Apple Store at Downtown Disney?

EpcoTim

actually, the times square one is closed. the only ones are in hollywood, and union square nyc. they will shut down though. the company plans to shut down ALL megastores.

Ah, that I didn't know. Makes sense. Once Tower Records tumbled it pretty much symbolized where the big box music market was going.

Sorry for sticking my bit in here. But I think this is vastly viable. Lets not forget the iPod is Apple's biggest selling product. Not their computers. As a tourist from United Kingdom who has no local access to an Apple shop I would implore this. Even though there is Apple shops at other locations in the Orlando area... it doesn't mean Disney can't have one. I thought the main goal of Disney was to keep people on property?

Personally I love apple and I know there are alot of Apple haters out there. But Apple just doesn't have to make sales from their computers. Their computer software they sell earns them big bucks, along with itunes, ipods and Iphones. As well as tons of accessories.

This may be a small success case from my part... When I visited WDW 2 years ago, I paid a visit to the Florida mall. I went into the Apple shop as I heard alot of rave about them from everyone. I watched a demonstartion of a Mac from the sales person and i loved it. When I got home it actually inspired me to buy my mac! (and I still love it today.) So they may not make the sale at DTD, but they can market it there. The following year I went back, I went in to the apple shop and spent $200 on music software. And a following $50 on accessories.

So if you ask me (and i know not everyone is like me) I think it's a Greeeeeeat idea.

Sorry for the essay :lol:

(BTW this message... wrote from my baby... my iMac!) :sohappy:

I agree with RedDeath. I would love to see an Apple Store in DTD. I also use a Mac and an Iphone, and would love to be able to shop for things for both of these. Last year there were several dollar style junk stores that had gone in down near the Christmas Store. I would much rather see an Apple Store go in than stores with cheap junk. I would only hope they would carry some accessories with Disney characters and such on them. They could have a big cut out Mickey head on one side of the building to match the big cut out apple on the other side.... Works for me!:lol:

RETLAW

(Sigh)
You know, I'm still trying to figure out why this "IMAX is going into the Virgin Megatore building" rumor won't die already... It keeps getting explained over and over that it's not true.

Yes, IMAX is coming.
No, IMAX is not going into the now-vacant Virgin building.
They are, as lazyboy said, retrofitting existing theaters inside the existing AMC building to be IMAX.

Will they be full-size IMAX screens? Who knows. Here in New England, we have a few *huge* IMAX screens available (Jordans Furniture, for one), but there are also a couple theaters up in NH that show IMAX movies, but on a smaller-sized screen than the giant ones I got used to.

-Rob

I am aware of the rumor of the IMAX going into Virgin, the reason that rumor keeps coming back is simple....pure size of the location. I have heard that the IMAX is going to a seperate location from the existing theater, and that the screens are going to be aprox 5-6 stories tall ( just like the IMAX over on International Dr here in Orlando). and no, I did not hear this from a bus driver. :lol:

hrcollectibles

iPhones and I believe the iTouch can download music from iTunes.

Yes but not everyone is going to want an iPod touch.... I myself am not a fan of apple. I have found their customer Service to be very poor and the way the customer service reps that I have dealt with have an I am better than you attitude....Maybe we will get the Starbucks as featured in Idiocracy

pilka214

a flagship Apple store would be cool to see, but as some have said probably not a wise business move for apple. As stated earlier there are already 3 apple stores in the orlando area and anymore would just be saturating the area.

however if a flagship store were opened at DTD i believe 1 or 2 of the local stores would need to go, none in the area currently are large enough to compete with a large flagship store.

Gotta question for those here though, if apple does go in, do you think a Disney AP would get us a 10% discount, cuz that would be AWESOME!!!!

However, an Apple store could also attract folks who don't live near one, yet are interested in them and happen to go into them while on vacation, out of curiosity. I know I would have to go 45 minutes to the nearest Apple.

The Florida Mall and Mall of Milennia aren't that convenient. If I have to drive 20 minutes down a highway to get to a mall, that isn't convenient. (Sorry I'm just being biased, I live 2 minutes from a mall)

Fun2BFree

However, an Apple store could also attract folks who don't live near one, yet are interested in them and happen to go into them while on vacation, out of curiosity. I know I would have to go 45 minutes to the nearest Apple.

The Florida Mall and Mall of Milennia aren't that convenient. If I have to drive 20 minutes down a highway to get to a mall, that isn't convenient. (Sorry I'm just being biased, I live 2 minutes from a mall)

I know much has been said in the past about the 'laziness' of Americans, but I can't believe that a 20 minute drive could be considered inconvenient. The two malls have substantially more than an Apple store, and the fact that they're always so busy would indicate otherwise.

In the end, it's not about whether or not an Apple is right for DtD, it's about if DtD is right for Apple. Three stores in Orlando is plenty enough for a store specializing in infrequent boutique electronic purchases.

I know much has been said in the past about the 'laziness' of Americans, but I can't believe that a 20 minute drive could be considered inconvenient. The two malls have substantially more than an Apple store, and the fact that they're always so busy would indicate otherwise.

In the end, it's not about whether or not an Apple is right for DtD, it's about if DtD is right for Apple. Three stores in Orlando is plenty enough for a store specializing in infrequent boutique electronic purchases.

It's not so much that the time of the drive is inconvenient, it's the skill level (or lack thereof) of the drivers encountered in said twenty minutes! :rolleyes: That part is just my personal experience. I live in a little country town in NE FL, so I think that most (if not all) of the Orlando area drivers are nuts....

I'm inclined to agree about the apple store. I don't think its a match from either perspective. I just don't see many people, even ridiculously rich folks, running in and buying an iPod, laptop, or any of apple's other gadgets just because there's an apple store nearby. And if they're not selling, then they're not going to hang around long.

Of course, I'm one of the weird people that wanders off property more than a few times while visiting WDW, so I think that having two or however many malls within a thirty minute drive is plenty...:shrug:

In the end, my opinion is no to apple. Sorry! (or not!):drevil:

PaisleyMF

Now, I do have a question. If Apple opens at DtD, releases like the iPhone that people get in line days in advance or hours sometimes, who will manage the cues and if so will Disney offer FastPass for this events?

:ROFLOL::ROFLOL::ROFLOL::ROFLOL::ROFLOL::ROFLOL:

Sorry I just couldn't resist the temptation.

joshwill

To be fair, Virgin Megastore has been dropping stores left and right for a few years now. One cannot simply state the store closed because people were uninterested or not buying the products sold.

since i moved to florida 11 years ago, ive gone to wdw about 2-3 times a year. up until they closed the adventurers club, i spent every night at DTD, walking around shopping befor it opened. in all those times ive been to the west side, i think i went into virgin once. there was pretty much nothing there i couldnt get at home at best buy or borders or someplace else. as far as i was concerned there was no need for a store like that at wdw. why buy things there then have to bring them home with me when i can buy them at home?

PaisleyMF

Long time ago. Near the Moscone Center in San Fransisco a new place open called Metron that use to be a showcase of electronics and an entertainment complex.

If Disney changes to a more of this mode for DtD leave the Marketplace area as it is, changes brings DisneyQuest to the 21 century or just change it to a ESPN Zone, Bring a different type of store, and yes even an Apple Store or something similar fo that matter, it may be able to work.

Now that can also be done with the space also available at PI. The space is there it just needs to be reimagine to a whole new generation.

I propose, (and dont kill me on this one, is just an idea):
What Virgin was, make a new restaurant a new Dinning Experience "The Adventures Club Banquet" All the amazing stuff from AC in a dinner enviroment.

Manequins / 8Track to be either united as an ESPN Zone or a similar type of experience.

The old AC converted into the Comedy Warehouse or an Improv show.

The Comedy Warehouse can house the Apple Store and or other store, Maybe just maybe something form Disneyland Tokio Resort?

dreamfinder

Apple and Google are currently being investigated by the Federal Trade Commission over the presence of common board members. While the business fields of Apple and Google are much more closely related than Disney and Apple, now may not be a prudent time to flex common board membership.

It's a little more complex than this. To my understanding the boards can be completely identical. The issue becomes when more than 2% of the business for the companies in question overlap. Up until this point Google and Apple were on two very different routes. But when Google started releasing Android, they basically entered the cell phone market. Which is where Apple makes a lot of money from the iPhone. So if Android never goes above 2% of the Google revenue, then they should be ok. But if Android sales start taking off, then they may indeed have issues.

Since Disney doesn't directly make any electronic products, they should be ok. Now if Disney started to actually make their Mickey shaped TV's and MP3 players instead of just licensing their name/image to do so, then there may be a problem. But as long as Disney sticks to timeshare, resorts, and media, and Apple sticks to software and hardware, no overlap to my knowledge.

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer, nor do I even play one on TV.

Fun2BFree

But as long as Disney sticks to timeshare, resorts, and media, and Apple sticks to software and hardware, no overlap to my knowledge.

Ooh, imagine an iPark!

Everything would be made from stainless steel and glass, rides would never break down and you'd get to meet and greet Mighty Mouse. :lookaroun

Pete C

An Apple store is not a good fit for DTD. I don't know how to see it any other way. People that fly here from out of town are not going to buy a laptop to take back with them on the plane, or even car if they drove. Vacation is not the time for a purchase like that. Typically, when people are on a big vacation they set aside a budget or spending money, or have already spent so much that big ticket items are out of the question. I don't even think they would buy iPhones. Not only are they expensive, but are people really going to sit there going through a phone activation while their family is running around? They would rather buy souveniers than expensive electronics. That said, perhaps a Apple kiosk or a place that sells accessories for phones would be reallly useful.

Personally, I think the best store they could open in DTD would be Crocs. Now there is a store that would have vacationer dying to buy a pair of more comfortable sandals once they realize their feet are hurting from standing all day.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Ooh, imagine an iPark!

Everything would be made from stainless steel and glass, rides would never break down and you'd get to meet and greet Mighty Mouse. :lookaroun
And a one day admission would be $200, you wold be required to do all the attractions in a particular order, and the restaurants would only be allowed to serve one type of food. :lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom