Are Animatronic Shows a thing of the Past?

Are animatronics shows a thing of the past?

• Yes

Votes: 30 44.8%
  • No

Votes: 37 55.2%

• Total voters

GrumpyFan

A new show, done correctly, can still be done in 100% animatronics.

However, I don't believe Disney will spend the money to do another American Adventure type showing, what I believe is perhaps the best show at WDW.

People have low attention spans today, so I believe animatronic shows have to be a lot more intricate and "amazing" to keep peoples' 0 attention span. Everything today has to be about putting "You" in the show and making it relevant to YOU. No one can just sit back and enjoy anymore.

You give a great example there of "a show, done correctly". American Adventure works because of a combination of things including music and lighting that sets the right mood mixed with incredible set pieces and very good animatronics to tie it all together.
That said, a show of similar quality, could be done, but as you mention, guests of today (and tomorrow), have a much lower attention span, and want something unique that puts them in the middle of it. With the technology that exists now though, there's really no reason why it couldn't be done. I just don't see them doing it.

BTW: I didn't vote, because my choice would be "Don't know/Not sure". I think for the most part, Yes, they probably are a thing of the past, but I sure hope not, because I think they are a big part of Disney that should continue.

Last edited:

DManRightHere

I do not believe it is a thing of the past. Monitor screens are genius to avoid AA's, but it you can't do it for everything. When you really think about what TSMM is, it's kind of sad. All screens. Lets remember that Cars Land has many AA's, and there is supposed to be much more than screens in Avatar. Oh, and lets not forget about The Little Mermaid, lots of AA's and Ursula is awesome. Robotics is still on the uprise so maintaining costs should be as reasonable as ever.

SamN'Dean

I agree. I love American Adventure and Hall of Presidents, but I doubt we will ever see a new show with AAs, certainly nothing that is on the amazing scale of American Adventure.

Flippin'Flounder

I do not believe it is a thing of the past. Monitor screens are genius to avoid AA's, but it you can't do it for everything. When you really think about what TSMM is, it's kind of sad. All screens. Lets remember that Cars Land has many AA's, and there is supposed to be much more than screens in Avatar. Oh, and lets not forget about The Little Mermaid, lots of AA's and Ursula is awesome. Robotics is still on the uprise so maintaining costs should be as reasonable as ever.
That's a good point, but screens are much cheaper than AAs, and Universal seems to be completely against them. Also both parks only seem build new rides, and the only new shows we ever get are just replacements of old ones. It's unfortunate, but that's how it is.

GrumpyFan

I think some day it would be great to see a free-walking Walt Disney animatronic who would greet guests and talk about the park(s). I think it could be done, but I highly doubt it ever will, due to the risk of it breaking down and just being a bad show.

POLY LOVER

I agree. I love American Adventure and Hall of Presidents, but I doubt we will ever see a new show with AAs, certainly nothing that is on the amazing scale of American Adventure.

but those are the shows that made WDW and Disneyland famous. If you compare the new vs old shows, its the old stuff that people love the most. What new show will last the test of time today?

Chef Mickey

You give a great example there of "a show, done correctly". American Adventure works because of a combination of things including music and lighting that sets the right mood mixed with incredible set pieces and very good animatronics to tie it all together.
That said, a show of similar quality, could be done, but as you mention, guests of today (and tomorrow), have a much lower attention span, and want something unique that puts them in the middle of it. With the technology that exists now though, there's really no reason why it couldn't be done. I just don't see them doing it.

BTW: I didn't vote, because my choice would be "Don't know/Not sure". I think for the most part, Yes, they probably are a thing of the past, but I sure hope not, because I think they are a big part of Disney that should continue.
I want to say the American Adventure cost something like $60M when it was built in the early 80s, probably well over $100m investment today. Maybe @marni1971 knows the exact figure. I just know it's too much for Today's leadership to consider.

No expense was spared in the theater, the score, the lighting, story, etc. Everything is just top notch and that's why it's STILL amazing even 34 years later..

I just don't see Disney building anything like that since they built Expedition Everest. What's their last "great" attraction? More to the point, what's their last "great" show presentation? Festival of the Lion King? That's over 15 years old, I think.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Original Poster
I want to say the American Adventure cost something like $60M when it was built in the early 80s, probably well over $100m investment today. Maybe @marni1971 knows the exact figure. I just know it's too much for Today's leadership to consider.

No expense was spared in the theater, the score, the lighting, story, etc. Everything is just top notch and that's why it's STILL amazing even 34 years later..

I just don't see Disney building anything like that since they built Expedition Everest. What's their last "great" attraction? More to the point, what's their last "great" show presentation? Festival of the Lion King? That's over 15 years old, I think.

probably the best original thing WDW has ever gotten most recently would be Mission: Space.. And that's not really saying much.

7 dwarves and little mermaid really aren't up to par as being classified as "great." So I see your point.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Original Poster
I like it. It's something different, and way more fun than MIB or BLSRS. 7D will probably die down like the Little Mermaid did. Maybe not as low, but more to Pooh or Buzz length.

I guess it is just a huge difference in opinion. I would take Buzz or definitely MIB over TMM any day dx

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom