Are Animatronic Shows a thing of the Past?

Are animatronics shows a thing of the past?

• Yes

Votes: 30 44.8%
  • No

Votes: 37 55.2%

• Total voters

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Original Poster
So It just seems very unlikely that Disney would ever create a brand new animatronic show again. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe their last attempt at creating an animatronic show was Food Rocks at EPCOT.. And that got criticized for the bad animatronic quality, despite an actually funny script.

So here are the AA shows in WDW..

The Enchanted Tiki Room
The Country Bear Jamboree
The Hall of Presidents
The Carousel of Progress
The American Adventure

On top of this list, is a few other AA shows that have been long gone for many years now. Yet, we never seem to have a new AA show in the works for WDW. I believe this is because of the lack of popularity for animatronic shows.. Every single show listed above never seems to have more than a handful of guests.

Glasgow

Interesting question. They are really expensive to develop, purchase and maintain and the almighty dollar dictates not investing so much into a relatively static technology. However, I think there is an ebb and flow to this sort of thing. People will eventually tire of the screens and expect a more immersive and life-like experience, particularly with shows. I think the Yeti really soured the accountants on the use of AAs - seriously. I don't expect a rebirth of the AA show for a while tho, since UNI has shown that you can combine screens and live action quite effectively on rides at least.

Cmdr_Crimson

The problem with the AA Cabaret style shows now is the Technology that's being used. Many attractions that involve AA's are decades older than the new versions which seem clunky and with that they try to upgrade them the best way they could with more fluid movement.

I for one enjoyed Food Rocks. Yes people said it was a far fetched mediocre Kitchen Kabaret..But, look at it during the 90's with it's look and way it was presented..It's pretty much the early 90's the way we've seen it...Flashy colors, Edgy designs, And a 3D Depth perspective that make you feel like your ready to get something to eat..It's like an oddball Eggo commercial.
cfe389643LARGE.jpg

WondersOfLife

Original Poster
The problem with the AA Cabaret style shows now is the Technology that's being used. Many attractions that involve AA's are decades older than the new versions which seem clunky and with that they try to upgrade them the best way they could with more fluid movement.

I for one enjoyed Food Rocks. Yes people said it was a far fetched mediocre Kitchen Kabaret..But, look at it during the 90's with it's look and way it was presented..It's pretty much the early 90's the way we've seen it...Flashy colors, Edgy designs, And a 3D Depth perspective that make you feel like your ready to get something to eat..It's like an oddball Eggo commercial.
cfe389643LARGE.jpg

Personally, my dad and I loved this show. I was like, in 2nd grade.. And I would literally spend my time racing around the theatre to see it again, and again, and again. Had the whole theatre to myself half of the time. Then I saw the boards up for Soarin' and I literally cried all day, probably ruined the entire trip for my parents. :p

POLY LOVER

I sure hope not if done with the latest and greatest AA it is very impressive. The Hall of Presidents and the American adventure are awesome. I would like to see more added in and some upgrades to existing rides. Its a Disney hallmark they need to keep it going. This is the age of robotics and they should be on the cutting edge of it. EPCOT for one should be all over robotics. They should be partners with Colleges across the US and piloting new ideas there.

Chef Mickey

4 of those are among my favorite attractions at WDW.

3 of them I basically can't envision ever losing.

A new show, done correctly, can still be done in 100% animatronics.

However, I don't believe Disney will spend the money to do another American Adventure type showing, what I believe is perhaps the best show at WDW.

People have low attention spans today, so I believe animatronic shows have to be a lot more intricate and "amazing" to keep peoples' 0 attention span. Everything today has to be about putting "You" in the show and making it relevant to YOU. No one can just sit back and enjoy anymore.

DisneyFans4Life

I would say that Voyage of the Little Mermaid has animatronics. I know people on here aren't impressed with the ride or whatever, but I think it's pretty cool and always enjoy going on it.

WondersOfLife

Original Poster
I would say that Voyage of the Little Mermaid has animatronics. I know people on here aren't impressed with the ride or whatever, but I think it's pretty cool and always enjoy going on it.

It's a ride that features animatronics. It is not a show. We will have PLENTY of rides in the future with animatronics. But no shows.

lazyboy97o

A theater being full isn't entirely a good judge of popularity as theaters can very easily have a surprisingly high hourly capacity.

DisneyFans4Life

It's a ride that features animatronics. It is not a show. We will have PLENTY of rides in the future with animatronics. But no shows.
That is true. Though I've always look at CoP as a ride versus a show, regardless of how it's classified.

I think Disney sees they can make great shows using more relevant technology, or in some cases, use live entertainment. Festival of the Lion King is a great example of live entertainment mixed with animatronics. Though the animatronics are not the "main" part of the show, they are still part of the show nonetheless. If I'm going to see a show, I'd prefer live people over animatronics.

SSH

Everything today has to be about putting "You" in the show and making it relevant to YOU. No one can just sit back and enjoy anymore.
Can I like this about 10,000 times? From cruise ships to theme parks to public voting on TV shows like The Voice, it seems every form of entertainment right now has to include audience participation or provide an interactive experience. During my last cruise, way too many of the "entertainment" offerings were passenger talent competitions or performances- not exactly my definition of professional entertainment.

POLY LOVER

Adults and children are hard to wow today. Kids are flooded with high level graphic video games and adults are just a skeptical bored class hypnotized by their cell phones and ipads. You can't get away with just so so rides and atractions anymore. AA done right can still interests and entertain folks. A blend of AA and real actors like the Lion King works well. That show still packs them in. Indiana Jones with the movie backdrops still works and they get the crowds. The new 7D mine train ride is great. Splash Mountain, need I say more.

WondersOfLife

Original Poster
If I'm going to see a show, I'd prefer live people over animatronics.

I can agree with this statement.. Depending on what the show is focusing on.

For instance.. If The Country Bear Jamboree was a show starring live actors... We would get something more like this..

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom