Are the Studios prepared for the Star Wars Crowds?

Dad 2 M & M

Original Poster
While at the Studios last month, we couldn't help but notice the TREMENDOUS crowd and their mass exodus after the fire works show!! We arrived (from Epcot) around 6:15, took in the Great Movie Ride and Muppet Show, and then (7:15ish) strolled over to ToT. We rod it repeatedly until the que gate closed. That was around 8:10 or so. We were stoked to have ridden it so many times, and didn't understand why we were so lucky; we rode it at least 5 times, maybe more as it was ride, run, get back in the Hotel Lobby and repeat the process.

When the ride finally closed, we headed for the gate, and didn't even make it down Hollywood BLVD!! SO MANY PEOPLE (who had just watched the fireworks) WERE LEAVING!! We went back the next night and same thing...neither was an EME and the park closed at 8:00. Luckily we drove, and didn't have to wait for a bus or that would have been miserable!!

Is TDO ready for this? The Star Wars take over of the Park hasn't really even started, and already there seems to be issues!!

Any thoughts? Or are we crazy?

HauntedMansionFLA

They really need to repeat what they are doing at DAK before AvatarLand opens. Build up other attractions/rides, night entertainment and places to eat. I would hope someone working for Disney has a lick of sense and would see that they have the franchise of franchises. I like they they are refurb ing the two place to eat at The Muppets because it looks like that's where SWL is going.
Just remember what happened when they had that Friday the 13th meet the Villians party that they didn't up charge everyone. People couldn't even get into the parking lot. Traffic was stretched down the highway for miles. I guess the one thing SWL has going for it would be the back of the park location.

KikoKea

Any chance they'll add an extra exit- like the one in MK behind Main St? That might help when everyone's leaving. We usually hang around MK eating a snack and wait for the Goodnight Kiss (and the crowds to leave). Not sure if that would work in HS, unless you shop or just hang out.

Dad 2 M & M

Original Poster
They really need to repeat what they are doing at DAK before AvatarLand opens. Build up other attractions/rides, night entertainment and places to eat. I would hope someone working for Disney has a lick of sense and would see that they have the franchise of franchises. I like they they are refurb ing the two place to eat at The Muppets because it looks like that's where SWL is going.
Just remember what happened when they had that Friday the 13th meet the Villians party that they didn't up charge everyone. People couldn't even get into the parking lot. Traffic was stretched down the highway for miles. I guess the one thing SWL has going for it would be the back of the park location.
Funny you would mention Friday the 13th and Villains....we attended both and loved it....peeps were in line for characters and T-shirts, while we rode ride after ride. Same thing happened last month during the fireworks...

The crowds are going to be a huge problem!

HauntedMansionFLA

Funny you would mention Friday the 13th and Villains....we attended both and loved it....peeps were in line for characters and T-shirts, while we rode ride after ride. Same thing happened last month during the fireworks...

The crowds are going to be a huge problem!
I know. WDW smallest park with a biggest franchise is a formula of disaster. I never attended SW weekends but it will be like that everyday. I would have been like you and rode the rides during the Friday the 13th event. I'm glad you started this thread. It will be like a snowball rolling down the hill until opening date of SWL. It will be interesting to see what goes on at DHS. Building TSL will hardly be enough unless they add three or four flat rides to it.

jlsHouston

I noticed the Studios had issues with crowd control this past Thanksgiving with it being the last year for the Osborne Lights...so I can imagine how packed it will be when everything is completed for SWL. Maybe AK and the new Avatarland will help. OMG maybe we will see wait times for Soarin and 7DMT and Peter Pan under 30 minutes

CaptainAmerica

This is why I never buy the argument to "increase capacity by building new attractions to absorb more crowds" because the new crowds that show up to experience the new attractions more than offset whatever the parks can absorb. It actually makes the parks more crowded, not less. It's especially bad at pinch points like nighttime shows, fireworks, parades, transportation, and entry/exit, like you said. Magic Kingdom could add three more lands tomorrow. Rather than spread the crowds out and ease congestion, it'll just make the crowds bigger and increase congestion, especially when all of those people flock to Main Street to watch Wishes and then leave all at once.

Chef Mickey

This is why I never buy the argument to "increase capacity by building new attractions to absorb more crowds" because the new crowds that show up to experience the new attractions more than offset whatever the parks can absorb. It actually makes the parks more crowded, not less. It's especially bad at pinch points like nighttime shows, fireworks, parades, transportation, and entry/exit, like you said. Magic Kingdom could add three more lands tomorrow. Rather than spread the crowds out and ease congestion, it'll just make the crowds bigger and increase congestion, especially when all of those people flock to Main Street to watch Wishes and then leave all at once.
I think those arguments look at a broader picture over time, once the novelty wears off a bit. More importantly, it considers that today, everyone tends to flow back to MK, particularly at night, on holidays, and on weekends.

With a more robust offering at all 4 parks, we'd see a more even distribution at more times throughout the year.

I do agree they need to build out the 4 parks they have before even considering a 5th park (another argument used to address crowd issues).

Fox&Hound

More than anything they need to address the flow of guests and the width of pathways. Dead ends like the end of sunset by ToT and narrow turns like around GMR need to be addressed in a major way. They need more side streets and back ways to get to the various "lands." I hope a back road from ToT will travel to Animation Courtyard and then proceed to TSL. Also isn't there a pathway that runs from Fantasmic to the front of the park that goes behind the shops? They need to make that accessible all the time. I def agree that all of this has to be addressed before SWL opens...

The Empress Lilly

They should build a fifth gate instead of running their current properties to breaking point.

...and all the politicians implicated in the Panama Papers should resign and global defense budgets should go to education instead and

bethymouse

Have you been lately? It's a madhouse NOW!!! After the fireworks!!!
Haven't been since last year ( Frozen fireworks). I guess we just waited a few minutes to let some of the crowd go, and it was beginning to rain. I'm sure it's bad.:( We're not going to DHS this year. I love TOT and RNRC, but we don't do park hopping, so we're just skipping it this year.:(

roj2323

Not at the moment no.

Give it four years. Then it will be.

Yep exactly. Between the major changes coming to the parking infrastructure (should be getting started on this in the next month or two) and the other massive upgrades to the park infrastructure to support the new lands DHS will be ready by the time Star Wars Land opens.

roj2323

Have you been lately? It's a madhouse NOW!!! After the fireworks!!!

That's normal. (worked there for two years) Anytime there's fireworks in the park there's a mass exodus afterwards. It usually takes about 15 minutes for Hollywood boulevard to clear out enough to walk against the flow safely. You should have seen it when they first started doing the Frozen summer fun fireworks. The first Fantasmic let out just before the fireworks and the second let out just as the fireworks were ending. It was an enormous traffic jam. Thankfully it only took them a week to adjust the show times to lighten the load.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom