now.

I still don't have a grasp on 'why' though.

Arrendale sounds like it is changing plots in TDS to gain more room.

TDR is by far the nicest Disney resort to visit in the world but I cannot wrap my head around OLC's reasoning over the past decade, and I still can't. Those parks needed additional capacity three years ago and they are just taking their sweet time.

mickEblu

The concept art indicated the animated classic, which is very popular in Japan. Shanghai has developed a separate ride based on the live action films.

That's too bad then. I would of loved to see a modern Dark ride based on the animated classic. The live action version , not so much. On the bright side, our Alice in Wonderland remains the only one in the world.

BrianLo

Part of the problem was they didn't like what WDI was trying to sell them.

And yet they dumped a major Alice addition, a complete redo of Tomorrowland Terrace and a new home for Small World in favour of a BH6 whip... It's a head scratcher.

Plus the totally unsurprising move of Soaring in Mediterranean Harbour is taking until 2019! 2019... for a ride in an expansion plot my totally uninspired armchair imagineering brain pegged in 2011. Soaring was the 'holy we need capacity' move that they should have pulled the trigger on during the 30th anniversary. It should have and could have opened this year. Even still, it should and could open in the first half of 2018 - what the heck are they twiddling their thumbs for?

Can I remind everyone that B&TB, Small World, Alice and Frozen were announced and supposed to be done in 2019...

Don't get me wrong, love Tokyo to death, they are starting way-way ahead - but they legitimately had the most uninspired decade of any Disney resort. All while having some of the most explosive growth. Yes, even Paris and certainly WDW out-built Tokyo. We really can't just blame WDI for that.

On the bright side, I'm of the opinion Disneyland is having one of the best decades. They are rapidly closing many of the quality gaps between the much exalted and sometimes inappropriately worshipped park across the Pacific. I assume we'll be seeing Frozen at DL first.

BrianLo

Cars Land required the removal of TSI if i remember correctly. Not a good trade off but space is limited there from what I could tell.

That was certainly an... 'interesting'... proposition. Although I feel like it was the spark of an idea that made the placement of Star Wars in Disneyland happen. Even that MK Frontierland proposition involved the RoA.

Tokyo is by no means as boxed in as Disneyland. There are vast spans of paved parking they can access without even having to re-route the monorail all along the Tomorrowland/Toontown and Arabian Coast/Lost River Delta edges.

I think that's primarily where they are looking towards now, they just need to build parking structures. There is no reason that prime real estate and the resort as a whole should only be using ground paved parking.

It seems ironic so many of these parks and resorts could desperately use parking structures, meanwhile Disney Springs is throwing them in like it is going out of style. With seemingly no road blocks or push back on cost from the notoriously cheap TDO.

BrianLo

Wait, TSI is being removed for Cars Land in Tokyo?

No, thank goodness. That was circa 2012 when OLC was shocked with their massive 20%+ increase in attendance and profits the 30th was bringing in. Management thought their park business was mature until that point and were fairly content that it had plateau'd. They really didn't actually 'do' a whole lot for the 30th. To expect 6-7 million more guests to suddenly turn up from what Tokyo Disney and Disney Sea combined had been averaging caught them way off guard. The Tokyo 30th was lovely, but I thought the DL 60th was much more impressive.

The last major addition was 2008 with their Tower of Terror, you can really appreciate how attendance explodes out of nowhere this decade. Even coming off the biggest disaster any Disney Park worldwide has even seen in 2011.

img_graph_number.gif

Then they went to WDI, flush with cash, desperate for capacity. They came back with essentially: "Well Carsland was really successful, you can have that. Or you can help WDW pay for Avatar, we'd really like you to do that please". It was one of the strange reasons Pandora didn't show up at D23 2013 in Anaheim and yet was present in a very big way in Tokyo later that same year.

They turned that all down, asked for something unique and came forward with the rather (in my opinion) great idea of the Fantasyland expansion with a moved and completely redone Small World, B&TB E-ticket, and Alice miniland with its own E-ticket. It was all to be topped off with a new Arrendale expansion in Tokyo Disney Sea before the end of the decade.

It was all ready to go and money was already allotted for it last fiscal year. Then it was delayed, for reasons many have commented on, but no one has completely nailed down. SDL, the Olympics, WDI, lots has been speculated about, some of it is probably inaccurate.

But Carsland is definitely a dead proposal.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom