Are Galaxy's Edge / Star Wars Resort "canon"?

rsm

Original Poster
With Disney's acquisition of the Star Wars franchise they officially purged a chunk of the EU from canon, and have since been very diligent in coordinating all 'new' material as canon (comics, TV shows films, novels, etc). It would only make sense that the new planet being created for Galaxy's Edge would be considered a canon location, and similarly the starship resort a canon vessel.

But with the push for interactive, personalized story lines for each guest, obviously it would be impractical to consider each guest's experience a canon storyline - but it does raise some fun questions regarding the is/should/what ifs of canonizing the theme parks to some level. From an official story-centric imagineering standpoint, are the theme parks recreations of canon locations - or the 'real' locations themselves?

Personally I'm okay if dropping my ice cream cone within Galaxy's Edge is not considered an official part of Star Wars lore.

Christian Fronckowiak

In the Parks
Yes
From an official story-centric imagineering standpoint, are the theme parks recreations of canon locations - or the 'real' locations themselves?
I think it's safe to assume that while the land is the real location, being able to enter from Hollywood Blvd or DL's Frontierland is as fluid as Mickey having a meet and greet while he's in a parade in another park.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
What Disney does is canon, whether in GE or the resort. What you may do there in reaction is not.

At D23 there were lots of talk of the connectivity of GE with the SW universe. After all, BB8 was in the model and there's a Millennium Falcon ride. And talk of the resort made mention that the famous characters might not be there because they had their own stories, but, everything will mesh.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
This is not necessarily true. For example LEGO Star Wars: The Freemaker Adventures is not considered canon.

I stand corrected.

Since my rule of thumb has just been shattered, then I don't really know for sure whether the characters and plotlines developed for GE or the SWResort are canon. The bigwigs at D23 certainly made it sound like it would be since they kept talking about how it's really connected to the the movies, with characters from the movie knowing about GE and the people inhabiting GE knowing about the events of the movie.

rsm

Original Poster
I could definitely see some throw-away lines or background dialogue in upcoming movies refer to the planet at GE or refer to the battle by name that the resort plot revolves around. Would be a nice touch.

zakattack99

In the Parks
No
I could definitely see some throw-away lines or background dialogue in upcoming movies refer to the planet at GE or refer to the battle by name that the resort plot revolves around. Would be a nice touch.

This is what I am assuming. Planet will be cannon and depending on what the hotel is based on (starship or place) that will be cannon. I would even say that some of the invented characters will be cannon as well as parts of the rides. For example I doubt the adventure in Alcatraz will be cannon but the battle it takes place in will be. Stuff like that.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
What Disney does is canon, whether in GE or the resort. What you may do there in reaction is not.

At D23 there were lots of talk of the connectivity of GE with the SW universe. After all, BB8 was in the model and there's a Millennium Falcon ride. And talk of the resort made mention that the famous characters might not be there because they had their own stories, but, everything will mesh.

This is not necessarily true. For example LEGO Star Wars: The Freemaker Adventures is not considered canon.

I stand corrected.

Since my rule of thumb has just been shattered, then I don't really know for sure whether the characters and plotlines developed for GE or the SWResort are canon. The bigwigs at D23 certainly made it sound like it would be since they kept talking about how it's really connected to the the movies, with characters from the movie knowing about GE and the people inhabiting GE knowing about the events of the movie.
You're both right. Everything Disney does that is set in the Star Wars Universe is canon. LEGO Star Wars doesn't count because it's not set in the Star Wars universe, it's set in the LEGO universe. Rey didn't do that silly thing, a LEGO figure of Rey did.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
afMFp0X.png

More from Pablo here:

https://twitter.com/pablohidalgo/status/882067402841665536

tissandtully

With Disney's acquisition of the Star Wars franchise they officially purged a chunk of the EU from canon, and have since been very diligent in coordinating all 'new' material as canon (comics, TV shows films, novels, etc). It would only make sense that the new planet being created for Galaxy's Edge would be considered a canon location, and similarly the starship resort a canon vessel.

But with the push for interactive, personalized story lines for each guest, obviously it would be impractical to consider each guest's experience a canon storyline - but it does raise some fun questions regarding the is/should/what ifs of canonizing the theme parks to some level. From an official story-centric imagineering standpoint, are the theme parks recreations of canon locations - or the 'real' locations themselves?

Personally I'm okay if dropping my ice cream cone within Galaxy's Edge is not considered an official part of Star Wars lore.
Probably Nikon, they sponsor WDW now.

FigmentJedi

I stand corrected.

Of course Lego Star Wars stuff isn't canon. It's a purely comedic Star Wars universe inhabited by Lego people.

Not the best example to bring up when debating how canon GE will be.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Of course Lego Star Wars stuff isn't canon. It's a purely comedic Star Wars universe inhabited by Lego people.

Not the best example to bring up when debating how canon GE will be.

I was just refuting the idea that everything Star Wars being created under the Disney is name is automatically canon.

Cosmic Commando

I feel like I remember an interview where someone from Lucasfilm talked about literally finding a spot on the map to put Galaxy's Edge, so it certainly seems like they're making it canon... if my memory isn't betraying me. ;)

Karakasa

Yeah, I'm guessing that while we, the guests/visitors, won't be canon to the universe, the basic plot of the rides (probably the best outcome in the Millenium Falcon's case) and any new characters will be. After all, the original Star Tours was referenced in the original EU/current Legends, albeit, they didn't blow up the Death Star, but that joyride did happen IIRC.

... with that in mind, I have to wonder when it's set. Between VII and VIII? Does this mean Chewie just took the Falcon after Rey started training with Luke? I do wonder, as well, if that means the Star Wars Launch Bay will remain at Tomorrowland in DL and the Animation Courtyard at HS - in order to interact with characters who wouldn't fit in Star Wars land, like Rey (since she'll be busy with Luke during GE) and Vader (since, well, he's dead). I mean, I can't really see Disney Parks shuttering the opportunity to meet Vader completely, but, the Star Wars branch of Disney wouldn't be having him show up when he should be dead.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom