are there 2 dreamfinders?...

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Can anyone explain to me how the turntable worked on the original ride? We're there 5 replicas of the ship and AA figures?

Ask Martin

I've a huge video of the pavilion coming out in September with a large portion dedicated to the ride system.

Basically yes, five duplicate ships and figures on a slow, constantly rotating circular scene rig. They used to think big back then.

Brer Oswald

I've a huge video of the pavilion coming out in September with a large portion dedicated to the ride system.

Basically yes, five duplicate ships and figures on a slow, constantly rotating circular scene rig. They used to think big back then.
Thanks Martin! Really wish I was around to see it :(. Hopefully they bring Dreamfinder back one day and create a ride as inspiring as the original, but with the surveys going around as of late, I'm not going to hold my breath. I look forward to the video!

Goofyernmost

Thanks Martin! Really wish I was around to see it :(. Hopefully they bring Dreamfinder back one day and create a ride as inspiring as the original, but with the surveys going around as of late, I'm not going to hold my breath. I look forward to the video!
To be honest that was the ultimate highlight of the entire ride. After that, for me at least, it was a let down. However, I went back year after year just to see that part. I guess I was lucky because I have heard so much about how it broke constantly and I never once saw that happen. I never even saw the ride closed when I went to ride it.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
To be honest that was the ultimate highlight of the entire ride. After that, for me at least, it was a let down. However, I went back year after year just to see that part. I guess I was lucky because I have heard so much about how it broke constantly and I never once saw that happen. I never even saw the ride closed when I went to ride it.
You didn't like that much did you?

"Broke" was a loose term. Temperamental was more like it.

Brer Oswald

The best thing for them to do at this point would be to reimagine the original ride with completely new technology, scenes, and ideas that are still based on the original premise. They could do the turntable flawlessly with today's technology. If they instead decide to put inside out in the pavilion, Epcot will be dead to me and probably most other fans as well. When fans clamour for Future World to be updated, they are generally asking for them to do something new with Dreamfinder and Figment. If the rumours are true about them returning to the name of Epcot Center, it would be silly for them to do anything but that for Imagination.

Goofyernmost

You didn't like that much did you?

"Broke" was a loose term. Temperamental was more like it.
Yea, I did. I remember back to the first time I saw it. I wish someone had taken a picture of me at the time because I know I was completely slack jawed with my mouth open wide enough to swallow Figment. I remember multi-tasking and trying to figure out how they did that at the same time as I was trying to enjoy the show itself. One little spark, for sure! I know we have reached levels of technology that are much higher today, but, at the time... wow... mind blowing for a Vermont country boy.

Creathir

When was it modified?

I unfortunately do not remember this ride at all as a kid, maybe when your tribute comes out it will trigger some memories.

Given the popularity around here, it must have been the sight to behold.

Brer Oswald

When was it modified?

I unfortunately do not remember this ride at all as a kid, maybe when your tribute comes out it will trigger some memories.

Given the popularity around here, it must have been the sight to behold.
They first destroyed the attraction when it was closed in '98 and reopened in '99. Then they decided to make fun of 2.0 with 3.0, which I can only assume is ironically bad.

Here's be link to martins video that explains everything! If you love Disney Parks and never watched one of his videos your in for quite a treat! I watched pretty much all of his late at night when my son was born and he would want to eat! Him and I had a lot of bonding time over his videos!

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Here's be link to martins video that explains everything! If you love Disney Parks and never watched one of his videos your in for quite a treat! I watched pretty much all of his late at night when my son was born and he would want to eat! Him and I had a lot of bonding time over his videos!

Thank you.

There's a far far better version coming in September :)

Bairstow

The best thing for them to do at this point would be to reimagine the original ride with completely new technology, scenes, and ideas that are still based on the original premise. They could do the turntable flawlessly with today's technology.

The turntable was a workaround for a show requirement that these days would be best addressed with trackless vehicles and multiple stationary showrooms.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
The turntable was a workaround for a show requirement that these days would be best addressed with trackless vehicles and multiple stationary showrooms.
Nowerdays the original effect could easily be replicated. Rotating show sets and perfectly synced ride vehicles that rotate on cue and don't derail. Piece of cake.

WDI haven't given up on new rotating show sets just yet ;)

MaximumEd

I wouldn't be surprised if a new whiz-bang Journey has been proposed to bring it back to its former glory, but with new tech and updated everything. Imagineers were told to "dream big". It's a question of whether it will ever see the light of day after the budgetary chainsaws get fired up. Somebody snatch Tony Baxter out of wherever he is and drop him off in Epcot.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom