Are there any rumors about Innoventions West?

ChesterKiwi

Ya know.......
Adding coasters, meet & greet character spots, and other amusement park "stuff" is proof that Walt's EPCOT is being raped and thrown into the gutter.
It was supposed to be a tribute to Walt's idea of a better future for everyone, illustrated by letting Disney's Imagineers run with ideas and concepts that can be developed through experimentation with the technology that we have now.
An Experimental, Prototype, Community, of Tomorrow.
Not another amusement park like the Magic Kingdom.
I hope Walt's spirit terrorizes every idiot in the Disney company that promotes such travesties.
I couldn't agree more. I've never gone to Epcot with the intent of being amused or seeing Disney characters.

CDavid

In the 'Iger mentions Epcot plans' thread it's mentioned that Inside Out and a Tron coaster are being discussed for Future World with hints one may replace Ellen and the other Innoventions.

Roller coasters belong in Future world about as well as Space Mountain belongs in Africa at Animal Kingdom.

Please do demolish EEA!:eek:

Toss Ellen out - the sooner the better - but please do not demolish the Universe of Energy pavilion. Update it, appropriately and creatively this time.

Brad Bishop

I wouldn't mind them demolishing Innoventions East and West.

It always seemed like an odd corridor to me. Each side isn't particularly inviting (I know there are doors there) and it just seems like pointless buildings that are in the way. Also, the architecture is really dated. It's always felt like one of those business strip malls where you're just supposed to walk past it to get where you're going (maybe there's an accountant or lawyer inside but you don't need to see them).

RSoxNo1

That's what character spot is for.

Not to shove them in even more space as a cheap and lazy way of putting something - anything - there since they won't do anything more suitable.
I hear you, but I don't think Character Spot is enough space. Epcot will have characters, that's unavoidable and if I have to sacrifice something in Future World, it's going to be Innoventions. I also don't detest the Royal Sommerhus concept as a general princess meet and greet if and when Anna and Elsa's love fest fade.

I'm very much in favor of keeping characters out of Epcot's rides, but there needs to be some give and take. Characters have been in Epcot since 1983/1984 in some capacity as walk around characters and putting them in centralized locations works for me.

Buried20KLeague

In the 'Iger mentions Epcot plans' thread it's mentioned that Inside Out and a Tron coaster are being discussed...

I guess this is as good a place as any to complain about this...

But it really bugs me how they basically require park additions to be tied to IP's now... AND IT'S ALWAYS IP'S THAT HAVE BEEN RELEASED FOR YEARS ALREADY!!!!!!!!!!!

Why in the world, if they're going to go with adding IP related park offerings, wouldn't they see what's coming down the pipe... 2 or 3 years... And the ones they have the strongest sense of success with, develop something based around that?? I mean, Inside Out was okay... But it's not the next Toy Story. Yet there's talk of possible attraction tie-ins with it. So what's the difference between that and developing something for an IP 2 or 3 years away? Even if that movie didn't do well, if the attraction is well done, it would still be a success and could only possibly help the performance of the movie. People aren't going to avoid a good attraction because they didn't like the movie. Quite the opposite... A good attraction could cause people to see a movie or buy merch that otherwise might not have.

Instead, a movie comes out, then a couple years later we get an announcement, then 2 or 3 years after that we get an attraction. Of a movie that's been out for 4 or 5 years.

John Lasseter talked about this a good while ago. It drives me nuts that clearly nobody has listened to him on the topic.

FigmentForver96

People have to have a reason to go to Epcot, besides Soarin (refurb), TT and World Showcase bar and lounge.
Of course, so someone needs to tell Disney that they need to be finding new and exciting ways to keep the integrity of Epcot while making new experiences that everyone will enjoy. More character meets are not the answer. Personally, I always wished they would turn the store at the back gate into a meeting spot for Mickey and the rest. Innovations could be use for something better and guest could still meet the favorite people without bothering the theming of any of the lands....my two cents.

Tavernacle12

I guess this is as good a place as any to complain about this...

But it really bugs me how they basically require park additions to be tied to IP's now... AND IT'S ALWAYS IP'S THAT HAVE BEEN RELEASED FOR YEARS ALREADY!!!!!!!!!!!

Why in the world, if they're going to go with adding IP related park offerings, wouldn't they see what's coming down the pipe... 2 or 3 years... And the ones they have the strongest sense of success with, develop something based around that?? I mean, Inside Out was okay... But it's not the next Toy Story. Yet there's talk of possible attraction tie-ins with it. So what's the difference between that and developing something for an IP 2 or 3 years away? Even if that movie didn't do well, if the attraction is well done, it would still be a success and could only possibly help the performance of the movie. People aren't going to avoid a good attraction because they didn't like the movie. Quite the opposite... A good attraction could cause people to see a movie or buy merch that otherwise might not have.

Instead, a movie comes out, then a couple years later we get an announcement, then 2 or 3 years after that we get an attraction. Of a movie that's been out for 4 or 5 years.

John Lasseter talked about this a good while ago. It drives me nuts that clearly nobody has listened to him on the topic.

Attractions cost a lot of money (often more than a movie itself may cost) and adding an IP that's a proven success is a safer financial bet than risking money on a ride that could wind up being based on a flop.

It'd be great if they opened up new experiences with new movies (or at least parades) but I can understand why they don't. Hopefully after Star Wars, Avatar, and Toy Story are done there's enough of an attendance boost to justify building more and trying to follow Lasseters idea.

Brad Bishop

I think Eisner actually did a lot of good for WDW but one of the things I think he goofed up on (and, really, there's more than one) is, "It's all about riding the movies!"

No.. It's not. I mean, it is now... It wasn't always. Now that's just about all we get. It's just, "How do we bring this hit movie to life?," now instead of, "I have a unique idea for an attraction!"

gbruenin

It always seemed like an odd corridor to me. Each side isn't particularly inviting (I know there are doors there) and it just seems like pointless buildings that are in the way. Also, the architecture is really dated. It's always felt like one of those business strip malls where you're just supposed to walk past it to get where you're going (maybe there's an accountant or lawyer inside but you don't need to see them).

Given what they've turned these buildings into its easy to see this point of view. Boarded up/blacked out windows, sealed doorways, abandoned floor space (and mezzanine areas), vast drywall-covered areas.

However, if one looks at how the buildings were originally intended, if park management returned to even a portion of the original building concepts there would be huge potential for vibrant 'future worldly' engagement space.

Gary

CDavid

People have to have a reason to go to Epcot, besides Soarin (refurb), TT and World Showcase bar and lounge.

There used to be other reasons: They were known as Horizons, Journey into Imagination, World of Motion, and a Spaceship Earth that isn't seriously dumbed down .

Isn't it just amazing what happens when you neglect a park for decades and then make ill-conceived, value-engineered replacements which compromise the theme and very nature of what the park is supposed to represent.

Christian Fronckowiak

In the Parks
Yes

It was supposed to be the "Main Street" of the 21st Century in Future World.

RobbinsDad

Attractions cost a lot of money (often more than a movie itself may cost) and adding an IP that's a proven success is a safer financial bet than risking money on a ride that could wind up being based on a flop.

It'd be great if they opened up new experiences with new movies (or at least parades) but I can understand why they don't. Hopefully after Star Wars, Avatar, and Toy Story are done there's enough of an attendance boost to justify building more and trying to follow Lasseters idea.

I don't buy this at all. Entertaining attractions don't have to come from existing IP - look at, I don't know, half of the Magic Kingdom, Soarin', EE, Kilimanjaro Safaris, etc. In fact, I'd say that the flops (which is highly subjective) have mostly come from IPs.

Crazydisneyfanluke

To be fair, Sadness has occupied Innoventions for years now.
1mnj6e.jpg

Crazydisneyfanluke

Of course, so someone needs to tell Disney that they need to be finding new and exciting ways to keep the integrity of Epcot while making new experiences that everyone will enjoy. More character meets are not the answer. Personally, I always wished they would turn the store at the back gate into a meeting spot for Mickey and the rest. Innovations could be use for something better and guest could still meet the favorite people without bothering the theming of any of the lands....my two cents.
You can only meet those characters there, this draws the younger crowds to Epcot, which increases park attendance.
I wish there was another way to draw the younger crowds that doesn't involve Characters like the fab 5 and Pixar. They need to take a journey to their imagination to figure out a way to bring back the original EPCOT. Yes im 21, I enjoy learning about the earth we live on, the cultures of the globe, and the space around us. Epcot is losing its interest in me because it losing its theme. If i want to get drunk around the world, its most likely cheaper to book a flight to Europe and go to bars there.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member

I would.

It would be easy to restore the original guest flow, door locations and corridors. The 1994 changes messed with all of this. Originally they were inviting, easy to access and traverse, huge spaces with tonnes of natural light. Don't forget the natural light.

articos

If the buildings were put back the way they should be, the central plaza stripped of the now tacky ornamentation/kiosks and the planting pruned properly, you might feel differently. As it all is now, you don't get any sense of the way that area should feel. The buildings themselves aren't dated at all if the glass is restored and they are properly painted. With the paintwork that's on them now - which is brand new - the buildings looked dated as soon as the paint was applied.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom