Are there still pay phones in the parks?

crazgurl

I'm traveling from Canada and will have a small travel package on my cell but my mom is a receptionist for a company with a 1-800 number so with a pay phone I can phone home to check in for free.

lostpro9het

I'm traveling from Canada and will have a small travel package on my cell but my mom is a receptionist for a company with a 1-800 number so with a pay phone I can phone home to check in for free.
Yes but good luck figuring out how to use one...
0D96C863-0B98-4FD8-8FAD-B9AEFB57A31E.jpg

Upvote 0

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
I saw them outside of the restrooms at the Magic Kingdom a couple days ago (the ones on the far right before entering the park, before your ticket/magic band is scanned). I remember them because when I came out of the restroom my husband was looking at them and picking up the receiver, I joked about him calling someone.

Upvote 0

TheGuyThatMakesSwords

Yes, there are :). Now, if you SEE one? You don't have to use it - it's another attraction for your young children :). Please, be sure to SHOW them this quaint, antiquated item - they will likely never see one ANYWHERE again :).

My wife and I are actually old enough to remember real PHONE BOOTHS - the WOODEN SHELL numbers, common in restaurants up to about 1964 :). Our folks tended to teach us to never walk past one without checking to see if there was money left in the coin return :). All dead knowledge today :).

Upvote 0

Wngo905

In the Parks
No
Interesting fact, in Epcot there used to be three working phone booths (two booths in UK with a non-enclosed payphone in between, one booth in Canada). They are still there but they haven't worked in years. You can easily look up the old numbers on the Internet. I still have the phone number for the Canada one in my cell phone:)

Upvote 0

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Interesting fact, in Epcot there used to be three working phone booths (two booths in UK with a non-enclosed payphone in between, one booth in Canada). They are still there but they haven't worked in years. You can easily look up the old numbers on the Internet. I still have the phone number for the Canada one in my cell phone:)
I had heard that they disconnected those because too many idiots were calling them and, shall we say, using totally inapporopriate language to the person that would answer it. We used to call them back in the day, just to talk with someone there. Lot's of fun. I still have all of the numbers in my phone as well!

Upvote 0

crazgurl

Original Poster
View attachment 150085

I found this one back at Rafiki's Planet Watch in AK. If this is the only pay phone in WDW, I would recommend just talking to you mom when you got back home haha. Not worth the hassle of getting all the way back there to see a petting zoo and a pay phone.

I never expected to find them everywhere, just a few scattered around. I will have a small travel pack on my cell phone and dont intend to spend the entire trip on the phone by any means, but I run a business with my father, so if he needs me, this is one way I will be able to discuss work with him at no cost (yes, Im cheap, but this trip wont be and anywhere I can save, I will! My mom has a 1-800 number, why wouldnt I use it! Simpler than trying to figure out aps and things for the few times I will need it while in the parks! Besides, isnt doing something retro a little bit fun?)

Upvote 0

docdebbi

Yes, there are :). Now, if you SEE one? You don't have to use it - it's another attraction for your young children :). Please, be sure to SHOW them this quaint, antiquated item - they will likely never see one ANYWHERE again :).

My wife and I are actually old enough to remember real PHONE BOOTHS - the WOODEN SHELL numbers, common in restaurants up to about 1964 :). Our folks tended to teach us to never walk past one without checking to see if there was money left in the coin return :). All dead knowledge today :).

anyone else, like me, old enough to remember phone booths at the end of the hallways in your college dorm? that was how people got ahold of you, you had to rely on some kind person walking by and answering it and going and finding you. You also had to wait outside while someone else talked to their boyfriend for an hour before you could get one.

ahhh.....the good old days???

and don't forget party lines, I used to LOVE our party line

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom